Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Clancy's The Division (PS4, XB1)

• Facebook
  • Display
    Got my code, it's downloading now!
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    Actually, this is for any platform. That said, it's getting hit hard and I just now got in to get mine.

I was just going to say screw it to the beta since I'm busy this weekend, haven't yet gotten around to preordering it, and didn't have any codes to get in the beta, but what the hell, I was able to get signed up through the GeForce/NVidia site. Beta code should be showing up in my email shortly. Probably gonna go PS4 for the beta, I'm assuming that's what most everyone here is signing up on.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    Actually, this is for any platform. That said, it's getting hit hard and I just now got in to get mine.
    I won mine off a giveaway on Twitter.

Just received my UFC Beta key a few minutes ago also

Got my beta code within an hour from that Nvidia giveaway. It was over halfway downloaded on my PS4 when I had to leave for work.

Just got on to play the beta. I started playing for a little bit and then I got kicked out because of server issues. Not sure what's going on, but when I went back in I got kicked out several more times. Hopefully this issue is fixed quickly!

Anyone gonna be around the next 2-3 hours? I just jumped onto the beta, ran into some other players in the camp, but headed out into NYC on my own. Got into a couple gunfights with some NPCs, nothing hard so far. It looks like your friends physically show up on your map, so you can meet up with them in the city. So if anyone is gonna be on PS4 here in the next couple hours, just look for me running around NYC.

After about 3 hours, I gotta get ready for work, probably won't be on PS4 at all again until after work Saturday night.

Teamed up for, what, two hours or so, however long it was, with myersc24. We had a good time. For being as limited as you are in the beta, this is actually a fun game. Being able to explore and find things to pick up along the way, I've found some good weapons just running around exploring, as well as a sweet Military SCAR-H marksman rifle for beating the boss on the storyline mission and essentially completing the beta story.

We had a lot of fun. It's set up nicely where for the first hour or so, I was just running around by myself exploring and checking things out. In the Base/Camp, whatever it was called, you can physically see other players running around, apparently to give you the option to team up with them, but once you get out into the city itself, you never see anyone else, so once you cross a certain threshold at the camp, you must essentially just end up in a single player set up until you team and party up with randoms or friends.

While we had no problem going through the mission at Madison Square Garden with just the two of us, I wonder if it has a fluctuating difficulty. If you go into the mission solo, you may not face as many enemies where as if you go in with 2 people, you'll face a good amount more, and if you go in with 4 people, you'll face a ton of enemies. I'm assuming it's set up that way, otherwise some missions you'd have no choice but to team up with a bunch of people.

While we're already done with the "story" of the beta, still plenty of exploring and side missions to work on. Can't wait to jump back in and dig back in tomorrow night after work. And while I was closely watching this game when it was first announced, after it got pushed back and after stretches of no news, it had largely fallen off my radar. After a couple hours of playing the beta, I'm on board 100%. This is definitely being pre-ordered!

Edit - Not sure the reason of myers' connection issues, he kept getting disconnected a bunch while we were teamed up (including during the middle of a couple of gunfights ), but I was able to stay connected and had absolutely zero issues connection-wise or lag-wise, so we're not sure if it's just something with his connection or internet on his end or what.
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 01-29-2016 at 06:30 PM.

Ubisoft announced its DLC plans for its open-world third-person shooter Tom Clancy’s The Division this week, revealing that Season Pass buyers will receive three expansions in the months after the game’s launch.

The Season Pass will also offer up new weapons, equipment, and “new types of gameplay that are designed to engage players after they’ve completed the main portion of The Division.”

First up for Season Pass owners is “Underground,” an expansion in which players can explore the depths of New York City with a squad of up to four players. “Survival,” The Division‘s second planned expansion, is a challenging mini-campaign designed to test the skills of veteran players who have completed the game’s main storyline.

Ubisoft revealed few details regarding the third planned expansion, “Last Stand,” which will arrive as The Division‘s final batch of mission-based DLC later this year.

