Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spread-to Run/Spread-Option

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by GBRNation View Post
    Yeah I have noticed that as well. Have you tried the Midline QB option? I am loving this as well. The defense just can't stop me. I will definitely be focusing on running the ball this year.

Sent via Tapatalk
    I think I've tried most of the different option types in OSU and Oregon's playbooks now in the demo. I haven't had a lot of luck with the midline option. I have trouble making a read of the DT before I have to make the decision to give the ball or keep it.

One play that I really like running in my game as Oregon tonight was the read option with Counter blocking. It is still a fairly straight-forward read of the DE but the counter blocking gets a lead blocker out ahead of the RB on the give.

Check out Va Techs. They have an interesting one with a read option off the buck sweep. A nice little wrinkle.

Quote Originally Posted by uagrad90 View Post
    Check out Va Techs. They have an interesting one with a read option off the buck sweep. A nice little wrinkle.
    Thanks for the tip, I haven't played with VaTech yet. Hopefully I'll have time to give them a try tonight. I wonder if this is in the Oregon playbook and I just haven't come across it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by PDuncanOSU View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I haven't played with VaTech yet. Hopefully I'll have time to give them a try tonight. I wonder if this is in the Oregon playbook and I just haven't come across it yet?
    no... only seen it in the VT PB

As Guru said, Ive only seen it in the Tech PB. But I have been making notes for my custom PB and I will be adding this for sure.

As Guru said, Ive only seen it in the Tech PB. But I have been making notes for my custom PB and I will be adding this for sure.
    I've been making some mental notes for mine as well. I'll have to try this "Buck-sweep read" first, but I assume it'll make my playbook. Is there a play-action pass attached to it by any chance? I like some of the "trap reads", "counter reads", etc. (and I think I'll like the "buck-sweep read") but I like to focus on run plays that have linked playaction passes.

One problem I had in NCAA 13 was letting myself get carried away with the number of plays in my custom playbook. I really want to try to keep my playbook condensed this year with my favorite option plays, playactions off of them, WR screens, and the handful of drop-back pass concepts I like to use. I want to follow what a lot of the spread offenses are doing now: keep your offense simple, but run it fast.

I believe they had a PA pass of the buck sweep but I cant remember. Yea cutting down is always the hard part. This year I'm thinking fewer formations and more play options from the formations I really like.

I believe they had a PA pass of the buck sweep but I cant remember. Yea cutting down is always the hard part. This year I'm thinking fewer formations and more play options from the formations I really like.
    I am thinking pretty much the same thing. Since I want to do no-huddle I'm going to start with personnel groups. I'll probably use 10 personnel (1 RB, 0 TE, 4 WR), 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR) and 12 personnel (1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR) with all of the play concepts I want in as few formations as possible within each group. I'll then probably use one of the "big" Pistol sets as my goal-line. Last year there was a Pistol formation with 1 RB, 3 TE, and 1 WR I used as goal-line that I'll probably use again.

Do you know what formation? I am all of the sudden jacked to try this out.

EDIT: Never mind I found it. Its a very nice play. It has some great blocking. I underestimated VTs playbook.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Last edited by GBRNation; 06-26-2013 at 06:08 PM.

Do you know what formation? I am all of the sudden jacked to try this out.

EDIT: Never mind I found it. Its a very nice play. It has some great blocking. I underestimated VTs playbook.

Sent via Tapatalk
    LOL I'm glad you found it because right off the top of my head I don't remember which formation it was. I just rember there were two very similar one had a the TE on the LOS and the other had the TE slightly off the LOS in a Wing spot.

I am thinking pretty much the same thing. Since I want to do no-huddle I'm going to start with personnel groups. I'll probably use 10 personnel (1 RB, 0 TE, 4 WR), 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR) and 12 personnel (1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR) with all of the play concepts I want in as few formations as possible within each group. I'll then probably use one of the "big" Pistol sets as my goal-line. Last year there was a Pistol formation with 1 RB, 3 TE, and 1 WR I used as goal-line that I'll probably use again.
    Yea this is where I'm planning to go "10 personnel (1 RB, 0 TE, 4 WR), 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR)" but I form sub in the 10 and put a TE in the for one of the WR to keep the 11 look but give me a more spread out approach. I need to look at the big Pistol you mentioned cause that is one area I struggled last year. Inside the 5 my Off just stalled out. I was looking at either some Ace or Big Gun but will now also look at the Big Pistol.

Yea this is where I'm planning to go "10 personnel (1 RB, 0 TE, 4 WR), 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR)" but I form sub in the 10 and put a TE in the for one of the WR to keep the 11 look but give me a more spread out approach. I need to look at the big Pistol you mentioned cause that is one area I struggled last year. Inside the 5 my Off just stalled out. I was looking at either some Ace or Big Gun but will now also look at the Big Pistol.
    I like using the 2 & 3 TE formations out of the Gun and Pistol as it helps in some short yardage and goal line situations. I can also run most of the same read-option stuff and fine most of the same route concepts in these formations that I use in my spread stuff.

I've been running the spread option in NCAA since '09 and I love that it's finally getting some attention (it used to be very brutal to run it). I use some 12 personnel but my base formations are 11 personnel and of course I run a lot of 10 personnel. Don't forget about 20 or 21 personnel though. There are some great options out of these formations and they usually have options involving either HB (I always go with 2 HBs instead of 1HB, 1 FB) so the D can't tell from the formation if you're gonna run right or left.

