Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PS4, XB1, PC)

• Facebook
  • Display
    The people on the unofficial "official" Bioware boards keep giving this game bj's so I need to get this and see what the hype is about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Huh. Maybe I will give this another shot down the road. Are you accepting the combat more? I know neither of us cared for it that much before. I got annoyed with having to repair swords and armour. That was tough early on since money is tight.
    Money/Repair has not been an issue. I think the key for me was to do everything and see everything in White Orchard before moving forward. It kinda shocked me just how much treasure I missed the first two times. So far I am constantly finding new weapons and armor and just selling the stuff they replace. Also helps to find those weapon/armor repair kits for the longer missions.

Still have a few gripes. Leveling in the early sages takes forever. I was between 4-6 for almost 20 hours. Part of that is I am exploring more and do not complete missions as quickly as some. Also I am playing on foot, screw the horse. Not a fan of limiting XP to missions and contracts. You kill something, XP should be rewarded.

Combat... I just bit the bullet and started reading the beast book and learned what signs and oils to use. It was either that or play hack/slash on the easiest difficulty. The control is still clunky even with the alternate option they added but it works a little better. It is still pretty heavy on rolling around to dodge but I have started putting more thought into each battle and use more parrying and proper signs. My big complaint with Skyrim and Zelda: BOTW were the lack of enemy types and that is not an issue with this game and has added to my newfound appreciation. Plus I am starting to warm to the signs and the oils and seeing how they expand the combat experience. Still not a fan of the simplistic two sword setup and it does not help that early on the crossbow is pretty damn useless, outside of a tool to kill things underwater. I have more of an appreciation of what the devs were trying to do but I really miss using a bow and having a shield.

The quests and exploration are making it a much more enjoyable experience. Simply gave up way to early the first two times. Once you get out of White Orchard there are some really great quests to find right after. Currently doing the Bloody Barron quest which I never got to before and just finished Wandering in the Dark. That was a pretty cool experience due to how much you have to do just to complete it and how long it takes. I had no armor repair kits and my main piece was at 30% with only a couple scraps of food left. The amount of hidden treasure throughout the caves and then tossing you one more side mission and a puzzle before you head out were nice touches.

I think I finished the Bloody Baron or close to it. I did very little exploring in my only attempt. I seemed to die a lot if I went off the normal path. I'd like more options with the sword other than strike dodge, rinse and repeat until I can use magic again.

For anyone who has played the game (otherwise it will be a spoiler) in regards to the Devils Pit.

Spoiler: show
    How long did you search for a key to the locked door or went through every possible Sign/attack to get the door open leading to the obvious cave behind it? I spent at least 45 minutes trying to figure it out before hitting the internet. All to find out it was an unfinished area, with no key but there was a cave system, and much unfinished work thanks to PC modders getting in there. That is a pretty big ass omission that you would think somebody at CDPR would have figured out between release and the two dlc's. Put a wall there or something. Also there is another locked door at the top of the pit which made me think you had to find a way in there first. That is the kinda thing that grinds my gears.

Also all the locked friggin doors in this game. While searching I found out that if it just says "locked" you will never get in that place. It must say "key required" when trying to open it. Could have saved quite a bit of time had I known this.

Now that I think about it what is the deal with the Cave location icons not greying our after you have discovered all the loot. It is really annoying sine they do not have names and you just have to reply on memory.

Just a bunch of little complaints but odd things that really should have been fixed. To the games credit it has not crashed on me once. Bethesda games crash if you stare at it funny and that is before mods.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 05-21-2017 at 08:59 AM.

This game is 50% off on PS Store if you have PS+. For Canadians it's $33.50 and that is the Complete Edition with all DLC.

Complete Edition is $20 on PSN. Tempted to bite but my backlog is so...... huge right now its not even funny. What do you guys that have played the title think? I know it is supposed to be incredibly long and while that is seen as a huge positive to many gamers I'm not sure I can sink in 100+ hours into a game unless its on the level or better than something like Horizon.

If I recall:
    Rudy
    Jaymo76
    Internet

Yeah, I'm looking at grabbing this too. With the Critics' Choice Sale, planning to grab this for $20, Skyrim special edition for $30 and another game for $15.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    If I recall:
    Rudy
    Jaymo76
    Internet

That is correct lol