Players who purchase The Division‘s Season Pass will receive all three expansions as they’re released, along with other exclusive in-game content. All players who purchase the Season Pass before The Division‘s launch date can look forward to a collection of day-one digital bonus goodies, including a sawed-off shotgun, character outfits, and weapon skins.

Season Pass buyers get additional perks every month via in-game events and scheduled “content drops.” Though the bulk of The Division‘s expanded content will come at a cost, Ubisoft notes that all players will be able to access free updates throughout 2016, including new gameplay modes and team-based challenges.

Ubisoft launched a closed beta for The Division this week exclusively for pre-order customers. Early adopters can sample The Division‘s gameplay over the course of this weekend before the beta ends on January 31st.

The Division‘s Season Pass is bundled with the Gold Edition and Collector’s Edition of the game, and can be purchased separately at launch. Tom Clancy’s The Division premieres for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC platforms on March 8th.

Link

THE DIVISION POST-LAUNCH PLANS INCLUDE THREE EXPANSIONS, FREE CONTENT
    by Giancarlo Varanini

Ubisoft has released early details on The Division’s post-release content, as the development team has a complete post-launch plan to keep the experience fresh for all players. This includes some information on the three expansions that are included with the game’s Season Pass. These paid expansions not only have new content, but also new gear, and new types of gameplay that are designed to engage players after they’ve completed the main portion of The Division. We have to wait a little longer for specifics on that content, but we do know the names of the expansions, their release order, and a few of the broader details.

The first expansion, called “Underground”, lets a squad of four players explore new territory in a post-epidemic New York City underworld. In the second expansion, called “Survival”, players will have to try to survive in a hostile environment that will challenge even the most hardcore Division players. The third and final expansion is (perhaps fittingly) titled “Last Stand”.

If you hit the streets of The Division’s New York on launch day with the Season Pass, you’ll get some goodies too, including an exclusive sawed-off shotgun as well as new outfits and weapon skins. Season Pass owners also get monthly perks in the form of exclusive content drops and events.

In addition to the Season Pass content, The Division will receive free updates – available to all players – throughout the year. These updates will be built around new game modes, featuring cooperative challenges that reward your squad’s ability to successfully work together.

The Division Season Pass is currently available as a part of the Gold Edition and Collector’s Edition of the game. Those of you who pre-ordered the game will be able to participate in a closed beta that starts on January 28 for Xbox One and January 29 for the PS4 and PC.

Link

I am really getting tired of these games being released with fewer content so they can bend you over with expensive season passes now. It's getting out of control with the DLC. I know why they do it but I don't like it. I can understand if the season pass was $20 or maybe $30 but $50 is too much. The gold edition of this game is $130 over here and some season passes were being sold for $70 (Star Wars). At least star wars had tons of different modes with the basic game even if they didn't have many maps.

My son liked this beta but isn't in love with it. Knowing you would have to buy all that to keep this game interesting means I'm cancelling my preorder. I will give this game a shot myself this weekend at some point but I don't think consumers are getting enough with the base game from what I'm reading.

Yeah, I agree Rudy. I'm just not going to keep investing in shooters. Every few years is ok but to think I'm going to buy 2 or 3 or more per year - no.

I have Star Wars Battlefront with the Season Pass and that will be my only shooter for a long, long time. I'll get my money's worth from it before dropping 2 games worth of money on another one.

It sure seems like the market is saturated with shooters right now. That's a hard sell if you aren't a top dog.

Can you only run around in this game? Are there any vehicles to use to move around in? Just watching my son play and there are two things he would like to see: cars to move around faster and melee hand to hand combat when you are up close.

I'm doubting there are any cars, since it's set in a world where the city was attacked with a biological weapon (or whatever the official storyline is), so the streets are pretty much deserted and left cluttered with abandoned/crashed vehicles and trash.

