Thread: 7th round draft pick

• Facebook
  • Display

7th round draft pick

A buddy and I started our online dynasty and are going into the fourth season. We started with 2 star teams, in our 3 years we each have finished in the top 25. My RB won the Heisman his jr year. He came back his sr year, I decided to do a spit back because I had a fr I liked better. After the season was over both running backs had a ok season, but my sr QB had a great season finished his two year carer with 58 tds and 20 ints. and second best in the ncaa pass percentage. We get to the draft and my Heisman rb does not get drated. Neither does my qb, Yet my LT who was not even a all-american gets drafted in the 7th round.

What school are you?

Toledo Rockets

Punter, what ratings does each player have? My assumption is that the game is basing draft status on overall ratings, rather than overall performance each year.

I've noticed that smaller schools dont put as many high round picks in the draft, regardless of rating or stats.

Well, if a man wins the Heisman he should be drafted about 99% of the time. Now, I realize Charlie Ward went un-drafted, but I think a small reason for that was because he couldn't decide what sport he wanted to play. I guess it would also depend on a few other things. With EA's logic, there is no telling what determines who gets drafted in their draft results portion of the off-season.

I can't recall there exact rating, but my QB was between a 88 and 92 and the running back was in the high 80s.

I realize you said "drafted" and not "highly drafted", but:
    Troy Smith, 5th round
    Jason White, undrafted
    Chris Weinke, 4th round
    Charlie Ward, undrafted (by choice if memory serves)
    Gino Toretta, 7th round

Now a Heisman winning RB, IMO, is much more reliable than a Heisman winning QB, so I'd be surprised to see them go undrafted in real life. But you also said that you split carries for the HB in his senior year ... I wonder if that has a significant influence on the draft position? Maybe it's not rating, but stats in Senior year?
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    I realize you said "drafted" and not "highly drafted", but:
    Troy Smith, 5th round
    Jason White, undrafted
    Chris Weinke, 4th round
    Charlie Ward, undrafted (by choice if memory serves)
    Gino Toretta, 7th round

Now a Heisman winning RB, IMO, is much more reliable than a Heisman winning QB, so I'd be surprised to see them go undrafted in real life. But you also said that you split carries for the HB in his senior year ... I wonder if that has a significant influence on the draft position? Maybe it's not rating, but stats in Senior year?
    I could see that being a possibility. You always hear about juniors debating declaring for the draft after having a career season, trying to take advantage of hype surrounding them while they can. You always hear stories of players have career years as sophomores or juniors, then completely bombing their junior or senior years and sinking like a rock in the draft.

If you're winning the Heisman, at Toledo, with a back rated in the 80s - you may want to adjust the difficulty of your sliders.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    If you're winning the Heisman, at Toledo, with a back rated in the 80s - you may want to adjust the difficulty of your sliders.

Remember who his competition is. The MAC isn't exactly known as SEC Jr.

No the sliders are fine but thank you for the concern, we decided we where not gonna start with the best football teams in the game, I'm pretty sure if you where to get hired as a first time head coach in the NCAA it wouldn't be on a top notch team. That we would play with small schools for our first contract, and that no conferences will be switched. Just so happens that the MAC conference is fairly easy to play in. Once our contract is up its our choice to either stay or take another job offering.
    As for the draft I thank the split back decision had a lot to do with it, his YPC where down from his JR year, plus half the carries and very few TDs.
    I just figured winning the Heisman would be a auto draft pick.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    Remember who his competition is. The MAC isn't exactly known as SEC Jr.
    Understood.

But, in real life, do backs win the Heisman in the MAC (a back who significantly split carries, no less)? No.

At the end of the day, IMO, this is about getting ridiculous numbers with a mediocre back. I play with bad teams, who have meh players, in meh conferences all the time and I don't win Heismans because I end up with stats that are in line with what the player might really do. For example, last year, I played with Akron and ULL.

If your numbers don't look similar to what the player may really do, your sliders are too easy for your skill set. If you generate unrealistic results, it's tough to ask the logic to handle it realistically.

All of that said, I agree with Jeff on this. The draft logic is likely ratings driven, and it should be. Great college players (statistically) are often not fit for the NFL and either do not go in the draft, or are late picks. If the player in question was an 85 OVR and there were 15 backs rated higher than him, why would he be drafted? Because I "usered" him to 2000 yards? He's still not one of the best backs, from a skill standpoint, in his class.

Understood.

But, in real life, do backs win the Heisman in the MAC (a back who significantly split carries, no less)? No.

At the end of the day, IMO, this is about getting ridiculous numbers with a mediocre back. I play with bad teams, who have meh players, in meh conferences all the time and I don't win Heismans because I end up with stats that are in line with what the player might really do. For example, last year, I played with Akron and ULL.

If your numbers don't look similar to what the player may really do, your sliders are too easy for your skill set. If you generate unrealistic results, it's tough to ask the logic to handle it realistically.

All of that said, I agree with Jeff on this. The draft logic is likely ratings driven, and it should be. Great college players (statistically) are often not fit for the NFL and either do not go in the draft, or are late picks. If the player in question was an 85 OVR and there were 15 backs rated higher than him, why would he be drafted? Because I "usered" him to 2000 yards? He's still not one of the best backs, from a skill standpoint, in his class.

A MAC back COULD win it like Randy Moss, Marshall Faulk, and Steve McNair COULD have won back in the day but obviously, bigger fish from bigger aquariums ultimately won out instead. It's not out of the realm of possibility but that MAC school better be getting mad tv exposure and that back better be putting up Barry Sanders "Reaction Time" numbers.

A MAC back COULD win it like Randy Moss, Marshall Faulk, and Steve McNair COULD have won back in the day but obviously, bigger fish from bigger aquariums ultimately won out instead. It's not out of the realm of possibility but that MAC school better be getting mad tv exposure and that back better be putting up Barry Sanders "Reaction Time" numbers.
    True. I never said they were not eligible. However, for me, if I win the Heisman with a player in the MAC, he'd better be a 95+ OVR or I'm questioning the difficulty I play on.

This is why I said he should have been drafted, because he HAD to have been putting up Barry sanders "reaction time" numbers to have won the Heisman in the MAC!