Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 83

Thread: Dragon Age: Inquisition (PS4, PS3, XB1, 360, PC)

  1. #21
    Administrator JBHuskers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    35,244
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: JBHuskers PSN ID: JBHuskers Steam ID: 76561198035858888 JBHuskers's Nintendo Network ID: JBHuskers JBHuskers's OriginID: JBHuskers
    You have to earn enough "power" to be able to send a scout to a new region to unlock it. However with so much to do in the Hinterlands to start, it doesn't take much to start unlocking new territories. Every area is open world though.
    The dude abides.

  2. #22
    Heisman jaymo76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,947
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: jaymo1976 PSN ID: jaymo12476
    Just noticed that this game is in EA ACCESS. I'm not sold on it yet so maybe I will just buy ACCESS and then have "access" to it. $30 for a year membership for Access or $69.99 for the base game. Only downside would be that it would have to be on my One so no multiplayer for me as I have very few xbox friends.

  3. #23
    Heisman Rudy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kingsville, ON
    Posts
    6,945
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: rudyjuly2
    Or $5 for a one month membership Jaymo.

    It's not truly open world Jaymo since you do unlock world's but there is a huge area to check out in each world. This is supposed to be one of the biggest games ever made. And parts of worlds are accessible but you really can't go there unless you want to die. I think you have to do this to a degree for the story. But I'm glad there are restrictions. I've played for 16 or17 hours and I am finally comfortable with things but still don't fully know exactly what I'm doing. There is so many things to keep track of that you should be glad it's not completely open. Exploration is a big part of this game.

    If I had any advice it would be to not get hung up on what you don't know. Don't worry about missing out on something and just do stuff. Play. I really felt overwhelmed in the beginning because I worried about that stuff.

  4. #24
    Administrator JBHuskers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    35,244
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: JBHuskers PSN ID: JBHuskers Steam ID: 76561198035858888 JBHuskers's Nintendo Network ID: JBHuskers JBHuskers's OriginID: JBHuskers
    Once you get the hang of the journal and knowing what to do and which parts are side quests and which are the main, you'll be fine.
    The dude abides.

  5. #25
    Heisman Rudy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kingsville, ON
    Posts
    6,945
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: rudyjuly2
    I haven't even used the journal. I guess I should. This is actually a good help resource too.
    http://help.ea.com/ca/article/ea-hel...e-inquisition/

    Last edited by Rudy; 05-19-2015 at 10:33 AM.

  6. #26
    Heisman jaymo76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,947
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: jaymo1976 PSN ID: jaymo12476
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Or $5 for a one month membership Jaymo.

    It's not truly open world Jaymo since you do unlock world's but there is a huge area to check out in each world. This is supposed to be one of the biggest games ever made. And parts of worlds are accessible but you really can't go there unless you want to die. I think you have to do this to a degree for the story. But I'm glad there are restrictions. I've played for 16 or17 hours and I am finally comfortable with things but still don't fully know exactly what I'm doing. There is so many things to keep track of that you should be glad it's not completely open. Exploration is a big part of this game.

    If I had any advice it would be to not get hung up on what you don't know. Don't worry about missing out on something and just do stuff. Play. I really felt overwhelmed in the beginning because I worried about that stuff.
    That's right they do have monthly subscription. If memory serves the free trial is six hours. Think that is enough time to make a decision? Also, how does this game compare with Witcher III? Seem to be some similarities for sure.

  7. #27
    Heisman Rudy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kingsville, ON
    Posts
    6,945
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: rudyjuly2
    6 hours will give you a taste but isn't enough I swear.

    Witcher 3 is one man. You have a team of 4 in DA. Witcher 3 comes out tomorrow so wait for reviews. I think both games take a long time to complete. I think DA is less action oriented but not completely sure.

  8. #28
    Heisman Rudy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kingsville, ON
    Posts
    6,945
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: rudyjuly2
    A generic guide for what/when you should be doing things based on your power level. I'm going to hit Val Royeaux later. I'm level 7 and I've stayed in the Hinterlands until this morning when I checked out the Storm's Coast.