As for melee, there is an option to melee. I've had to melee a couple enemies because the AI in this game are smart fuckers who use a lot of cover, and if you're outnumbered, they'll try to advance on you, outflank you and corner you, so a couple we had managed to close the distance while I was pinned down behind cover, I had to go melee on them.

I love cover based shooters and this is no exception. Been awhile since I played a third person shooter but it came back to me an hour in. The gameplay itself felt like Uncharted, which is a good thing and also prepares me for Uncharted 4. Plenty of cover, grenade incoming, dodge roll into next cover as you try to kill bullet-sponges. The AI was really aggressive and did not stay in once place very long. They flanked well and had some melee only guys that seemed to disregard any desire to make it to tomorrow.

Spoiler: show
    The boss on the other hand never moved an inch, we just took turns waiting for each others clips to empty. He had a powerful weapon and my health was rock bottom, so it took a while to finish that one.

The icing on the cake are all the RPG elements, many that we never got to play with. That will be what extends the game for the single player guys like me over a game like Uncharted where you mainly go back to pick up treasure items missed or a reply on a higher difficulty because it is a more linear story focused experience. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Only got to play in the Dark Zone for a couple minutes before the servers reset. Killed a couple AI guys and that was it, did not run into a human.

The game is also absolutely gorgeous, especially when outdoors. From the day night cycle to when you get that first snowfall.

Some issues:

No crouch button? Seems like a really odd decision for a tactical shooter.
    Why is it every AI Enemy becomes the second coming of Dan Marino when tossing a grenade? Would it kill you to have a grenade get over/under thrown or hit something? it's a far to common problem in the cover based games. Yes you want us to move around and if the enemy AI does it's job properly you do not have to use this crutch.

That was my impressions of the Beta. I have deleted it since I feel quite comfortable in my pre-order. Would rather just wait and play the final product to do all the extra missions I left untouched.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 01-30-2016 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    As for melee, there is an option to melee. I've had to melee a couple enemies because the AI in this game are smart fuckers who use a lot of cover, and if you're outnumbered, they'll try to advance on you, outflank you and corner you, so a couple we had managed to close the distance while I was pinned down behind cover, I had to go melee on them.
    What button do you have to hit to melee?

I'm going to have to give this beta an honest attempt this weekend myself. I do like Brent's comparison to Uncharted since I love that series. Hopefully today I will find time to play although we are taking the kids to see Kung Fu Panda 3.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    While we had no problem going through the mission at Madison Square Garden with just the two of us, I wonder if it has a fluctuating difficulty. If you go into the mission solo, you may not face as many enemies where as if you go in with 2 people, you'll face a good amount more, and if you go in with 4 people, you'll face a ton of enemies. I'm assuming it's set up that way, otherwise some missions you'd have no choice but to team up with a bunch of people.
    I did it solo and faced more than enough enemies and reinforcements but general rule is more players=more enemies. The enemies all seemed to stay the same level and the only fluctuation was some of the AI guys (anyone with a name) are more skilled.

Before you do that particular mission there is a Destiny like option that allows you to play it on normal or hard. Hard giving you a little better reward at the end.

Pretty sure melee was R-Analog press down. It's a simple bash with whatever gun you are carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    I love cover based shooters and this is no exception. Been awhile since I played a third person shooter but it came back to me an hour in. The gameplay itself felt like Uncharted, which is a good thing and also prepares me for Uncharted 4. Plenty of cover, grenade incoming, dodge roll into next cover as you try to kill bullet-sponges. The AI was really aggressive and did not stay in once place very long. They flanked well and had some melee only guys that seemed to disregard any desire to make it to tomorrow.

Spoiler: show
    The boss on the other hand never moved an inch, we just took turns waiting for each others clips to empty. He had a powerful weapon and my health was rock bottom, so it took a while to finish that one.

The icing on the cake are all the RPG elements, many that we never got to play with. That will be what extends the game for the single player guys like me over a game like Uncharted where you mainly go back to pick up treasure items missed or a reply on a higher difficulty because it is a more linear story focused experience. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Only got to play in the Dark Zone for a couple minutes before the servers reset. Killed a couple AI guys and that was it, did not run into a human.

