Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Football 14 Pre-Release Q&A: Presentation

• Facebook
  • Display

NCAA Football 14 Pre-Release Q&A: Presentation

With presentation details now disclosed, use this thread to ask any Presentation related questions of community event attendees.

Keep in mind that the last time we played the game was early March and numerous elements were not fully implemented at that time.

We will answer questions to the best of our abilities.

How much material did they add for the half-time show? My biggest worry/fear is that it is going to get old/stale quickly.

Are the in-game instudio updates still in this year? Did they add any commentary to it from last year?

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    How much material did they add for the half-time show? My biggest worry/fear is that it is going to get old/stale quickly.

Are the in-game instudio updates still in this year? Did they add any commentary to it from last year?
    The half-time show was not in the March build.

As of March, Studio Updates still in. Work has been done to make sure they do not interrupt drives. New commentary was not in the March build.

Any games shown in Studio Updates will be in the end-of-game dynamic load screen so you can see the final score.

How much are we able to do in the creation of neutral-site games? Can we make any non-conference opponent a neutral-site game? Is it just limited to the kickoff classics, CCGs and bowl games?

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    How much are we able to do in the creation of neutral-site games? Can we make any non-conference opponent a neutral-site game? Is it just limited to the kickoff classics, CCGs and bowl games?
    This wasn't 100% as of March, but here is what I believe that plan to be: You can schedule any game at any FBS stadium - provided there isn't already a game at that stadium that week.

I guess I should've put this over here:

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Another detail that makes a big impact is the inclusion of pre-play player chatter. Now, in addition to hearing the QB bark out audibles, you can listen in as defenders call out their adjustments. You might catch the center calling out the number of down linemen or the QB calling out the Mike Linebacker. Linemen can make calls to alert potential blitzers, and the defense will counter by calling out strength of formation. You may even hear the location of the tight end or which players the defense will be keying on. You’ll also hear players celebrating between whistles as they make game-changing plays like TDs and INTs.
    My question here is does any of this matter? If I call 34 Under and the defense calls out the offensive strength do they now align correctly? Can I now set a strongside and weakside linebacker? Or is all this just chatter to increase "presentation"?

Quote Originally Posted by Oneback View Post
    I guess I should've put this over here:

My question here is does any of this matter? If I call 34 Under and the defense calls out the offensive strength do they now align correctly? Can I now set a strongside and weakside linebacker? Or is all this just chatter to increase "presentation"?
    I wasn't aware that was even in until this morning (a lot of presentation stuff still wasn't in in March) but my speculation is that it's purely presentation...

This wasn't 100% as of March, but here is what I believe that plan to be: You can schedule any game at any FBS stadium - provided there isn't already a game at that stadium that week.
    Excellent! As long as it's set so we can schedule non-conference games as a neutral-site game at any (open) stadium, then that works for me. It'll give me a chance to every once and a while get out of the same old, same old home/away cycle of scheduling. Especially if I have a rivalry "grow" during my dynasty and I personally consider a team to be a rivalry after a couple years, even if the game doesn't.

Now that moves Dynamic Rivalries up my list, so that the game actually will consider those games to be rivalries in the game. Or make it so we can create our own rivalries.

Is the chatter purely pre-snap or could we finally hear assignment changes being called out during the play? Like when LB's change up their coverage responsibilities when in man coverage?

Quote Originally Posted by ryby6969 View Post
    Is the chatter purely pre-snap or could we finally hear assignment changes being called out during the play? Like when LB's change up their coverage responsibilities when in man coverage?
    I am unsure of that.

As you guys can probably tell from the answers, a lot of presentation changes were not in the build we played.

In a quick e-mail from EA, we know that the vast majority of presentation features and improvements were added in the last four weeks.

Though, keep the questions coming. If we do not know the answer, we'll try to find it if future media/blogs from the devs do not give you your answer.

Hey guys,

New to your site, and am a regular OS poster. I want to copy and paste a post of mine from OS and put it here because I would like to get your thoughts. It really surprises me that EA does not put more attention on crowd atmospher and crowd AI. IMO, the crowd energy and interaction is 70% of what makes watching football games so fun. I would like to understand your thoughts on crowd audio, and maybe this is something you guys could push next time you go down, for future iterations. Thanks!

I wish EA would stop being so obsessive with crowd chants, when the actual crwod audio itself has been horrible for years. For me, the biggest part of presentation that makes a sports game exciting is to have a crowd that sounds like a real stadium crowd.

Not only does the crowd need to ebb and flow, and sound like a real crowd. They also need to fix the crowd AI and have the crowd react APPROPRIATELY TO SITUATIONS ON THE FIELD.