    Haven: 1+ (1-4)
    Hinterlands: 2+ (4-7, 8-12)
    Val Royeaux: 4+ (4-6)
    Storm Coast: 5+ (7-11, 13-15)
    Fallow Mire: 8+ (8-10, 12-15)
    Forbidden Oasis: 8+ (8-12, 5-15, 18-20)
    Skyhold: 10+
    Crestwood: 10+ (10-13)
    Western Approach: 10+ (10-14)
    Exalted Plains: 10+ (10-16)
    Emerald Graves: 12+ (14-20)
    Emprise du Lion: 16+ (16-22)
    Hissing Wastes: 16+ (19-23)

  9. #29
    Heisman Rudy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kingsville, ON
    Posts
    6,945
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: rudyjuly2
    I honestly think I would like the Witcher 3 better than DAI. DAI's story hasn't sucked me in yet after 20 hours. I've largely done side missions and while fun nothing is blowing me away. Combat still feels too fast to me and I feel like I just spam different spells as a mage. I wonder if I should have taken a rogue archer instead. I still enjoy the game and look forward to playing more but I liked Shadow of Mordor better. The combat was more thrilling to me. Despite various strategies in DAI that you can set the combat doesn't feel strategic to me (but I still may be clueless). I don't use the tactical cam.

  10. #30
    Heisman jaymo76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,947
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: jaymo1976 PSN ID: jaymo12476
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I honestly think I would like the Witcher 3 better than DAI. DAI's story hasn't sucked me in yet after 20 hours. I've largely done side missions and while fun nothing is blowing me away. Combat still feels too fast to me and I feel like I just spam different spells as a mage. I wonder if I should have taken a rogue archer instead. I still enjoy the game and look forward to playing more but I liked Shadow of Mordor better. The combat was more thrilling to me. Despite various strategies in DAI that you can set the combat doesn't feel strategic to me (but I still may be clueless). I don't use the tactical cam.
    I think you will like Witcher 3. I am having a blast. Granted I am new to the series but I like exploring and questing. Plus, the graphics are spectacular and the main character is really likable.

  11. #31
    Heisman Rudy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kingsville, ON
    Posts
    6,945
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: rudyjuly2
    Jaymo I had something similar to your long cave campaign in Witcher 3.

    Do NOT do "in your heart shall burn" until you are 100% ready. I was annoyed in that when you normally unlock a new area you can still change party members and travel back to where you were. But this board involves a major story change and you have to finish it. I didn't have many potions and was using a new member who I hadn't mapped his potions either. On hard I was getting my ass kicked for an hour. I was halfway through with almost no health and no chance. Had to load an older save file and will avoid that until I'm stronger.

  12. #32
    Heisman jaymo76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,947
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: jaymo1976 PSN ID: jaymo12476
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Jaymo I had something similar to your long cave campaign in Witcher 3.

    Do NOT do "in your heart shall burn" until you are 100% ready. I was annoyed in that when you normally unlock a new area you can still change party members and travel back to where you were. But this board involves a major story change and you have to finish it. I didn't have many potions and was using a new member who I hadn't mapped his potions either. On hard I was getting my ass kicked for an hour. I was halfway through with almost no health and no chance. Had to load an older save file and will avoid that until I'm stronger.
    In Witcher 3 I am really, really bad at making potions. Does Dragon Age focus a lot on alchemy? It seems like it does from the Twitch streams I have watched.

    Also, are you starting to come around on the game? One of your last posts stated you were not enjoying it as much as you hoped. Going to try Witcher in the future?

  13. #33
    Heisman Rudy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kingsville, ON
    Posts
    6,945
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: rudyjuly2
    I do like the game. I'm just not blown away by it. Potions in DAI are easy. You have a few different types early on. You just have to replenish them at camp when you use them. There are a lot of Potions to unlock yet. Crafting is more intensive although you can pick up a lot of loot when running around. You can buy stuff too. There is a lot but I've read Witcher 3 is far more complex and poorly organized. The fact you have to maintain weapons is also harder.

    I've played almost 25 hours and I might be 20% done. I am enjoying it but I'm very curious about witcher. Sounds like your side quests are more interesting and more impact full on the game.

    I always stay as my created Mage and auto level up everyone else. I think being an Archer would be cool. I need to practice fighting with my other teammates as they have a lot of different attacks and I have no clue what they do. As a Mage I have electricity/storm, fire, ice and defensive barriers.

