Thread: Slider design?

• Facebook
  • Display
    Recruit

Slider design?

Please can someone explain to me how sliders are designed, there are so many post i have read that say some of them are reverse where the higher the number the less effective that one is , some say that user and cpu side must equal 100, some say that QB accuracy is broken, some say RB ability controls every OFF and DEF players ability not just RB, etc......PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME UNDERSTAND!

On the fundamental, high level:
    Sliders are a modification to the pre-set values that control the success or failure of certain events within the game. Most of the events that happen within the game are controlled by random numbers that decide whether or not that event has a certain outcome. The sliders modify what values are considered successful.

For example, say a Wide Receiver is going up for a catch. His Spectacular Catch rating is 88. From what EA employees have said in the past, the barrier for seeing one of the special, rare "spectacular catch" animations is a 90 in Spectacular Catch. So in this case, that player won't get the special animation. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the inner workings of the game to say whether or not that will prevent him from making any catch, or if he just doesn't make the spectacular one.

Now, if you modify the WR Catching slider to make WR Catching easier, one of the side effects is that it changes where certain animations are triggered. So, with the proper change, that special animation is now triggered at 88 instead of 90.

But here's the reality:
    We don't know. Sliders are a black box. Nobody that doesn't have access to the code can tell you, for sure, how sliders work. And probably most of the guys that have access to the code can't tell you either. We can make guesses based on our experience, but there won't be certainty.

For example, some people swear that certain sliders are reversed. That's entirely possible, because all that would take is a typo in the code. But no one can prove it. There's too many other variables at play when you simulate a game.

Some people swear that sliders affect Dynasty, Play Now, and Practice Modes differently. I'll at least agree with Practice being different, because I've seen throws missed regularly in Practice, and I mean missed, that I've never missed in either other mode. But, again, maybe there's something else at play here.

Going back to my earlier example about WR Catching, no one is going to be 100% able to tell you at what value Spectacular Catch becomes 88 instead of 90. I can tell you it happens, because I've seen it happen. But I don't know what did that. Because you have difficulty levels and sliders and other factors (hot streaks) at play. All three of which, in addition to potentially other factors, that influence every random number that comes up. Good luck figuring out which one does what.

A few things I can be reasonable confident in saying:
    Sliders go from left to right, and the lower it, the more you are decreasing that attribute. QB Accuracy is going to, generally, be worse as the slider goes to the left.
    The user and CPU do not need to equal 100. If that was a requirement of the system, the system would force it.
    QB Accuracy has some quirks that no one has been able to figure out, but I would not say it's broken.
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 05-12-2013 at 02:51 PM.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Recruit
    Thank you JeffHcross for at least answering my question. Your statements make lot of sense. Its a shame that even when I call EA help line and talk to a techican they can't even explain how they are set up, they just say I have to talk to game designer......Really! If I had that kind of access I would never have call them. And after month of this question being on the EA forum I still have not got a response. So in your option If I move the sliders more to the right I will be decreases the attribute?