Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Defiance (PS3, 360, PC)

• Facebook
  • Display

This would be badass if my character got on the TV show....

Not sure how I missed this one but I'm intrigued ESPECIALLY b/c it's 3rd person. Thinking of getting back my GameFly subscription now that I'm employed again. Might give it a whirl.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Not sure how I missed this one but I'm intrigued ESPECIALLY b/c it's 3rd person. Thinking of getting back my GameFly subscription now that I'm employed again. Might give it a whirl.
    I got it on release day. Love it!

The show has been renewed for a second season and DLC is on the way for the game.

Now that the MMO-slash-TV show Defiance has been launched, says executive producer Nathan Richardsson, things are about to really get good, in the form of five DLC releases later this year. He admits that fan response to the game has it pegged as "about as deep as a bag of chips but great fun," but adds that he'd "like to get to the two-bag of chip depth category or at least, add some salsas for various textures."

Most of those spices will come in the form of DLC, and Richardsson has outlined what the game's first addon, tentatively titled "Enter the Castithan," will look like. There will be three elements to it: Those who buy the downloadable content for $10 will get access to the Castithan playable race, along with a new outfit and vehicle, and a new story mission line and game mode. There will also be free content, including new weapons, a new PvP map called Military Academy, and some other game improvements. And then there will be new items in the store, including weapon mods, more vehicle versions, and the ability to change your character's customizations.

Richardsson says all future add-ons will have these paid, free, and store components, and the team's goal is to keep the updates and content flowing and focused on what players want. The first DLC release is expected to hit the game after a patch later on this month.

Courtesy: Joystiq

Here's a full rundown of the first of five DLC packs:

There will be five Defiance DLC packs this year. According to Richardsson, every DLC pack will comprise a free component, a paid component and a store update. The first pack is titled Enter the Castithan "till marketing comes up with a better name", and introduces a new species. Here's a rundown:

Paid content ($10):

- Access to play the Castithan Species

- Access to a new Story Mission Line with new Battle Arena Game Mode

- Access to the new Castithan Battle Arenas

- Castithan Charge Blade & Ceremonial Mask as a reward from Story Mission Line

- A unique version of the Raptor, a new 4 player truck of doom

- A unique Castithan version of an outfit

- A Charge Weapons Starter Pack

- Access to New Pursuits

- New Xbox and PS3 Trophies and Achievements

Free content:

- Access to the new Charge Weapons Class and Castithan Blades

- Access to Sieges, a new Open World Game Mode

- Access to the new Monolith Major Arkfall

- Access to a new PvP Map - Military Academy

- Join a friend into the Battle Arenas Game Mode

- Duel your friends and neighbors in the Duels Game Mode

- Enemies, lockboxes, and events can drop Charge Weapons

- Select a new voice for you character

- Multitude of game improvements from UI to content

Items available to buy from store:

- New Mods that tint the color of your Castithan Blade

- Lockboxes have a chance to get Charge Weapons

- More versions of the Raptor, the new 4 player truck of doomed compensation

- Character Customization changes: Appearance change, name change, or everything change

Finally got around to buying this game.

I got bit by the baseball bug back on Wednesday, so went and rented MLB 2K13 from Redbox to see if it was even at least playable (I wasn't too worried about the "virtually no changes from 2K12 to 2K13" because I haven't bought an MLB game since 2K10. Played it for two days, it was fun, no noticeable serious errors, bugs or glitches. Spent 99% of my time playing the My Player thing (whatever they call it in MLB) as a contact-hitting first baseman (my position back in the day).

Thought about buying it, it was $40 on Xbox Live. Walmart had it for $30. So I was gonna run by Walmart on my way home from work and get it. Not so fast. Dropped the radio van back off at the station after work and jumped on a computer real quick. A thought hit me on the drive home, I wonder what the cost of Defiance is these days. Sure enough, every search I did (Walmart, Amazon, Gamestop), all came back at $19.99. So screw it, I'll take Defiance for $19.99 over MLB 2K13 for $29.99.

