Page 59 of 60 FirstFirst ... 94957585960 LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1194

Thread: Current Events

• Facebook
  • Display
    I don't know if y'all have seen this on the news but Baton Rouge, LA just had a record-breaking flood, a flood that I unfortunately fell victim to. I had waist high water in my house this morning and my wife, dogs, and I all had to be rescued by boat. We're all ok and and currently staying at a friend's house. I dropped my phone in the water when one of my dogs decided to jump off the high ground I set him on into the water so my phone isn't holding a charge right now (plus there's currently no cell service in the area). Just wanted to give y'all a heads up if I go MIA for a while. Also, thanks fellas for being some of the coolest guys I've never met but I consider brothers anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    I don't know if y'all have seen this on the news but Baton Rouge, LA just had a record-breaking flood, a flood that I unfortunately fell victim to. I had waist high water in my house this morning and my wife, dogs, and I all had to be rescued by boat. We're all ok and and currently staying at a friend's house. I dropped my phone in the water when one of my dogs decided to jump off the high ground I set him on into the water so my phone isn't holding a charge right now (plus there's currently no cell service in the area). Just wanted to give y'all a heads up if I go MIA for a while. Also, thanks fellas for being some of the coolest guys I've never met but I consider brothers anyway.
    I'm so sorry to hear that soulja. Thank goodness you all made it out safely. God bless you and your family and I hope things can get back to normal for you as soon as possible.

Definitely glad to hear you're safe Bill!

Wow, glad you are OK, Bill! Scary stuff.

Glad to hear you're safe man. I saw your posts on Facebook, but didn't get a chance to reply before I had to run out the door for work. Hopefully things start to dry out down there.

Stay safe man!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Glad to hear you and your family are ok, Bill. I had a similar situation in 2008 (though I had enough warning to leave because it was a hurricane). Nonetheless, my house was on the water so I got 5 feet too.

One thing that I learned from all of that was that personal belongings, memorabilia and even irreplaceable sentimental items don't mean anything. Whatever you've lost is gone and you just move on.

We've had alot of flooding in Houston as well this year and fortunately I'm not in a trouble spot so I've easily avoided all of it. The mess that caused the flooding in Louisiana is supposed to be here for the next several days (it started yesterday). Hopefully it's not as devastating as it has been there (I'm sure I'll be fine).

Anyway, like I said, I'm glad you guys are alright. That's what matters most.

Stay safe Bill.

Bill, good to hear you and family are ok and safe.

I hadn't heard about it but I haven't had a chance to check news.

Holy fuck, we extremely lucked out tonight. My city, and most of NW Ohio, nearly got fucking leveled by nonstop tornadoes. It was just one tornado reported/confirmed after another for about 3 1/2 hours straight. Last I heard, 41 reports of tornadoes just in northern Indiana and NW Ohio alone tonight.

Some pictures of the tornadoes and storms from around my area tonight.

Spoiler: show

There was damage done in multiple towns and cities, but no injuries or deaths have been reported so far. But fuck what a tense night. It has been decades since we had a tornado anywhere near our city, much less literally less than two miles from my house. Two miles further south, and I'd potentially not have a house right now.

Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 08-24-2016 at 09:37 PM.

Glad to see you did not get hit by one and that there was nobody killed.

Glad you're safe, Smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Holy fuck, we extremely lucked out tonight. My city, and most of NW Ohio, nearly got fucking leveled by nonstop tornadoes. It was just one tornado reported/confirmed after another for about 3 1/2 hours straight. Last I heard, 41 reports of tornadoes just in northern Indiana and NW Ohio alone tonight.

Some pictures of the tornadoes and storms from around my area tonight.

Spoiler: show

There was damage done in multiple towns and cities, but no injuries or deaths have been reported so far. But fuck what a tense night. It has been decades since we had a tornado anywhere near our city, much less literally less than two miles from my house. Two miles further south, and I'd potentially not have a house right now.

Tornadoes and earthquakes scare the shit out of me. I live in an area where hurricanes are a yearly thing but we can prepare for that. One minute, you're minding your business, the next minute, the wind is trip to rip your life apart or the land under your feet starts moving. Glad you're ok, Smooth. Stay safe.

Appreciate it fellas! They weren't talking ANYTHING like that at noon. They were just talking maybe some heavy rain, a couple storms here and there, maybe a few of them severe. Instead we ended up with a widespread tornado outbreak like you'd see on the plains in Oklahoma. I went and did some research this morning. Our county, the entire county, has only seen 6 tornadoes since 1950, four of them being F0s. The closest tornado to my city before last night had been an F2 that dropped 3 or 4 miles south of town and tracked southeast for 3 miles back in 1986.

I'm anxiously awaiting the results of the Northern Indiana NWS damage surveys that they'll be doing this morning. I want to see the map with the tracks of the tornadoes plotted out. Also to find out officially how many tornadoes there actually were, since a good portion of those 41 reported tornadoes were probably duplicates of the same tornado.