I absolutely LOVE the midline options in the demo and there are a bunch of read option plays with pulling O-linemen (someone already mentioned the counter read and the buck sweep, which has 2 pulling linemen, but there are a bunch of other option plays with pulling lead blockers. My CPB for '13 had 25 SG formations in it but I think in '14 I'll do like others here and pare that down to roughly 17-18 so that I can have more looks per formation. I absolutely love all of the different choices available in some of these formations. In just the demo there are formations with a read right and a read left and a midline read middle and an inverted veer read on the other side and triple option left and triple option right along with PA passes to go with a lot of these. The D will have no clue which way you're gonna run the ball.

I am thinking about making this playbook in 14. Here is the link http://www.playbookexchange.net/play...readOption.pdf

here are the Formation and Plays
    Flexbone Normal
    Plays:
    Triple Option
    Fullback Trap
    Speed Option
    Fullback Draw
    Go Route
    Switch Route
    Smash Route
    Veer Dump
    Dive Choice

Do I need to add anymore plays? or Look at the flexbone normal from the custom playbook when the game drops?

Quote Originally Posted by johntom2000 View Post
    I am thinking about making this playbook in 14. Here is the link http://www.playbookexchange.net/play...readOption.pdf

here are the Formation and Plays
    Flexbone Normal
    Plays:
    Triple Option
    Fullback Trap
    Speed Option
    Fullback Draw
    Go Route
    Switch Route
    Smash Route
    Veer Dump
    Dive Choice

Do I need to add anymore plays? or Look at the flexbone normal from the custom playbook when the game drops?
    I don't know enough about the triple-option out of the flexbone and those plays in particular to specifically answer this. A couple questions to ask yourself that might help when setting up your playbook and deciding if you have enough plays.
    1. Do I have an answer for every situation I could come across in a game? (1st & 10, 2nd & short, 3rd & long, man d, zone d, etc.
    2. What do I want my base play, or plays, to be and do I have a constraint if the defense is cheating to stop those plays (for example: a playaction pass if the safeties are cheating up on a run or a bubble screen if the slot defender is cheating inside)?

PDuncan, if you haven't checked it out, in addition to SmartFootball, Eleven Warriors is doing a lot of great breakdowns for our current offense.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    PDuncan, if you haven't checked it out, in addition to SmartFootball, Eleven Warriors is doing a lot of great breakdowns for our current offense.
    Jeff,
    I check out Eleven Warriors just about every day. I like a lot of the writing there and it's the best place to keep up on all of the Buckeye news. I think I linked to some of their articles on the OSU offense at the beginning of this thread. It's great stuff.

I played a game this morning before work as . All-American difficulty for offense and defense, game speed at slow, and speed threshold at 0.
    A couple of my thoughts from this game:
    1. "Shotgun Spread HB Weak" in playbook is awesome! It has a read-option w/ a playaction, a mid-line option, inverted veer w/ a playaction, tackle-trap option, guard-trap option, counter read-option, a standard HB counter, playaction bubble screen, and a playaction WR screen. If I can add "stick" and a couple "shallow cross" plays for a drop-back pass game, I could run this one formation all game.
    2. I went no-huddle all game using only the "Shotgun Spread HB Weak" formation and alternating between the different option plays. stayed in their dime defense the whole first half, kept their safeties deep and went with the RB every time on the option. Maybe because I stayed no-huddle it kept from adjusting, but I'd like to see the D mix things up more instead of just giving the QB 8-12 yards a carry every play.

I played a game this morning before work as . All-American difficulty for offense and defense, game speed at slow, and speed threshold at 0.
    A couple of my thoughts from this game:
    1. "Shotgun Spread HB Weak" in playbook is awesome! It has a read-option w/ a playaction, a mid-line option, inverted veer w/ a playaction, tackle-trap option, guard-trap option, counter read-option, a standard HB counter, playaction bubble screen, and a playaction WR screen. If I can add "stick" and a couple "shallow cross" plays for a drop-back pass game, I could run this one formation all game.
    2. I went no-huddle all game using only the "Shotgun Spread HB Weak" formation and alternating between the different option plays. stayed in their dime defense the whole first half, kept their safeties deep and went with the RB every time on the option. Maybe because I stayed no-huddle it kept from adjusting, but I'd like to see the D mix things up more instead of just giving the QB 8-12 yards a carry every play.
    Yeah that is by far my favorite formation in the demo. I'm hoping there will be a good hb run out of it as well as a nice passing option was I am not too fond of the ones currently in it.

Edit: Words didn't come out right. Damn Swipe

Sent via Tapatalk
    Last edited by GBRNation; 07-03-2013 at 11:19 AM.

Yeah that is by far my favorite formation in the demo. I'm hoping there will be a good hb run out of it as well as a nice passing option was I ask not too found of the ones currently in it.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Does anyone know if has this formation in their playbook? A lot of the pass plays I like are used in the Air Raid playbooks. Any formation I can find that has a lot of read-option plays, play-action off of those, and air-raid passes such as Shallow Cross, Stick, and Spot will be something I want in my CPB.