Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 College Basketball Discussion Thread

• Facebook
  • Display
    1/2 way to seeing a Top 20 team that was pre-season Top 10 and picked by the coaches and media to win their conference storm the court after a home conference win. Turn it to ESPN if you want to see the idiocy that is student sections in college basketball.

I fail to see the objection, across the board, to storming the court. Are there times I don't agree with it? Sure. But I don't see why some people act all elitist about it. Though I do understand it a little more from Duke fans, since, as CLW often points out, they're often the recipient of such storming. But if a game is exciting, sure, I can see it.

If we're going to talk about student section idiocy, I have more objection to the ridiculously sized heads that people hold up during free-throws. Not a fan of that fad.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    I fail to see the objection, across the board, to storming the court. Are there times I don't agree with it? Sure. But I don't see why some people act all elitist about it. Though I do understand it a little more from Duke fans, since, as CLW often points out, they're often the recipient of such storming. But if a game is exciting, sure, I can see it.

If we're going to talk about student section idiocy, I have more objection to the ridiculously sized heads that people hold up during free-throws. Not a fan of that fad.
    LOL turn it to ESPN and perhaps you will think differently of Wolfpack fans.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    LOL turn it to ESPN and perhaps you will think differently of Wolfpack fans.
    I did turn it on for a few minutes of the second half. I saw nothing notable. EDIT: Except the Wolfpack cheerleaders show a nice amount of skin.

EDIT: I may need to clarify. I don't always agree with a student's section choice to rush the floor. I personally never did it. But I also don't agree with the universal disdain that some people have for it.

As for your point about the coaches picking them to win the conference ... predictions aren't reality, underdog is still underdog, Duke is still Duke, and #1 is still #1.
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 01-12-2013 at 12:57 PM.

and "the streak" of stupidity continues

LMAO guy in a WHEEL CHAIR got knocked over by one of the IDIOTS from the Wolfpack student section.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    The elitist is strong with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    The elitist is strong with this one.
    If elitist = calling out MORONS for what they are: guilty is charged. NOTHING positive can happen from a court/field storming. See Exhibit A:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...01-11-21-48-28

Did I miss something?

What does storming the court have to do with a POLITICAL debate about gun control and video games?

If a bunch of college kids having FUN storming the court after a big win is bad, I guess I'm with you. Fans do this all the time and largely without incident. Big deal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

If elitist = calling out MORONS for what they are: guilty is charged. NOTHING positive can happen from a court/field storming.
    No, elitist is disagreeing with what someone else chooses to do while having an air of superiority and judgement about it.

Good grief, dude. You can dislike what they did without calling them morons. We get it. You don't like court-storming. Message received (long before today, for that matter).

Nothing positive can happen from a lot of things that college students choose to do. Including things, I would be willing to bet, you did from time to time. If that's your criteria for whether or not something is moronic ....

For what it's worth, when I initially said elitist, I wasn't talking about you. But then you walked right into the description.
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 01-12-2013 at 11:38 PM.

No, elitist is disagreeing with what someone else chooses to do while having an air or superiority and judgement about it.

Good grief, dude. You can dislike what they did without calling them morons. We get it. You don't like court-storming. Message received (long before today, for that matter).

Nothing positive can happen from a lot of things that college students choose to do. Including things, I would be willing to bet, you did from time to time. If that's your criteria for whether or not something is moronic ....

For what it's worth, when I initially said elitist, I wasn't talking about you. But then you walked right into the description.
    I MOST DEFINITELY meant it. That's Duke basketball fans to a fuckin' tee. They think they're better than everyone else and always have.

USC fires Kevin O'Neill. I was surprised they kept him on-board this long following Tim Floyd's resignation in 2009. They've had decent (but not great) talent and underachieved every year. They should be a good program if they could get a decent coach & recruiter.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    USC fires Kevin O'Neill. I was surprised they kept him on-board this long following Tim Floyd's resignation in 2009. They've had decent (but not great) talent and underachieved every year. They should be a good program if they could get a decent coach & recruiter.
    If Nebraska can whoop up on them, he should have be instantly fired.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    The problem was/is he can coach D but is an AWFUL offensive coach. Although Kenpom defended him a bit recently because USC has had a fairly tough schedule this season.

Two things about court-storming today:
    Players encouraging it probably won't help it stop
    LMAO guy in a WHEEL CHAIR got knocked over by one of the IDIOTS from the Wolfpack student section.
    And it wasn't some guy, it was a student, he went out there willingly, and he was "saved" by one of the NC State players. Pretty cool on the part of the player, though the kid self-acknowledges that it was stupid for him to go out there.

Two things about court-storming today:
    Players encouraging it probably won't help it stop
    And it wasn't some guy, it was a student, he went out there willingly, and he was "saved" by one of the NC State players. Pretty cool on the part of the player, though the kid self-acknowledges that it was stupid for him to go out there.
    Its just a matter of time before someone dies or is seriously injured during one of these things. In fact, it has already happened:

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jun...rts/sp-crowe17

"Students" have taken "sucker punches" at the opponents team while they are trying to leave the court; there have been spitting/racial slur incidents; etc... The person(s) mostly likely to get injured are the visiting teams players who have ZERO say in whether they join in the stupidity or not.

I believe the fines a school for every court/field storming with escalating penalties. I think that's a pretty good idea with the caveat that the penalty $ should go to the school that just "got stormed" after losing. $1,000,000 per "storm" would stop this b.s. real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    If Nebraska can whoop up on them, he should have be instantly fired.
    Watch out for Nebrasketball in the next few yrs, though. Timmy Miles has the team on the right track given their 0-4 conference record. Give them some legit talent and they could be on the rebound....

So, I heard there was some court storming tonight. Interesting.

Egging him on; I LOVE it.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post

Egging him on; I LOVE it.
    Duke loses on the road = court storming. Apparently that is one of the ten commandments of college basketball. Thou shall storm the court when you beat mighty .

Watched EVERY second of the game last night. Duke isn't the same w/o Kelly and it probably wouldn't have mattered last night as The U couldn't miss last night and Duke couldn't hit anything. However, The U probably did themselves no favors with the mocking of the Duke players and the entire team floor slap and attempting to run up the score when up nearly 30 with a few minutes remaining. K still runs it up when he can against poor thanks to the beat down they gave him in '82.

Honestly, if you had told me pre-season would be 16-2 and playing the 12th best offense and 7th best defense in the country with the #1 strength of schedule in the country I would have taken it in a heart beat. I easily visioned 4-5 losses by now.