Naturally, Walmart didn't have it in stock. Neither did Meijer (what limited game collection they have). However, I did have someplace else to turn to. Seems in the last couple weeks, a brand spanking new Gamestop moved into a strip mall on the north side of town, just had their grand opening this past week, so I no longer have to make 15-20 minute (one way) trips down US 24 to the next town over to visit Gamestop. So stopped in there and walked out 5 minutes later with Defiance.

Just got done installing the disc, about to fire it up for the first time.

Well, I've already hit the point of non-advancement. For the last two hours, I've been doing nothing but running back and forth between the Earth Republic Camp and the New Freedom Crash Site, killing mutant riflemen and collecting weapons, then going back to the Camp and selling them. Keep killing until my inventory gets full, go sell off the "lesser" weapons (keep the really good ones for myself) and wash, rinse and repeat.

Yeah its easy to not do anything but get weapons to sell to get more money, but honestly you might want to stop selling and simply break them down, you will need to parts more than you will need the money, as the parts ( I can't think of what the game actually calls the parts) will let you upgrade guns , and will help with the ability to add mods to guns.

The only thing I don't think about the guns is they don't vary that much all AR do the same damage its just a matter of what elements they have, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by oweb26 View Post
    Yeah its easy to not do anything but get weapons to sell to get more money, but honestly you might want to stop selling and simply break them down, you will need to parts more than you will need the money, as the parts ( I can't think of what the game actually calls the parts) will let you upgrade guns , and will help with the ability to add mods to guns.

The only thing I don't think about the guns is they don't vary that much all AR do the same damage its just a matter of what elements they have, etc.
    Yeah, I've been doing that more lately. I've actually broken out of my shell. After doing the two side missions and the first main mission at the camp, I now have an A-Tex Growler Pro Green/Black, so it didn't take me long to ride that baby out into the wild.

Thus, for the last hour plus, I have been riding all over god's creation going after Arkfalls, going from one to the next, however long the ride may take. I actually ended up clear down at the Golden Gate Bridge before being forced to turn around. Slowly making my way back towards the ER Camp, but still focusing on Arkfalls.

Doesn't help that the enemies respawn 10 minutes later

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Doesn't help that the enemies respawn 10 minutes later

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Oh hell, before I got my ATV, I was sitting there at the New Freedom Crash Site, just waiting for a group of mutant riflemen to jump out of one of the vehicles there. Mow them down with my assault rifle, pick up the ammo, any weapons and other goodies, drop back and wait for the next group to jump out 30 seconds (or however long) later.

I still haven't done much with the missions. I did the first Earth Republic mission, going up and clearing the sniper ridge. I did the two side missions next to the camp. Then while out hunting Arkfalls, I ended up crossing paths with the two story missions along the road to and from the Earth Republic camp area, meeting up with Nolan and Irisa.

This is definitely one hell of a fun game. I'm gonna be sinking a lot of my free gaming hours into it.

At least as it got closer to, and after, midnight EST, I was able to be the first person to various Arkfalls. Instead of chasing them all over the place to hell and back, I've been limiting myself to just one quadrant of the map, only going after Arkfalls in that area, usually no more than 1.5-2 kilometers away. So between that, some of the Arkfalls being off the beaten paths and possibly fewer people on due to the time of night, I was the first one to a number of Arkfalls, as well, there were a couple where there ended up only being, max, four or five of us there during the entire thing. More killing for each of us and more stuff to earn with all the killing.

Some things I've noticed while playing, it definitely is still buggy. There have been a number of major Arkfalls (the four or five Arkfalls in close proximity), mostly Hellbug exterminations and having to deal with Hellbug Matriarchs and Hellions, that ended up becoming buggy and either the crystals disappearing prematurely or we wouldn't be able to kill the Hellion.

