Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: Destiny (PS4, XB1; PS3, 360)

• Facebook
  • Display
    Wow.
    The dude abides.

Sounds about right. They aren't going to be making the money selling a new annual edition of a $60 game like every other game franchise these days. Gotta make that cash somehow, so offer an "expansion pack" and price at 2/3 full price and call it a day.

And the hits just keep on coming!

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/her.../1100-6428622/

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    The thread itself was a doozy. So much criminal activity they had to lock the thread, which they approved in the first place. Both of the codes listed in the OP worked, so feel free and screw Red Bull and 7-Eleven if you wish. Heck I used them and do not even have the game anymore. Stick it to the man.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1074278

The Point: Destiny: The Hardcore gamer's slot machine

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-p.../2300-6425852/

Great video, that reminded me that I was once that pigeon, tap, tap, tapping away at that button.

Gameinformer Cover and Info

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...ampaign=buffer

Few games in recent years have generated the same degree of debate as Bungie’s Destiny. Whether it’s fervent enthusiasm or harsh criticism depends on your perspective. Some of the harshest critics work at Bungie, striving with each passing update and expansion to hone the existing content while adding meaningful new adventures into the mix. Upon visiting Bungie, we expected to find a game that continued the process in incremental steps. Instead, we found a robust reimagining of everything that has come before, along with the largest influx of new missions, maps, strikes, gear, and storytelling yet seen. We spent two days playing The Taken King and speaking with its creators, and this month’s cover story has the scoop.

Following on the heels of two smaller expansions, The Taken King is set to arrive almost exactly a year after the original game launched. In that time, a lot has changed about Destiny, but The Taken King is a more fundamental restructuring. A revamped quest format adds story context and a natural progression path to old and new content. A newly recorded actor plays the Ghost from the beginning of the story to its conclusion. And the entire leveling system has been restructured for a seamless and deterministic path from levels 1 to 40 (the new level cap).

As for new content, the focus is on deeper and more meaningful storytelling. Cinematics are interspersed through the story missions, offering increased insight into previously paper-thin characters. The Ghost is a deeper and more involved character, played by a new actor. An initial set of new story missions is just the opening act of a larger set of narrative-focused events. New subclasses have dedicated story sequences in which you learn about their use. New weapons have more involved lore and storytelling behind them, and increased power levels that move them beyond existing gear. Even quests in the Crucible have a narrative angle.

For the cover story, we went hands on with the new systems, missions, and game modes to discover the details veteran players are eager to learn. Equally important, we grilled Bungie about the ways in which Destiny is changing to invite new players into the experience, and even draw back players who may have disliked it the first time around. Our 14-page blowout also features more than 20 new screens from The Taken King.

We also have a full month of online coverage planned in the lead-up to The Taken King’s launch, including a detailed look at one of the new exotic weapons, a video walkthrough of one of the new Crucible maps hosted by the level’s designers, and extensive interviews with the development team. Watch our coverage trailer for a hint of what to expect.

And the new ghost is voiced by Nolan North.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...ampaign=buffer

Modedit: additional info from the various Destiny threads today:

Originally Posted by Lnkn52

•progression has been reworked entirely since the game launched. Leveling from 1 to 40 is now based entirely on your own actions.

•A new behind-the-scenes reward system pays attention to the gear and weapons you already have, and not only attempts to avoid giving the same reward multiple times, but targets you for new loot that will be valuable for progression.

•You can carry more bounties at any one time, and turn them in without returning to the bounty giver.

•the Cryptarch more reliably provides rewards that match the engrams you give him.

•Quests provide meaningful story progression, and clearly trackable paths through all the game's content, thereby lessening the grind.

•The Crucible has improved matchmaking, and a mercy rule ends matches early when any given contest is dramatically misbalanced.

•Crucible heavy and special ammo drops and economies have been reworked to be more understandable and useable.

• Weapons have been balanced across the board, with the aim to eliminate the dominance of just a few weapons, and make every weapon type a compelling choice.

• Whether your gauge is number of Crucible maps, exotic weapons, or playable mission, Destiny now has more than twice as much content as the original release. While Taken King introduces the first fully explorable new gameplay area, the new story mission zones, raids, and arena add substantial real estate to uncover.