And the fun ain't over. We're under threat again today. We're looking at almost the exact same atmospheric conditions this afternoon. Already humid as hell, gonna be 86 today, heat index in the mid 90s, got a cold front come through sometime later today that is expected to kick off more storms.

I also have another picture I found this morning, taken from our neighboring city about 12 miles to our northeast. It's the same tornado that just skirted the north side of town here, but it's a hell of a picture, taken of the tornado out in the country, with the press box of the local high school's football stadium in front of it. I'll try to get it posted here in a bit when I get a chance.

Here's the picture I was talking about, with the football stadium in the foreground and the tornado passing behind it. This exact football stadium is where we're gonna be broadcasting a football game from tonight. It's the first game of the season between our city and this city, hated rivals in sports. Playing a football game in the same location just 24 hours after a sight like that, what a crazy time it's been.

And like I said, it's not over yet as they're talking more storms this afternoon and evening. Except this time they're actually saying there's a risk of severe storms and tornadoes, unlike yesterday when there was just talk of storms and heavy rains.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Jesus Smooth. Be careful man!

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Jesus Smooth. Be careful man!
    I'm planning on it! This really blew up out of nowhere, dozens of meteorologists, both people with the National Weather Service, to local guys on TV were completely caught by surprise by this. Just 12 hours before it started, there had been nothing in regards to expectations or possibilities of tornadoes in our area.

Also came across a video of the tornado, when it was still 20-30 miles southwest of us, before it got to my city. This thing was already massive at times long before it got near us.

Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 08-25-2016 at 09:33 AM.

Preliminary survey results came in tonight. Between NE Indiana and NW Ohio, we had (so far) 14 confirmed tornadoes. Of those confirmed, 8 were rated EF-0, 3 rated EF-1, two rated EF-2 and one EF-3.

The EF-3 was just across the state line near Woodburn, Indiana, caused a bunch of damage there. Our tornado, that passed just north of town, is currently rated an EF-2, along with the tornado that touched down between here and Woodburn.

So it was a hell of a storm that night. That single storm put down 6 tornadoes on its own. An EF-0 northeast of Fort Wayne, an EF-3 near Woodburn, an EF-2 15 minutes later near Antwerp, Ohio, 20 minutes later the EF-2 just north of me, 15 minutes later an EF-1 west of Napoleon, Ohio and then a very brief EF-0 in a field southeast of Liberty Center.

That alone is a crap ton of tornadoes. Then you include the OTHER storm further south of us that put down 8 tornadoes across 6 different counties in Indiana and Ohio.

Then another handful of tornadoes, at least 6 more, maybe as many as 10 in north-central Indiana, down near Indianapolis and over northwest of Dayton.

And all this on a day where we were just at risk for some simple storms and rain. As of noon that day, there was zero mentions of any risk of tornadoes around here, both from the NWS and on the local news channels in Toledo.

For anyone who might be interested, here's the link to the page the Northern Indiana office created and has been updating the last two days with information on the storms. Hopefully they'll have some new stuff up later today with more info from the surveys. They have a table, though currently blank, that they plan to list the counties and issuance time for tornado warnings and the lead times for when the storms/tornadoes actually hit. I am really looking forward to see that completed table, see just how much warning and lead times they were able to give people on these storms. Current national average lead time is 13 minutes, so I'm very curious to see how the numbers compare from Wednesday night.

www.weather.gov/iwx/20160824_TornadoOutbreak

Again, Smooth, I'm glad you're safe.

We've had a run of bad weather in recent months among our small group here. A couple of flooding spells in Houston which fucked people all around me (within 10 minutes), Bill getting flooded and your close call.

I'm just thankful everyone made it out okay.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post

We've had a run of bad weather in recent months among our small group here. A couple of flooding spells in Houston which fucked people all around me (within 10 minutes), Bill getting flooded and your close call.

Thanks man. It was a bit of a tense evening. All three news stations broke in live on air around 5 or 5:30 and stayed on air the entire time until after 9pm giving constant live updates and analysis and showing the radar scans to warn people. It was a bit funny because in addition to killing off most of the primetime TV schedule that night, they completely killed their 6pm newscasts, so it was 11pm before any of the stations had their first newscast since noon.

But it helped, because they were able to get a good look at the storms on radar and relatively pinpoint where the most threatened areas were in regards to the tornadoes. Some of the scans, you could see a pretty defined hook start to form, making it easy for even those at home to know exactly where the tornado was on the map.

We definitely lucked out though. That thing probably would have majorly fucked up this town if it had come into town instead of just brushing to the north. The damage that it did do out north, it would have done so major carnage in town.

Hopefully all of us here can get a break from the weather, lol. I know I'm all weathered out. I'm fine with sun the rest of the year, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post

Yeah, I'm just glad everyone is safe and sound.

I shared this on FB the day of but not here. Here's a vid I made while standing outside in the floodwaters.