Page 12 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Events

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Only listened to the first 30 seconds or so (I imagine the rest of it is pretty much the same thing over and over), but he's spot on. Regardless of what your skin color is, it's spot on.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

I haven't followed the Michael Brown story too closely but I thought this article from AP was very informative.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/michael...bery-1.2737306

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    I haven't followed the Michael Brown story too closely but I thought this article from AP was very informative.

And now the law....

Assuming this story is true the officer was justified in using deadly force when the suspects attacked him and attempted to take his gun (assault of an officer and attempted murder of a police officer).

At that point they were fleeing felons who had shown on 2 prior occasions on that day their propensity for violence: #1 robbery by force at the store; #2 physically attacking the police officer and trying to kill him with his gun.

http://www.abc17news.com/news/attemp...force/27485056

you think the riots are bad now just wait when the either the officer is cleared of all wrong doing or he is found not guilty.

Law enforcement officer's use of force in making an arrest.

1. A law enforcement officer need not retreat or desist from efforts to effect the arrest, or from efforts to prevent the escape from custody, of a person he reasonably believes to have committed an offense because of resistance or threatened resistance of the arrestee. In addition to the use of physical force authorized under other sections of this chapter, he is, subject to the provisions of subsections 2 and 3, justified in the use of such physical force as he reasonably believes is immediately necessary to effect the arrest or to prevent the escape from custody.

2. The use of any physical force in making an arrest is not justified under this section unless the arrest is lawful or the law enforcement officer reasonably believes the arrest is lawful.

3. A law enforcement officer in effecting an arrest or in preventing an escape from custody is justified in using deadly force only

(1) When such is authorized under other sections of this chapter; or

(2) When he reasonably believes that such use of deadly force is immediately necessary to effect the arrest and also reasonably believes that the person to be arrested

(a) Has committed or attempted to commit a felony; or

(b) Is attempting to escape by use of a deadly weapon; or

(c) May otherwise endanger life or inflict serious physical injury unless arrested without delay.

4. The defendant shall have the burden of injecting the issue of justification under this section
    Missouri statute on the issue. Brown committed a felony (assault/attempted murder of officer) possibly used the officer's gun (deadly weapon) to escape and was a danger to others life or physical injury (already assaulted the store worker and police officer that day and those things tend to escalate quickly).

Haven't followed the story, just hearing about since G posted honestly.

Did here of this story though. Haven't followed it either though or the investigation

https://news.vice.com/article/video-...kehold-by-nypd

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post

I am not saying anyone deserves to be shot but there is a reason the family did not want the tape released. He comes of as a common thug. Just taking what he wanted and bullying the store clerk as he walk out.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 08-15-2014 at 07:26 PM.

Missouri statute on the issue. Brown committed a felony (assault/attempted murder of officer) possibly used the officer's gun (deadly weapon) to escape and was a danger to others life or physical injury (already assaulted the store worker and police officer that day and those things tend to escalate quickly).
    What about the part above what you bolded. "Is immediately necessary to effect the arrest".

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that means you don't need to shoot an unarmed, non-resisting man between three and eight times.

Also, in your previous post when you mentioned that they had previously committed a felony, jaymo's link, contains a quote from the Ferguson Police Chief that admits the officer knew nothing about the robbery when he approached Brown. So he didn't have any proof of any previous act at that time. Unless walking while black was the previous crime.

Sorry if I sound pissed off or like I'm singling you out, but this has been a long week, and seeing this story dominate the headlines, both locally and nationally, hasn't made it any better. Especially when some of my co-workers have fundamentally missed the point of what's going on, being protested, etc.

In regards to the fact that the officer didn't know Brown was involved in the robbery earlier in the day, that doesn't take into account the fact that Brown may have not known why the officer was confronting them. The two teens were walking in the middle of the street and the officer asked them to move... it's highly possible that Brown thought the officer was confronting them due to the robbery. Obviously that's pure speculation and no one will know, but if the reports of him wrestling with the officer are true, that's probably what sparked it... Brown thought he was fighting to stay out of jail.

At the end of the day, it's unfortunate. But how both sides have handled it since then have been atrocious.

Another thug off the streets and, better yet, not wasting tax dollars in prison. Good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    At the end of the day, it's unfortunate. But how both sides have handled it since then have been atrocious.
    Agreed. And it bothers me to see a lot of it done by the County Police, the same group that is charged with protecting me and mine.

One positive last night. There were more looters and troublemakers out last night, mostly young people unfortunately, but protesters and a local politician were among the group that stood in their way and put a stop to it. Police were not involved in ending that looting. If the people of Ferguson start talking more responsibility for stopping the troublemakers in the area from destroying their own neighborhoods, good for them. Maybe this story will get back to being about the protesting and not the chaos and violence.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    What about the part above what you bolded. "Is immediately necessary to effect the arrest".

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that means you don't need to shoot an unarmed, non-resisting man between three and eight times.

Also, in your previous post when you mentioned that they had previously committed a felony, jaymo's link, contains a quote from the Ferguson Police Chief that admits the officer knew nothing about the robbery when he approached Brown. So he didn't have any proof of any previous act at that time. Unless walking while black was the previous crime.

