Thread: Report: G4 As We Know It Is As Good As Gone.

• Facebook
  • Display

Report: G4 As We Know It Is As Good As Gone.

According to a report on Variety, G4 - one of the only TV stations in the world with a "geek" mandate - will be "rebranded" early next year, resulting in a change of focus and possibly a change of name as well.

In other words, it'll be an almost entirely new/different channel.

NBCU, the station's owners, are reportedly looking at turning it into a TV version of GQ, ditching the nerd focus in favour of something more "modern male".

Beginning in 2002 as a purely video game-oriented channel, G4 slowly evolved into a more general "young male tech/geek/game" site, with its most popular shows at the moment being Attack of the Show! - which in recent years lost both its popular hosts, Kevin Pereira and Olivia Munn - and American Ninja Warrior.

There's no details on just what a "modern male" rebranding would entail, but I'd bet you could expect a lot more coverage of micro-breweries, indie bands, expensive loafers and designer laptop bags.

http://kotaku.com/5941222/report-g4-...ium=socialflow

Probably turning into a Spike TV wannabe.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    That channel hasn't been worth a fuck since it was called TechTV. Fuck G4, I'm glad it's dying. Idiots.

It's for the best. They have no one to blame but themselves. They used to have good shows about games and I watched all of them but, for some reason, they started showing Cops and Cheaters and I lost all interest in the channel. Spike had better game coverage (outside of E3). Whomever thought taking off all the gaming and tech shows off and replacing them with Cops and Cheaters is an idiot.

Thank God for the internet.

G4 had some great gaming shows a LONG time ago.

Yeah the channel lost its way a LONG time ago.

I agree with mors, JB and CLW.

What the hell?
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Probably turning into a Spike TV wannabe.
    Spike at least shows some gaming with E3, GTTV, etc. That would be an improvement for G4 at this stage. As already stated, G4 has been in the can for a long time. This is just declaring the corpse dead.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Spike at least shows some gaming with E3, GTTV, etc. That would be an improvement for G4 at this stage. As already stated, G4 has been in the can for a long time. This is just declaring the corpse dead.
    Well I was just referring to it and Spike in the sense of starting showing stuff like the police shows, reality TV shows, other random ass things, 1000 Ways to Die, Manswers, all those random show Spike airs. That was the future of G4 I saw when I first read Naitch's post and saw them say they're focusing on the modern male.

I know for E3, I have never bothered going anywhere else, on TV or on my laptop, than Spike. They've done a good enough job, showing the various pressers (the only things I care about during E3, couldn't care less for the interviews and demos they do) uninterrupted, that I have no reason to go anywhere else for coverage.