Page 10 of 60 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Events

• Facebook
  • Display
    The language barrier would be the last thing I'd worry about living in Mexico...

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    I wonder if I move to Mexico if I can sue businesses for not hiring me b/c I cannot speak Spanish?
    No.

That's what you get in a "melting pot" though.

No nationalism. No sense of national pride. No unity. No singleness of purpose. America.

Like a real-world Tower of Babel.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    No.

That's what you get in a "melting pot" though.

No nationalism. No sense of national pride. No unity. No singleness of purpose. America.

Like a real-world Tower of Babel.
    Or the Balkans...............

I'm all in favor of a petition to eliminate petition websites.

An in-flight Air New Zealand safety video, which had been branded sexist, has been replaced.

The film featured models dressed in bikinis demonstrating safety procedures with airline equipment.

Australian Natasha Young began a Change.org petition which called on the airline to stop using the video.

"This video completely disregards passengers who find it offensive," she said.

The petition against it got more than 11,000 signatures.

"A safety video is to alert passengers on what to do in an emergency; it should not be an excuse to objectify the sexualized female body," added Young.

The petition heard from concerned parents about their children's "impressionable nature", from people who found it difficult to watch because of "religious beliefs" and from people with body issues.

The women, seen relaxing around a pool and on a beach, are well known Sports Illustrated models like Christie Brinkley, Hannah Davis, Jessica Gomes, Ariel Meredith and Chrissy Teigen.

They show passengers what to do in an emergency situation.

Procedures include how to inflate a life vest and exit the plane.

In one shot two models are seen gazing at themselves in a mirror after putting on oxygen masks.

The four-minute video, uploaded to YouTube in February, has have been viewed more than 5.4 million times.

Air New Zealand insisting the removal of a video was a scheduled change.

A spokeswoman said: "We typically change out our safety videos every few months.

"As scheduled we began the process of phasing in the Bear Essentials of Safety video featuring Bear Grylls on our fleet around a week ago and this process is almost complete."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/28224422

This can't be good http://www.wearecentralpa.com/story/...rEmJYcLjEpIV2A

A Malaysian passenger airliner crashed in Ukraine near the Russian border, according to a Ukrainian official.

An adviser to Ukraine's Interior Minister says a Malaysian passenger plane carrying 295 people has been shot down over a town in the east of the country. Anton Gerashenko says on his Facebook page the plane was flying at an altitude of 33,000 feet when it was hit Thursday by a missile fired from a Buk launcher.
    President Petro Poroshenko denied that Ukraine had any involvement in the plane crash.

CBS News has not confirmed that the plane was shot down.

Malaysia Airlines said on its Twitter feed that it "has lost contact of MH17 from Amsterdam. The last known position was over Ukrainian airspace. More details to follow."

A source told Interfax that the Boeing 777 was flying from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur.

A spokesman for Ukraine's Security Council said earlier on Thursday that an Air Force fighter jet had been struck and shot down by a missile fired from a Russian plane. Spokesman Andrei Lysenko said in a televised briefing that the pilot of the Sukhoi-25 jet was forced to bail from his craft after it was shot down Wednesday evening.

Rebels in conflict-wracked eastern Ukraine immediately claimed responsibility for downing the Antonov AN-26, but Ukrainian Defense Minister Valeriy Heletey said the rocket might have been fired from inside Russia.

Heletey said the plane was flying at an altitude of 21,300 feet, which he said was too high to be reached with the weapons used by the separatists fighting government troops.

According to the Interfax reports, MH17 was hit at close to normal cruising altitude for a passenger jet, around 30,000 feet. No shoulder-fired missile is capable of effectively targeting an aircraft at that altitude, lending credence to the reports that it might have been a military air defense type missile like the self-guided Buk system cited by the Russian news agency.

The NTSB, FAA and Boeing are all aware of the reports of the crashed Malaysian Airlines plane - they're still in the process of gathering information and don't have anything more to add at this time.

NTSB says that if this is a Boeing 777 plane, they would have stake in the investigation.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1456682/ma...raine-reports/

More details on Malaysian Airline plane shot down in the Ukraine.

Word it is on the airline as the FAA warned all airlines to not fly over Crimea.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Word it is on the airline as the FAA warned all airlines to not fly over Crimea.

Yeah, dumb ass Malayasians.

The story of Arturo the Polar Bear and his terrible living conditions.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1456312/pe...t-can-he-come/

Here is the online petition if anyone is interested. People are trying to bring him to Winnipeg.

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petition...-zoo-in-canada

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post

Foreign airlines aren't going to give a rip what the FAA says. Though they all should be smart enough to avoid that area. (However, if they avoided every area in the world where there is fighting, there'd be few planes in that part of the world.)

This is the third airplane to be shot down in that area over the past week, however I think those two combined for a handful of deaths. This plane going down actually makes it 'newsworthy.'

Yeah, plus it's another Malaysian Airline crash. They aren't having a good year.

Man that's alot of people...295

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Foreign airlines aren't going to give a rip what the FAA says. Though they all should be smart enough to avoid that area. (However, if they avoided every area in the world where there is fighting, there'd be few planes in that part of the world.)

This is the third airplane to be shot down in that area over the past week, however I think those two combined for a handful of deaths. This plane going down actually makes it 'newsworthy.'
    Maybe they should if their route is going over a volatile terrorist hotbed.
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
    I saw that on FB. Sad.

Breaking: Robin Williams dead at age 63.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk because I'm a lazy ass

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Breaking: Robin Williams dead at age 63.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk because I'm a lazy ass
    Just heard. This is so very sad. The world today lost a very brilliant comedian and a very loving father. Depression is a very serious topic and WE as a society need to better understand how it works and what can be done to identify the symptoms and help those in need.

no not robin williams so many great films I grew up with. Just what? ..

Why god ?

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Just heard. This is so very sad. The world today lost a very brilliant comedian and a very loving father. Depression is a very serious topic and WE as a society need to better understand how it works and what can be done to identify the symptoms and help those in need.
    Our society is so quick to judge brain issues. We go to doctors when we have issues with our heart or limbs or stomach yet if someone has a brain issue, we just call them crazy. People just don't understand how sensitive the brain is to chemical imbalances and too much or too little of a chemical can cause people to not be themselves.