Last night, there was one we were dealing with a Hellion, holy shit. I ended up running out of ammo, it wouldn't let me pick up new ammo, wouldn't let me reload, wouldn't let me switch weapons, there were dozens of us just running around meleeing Hellbug Warriors that were stuck in place around the Hellion. Ended up glitched and bugged all to hell.

And the 360 can definitely end up pushed to it's limits during Arkfalls. Once or twice, in a densely populated area, there have been a couple Arkfalls where it seems like 100+ of us are there attacking it, and my god do the frames per second drop to shit. Sitting there trying to shoot, the screens lagging so badly, I had no clue if I was even hitting what I (thought) I was aiming it.

Still a damn fun game. It has been years since I last played an MMO and this certainly makes up for it.

I think Ill get back on this today I havent played in about a month.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Still a damn fun game. It has been years since I last played an MMO and this certainly makes up for it.
    Fully agree. Sounds like there is support for it too. I think the show being good helped it. The fact that there is a season two can only mean good things for the game. I just need to catch up on the series on the DVR now
    The dude abides.

Fully agree. Sounds like there is support for it too. I think the show being good helped it. The fact that there is a season two can only mean good things for the game. I just need to catch up on the series on the DVR now
    Yeah, that has no doubt helped. Still plenty to do and more coming. I've been lucky, going way out off the beaten path to complete main and side missions, I've been the first person to a number of Arkfalls. In fact just finished up a major Arkfall, that I came in first place by a WIDE margin. So being off the beaten path helps.

I'm also getting my feet more under me know in regards to the various aspects of gameplay. Before I was hoarding every weapon I could, now anything white and most green I'm instantly breaking down, keeping only the blues and purples that I have. Also starting to get the EGO grid more set up to my liking amongst the various perks. Still a 'young'n' in this game, with an EGO rating of only 427. But it's climbing more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Yeah, that has no doubt helped. Still plenty to do and more coming. I've been lucky, going way out off the beaten path to complete main and side missions, I've been the first person to a number of Arkfalls. In fact just finished up a major Arkfall, that I came in first place by a WIDE margin. So being off the beaten path helps.

I'm also getting my feet more under me know in regards to the various aspects of gameplay. Before I was hoarding every weapon I could, now anything white and most green I'm instantly breaking down, keeping only the blues and purples that I have. Also starting to get the EGO grid more set up to my liking amongst the various perks. Still a 'young'n' in this game, with an EGO rating of only 427. But it's climbing more and more.
    Your EGO is better than mine. I think mine is around 300, but I haven't played much lately. I can't wait for the DLC, but even before DLC, they've added different enemies and such. I dig the support they have given the game so far. Bugs can be expected, especially in an MMO.
    The dude abides.

Man I think you have already caught me in EGO rating......I think I will play this tonight....Smooth you on my friends list?

Your EGO is better than mine. I think mine is around 300, but I haven't played much lately. I can't wait for the DLC, but even before DLC, they've added different enemies and such. I dig the support they have given the game so far. Bugs can be expected, especially in an MMO.
    Yeah, there's a ton of stuff to do and enemies to kill. There are still a bunch of enemies I haven't even come across yet. Yeah, bugs will always be a given in an MMO. Some have been annoying. And then there's getting disconnected from the server in the middle of the final battle of a major Arkfall (against a Hellion).

I never had a single issue with disconnects from the server on Saturday. In the last 24 hours though, I've been disconnected at least a dozen times. But, I persist on and keep loading it back and playing.

Quote Originally Posted by oweb26 View Post
    Man I think you have already caught me in EGO rating......I think I will play this tonight....Smooth you on my friends list?
    Yeah, I'm still going up. I've been playing for the last couple hours, up to 466 EGO rating right now. I've been spreading myself out, focusing on main, side and episode missions, and then splitting off to Arkfalls when there's one nearby me. Or, if there's a major Arkfall not too far from a fast travel point, I'll fast travel to there and sprint up the road to the major Arkfall.