-On 3rd down the crowd should be going ballistic.
    -On a deep pass there should be a gasp and sense of excitement while the ball is in the air, followed by an appropriate crowd reaction depending on who comes down with the ball.
    -During a big running play the crowd should build with excitement as the play develops
    -During a Touchdown or turnover the crowd should be erupting with cheers, or hear a heavy sigh and level of quiet if its the opposing team.
    -Before big drives like a 2 minute drive or end of game scenario, the crowd should be laser focused and into it.
    -Between plays the crowd should be much more docile and calm, and not the constant drone we always hear all game long.
    -If a big hit occurs there should be a loud gasp from the crowd, followed by cheers if its the home team

I really wish EA would understand the importance of this. Having realistic crowd AI, and a great sounding crowd with all the high and lows, ebbs and flows, and energy of a real crowd would do wonders for their product.

EDIT: Also, please make the "Pump Up The Crowd" feature work. It should be situationally dependant depending on the down or situation. But when I pump up the crowd I want it to feel like the crowd is reacting. Go to a Ravens game and watch a 3rd down play where the defense is pumping up the crowd.

Hey ch - good stuff and agree completely. From what I understand, crowd noise will be getting some improvements in 14. It sounded like the audio team made some strides between NCAA 13 & Madden 13 in crowd noise (Madden crowd was better IMO) plus the standard improvements with another year to build on. I don't think the final crowd audio was in for the March event. (The main focus of that event was Dynasty/Gameplay, but we definitely talked to Christian & the presentation team about their plans and what was going in.)

Pumping Up the Crowd is a weird one. For some reason it seemed like it didn't work in 13. I'll see if we can find out if it will be improved in 14.

We have been given the green light to discuss/announce Alternate Camera Angles. There are four camera angles to select: Regular, Zoom (closer behind ball-carrier), Wide, Broadcast (overhead/blimp but will dynamically zoom in on action based on result & is basically a hybrid between Blimp and Sky cam).
    Last edited by cdj; 04-18-2013 at 12:59 PM.

I do want to say, the Presentation in game definitely received significant additions. Last May, a member on OS (DorianDonP) put together an excellent resource showcasing real-life presentation. I don't know specifics as to how it looks/works in NCAA14 but I know that in playing in March, a lot of what he shows in his real-life examples were starting to show up in the game. It was still very much a work in progress (very little was in the build we played) but you could get the feel that this is what they were targeting.

Hopefully we see more about that in the coming weeks.

So now we have outfitter specific footballs. It'd be nice if they could put the schools logo on their respective balls though.

I have seen people in the OS forums asking about a few things so I figured I'd ask them here. Are there dreads in the game? There aren't any visible in any screenshots. Has the weather improved to make rainy games look more realistic? Are there any new facemasks or cleats in the game? Are the pre-game intros the same every time or is the montage more like NBA 2k in that way too, dynamic?

So all new FBS schools have their stadiums included?

We have been given the green light to discuss/announce Alternate Camera Angles. There are four camera angles to select: Regular, Zoom (closer behind ball-carrier), Wide, Broadcast (overhead/blimp but will dynamically zoom in on action based on result & is basically a hybrid between Blimp and Sky cam).

Question on the cameras. Will you still be able to use the player lock on defense with these camera angles. I like Zoom (Madden) on offense but on defense it really is distracting since you can barely see your player and they really should have the option to at least flip the camera around.

With the new weather changes will we finally see different weather events during the game (sunny to rain to no rain, etc).
    Snow, will it accumulate over time?
    Chain Crew? Had to ask.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 04-18-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Just asked this in presentation but moving it here
    We have been given the green light to discuss Alternate Camera Angles.

There are four camera angles to select: Regular, Zoom (closer behind ball-carrier), Wide, Broadcast (overhead/blimp but will dynamically zoom in on action based on result).
    1: Camera Angle Questions: HA! Camera angles should've blown this thread up but as I suspected you get them the info on it and nobody cares. Here's a question I have on them, can you and another user play different angles in user/user OD game based on your preference? Or do both players have to play on the generic angle.

2: New Footballs question: The multiple football's are a pretty sweet touch, one I had never really thought of. Might go under the category of things you may never see, but does each team also have their logo on the football like IRL. It's similar to the gloves imo, to where unless you're looking you probably won't notice, but would be a nice touch. Also, do the football's change per possession for the team involved, or does every team use the "home team's" football?