The game is also absolutely gorgeous, especially when outdoors. From the day night cycle to when you get that first snowfall.

Some issues:

No crouch button? Seems like a really odd decision for a tactical shooter.
    Why is it every AI Enemy becomes the second coming of Dan Marino when tossing a grenade? Would it kill you to have a grenade get over/under thrown or hit something? it's a far to common problem in the cover based games. Yes you want us to move around and if the enemy AI does it's job properly you do not have to use this crutch.

That was my impressions of the Beta. I have deleted it since I feel quite comfortable in my pre-order. Would rather just wait and play the final product to do all the extra missions I left untouched.
    Very nice rundown there! Summed up a lot of it well. The AI definitely is aggressive and they don't just sit around. I ran into groups where they kept moving and trying to close the distance on me, as well as flank me from both the left and right.

The RPG elements will definitely be what turns this from just a random explore and shoot game and extend it like you mentioned. We basically got nothing more than a sip from a whole gallon of goodness. The RPG elements are what I most can't wait for since we only just barely got a taste of them. Not only that, but you have weapon modding, you have various clothes, gear and weapons upgrades to improve your character. And yet it's not all positives. I found some great gear that had armor upgrades from like 2 armor to 15 armor. And yet, to equip that better item, some of them would damn near cut my health stat in half. Various gear improve or worsen various stats, so it's not just a matter of finding better gear and instantly equipping it like some games, where the gear only gets better as you go.

Then there's the crafting portion of the game, which we don't even get to mess with at all in the beta. Crafting is one thing that really intrigued me and myersc24 as we found a couple sites on the map where we were able to get a bunch of random parts to use for crafting. So you have crafting, weapon modding, gear that affects both positively and negatively your stats, perks and other abilities that you unlock by improving and building up the Base of Operations, which ties in all the RPG elements together.

And agreed, the city is beautiful. Myself and myersc24 took on Madison Square Garden at night, but the day/night cycle is nice. Haven't seen the first snowfall yet, hopefully today I'll catch it.

I didn't find a crouch button either, as far as I could tell. If there is none, agreed that is a big oversight. I also noticed that with the grenades. There were quite a few grenades that had no problem at all finding their way to my feet.

Since I only got to play for 2-3 hours last night, I'm planning on spending the entire weekend digging into the beta around work, so I haven't uninstalled it yet. But it has definitely solidified my intentions to pre-order and buy this day one. I have yet to even enter the Dark Zone yet, myself and myersc24 only just finished the storyline mission of the beta when we both had to call it a night due to having other stuff to do. However, some impressions I've read, it may end up like GTA Online. Prepare to die and prepare for the Wild West.

If you enter solo, random human players won't hesitate to open fire on you, and groups will flank you from all directions and just decimate you. Even if you go in with a full group of your own, even when holding back firing, the other people some guys came across would just open fire on them first, even if outnumbered. So like in GTA where you basically are 95% likely to be run over, shot or blown up for absolutely no reason by a random douchebag within a matter of minutes of entering a public lobby, expect to run into douchebags who will open fire on you for no reason than to kill you for their entertainment, and maybe try and steal whatever loot you have on your body.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    I did it solo and faced more than enough enemies and reinforcements but general rule is more players=more enemies. The enemies all seemed to stay the same level and the only fluctuation was some of the AI guys (anyone with a name) are more skilled.

Before you do that particular mission there is a Destiny like option that allows you to play it on normal or hard. Hard giving you a little better reward at the end.
    Yeah, there were a bunch of enemies when myself and myersc24 did the mission. I imagine it'd have to definitely be a "sliding scale" difficulty in regards to number of enemies, otherwise a 4 person team would just mow through some missions if the number or level of enemies didn't change at all.

I don't think we even noticed anything like the Destiny like option of doing it on normal or hard. We just sort of ran into the Garden and essentially started the mission without any prompts.