Player UI/UX
    Intelligence, Discipline, and Strength abilities now have numbered tiers to strive toward. Tiers are digital thresholds that you cross to reduce the cool down on your core three powers. Instead of a percentage, we want to tell you the time in secnds that your ability is going to come back in.

Music
    Newly composed music was made for the early story missions.

Gear (Ghost Shell Hype!)
    Weapons, armor, class items, and even your Ghost shell all offer perk customization as well as increased power and light for your hero.

Gunsmith and Armsday
    •The Gunsmith has his own reputation meter.

•You can test weapons by borrowing them.

• Hit a certain reputation level and he will open Armsday purchase. You can pay glimmer once a week to order a new legendary weapon. W/ random sets of perks.

Originally Posted by border

It's still bizarre to me that people were so insanely hung up on the Light system, or that this change is the thing that makes them want to come back.

The best details about the expansion are actually buried in the Game Informer print article:

-- gain weapon upgrade materials by dismantling old weapons (sounds like an enchanting/jewel-slotting type system, or maybe just the replacement of Ascendent Energy)
    --No more class based armor materials (Hadronic Essence, Plasteel Plating, etc). There will be one armor material that can be used by all classes
    --Special vendor that lets you pick up any shader or emblem you have already acquired on your account (no more wasting vault space on shaders). Further vault/storage solutions on the way
    --Green/white weapons will be more powerful than your current legendaries
    --Details about Exotic Weapons -- auto rifle that shoots chain lightning, sniper rifle that blinds enemies on a headshot, pulse rifle that reloads magazine when you land precision shots, fusion rifle that counts as a heavy weapon and acts as a portable rail gun
    --Exotic items now have their "defining perk" immediately unlocked (eg You can do a blinding bubble as soon as you acquire Helm of Saint 14, no need to level it up)
    --Crucible will have questlines that introduce you to Shaxx and the various faction leaders

Originally Posted by Namikaze1

- auto rifle that shoots blast of chain lightning
    - a sniper that blinds nearby enemies on precision hit
    - Pulse Rifle called No Time To Explain
    -exotics come with an intrinsic perk upon acquisition
    - many are tied to involved quest lines
    - one such quest line has you explore the Dreadnaught and looking for hidden pieces sorta like Dead Ghost Hunting.
    -Sleeper Simulant, a fusion rifle that takes up heavy slot. Quest Line exotic.

Originally Posted by captscience

New Taken Enemy Abilities

Captains have a solar shield. Throw blinding orbs.
    Knights have AoE scorch.
    Centurions fire tracking shots that track around corners.
    Wizards summon thralls.
    Psions split in two.
    Vandals have a bubble shield they can shoot out of.
    Phalanxes have an AoE that push you backwards.
    Thrall can teleport.

Originally Posted by lt519

Some more goodness

Crucible:
    -ToO bounties
    -Week long Crucible bounties (with a 6th for completing the first 5 and a big reward, legendary/exotic)
    -Eight new PvP maps
    -Zone Control (control without kills for points)
    -Rift (steal the bacon game type)
    -Playstation exclusive map has platforms in center to create jumping gun battles
    -Vex map with a one-way teleporter (hah)

For those still playing. Xur's selling the Gjallerhorn this week. The one item that I waited forever for Xur to sell. Of course they are getting ready to nerf it but it is still a great RL.

I wanna get back into this as it's been a while. I'm not paying $40 for the Taken King though.
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    I wanna get back into this as it's been a while. I'm not paying $40 for the Taken King though.
    They lost me when they said a few months ago that they weren't pushing the weapons balance patch (SORELY needed) until this new expansion came out because all the changes relate to each other. The final round perk on sniper rifles (last bullet will one hit kill anyone no matter where on the body it hits, even someone with full health), Thorn (hilariously overpowered - if you play Trials, every single person uses it), and the Shot Package perk on Shotguns (basically extends one hit kill range to ridiculous ranges) are not dependent upon anything and would not affect the game negatively in anyway if they were nerfed immediately when they announced the changes.

I've been bored of it for months, but that dumb mentality pushed me over the fence when deciding whether or not to buy the Taken King.

They are making a lot of changes, that look really good so far.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/...the-taken-king

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    They are making a lot of changes, that look really good so far.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/...the-taken-king
    Good stuff there.
    The dude abides.

