Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PGA Tour Talk

• Facebook
  • Display

PGA Tour Talk

Wish I could get off work early to watch this today, but this week's U.S. Open is at a very challenging course, Merion.

If you're wondering what those weird things are on the flagsticks, this will explain it:

http://golf.about.com/od/historyofgo...on-baskets.htm

One of the signature things about Merion Golf Club is that its flagsticks aren't topped by flags, but rather by baskets. Wicker baskets, painted red on the front nine and orange on the back nine. The baskets are a symbol of Merion, used in the club's logo. Smaller versions top the pins on the practice green, and smaller versions still are used inside the clubhouse.
    But why baskets and not flags?

The origin of Merion's wicker baskets dates to a trip that Merion course designer Hugh Wilson made to Europe in 1912, a year after Merion's initial construction phase. Wilson toured some of the great courses in Britain and Europe at that time.

It is known that baskets were used at some British courses in that era, and earlier, and, presumably, Wilson saw such baskets and liked the look, the charm, the tradition, or something else. (Baskets in Britain had a practical use: they survived the strong seaside winds better than did the flags of the time.)

But where did Wilson see the baskets? At which clubs specifically? That's not known.

(There's another story that is often bandied about: that Wilson got the idea from Scottish shepherds, whose walking sticks, according to the story, were topped by baskets in which they stored their lunch. This has all the hallmarks of a mythology invented later on, and there's no reason to treat the idea credulously.)

On Merion's website, the club states that the origin of the baskets "is a mystery to this day."

Merion points out that the extensive newspaper coverage in the first couple years after Merion East opened in 1912 fails to mention the baskets at all. "It could be assumed they were not there," the Merion website says.

But in 1915, William Flynn (superintendent at Merion, assistant to Wilson during the building of the courses, and later a famous course architect) received a patent for a wicker basket design, according to the club's history. And from that point forward, newspaper and magazine stories about Merion often mentioned the baskets. Flynn's baskets also turned up at a few other prominent American golf clubs in the early part of the 20th century.

Does that mean Flynn, and not Wilson, was the one who created the basket tradition at Merion? Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps Flynn created the baskets at Wilson's request or under Wilson's direction. We don't know.

But the Merion historian seems to accept, based on the short history published on Merion's website, that the baskets originated in 1915 and not at the opening of Merion East in 1912.

Even if we accept that timeline, we're still left wondering why Merion's flagsticks don't have flags, and why they do have baskets.

One possible answer is that Wilson (and Wilson/Flynn) wanted to make Merion a golf course that required as much analytical thinking as possible. The layout of the course, with its multiple misaligned teeing grounds and offset fairways and false-front greens suggests that. Here is a golf course, its designers seem to be saying, on which you'll have to use all your senses, all your analytical skills, to think your way around.

And removing the flags from the flagsticks? That removes potentially valuable information: Which way the wind is blowing, and how strong the wind is blowing. Flags flap in the wind; the baskets don't. To this day, there are no yardage markers on Merion East, and the club prohibits its members and guests from using rangefinders.

The wicker baskets, in addition to their look and their charm, add to the challenge of playing Merion East.

That seems like a good theory about why the baskets are there. But it's just a theory. Maybe Wilson and/or Flynn just liked that look of the baskets, the way they harkened to golf's origins in Scotland, and wanted to do something different.

Yes. That is Billy Horschel wearing octopus pants for the final round of the U.S. Open. This dude is becoming one of my favorite new golfers

Open Championship this Thursday

Looking forward to it, can't find if it will be streamed though while I'm at work.

At any rate I'll record it but still enjoy watching from work

Since it's through ESPN, probably will be through their site...which naturally doesn't support my provider

Doesn't help that coverage starts at 3am.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    lol I remember last year one night I was up when it first came on lol

By the time the groups I want to see start Thursday it will be around 9:45 est I believe if I have my math/time zone difference down lol

I'm lucky if I wake up on Sunday in time to watch the winner

lol

Someone should let me borrow their Comcast login info haha

In return I'll let you borrow my DirecTV info haha and you can watch Max, HBO Go and all that

I did get up for last year's Open. I remember seeing most of the final pairing.

Try 2 Am

Was able to watch it after all. The company that sponsors or provides the stream is the same company that is our ISP.

Didn't have to sign in or anything, just went to the watchespn.com website instead of trying to use the links on the main page. Kept telling me to login there.

Didn't get anything done today from 8:30 to now lol

Fans get to vote on the pin positions for the par 3 hole 15 at Oak Hill for the PGA Championship. That's pretty cool. Jack Nicklaus came up with the idea.

Fans get to vote on the pin positions for the par 3 hole 15 at Oak Hill for the PGA Championship. That's pretty cool. Jack Nicklaus came up with the idea.
    He came up with the idea or is sponsoring it? lol

Didn't think they would give that power to anyone....then again I should of since players' were able to alter the course of this past Open Championship last week haha

I voted for C earlier. Looks nasty

Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
    He came up with the idea or is sponsoring it? lol

Didn't think they would give that power to anyone....then again I should of since players' were able to alter the course of this past Open Championship last week haha

I voted for C earlier. Looks nasty
    From what I read he came up with it.

Oh yeah, I'm going to vote for the nasty one.

Ah ok. Damn figured this had to be something someone has thought of already just didn't have the pull to actually get it done.

C is running away with it. It's not even close

Yeah earlier it was ahead easily. Thought A could give it a run for the money. I know a pin placement we had a few seasons ago in TGA was further back and tucked near the right edge near the water.

We had fucking breezy or strong winds on too...I hit it in the water that round.

Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
    Yeah earlier it was ahead easily. Thought A could give it a run for the money. I know a pin placement we had a few seasons ago in TGA was further back and tucked near the right edge near the water.

We had fucking breezy or strong winds on too...I hit it in the water that round.
    I think when I voted it was 61%, and 2nd was 18%.

It was 44% to 13% when I voted

Going to be alot left and likely bunker shots on that hole. Which if in the bunker that shot is going to be absolutely scary to look at. And the green probably goes down hill to the water.....ooooh

When I voted last night, C had 63%, A had 19%. C is definitely running away with it. C just looks so nasty, I had to vote for it. That is truly a pin placement deserving of the final round.

link?