Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spread-to Run/Spread-Option

• Facebook
  • Display

Spread-to Run/Spread-Option

With the spread option obviously being a focus of NCAA 14 I thought I'd start a thread here to post your favorite plays from the spread in NCAA 14, share your spread option playbooks, or just discuss the offense in general.

Here are some links to articles about the spread-to-run offense that Urban Meyer and OC Tom Herman are running at OSU:

Urban Meyer/Tom Herman Spread

I'll post some more links later on. smartfootball.com is a great place to learn more about the Xs & Os of football.

Does the Flexbone count? Paul Johnson calls his offense a Spread Option.
    The Flexbone is my primary offense but I do use the Shotgun options as well. I am dying to see what they have added to the Flex and Wing bone offenses.
    I am in love with all the new options in the game this year. It is going to be hard for me to trim the offense down to a usable # for my playbook. I love the new F OVER TWINS set. I also like the options with the Motion man as the dive back. Jet Sweep now has an inside Zone play as well

Quote Originally Posted by RussellW65 View Post
    Does the Flexbone count? Paul Johnson calls his offense a Spread Option.
    The Flexbone is my primary offense but I do use the Shotgun options as well. I am dying to see what they have added to the Flex and Wing bone offenses.
    I am in love with all the new options in the game this year. It is going to be hard for me to trim the offense down to a usable # for my playbook. I love the new F OVER TWINS set. I also like the options with the Motion man as the dive back. Jet Sweep now has an inside Zone play as well
    I was thinking more of the shotgun/pistol spread option stuff, but I think a lot of the same concepts are used in both offenses just out of different formations so either works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PDuncanOSU View Post
    I was thinking more of the shotgun/pistol spread option stuff, but I think a lot of the same concepts are used in both offenses just out of different formations so either works for me.
    I will probably be running a lot of Sproption this year. The Oregon PB is just to sweet

Here are a few zone and option articles I've written for my blog. I run a zone option offense at a small HS in Florida. If you have any Q's let me know

Veer and inverted veer

Attacking the 5-technique

Speed option with shovel

The evolution of the pitchman

ironman you must be a coach huey member... only one coach I know who teaches the terms dash and flash

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

I am, I'm ironmanfootball there too.

yeah I figured with those names you have read togs stuff... nice to have a fellow coach around

Does tog call it flash? I made it up for my veer plays.

I'm really enjoying using the spread option this demo. I used it a ton last year and never had problems with it so it is nice to see it get even better. I'm really enjoying the inverted veer. I absolutely love this play. Seems like I am always getting a first down. What are are your opinions on this play?

Sent via Tapatalk

he named his inverted veer dash and jet inverted veer flash... only place I had ever seen those terms until I peeked at your blog

Ah ok. Dash is my dive option w veer blocking, flash (flip) is my inverted veer.

Quote Originally Posted by GBRNation View Post
    I'm really enjoying using the spread option this demo. I used it a ton last year and never had problems with it so it is nice to see it get even better. I'm really enjoying the inverted veer. I absolutely love this play. Seems like I am always getting a first down. What are are your opinions on this play?

Sent via Tapatalk
    I also used the read option a lot last year and am enjoying it in the demo. I think the read option and the inverted veer will be the base of my offense this year. I especially like that these two plays typically have playaction passes and/or playaction screens linked to them.

One thing I've noticed, granted in a small sample size, is that the DE seems to take the RB on the inverted veer every time but mixes it up on the read option.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironmanfootball View Post
    Here are a few zone and option articles I've written for my blog. I run a zone option offense at a small HS in Florida. If you have any Q's let me know

Veer and inverted veer

Attacking the 5-technique

Speed option with shovel

The evolution of the pitchman
    I've never coached, or even played, organized football but am really interested by a lot of these spread concepts. Ever since Urban Meyer got to OSU I've been reading anything I can find on his offense and other spread-to-run offenses. Thanks for posting these.

I've never coached, or even played, organized football but am really interested by a lot of these spread concepts. Ever since Urban Meyer got to OSU I've been reading anything I can find on his offense and other spread-to-run offenses. Thanks for posting these.
    Joe Daniel did a podcast on it, maybe #3? Here

There's the mesh point podcast too.

But I love talking ball so anything you want to know, just ask

I also used the read option a lot last year and am enjoying it in the demo. I think the read option and the inverted veer will be the base of my offense this year. I especially like that these two plays typically have playaction passes and/or playaction screens linked to them.

One thing I've noticed, granted in a small sample size, is that the DE seems to take the RB on the inverted veer every time but mixes it up on the read option.
    Yeah I have noticed that as well. Have you tried the Midline QB option? I am loving this as well. The defense just can't stop me. I will definitely be focusing on running the ball this year.

Sent via Tapatalk

There's the mesh point podcast too.
    which mesh do you coach? i am a point method guy

Point vs ride and read? I like ride with using the elbow to shove him off when QB keeps. Slip arm out on give. Learned from MacPherson at Ridgeview.

Point vs ride and read? I like ride with using the elbow to shove him off when QB keeps. Slip arm out on give. Learned from MacPherson at Ridgeview.
    Where do you coach at in Florida?