Ever since I got the missions in and around the New Freedom Crash Site and Earth Republic Camp finished up, I haven't been back there once since late Saturday night. I've just been finding safe havens around Iron Demon Ranch and Shondu's Consulate when I call it a night and shut everything down.

And that's a good question, I'm not sure. If not, I'll shoot you a friend request. I'm online right now, just finished up the Piper episode missions. Making my way around Marin and Madera.

Here's a full rundown of the first of five DLC packs:

There will be five Defiance DLC packs this year. According to Richardsson, every DLC pack will comprise a free component, a paid component and a store update. The first pack is titled Enter the Castithan "till marketing comes up with a better name", and introduces a new species. Here's a rundown:

Free content:

- Access to the new Monolith Major Arkfall
    Looking back at your post about the first DLC coming out, I'm really looking forward to the new Monolith Major Arkfall. I'm a Major Arkfall whore. It doesn't matter what I'm doing, even if I'm in the middle of a mission, I'm dropping everything and hauling ass to a Major Arkfall, either driving if it's nearby or fast traveling to the closest point and hauling ass across fields from there.

And through all of that, I welcome a new Major Arkfall. Hellbugs are getting a bit tiring, just because there are constantly Hellbug arkfalls. It has actually gotten to occasionally, if I'm clear on the other side of the map, I may not bother with a Hellbug Arkfall and just keep working on side missions. Scrapper Major Arkfalls, now those I instantly jump on the moment I see them. Thankfully I've noticed them happening with an increased frequency lately.

Meanwhile, I have been ripping through the storyline. I completed Act 4 and made it to San Francisco last night, now up to an EGO rating of something around 670-680. Haven't done much beyond that. Did a pair of minor scrapper Arkfalls down in San Francisco, did a Scrapper Major Arkfall up in Marin, and that was about it, ended up calling a night after having a hard console freeze in the middle of an Arkfall, opting to stick with TV the rest of the night. I will say, wow, what a difference between all the lands around Mount Tam, Marin, etc., and that of San Francisco. Talk about night and day.

I've also seen the dark side of the game now that I've been playing a full 5 days. My god it's a pain in the ass sometimes when you keep getting booted out because the connection to the server was lost. It especially pisses me off when it happens during a Major Arkfall. In the last two days alone, I've lost out on four Major Arkfalls (three Hellbugs, one Scrapper) during the final "boss" of the Arkfall, because of the game booting me out with a lost connection to the server error. Going through all the hassle of destroying crystals, dealing with never-ending waves of Hellbugs and Scrappers, only to get to the final confrontation of the Arkfall and have it all be for nothing.

I also got boned on a lockbox. Had something like 50 keycodes on Tuesday afternoon, so bought the remaining 14 with Ark resources and bought a tier 4 lockbox, only to not receive a single thing. I filed a support ticket, but I doubt anything will come of it. As of last night, it was still sitting there under Open status with nothing done with it from Trion's end.

However, even with the constant disconnects and multiple Major Arkfalls completely lost because of console freezes, server disconnects or whatever other reasons, I still love this game. It has its issues (what MMO doesn't), but for $19.99 currently, it's a steal. It is damn fun. Other than a couple hours playing Black Ops 2 with a friend on Monday and Tuesday nights, Defiance is the only game that I have given any playtime to since Saturday. Well worth the $20.

I might have been pissed if I had been one of those to spend $150 on the collectors editions or whatever they were called, as the game still has its fair share of bugs, glitches and issues, and it sounds like it a 100 times worse when the game first came out, but right now, with the number of patches since released to remedy a lot of issues, it's a good game that I'd recommend. I'm already trying to talk my friend into buying it, telling him in detail about it while playing Black Ops 2 on Monday and Tuesday nights. It also helps that he watched the first two or three episodes of the TV show before missing the rest of the season due to work and not having a DVR.