3: Neutral Site question: I'm a little surprised Qwest field didn't get added, since WSU plays a "home game" there every season. Guess I'll just have to play it at Husky Stadium, but the question is can you do a "home" neutral game? Where a team logo and both endzones are dedicated to one team? Or are all neutral site games half and half with no logo regardless?

4: ESPN Living Game Clock question: Will this run between plays in a no-huddle as well? Hopefully?

5: Uniform updates questions: (1) Will there actually be FREE uni-updates to match REGULAR uniforms this season AND will there be MORE smaller ones with a couple jerseys just to get as many in as possible? It was just about pointless in 13 as they said they were going to regularly update them and we got three updates way spread out. They really all should be free but I know the special 'one time' unis won't be. (2) Also, when will we know who received an update going into release? (3) Did WSU get an update to their uniforms? The EA team got them in record time a couple years ago but they were never totally correct, he changes that need to be made have been documented in the uniforms thread. (4) In OD are we finally able to change the away team's CPU uniform?

6: Crowd question: I feel like the crowd looks different, like the models were sized up or the stadiums were touched up or something. I've been thinking this for several screen shots but wanted to see more. Is there anything to that? Were they able to render up the crowd and stadium aspects of the game by taking it out of the front end menus.

7: South Alabama question: Why are there several yellow clad fans in the USA screen shot?

8: Pregame questions: Speaking of rendering, I love the new menus. Retro and speedy is good to me and much preferred. The old menus were cool but it took 10 minutes to get to a game and that's just ridiculous. Since they are doing the new montages for pregame, were they finally able to add them for OD user games?

9: Martin Stadium? I'm now sad because I think the answer is "NO", but did the Wazzu renovation to the press box get added? If not I fear it will be another 2 years (NCAA 16) before we at WSU see our update. With the OPS building now going up in the endzone and not scheduled to be completed till next summer, I don't see them visiting WSU for anything until that's completed and games are played in 2015. Meanwhile, Husky Stadium will likely be updated for NCAA 15, even though they started their renovations after us, because they did there's in one phase, not 2. IMO we should've gotten a renovation update for 14 and then again in '16. The change is HUGELY dramatic for Wazzu and would make a big difference. Here's the comparison photo (the red is the old PB and is no longer there, just cropped in for effect).

10: Preplay chatter/timing/celebrations: A cool addition is the preplay chatter for me, even though it's pretty minor. In order to get the full effect, teams have to take their time at the LOS. Does the cpu still snap too quickly or do they wait and 'check over the defense' for this small addition to get it's full effect? Are the celebrations more dynamic and are there NEW celebrations included (is that the "500 new vignettes")? My thought is that, that is what they were going for when Ben talks about trying to speed up that part of the game but still make it look fresh.

Will ask more if I think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post

Question on the cameras. Will you still be able to use the player lock on defense with these camera angles. I like Zoom (Madden) on offense but on defense it really is distracting since you can barely see your player and they really should have the option to at least flip the camera around.

With the new weather changes will we finally see different weather events during the game (sunny to rain to no rain, etc).
    Chain Crew? Had to ask.
    Yup forgot to ask about weather. Good question

Quote Originally Posted by jpdavis1982 View Post
    I have seen people in the OS forums asking about a few things so I figured I'd ask them here. Are there dreads in the game? There aren't any visible in any screenshots. Has the weather improved to make rainy games look more realistic? Are there any new facemasks or cleats in the game? Are the pre-game intros the same every time or is the montage more like NBA 2k in that way too, dynamic?
    Dreads from last year should be in. Unsure of new ones.

Unsure of any weather changes.

Unsure on facemask changes. Pretty sure cleats are the same, but those are not my specialty. (I can notice stadium & uni changes; not good with shoes.)

Pre-game intro should be different each time (or at least a variety). The components may be the same - intro from Rece, action/entrance clips, text wipes, music video - but I would assume getting different songs plus what clips are played would keep it from being 100% exact every time. We saw a mock-up in January, but the full version was not in the March build.

Quote Originally Posted by OSUCowboyofMD View Post
    So all new FBS schools have their stadiums included?
    I think UMass (Gillette Stadium) is the only generic.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post

Chain Crew? Had to ask.
    - I believe so. Not sure why you wouldn't be able to use player lock.

- I don't believe Dynamic Weather is in. (That's one of my personal top presentation requests, BTW.) I think snow lands the same.

- Didn't see a chain crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayrah View Post
    Just asked this in presentation but moving it here
    1: Camera Angle Questions: HA! Camera angles should've blown this thread up but as I suspected you get them the info on it and nobody cares. Here's a question I have on them, can you and another user play different angles in user/user OD game based on your preference? Or do both players have to play on the generic angle.

