Thread: IGN Best PS3 Sports Game of 2012: Madden NFL 13.

• Facebook
  • Display

IGN Best PS3 Sports Game of 2012: Madden NFL 13.

Historically Madden gets a pretty bad rap. The haters--of which there are many--sit in their armchairs and hurl slurs of "It's just a $60 roster update!" and then get back to posting angry comments about Megatron. Well, this year, EA went for the knockout punch with Madden NFL 13. For starters, the game got a presentation overhaul.

Gone are the generic overlays and stilted commentary--now, you're getting the flash and flair of a CBS game every time you take the field. Still, the biggest under the hood additions came with the Infinity Engine adding physics that make each play different than the last, and Connected Careers taking every mode of Madden and slamming it into one online dynasty. Touchdown.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/best-of-201...S3_Sports_Game

Presentation upgrade? Very debatable. The commentary probably makes that true overall since it is a big upgrade imo (even though their passing game commentary is fairly clueless). But the replay system is horrid and the overall presentation package still needs work. I've never seen CBS use that garbage splice replay system in their package. It would be one thing if it was shown occassionally but 100% of every replay shown? Variety EA!!

I must say that despite all the bugs and issues with the game I have played more games with Madden 13 than any other Madden since '03. I've played 50 season games in my franchise and probably at least 20 exhibition games while waiting for patches or testing out sliders. I know a lot of people were pissed about the removal of features like multi-person franchise and importing draft class and I can understand that. But the addition of the stories and twitter feeds has been good. I really enjoy the draft and the new scouting is good too. Free agency is way better than the e-bay bidding of last year as well. They still need a weekly wrap up show and a transaction log in franchise. I'd like to see a post draft wrap up show and grade report as well. I think last year's game had one but it was hidden and you usually missed it. The one big selling feature was the Infinity Engine and I think it was oversold as a physics engine. It's mainly a tackling engine as true physics such as foot planting and proper weight and momentum are not there imo. The tackling is nice but IE doesn't extend much beyond that.

While Madden 13 was good to say it was the best sports game of the year is a bit of a stretch given all the bugs and patches needed for some things.
    Last edited by Rudy; 12-21-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Presentation upgrade? Very debatable. The commentary probably makes that true overall since it is a big upgrade imo (even though their passing game commentary is fairly clueless). But the replay system is horrid and the overall presentation package still needs work. I've never seen CBS use that garbage splice replay system in their package. It would be one thing if it was shown occassionally but 100% of every replay shown? Variety EA!!

I must say that despite all the bugs and issues with the game I have played more games with Madden 13 than any other Madden since '03. I've played 50 season games in my franchise and probably at least 20 exhibition games while waiting for patches or testing out sliders. I know a lot of people were pissed about the removal of features like multi-person franchise and importing draft class and I can understand that. But the addition of the stories and twitter feeds has been good. I really enjoy the draft and the new scouting is good too. Free agency is way better than the e-bay bidding of last year as well. They still need a weekly wrap up show and a transaction log in franchise. I'd like to see a post draft wrap up show and grade report as well. I think last year's game had one but it was hidden and you usually missed it. The one big selling feature was the Infinity Engine and I think it was oversold as a physics engine. It's mainly a tackling engine as true physics such as foot planting and proper weight and momentum are not there imo. The tackling is nice but IE doesn't extend much beyond that.

While Madden 13 was good to say it was the best sports game of the year is a bit of a stretch given all the bugs and patches needed for some things.
    Best game of the year... that is just bizarre. Look at all the things that were clearly BROKEN out of the box. Madden took a risk and for that should be credited. However, this is the first Madden I haven't owned since 04. Too many missing features and too many broken features. Even a lot of the OS Madden lovers have walked away from this game. FIFA 13 hands down should be game of the year.

As an addition, just listening to that IGN review was painful. Calling Madden AMAZING clearly shows this reviewer is not well educated in Madden. Plus, watching the BEARS in their ORANGE PANTS as he goes on about authenticity...