Well I have seen enough of the Taken King that I am jumping back into Destiny. Never played with a Hunter and that new bow super is pretty bad-ass.

It is good to see how it is evolving in their evergreen approach. I'll wait and see if the content justifies it being $40 or wait til $20.
    The dude abides.

Even if you do not plan to purchase The Taken King, the new update (Sept 8th) will force all users to download 18 GB's of stuff.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/des.../1100-6430149/

So I started The Taken king and Bungie has impressed so far. Love the year 2 look and feel. They even had a nice little present for my new character (which I bumped to lvl 25 using the spark of light) and one of the steps was to see the Cryptarch. He shows a green engram and it ends up being an exotic (Mida Multi Tool) the one I have wanted forever. Apparently he does this for everyone that uses the spark of light (the exotic will vary) . Bungie actually poking fun at themselves, a breath of fresh air.

Of course it is a year one weapon but there is hope it will make it to year 2 in a future update. Amazing gun and can pretty much eliminate the need for a sniper rifle, outside of an Icebreaker and the unlimited ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    So I started The Taken king and Bungie has impressed so far. Love the year 2 look and feel. They even had a nice little present for my new character (which I bumped to lvl 25 using the spark of light) and one of the steps was to see the Cryptarch. He shows a green engram and it ends up being an exotic (Mida Multi Tool) the one I have wanted forever. Apparently he does this for everyone that uses the spark of light (the exotic will vary) . Bungie actually poking fun at themselves, a breath of fresh air.

Of course it is a year one weapon but there is hope it will make it to year 2 in a future update. Amazing gun and can pretty much eliminate the need for a sniper rifle, outside of an Icebreaker and the unlimited ammo.
    Dammit. Quit tempting me I have $20 in my account so now it would just cost me an additional $20. How in your opinion is it worth $40 rather than $20 on the other two?
    The dude abides.

I have only played the first mission of the new dlc and it was pretty good. They have really put more into the story this time. All of the changes have been for the better and eliminating a lot of the different things required to upgrade your character/factions/weapons and armor. Plus you can try out weapons (once you hit lvl 38) and infuse weapons you like with higher level weapons (they do have to be year 2 weapons). Went with the Titan and the new subclass is simply awesome. Throwing burning axes is well done and there is a grenade that makes the Warlocks Sunslinger grenades look tame in comparison. The new damage/armor leveling is much better than the light system you had after hitting 20.

I think the package as a whole is worth the price of admission. A new raid coming soon plus playing on PS4 you get an extra strike. A lot of the content, like weapons/armor, weekly heroics and certain strikes require you to be lvl 40 and a high enough damage/armor combo for the events. I went from 25 to 30 in under an hour and most people are saying getting to 40 is pretty easy. There were a ton of 40's running around the home bases so it must be. The difficulty will be getting the damage/armor rating up high by getting year 2 legendary/exotics.

My only complaint is how they screwed certain exotic weapons and armor that are only year one. The exotic I got only does a max 170 damage, compared to the 300+ of the year 2 stuff and exotics that can be upgraded to year 2 through the blueprint feature. That said the damage seems to be tied into the new damage/armor rating and feels much more powerful than 170. The crazy part is I am getting green weapons at level 30 that are close to the damage my exotic does. I plan to keep it as Bungie has mentioned they are looking to add more exotics to the year 2 specs.

Oh and skipping cut scenes is a great addition. I played a couple of the early story sections from the original game and while the players were not leveled up to my 25, the items dropped were at or near my level so it is worth running through the original story and 2 early DLC's for the loot and EXP for going through it once. There are now only two difficulties per mission and the second one is a really high level requirement. Have yet to find one I can do above the standard mission setting. You can still get a descent challenge with the lower level enemies. It always feels like when there is a big discrepency in levels, your damage takes a hit and the lower level guys pack a little more punch than expected.

Obtained a $20 card so I got it. Heard too many good things about a DLC of a game I poured a shit load of time into.
    The dude abides.

Beat the campaign yesterday and the strikes. Have no interest in the Raid though. Platforming levels with a Titan is not something I want to deal with. Overall I thought it was great but by now we should have a few more planets.