2: New Footballs question: The multiple football's are a pretty sweet touch, one I had never really thought of. Might go under the category of things you may never see, but does each team also have their logo on the football like IRL. It's similar to the gloves imo, to where unless you're looking you probably won't notice, but would be a nice touch. Also, do the football's change per possession for the team involved, or does every team use the "home team's" football?

3: Neutral Site question: I'm a little surprised Qwest field didn't get added, since WSU plays a "home game" there every season. Guess I'll just have to play it at Husky Stadium, but the question is can you do a "home" neutral game? Where a team logo and both endzones are dedicated to one team? Or are all neutral site games half and half with no logo regardless?

4: ESPN Living Game Clock question: Will this run between plays in a no-huddle as well? Hopefully?

5: Uniform updates questions: (1) Will there actually be FREE uni-updates to match REGULAR uniforms this season AND will there be MORE smaller ones with a couple jerseys just to get as many in as possible? It was just about pointless in 13 as they said they were going to regularly update them and we got three updates way spread out. They really all should be free but I know the special 'one time' unis won't be. (2) Also, when will we know who received an update going into release? (3) Did WSU get an update to their uniforms? The EA team got them in record time a couple years ago but they were never totally correct, he changes that need to be made have been documented in the uniforms thread. (4) In OD are we finally able to change the away team's CPU uniform?

6: Crowd question: I feel like the crowd looks different, like the models were sized up or the stadiums were touched up or something. I've been thinking this for several screen shots but wanted to see more. Is there anything to that? Were they able to render up the crowd and stadium aspects of the game by taking it out of the front end menus.

7: South Alabama question: Why are there several yellow clad fans in the USA screen shot?

8: Pregame questions: Speaking of rendering, I love the new menus. Retro and speedy is good to me and much preferred. The old menus were cool but it took 10 minutes to get to a game and that's just ridiculous. Since they are doing the new montages for pregame, were they finally able to add them for OD user games?

9: Martin Stadium? I'm now sad because I think the answer is "NO", but did the Wazzu renovation to the press box get added? If not I fear it will be another 2 years (NCAA 16) before we at WSU see our update. With the OPS building now going up in the endzone and not scheduled to be completed till next summer, I don't see them visiting WSU for anything until that's completed and games are played in 2015. Meanwhile, Husky Stadium will likely be updated for NCAA 15, even though they started their renovations after us, because they did there's in one phase, not 2. IMO we should've gotten a renovation update for 14 and then again in '16. The change is HUGELY dramatic for Wazzu and would make a big difference. Here's the comparison photo (the red is the old PB and is no longer there, just cropped in for effect).

10: Preplay chatter/timing/celebrations: A cool addition is the preplay chatter for me, even though it's pretty minor. In order to get the full effect, teams have to take their time at the LOS. Does the cpu still snap too quickly or do they wait and 'check over the defense' for this small addition to get it's full effect? Are the celebrations more dynamic and are there NEW celebrations included (is that the "500 new vignettes")? My thought is that, that is what they were going for when Ben talks about trying to speed up that part of the game but still make it look fresh.

Will ask more if I think of it.
    1. Good question. Let me look into it.

2. Pretty sure no logo. I believe the image posted today of the footballs are exactly what you will see in-game & replays.

3. If I understand your question correctly, you can not assign your home stadium to be a neutral game. If you pick it as the location, it will just be a normal home game. As of March, their were working to get the field art to have the swappable bowl art for each team in-game.

4. I believe so. The living clock was in the game, but limited in data it was pulling in.

5. No clue. I think we will have to go off of screenshots to know; perhaps we can ask for a listing closer to release. No clue. No; that item is on the team's radar, however.

6. I don't think anything was done to the crowd audience models.

7. I assume there was an issue with crowd colors in that build, hence very few crowd members being shown. They could be part of the small % of fans in each stadium who wear neutral (non-team) colors. Could be from an early build as you can see an error with Georgia State's unis - shoulder numbers overlap shoulder stripes.

8. I don't believe they added them for user v user games. I can see why people would want it, but I also think EA & many users want to get in & out of online games ASAP to minimize the chance of a disconnection.

9. No clue. Hopefully we can get a list (or plethora of images) of stadium changes in the month leading up to the next Playbook release.

10. Unsure on CPU snapping. I think the new vignettes will be used all throughout the game: pre-game video montage, in-game celebration vignettes, post-game reactions, etc. I think you are right - this is part of the goal to keep the game fresh. At the March event, Christian mentioned that they aimed to reduce over-played vignettes from 13.
    Last edited by cdj; 04-18-2013 at 07:12 PM.