Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 College Basketball Discussion Thread

• Facebook
  • Display
    I meant to post this yesterday but didn't get the chance. What do you guys think, is it time to just stop with the Carrier Classic stuff?

Both games Friday night ended up cancelled because of court condensations, Ohio State-Marquette never even getting started, Florida-Georgetown making it to halftime before being called off. And while I can't recall for certain, I want to believe that Carrier Classic games have been called off in the past because of issues like court condensation. They should just make it stuff like the MSU-UConn game in Germany. Play the games on a base in an aircraft hanger or something, or if they really want to have the games outdoors, put together the court and stuff outside somewhere on the base.

Smooth, this is only the second year of Carrier Classic games. So they couldn't have been cancelled in the past

Last year's Carrier Classic had the court and seating setup on both the flight deck and in the hanger bay, in case of inclement weather. I have a gut feeling that the hanger bay wouldn't have had the same problem with condensation on the court that the flight deck had. No word on whether or not this year's games had a similar fall back plan.

I see no reason to stop it because of condensation. It was a cancelled game ... no big deal, really. If the teams involved still want to play and people still want to promote them, so be it. I would appreciate a little more planning to reduce the likelihood of a cancellation though.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Smooth, this is only the second year of Carrier Classic games. So they couldn't have been cancelled in the past

Last year's Carrier Classic had the court and seating setup on both the flight deck and in the hanger bay, in case of inclement weather. I have a gut feeling that the hanger bay wouldn't have had the same problem with condensation on the court that the flight deck had. No word on whether or not this year's games had a similar fall back plan.

I see no reason to stop it because of condensation. It was a cancelled game ... no big deal, really. If the teams involved still want to play and people still want to promote them, so be it. I would appreciate a little more planning to reduce the likelihood of a cancellation though.
    Well, like I said, I couldn't remember if any were called off in the past (last year).

But if this continues to be an issue, especially if they try on the flight deck again, they need to do something, because they spend the time setting it all up, promoting it, etc, and then jack squat happens. There were absolutely no issues with MSU-UConn in the hanger at Ramstein AFB. It's the carriers that are having the issues. If the games on carriers continue having problems or getting cancelled in the future, they need to just abandon the 'game on a carrier' idea and do it all somewhere on bases.

There were absolutely no issues with MSU-UConn -- this year. There were absolutely no issues with the Carrier Classic -- last year. I'm not predicting issues for games on bases, but one-time examples kinda suck

Again, they do all of the effort setting up, promoting, etc. It sucks for the military that are there and the families that fly out to watch their kids play (though at least Aaron Craft's parents got to watch his sister play for the OSU women's team). Otherwise, why does it matter that it got cancelled? It's a waste of Wal-Mart's money. Fine by me.

I'm sure they'll do something next year to mitigate the risk.

There were absolutely no issues with MSU-UConn -- this year. There were absolutely no issues with the Carrier Classic -- last year. I'm not predicting issues for games on bases, but one-time examples kinda suck

Again, they do all of the effort setting up, promoting, etc. It sucks for the military that are there and the families that fly out to watch their kids play (though at least Aaron Craft's parents got to watch his sister play for the OSU women's team). Otherwise, why does it matter that it got cancelled? It's a waste of Wal-Mart's money. Fine by me.

I'm sure they'll do something next year to mitigate the risk.
    There were no issues with MSU-UConn because they were playing inside a hanger where, it was either a C-5 Galaxy or a C-17 Globemaster III, was sitting just 24 hours before. Maybe it was bad luck this year, but two games on two separate carriers in different cities (and states) had issues. Maybe it was something with being on the east coast. It was fine last year on the west coast, maybe they should keep it on the west coast. I don't know.

But if problems continue in future years with the Carrier Classic, they need to look at changing something. Now Florida, Georgetown, Marquette and Ohio State have all lost a game that could affect them at the end of the season. Every year, a team gets screwed in seeding or even getting into the NCAA tournament, and one or two games end up being the difference. Those four teams now not only have permanently lost a game from their schedule this season, but what would have been a quality win for two of the teams, they now won't have it to claim and use for a better seeding or even to get in when it comes tournament time.

I think the weather was unexpected for this time of year in those locations. Maybe it was bad luck this year. Or maybe it was good luck last year.

The West Coast does have the inherent advantage of being three hours earlier. There was no problem for the 5 pm OSU/ND women's game. It only surfaced for the 7 or 8 pm men's game.

I would think ABC would go for staging it mid-day on Sunday, rather than Friday night. I also think none of those four teams will have a problem with the tournament. None of them are likely to be screwed, and, if they aren't good enough to avoid that problem, they probably wouldn't have won Friday night.