  14. #34
    Heisman Rudy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kingsville, ON
    Posts
    6,945
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: rudyjuly2
    Just reached Skyhold after almost 40 hours of playing. Feels like the game is just starting because I'm still early in the story. These RPG games are long. I kind of wish they were a bit shorter but I'll see how I keep liking it. I think I would have had more fun as a rogue than Mage but enjoying it although not blown away either.

  15. #35
    Administrator JBHuskers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    35,244
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: JBHuskers PSN ID: JBHuskers Steam ID: 76561198035858888 JBHuskers's Nintendo Network ID: JBHuskers JBHuskers's OriginID: JBHuskers
    Skyhold is a sweet place. I think I got there around 25 hours in

    I don't mind the length at all. I put in several hundred hours on Elder Scrolls and Fallout games. I actually love it, and hell it makes it worth the price of purchase.
    The dude abides.

  16. #36
    Heisman Rudy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kingsville, ON
    Posts
    6,945
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: rudyjuly2
    I do think I made a mistake by being a Mage. I've stuck with him exclusively but in my last fight I was down to only Blackwell and he was fun. You can dodge-roll and have a lot of options. I don't understand Sera's moves but she has a lot too. As a Mage I have no defensive moves. I just stand from afar and cast spells. I haven't developed a good barrier spell for healing but either way it's more repetitive imo. I'm going to explore using the other characters more in fights.

  17. #37
    Administrator JBHuskers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    35,244
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: JBHuskers PSN ID: JBHuskers Steam ID: 76561198035858888 JBHuskers's Nintendo Network ID: JBHuskers JBHuskers's OriginID: JBHuskers
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I do think I made a mistake by being a Mage. I've stuck with him exclusively but in my last fight I was down to only Blackwell and he was fun. You can dodge-roll and have a lot of options. I don't understand Sera's moves but she has a lot too. As a Mage I have no defensive moves. I just stand from afar and cast spells. I haven't developed a good barrier spell for healing but either way it's more repetitive imo. I'm going to explore using the other characters more in fights.
    I am a warrior and my main team that I roll with is the warrior chick, the midget crossbow dude, and a mage.
    The dude abides.

  18. #38
    Heisman Rudy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kingsville, ON
    Posts
    6,945
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: rudyjuly2
    I've got almost 50 hours in now. Level 12 and the level guide in post 28 is pretty good for me on Hard. I just hope I'm done this when madden comes out. It will take over 100 hours to finish and that feels too long imo. I swear it feels like a sports game in that I'm just doing many seasons of similar things. Nothing spectacular is happening - just enjoying and going along for the ride. I try to play a bit every day but not always possible. I will have to try witcher out around Christmas.

  19. #39
    Heisman Rudy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kingsville, ON
    Posts
    6,945
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: rudyjuly2
    I'm almost 85 hours in. Some of the side mission stuff gets more interesting later on as you storm keeps and battle some tougher enemies. The one thing that annoys me is the way the main story line progresses. With every other mission you could abort and go back later if you are getting your butt kicked. Not the main stories as you stay locked in on autosaves. I know for an earlier one I had to go back and load an older save file. I have at least 4 save files for that reason. For this last story which was supposed to be level 12-15 I was getting my butt kicked. I have played on hard and when I'm at the top of the range the main stories are tough but doable. I was level 17 and my party members 16 and I had to drop down to normal to finish the Duchess. I may have not had the best mix of fighters but it was ridiculous.

  20. #40
    Heisman Rudy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kingsville, ON
    Posts
    6,945
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: rudyjuly2
    I'm over 90 hours in and I still have at least three main story missions left. I really hope to finish this before Madden releases. Quite frankly the game is too long. I still like playing it but it's largely since I have nothing else to play either. Too many fetch quests and uninspired side things to do. But you have to do most of them in order to earn power to unlock main missions and get XP to be able to finish the tougher story missions. Some side stuff is cool but too much is unnecessary. I may lower the difficulty just to finish this game out. The story itself is OK. I really don't know how this game got so many 90+ scores. Obviously I have played a lot so it's hard for me to give it less than an 80 but there isn't a lot that really excels imo.

    I'd like to see less fetch quests, more side stuff and decisions that impact the world around me, maybe a city or two instead of largely rural areas, more banter from my team that even gives me background on the world instead of endless lore items I need to read. The combat is fine although I think warriors or rogues would be more interesting than my Mage.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •