Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Madden 13 Sells 900K Copies on Day One

• Facebook
  • Display

Madden 13 Sells 900K Copies on Day One

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/30/ma...es-on-day-one/

Madden 13 sold 900,000 copies during its first 24 hours of availability, according to EA's internal estimates. This is a 7 percent increase over last year's day-one sales for Madden 12. The game also set the record for the number of day-one users playing a Madden title online, although specific numbers for that figure were not provided, beyond saying that it was a 28 percent increase over Madden 12's day-one online users.

No information was given on how those 900,000 sales are divided up amongst the various systems Madden 13 is available on, but we asked a football-lookin' college kid at our local coffee shop what system he bought it for, and while his response was to push us over and take our lunch money, we think what he meant was "Xbox."

PRESS RELEASE:

Spoiler: show
    Hot Start for Madden NFL 13; Sell-Through, Online Usage, and Strong Critical Acclaim Fuel Record Day One

Sell-Through Up 7% in First 24 Hours for New Record on HD Console Generation

Record Number of Players Competing Online Together on Day One

Biggest Single-Year Rise in Critical Acclaim for an EA SPORTS Game in Four Years

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) announced today a huge first day for Madden NFL 13, which launched Tuesday across North America. Madden NFL 13 scored record day one retail sales, record day one online usage and it's enjoying the best critical acclaim the game has seen in years.

"Madden NFL 13 is the most innovative entry the franchise has ever seen and we're thrilled that fans have embraced it with such a huge first day"
    Based on internal estimates, sell-through for Madden NFL 13 was up 7 percent year-over-year on HD platforms with 900K units sold in its first 24 hours on the market, its best start ever on this console generation. The franchise also set a day one online usage record with a 28 percent jump in peak simultaneous users over last year's first day.

"It was a phenomenal first day for Madden NFL 13, and we have high expectations for this great game to be popular throughout the fall and into the holidays," said Seong Ohm, Walmart SVP of Entertainment. "We're excited that our partnership with EA has helped deliver our customers unique access and content to this great game. There's incredible demand for Madden NFL 13, and it's easy to see why people are loving it."

Critics are praising the game with nine scores of 90 or above, and aggregated reviews of Madden NFL 13 show the biggest single-year jump in critical acclaim for an EA SPORTS™ game in four years*. GamesRadar said the game is "brimming with innovation on and off the field" and IGN.com said "it all adds up to Madden NFL 13 being something truly special."

Not only are fans playing Madden NFL 13, but they're talking about it. Since the launch of Madden NFL 13 for EA SPORTS Season Ticket consumers on August 24th, there have been 665,464 total social interactions on Facebook and Twitter combined, and the game has been mentioned on average every six seconds on Twitter.

"Madden NFL 13 is the most innovative entry the franchise has ever seen and we're thrilled that fans have embraced it with such a huge first day," said Andrew Wilson, Executive Vice President of EA SPORTS. "As we approach the kickoff of the NFL season next week, the football community is whetting their appetites by playing Madden NFL 13 in record numbers. With the combination of the cutting-edge Infinity Engine and new Connected Careers fans are truly getting their football fix with the best Madden NFL game ever."

Madden NFL 13 on Xbox 360® and PlayStation®3 delivers physics you can feel on every play, and will connect you to the NFL and other fans like never before. Powered by the all-new Infinity Engine, every impact on the field is more intense; every battle is more authentic; and no two plays will every look or feel the same. With Connected Careers you'll build your legacy as a player or coach within a completely new and fully connected universe, accessible on and off the console. With deep new gameplay innovation, social integration, and an overhaul of the audio and visual presentation, Madden NFL 13 is the biggest game-changer in the history of the franchise.

There you go, EA. Improve the game play and people will buy. Don't improve it and people wont. Like I said weeks ago, the fact they put in the Infinity Engine is the #1 reason why it has done so well in sales so far.

Article: Madden 13 Sells 900K Copies on Day One

The dude abides.

Haha "push us over and take our lunch money" lol

thats alot of people but its interesting how small that number really is. Its a niche in itself.

313 million people in America and not even 1 million..ok its probably 1 million as of now, yet still, interesting

and then you get losers pulling stuff like this

That was probably the card he got out of his free legend pack from Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    There you go, EA. Improve the game play and people will buy. Don't improve it and people wont. Like I said weeks ago, the fact they put in the Infinity Engine is the #1 reason why it has done so well in sales so far.
    Or (if you are of my opinion) successfully hype up something as an improvement to game play but really isn't and people will buy. IMHO the infinity engine is just too buggy and doesn't really affect game play in any significant way.

That,s $54,000,000 in one day.....

Yeah, lets see what those numbers look like after a week or two when everyone realizes that Infinity Engine is not as great as it was sold as, and CCM is nothing but a stripped down shell of franchise mode.

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    thats alot of people but its interesting how small that number really is. Its a niche in itself.

313 million people in America and not even 1 million..ok its probably 1 million as of now, yet still, interesting
    313 million people in America, a large percentage of which don't even play video games or even own game consoles. Then of those who do on consoles and play games, have no interest or desire to play sports video games. Then of those who play sports games, have no interest or desire to play or buy football video games.

Modern Warfare 3, which it and the rest of the COD games are WAAAAAAAY higher up the video game food chain than Madden, sold 6.5 million units in the first 24 hours (out of the 313 million people in America). Halo Reach, another game of an extremely popular series, sold only 3 million units in the first 24 hours.

I personally think the IE engine add quite a bit to the gameplay. I could care less about what the players do after the play. Are there bugs? Yes. Do the good things that it has added outweigh the bugs? Yes IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    and then you get losers pulling stuff like this

.... but look, its free shipping!

free shipping

LOL

Freshman
    If it wasn't for the hurricane in the south, they probably would have sold more then a million copies the 1st day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson View Post
    If it wasn't for the hurricane in the south, they probably would have sold more then a million copies the 1st day.
    Oh, it was only a Category 1. It was nothing but a little wind and rain.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    This is the school I work at.

Edit: More pics

Last edited by souljahbill; 08-30-2012 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    there's at least 4-5 feet of water in some places. my dad, who drives a semi truck, was looking at some picks of various truck stops down there and the water level was right up to the top of some flatbed trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by baseballplyrmvp View Post
    there's at least 4-5 feet of water in some places. my dad, who drives a semi truck, was looking at some picks of various truck stops down there and the water level was right up to the top of some flatbed trailers.
    Like this?

(Pic is from the town the school where I teach is at)

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    Like this?

(Pic is from the town the school where I teach is at)
    Soulja, I hope that you and your friends, family, and students are all okay. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your town and school.

Come on guys. Obviously I was being sarcastic and facetious when I said that.