I think the weather was unexpected for this time of year in those locations. Maybe it was bad luck this year. Or maybe it was good luck last year.

The West Coast does have the inherent advantage of being three hours earlier. There was no problem for the 5 pm OSU/ND women's game. It only surfaced for the 7 or 8 pm men's game.

I would think ABC would go for staging it mid-day on Sunday, rather than Friday night. I also think none of those four teams will have a problem with the tournament. None of them are likely to be screwed, and, if they aren't good enough to avoid that problem, they probably wouldn't have won Friday night.
    Just giving some thoughts off the top of my head.

And yeah, they would have been just fine if they had played a couple hours earlier. But they'll never do it on a Saturday or Sunday because then you're fighting college football and the NFL. Just like the 24 hours of basketball on Tuesday. Lets put this shit from midnight to midnight on a freaking Tuesday when most people worked Monday and have to work Tuesday, so they won't be sitting up to watch West Virginia-Gonzaga at midnight, Davidson-New Mexico at 2am, Temple-Kent State at noon, etc. But you can't do it during Saturday or Sunday, because again, you're fighting college football and the NFL.

I don't like the Carrier games as they are a gimmick IMHO. However, they are unlikely to stop due to one year of bad weather. The casual fan really seems to like the concept so I suspect they will continue to kick off the season.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Uugh. College basketball is SO dumb. Top 25 matchup last night between #9 Syracuse and #20 San Diego State and it's not even on freakin' TV. SO dumb.

(sigh)

It's total bullshit that I have to stay up until 2am (unless there is overtime) to watch WVU play a fuckin' basketball game. Fuck you NCAA for this horrific idea.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Uugh. College basketball is SO dumb. Top 25 matchup last night between #9 Syracuse and #20 San Diego State and it's not even on freakin' TV. SO dumb.
    Uhm, it was on Fox Sports. I saw it live.

If it wasn't on in your area, it was probably because the game was reschedule from Friday to Sunday.

(sigh)

It's total bullshit that I have to stay up until 2am (unless there is overtime) to watch WVU play a fuckin' basketball game.
    Given the halftime score, it looks like the team had no interest in staying up until 2 AM ET either.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    I meant to post this yesterday but didn't get the chance. What do you guys think, is it time to just stop with the Carrier Classic stuff?
    I like the idea behind the Carrier Classic and other games, but I just think college basketball games are meant to be played indoors in a standard arena. Wind, weather, etc. are not supposed to be a factor.

The biggest problem though wasn't the weather as some articles keep saying. The two that were cancelled were due to 'engineering' issues where people don't understand condensation. If they had played them in the afternoon, there would have been no issue.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    I like the idea behind the Carrier Classic and other games, but I just think college basketball games are meant to be played indoors in a standard arena. Wind, weather, etc. are not supposed to be a factor.

The biggest problem though wasn't the weather as some articles keep saying. The two that were cancelled were due to 'engineering' issues where people don't understand condensation. If they had played them in the afternoon, there would have been no issue.
    Yeah the wind and different lighting effectively eliminates the 3 point shot (or drastically limits it). So it really hurts a team if they normally are good/excellent at 3 point shooting.

In short, these games are not going to end but they are unlikely to ever be exciting/well played games due to the weather affecting play so greatly.

I think we had this discussion in another thread but a player knows NOTHING about the greatest game ever played.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-...98--ncaab.html

Well scores the first "big" W of the year in the least played "rivalry" in College Hoops:

It's a shame when your basketball team can record a win before the football team.

put a beat down on last night.

Tonight takes on @ CIS

Well has taken out 3/4 of last year's Final 4 and 4 Top 25 teams including 3 in the Top 5 at the time.

Sadly, yet again, this is why barely anyone pays attention to college basketball early in the year. The rankings really just don't matter, especially when you're looking at the March Madness picture.

Sadly, yet again, this is why barely anyone pays attention to college basketball early in the year. The rankings really just don't matter, especially when you're looking at the March Madness picture.
    Yep, just like I don't put any stock into these early season wins. Sure, Duke is going to be among the favorites to win the title, they'll be one of the most likely to make the Final Four, etc. But wins over all these "top teams" here in November don't mean jack shit when March comes, especially when you include those teams that catch ungodly fire in late February/early March and come storming into the tournament like a bat out of hell. As far as I'm concerned, Duke is just as likely to win the title or make the Final Four as they are to get knocked out of the tournament in the second round or Sweet 16.