Sorry if I sound pissed off or like I'm singling you out, but this has been a long week, and seeing this story dominate the headlines, both locally and nationally, hasn't made it any better. Especially when some of my co-workers have fundamentally missed the point of what's going on, being protested, etc.
    Wrong.

It has come out that the officer didn't know about the robbery - but that doesn't matter b/c Brown was still a fleeing violent felon.

The facts appear to be - The officer told the kids to get out of the middle of the street (jaywalking = misdemeanor). The kids apparently refused and at least one of them (presumably Brown) attacked the officer. Once Brown pushed the officer and tried to grab the officer's gun (and potentially even fired the gun in the car during the struggle) he became a violent felon and the officer certainly knew that (assault/attempted murder of a police officer is certainly a felony). Moreover to call Brown "non-resisting" lacks any credibility considering the facts the investigation has brought forth so far (i.e. struggle in the car and a shot fired).

Presumably after struggling for the gun (and losing that attempt) he ran attempting to escape (after all why else do you run from the po po). Thus the shooting became "immediately necessary" due to the distance Brown (the violent felon) had put between himself and the officer.

Bottom line, you comply with an officer's commands and you CERTAINLY NEVER touch a police officer and try to grab his gun. Brown just got what was coming to him. It is as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Another thug off the streets and, better yet, not wasting tax dollars in prison. Good riddance.
    It is people like you, you know, folks with jobs that give a bad name to our entitled thugs, rioters, losers and my favorite protesters . If you would just quit working you would have way more time to seize upon opportunities to steal and rob from dumbasses with jobs...............

Supposedly a Ferguson shop owner today after people were looting his store last night.

With all the rioting and looting and destruction of property going on there, I don't blame that guy one bit (if that is a Ferguson store owner). I'd be doing the same thing to protect my business and my products for sale from a rampage of wild asses.

Wrong.

It has come out that the officer didn't know about the robbery - but that doesn't matter b/c Brown was still a fleeing violent felon.

The facts appear to be - The officer told the kids to get out of the middle of the street (jaywalking = misdemeanor). The kids apparently refused and at least one of them (presumably Brown) attacked the officer. Once Brown pushed the officer and tried to grab the officer's gun (and potentially even fired the gun in the car during the struggle) he became a violent felon and the officer certainly knew that (assault/attempted murder of a police officer is certainly a felony). Moreover to call Brown "non-resisting" lacks any credibility considering the facts the investigation has brought forth so far (i.e. struggle in the car and a shot fired).

Presumably after struggling for the gun (and losing that attempt) he ran attempting to escape (after all why else do you run from the po po). Thus the shooting became "immediately necessary" due to the distance Brown (the violent felon) had put between himself and the officer.
    You have ignored the "fact" that witnesses have reported that Brown was not fleeing when shot, but was instead facing the officer with his hands up. This is why the protesters have been shouting "Hands up, don't shoot". This suggests, strongly, that it was not necessary or time-critical to shoot Brown. Especially "more than two" times (quote from County Police chief).

Also, regarding the "facts" of the case: Ferguson Police Chief's Story on Michael Brown Keeps Evolvoing at http://www.thewire.com/national/2014...-brown/376130/ (I have no idea what The Wire is as a news source, but the article headline caught my eye. This story has changed way too many times for my liking.)

Grantland's first hand account from Ferguson: http://grantland.com/features/fergus...murder-police/

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    You have ignored the "fact" that witnesses have reported that Brown was not fleeing when shot, but was instead facing the officer with his hands up. This is why the protesters have been shouting "Hands up, don't shoot". This suggests, strongly, that it was not necessary or time-critical to shoot Brown. Especially "more than two" times (quote from County Police chief).

Also, regarding the "facts" of the case: Ferguson Police Chief's Story on Michael Brown Keeps Evolvoing at http://www.thewire.com/national/2014...-brown/376130/ (I have no idea what The Wire is as a news source, but the article headline caught my eye. This story has changed way too many times for my liking.)
    That's b/c their "story" smells to high heaven and its only a matter of time before their lies fall apart....

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/08/1686...uson-shooting/

That's b/c their "story" smells to high heaven and its only a matter of time before their lies fall apart....

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/08/1686...uson-shooting/
    My point is that there's a lot of fishy, inconsistent shit going on. And the Ferguson police have fumbled the release of information from the start.

There was another officer-involved shooting two nights later in the same area. It was quickly reported that there was a weapon either shown to or pointed at the officer involved. As far as I've seen, no one has so much as grumbled about that one.

BTW, going back to an earlier post of yours, as of Friday the police were still not willing to say that Brown was the one that was allegedly in the car reaching for the weapon. So while it's understandable to assume that, given the situation, the fact that they don't know it for sure just adds to the problem of the circumstances being utterly unclear.

In this day and age I am still surprised nobody got cellphone footage of the incident.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    In this day and age I am still surprised nobody got cellphone footage of the incident.
    Not to continue picking on the Ferguson police, but "in this day and age", I can't believe that they didn't have (and allegedly can't afford) dash cameras in their police cars. At least one report has said that they have them but can't afford to install them.