Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dr Death's Heisman Sliders

• Facebook
  • Display
    Thanks to these sliders (and an anemic offense), I almost lost as Florida State to Ohio.

You can decide for yourself it this is an endorsement message or not
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Thanks to these sliders (and an anemic offense), I almost lost as Florida State to Ohio.

You can decide for yourself it this is an endorsement message or not
    I have to place the blame on the guy running !!! I've been getting decent games - the numbers look really good - it's the horseshit way that EA has fucked this game up that's the problem. But right now, as I am 4-5 and got murdered by 51-26. Thanks to EA and their lack of any Quality Control, many teams are only playing 11 games, including me, so even if I win out and go 6-5, doubtful I'll be bowling this year. Fucking EA...

I have to place the blame on the guy running FSU
    Agreed. Operator error.

Played two more dynasty games last night with these and mostly happy with them. I have some slight tweaks IIRC. Friggin' CPU sure loves to run the draws and screens though!
    Still undefeated in my Michigan dynasty but some teams have given me some trouble, especially when I gift them turnovers. Argggh.

I wasn't trying to imply it was an issue with the sliders. I more meant that these sliders gave me one of the most competitive CPU games I've seen in years.

Though, to be fair, there are a lot of BCS teams that Ohio is (somehow) rated higher (at least on defense) than -- including WVU, Cal and Pitt.

Still operator error though

So are ya'll liking these sliders?

Here's my problem I like to take over the D level teams and hopefully build them up. I also like to have a "realistic feel" to the game. Being that I take over a D team I completely understand I might lose all of my games.

The problem is HOW I'm losing. I took over WKU using ILiveForThis and authentic's Simulation Silider Project from OS. I must say that using these sliders in my offline dynast with A&M the game feels good, very realistic. However that's A&M.

My buddy and I started an OD using D teams he picked UTSA and I took WKU. He lost 70-21 against Alabama in week 1. I had a bye. Week 2 I took on Alabama and lost 51-3. Which seems ok as bama is number 1 and I shouldn't really have a shot. However, the problem is I had 9 drops (with gameplan catching set to conservative) and my QB couldn't hit the side of a barn if he needed to. But I chalked it up to playing at bama.

Week 3 I take on UK, they get up 35-0 in the 1st quarter. Again just starting the 2nd quarter I had 7 drops already and 11 in-completions all to wide open WRs.

Do people that make these super hard sliders only use A-A+ teams?

Do these sliders, Dr. Death's Sliders work for lower ranked teams? The problem seems to be for me and my buddy, if we leave the game on the default settings we will win more than we should, but if we use these super hard sliders we can't even get a 1st down. There should be something more in the middle, no?

GigEm, based on what I've seen, these sliders are not going to scale that well. It seems that CPU teams are more competitive than their ratings might suggest, and if that's the case, then you're really going to struggle against top rated teams.

There should be sliders that are more in the middle between the defaults and Dr. Death's sliders. I'm sure they're out there somewhere.

GigEm, based on what I've seen, these sliders are not going to scale that well. It seems that CPU teams are more competitive than their ratings might suggest, and if that's the case, then you're really going to struggle against top rated teams.

There should be sliders that are more in the middle between the defaults and Dr. Death's sliders. I'm sure they're out there somewhere.
    Ok, thanks I'll keep looking. Sometimes I think some of these sliders are for people that get bored playing the CPU while using top level teams. For me using a D team with these sliders against A-A+ teams is alittle on the crazy side. I don't mind getting beat by the CPU but not being able to get a 1st down is a bit much. Have to go 3 and out b/c your QB throws the ball out of bounds on an out route, or the TE tries to catch a 5 yard hitch with his face-mask is a bit rough. If it happened sometimes I'd be cool with it, but repeated 3 and outs b/c of this is too much.

Quote Originally Posted by gigemaggs99 View Post
    Ok, thanks I'll keep looking. Sometimes I think some of these sliders are for people that get bored playing the CPU while using top level teams. For me using a D team with these sliders against A-A+ teams is alittle on the crazy side. I don't mind getting beat by the CPU but not being able to get a 1st down is a bit much. Have to go 3 and out b/c your QB throws the ball out of bounds on an out route, or the TE tries to catch a 5 yard hitch with his face-mask is a bit rough. If it happened sometimes I'd be cool with it, but repeated 3 and outs b/c of this is too much.
    Here's my experience w/ these sliders playing as in 1+ season's... My first year I started 1-5. All 5 losses were to team's ranked in the Top 25. Actually, they were ranked 21 or higher. Then I finished w/ 5 straight wins to end up 6-5 - yes, that damn 11 game schedule crap is back in the game - and I made The Insight Bowl and beat un-ranked , who were 7-4.

Playing season two now and lost in week one at by 10, and finally beat a "ranked" team when I beat . How was # 17 in the country is beyond me, considering they were rated as a C team - C+ offense, C- defense, but they were.

As far as passes hitting guys in the facemask, I've had it happen too. I doubt any slider can fix this, it's a glitch and one that was in last year's game. But I do throw a LOT of quick, short passes and only average between 2-4 drops per game. The problem I have experienced is the drops happen on crucial downs when I really need a first down.

Overall though, these sliders have given ME good to great games even w/ all the inherent flaws in the game. Just my experience though.

Quote Originally Posted by gigemaggs99 View Post
    Week 3 I take on UK, they get up 35-0 in the 1st quarter. Again just starting the 2nd quarter I had 7 drops already and 11 in-completions all to wide open WRs.
    GigEm, what you're describing here may not be just these sliders, but there may be something more afoot here. We use these sliders (AFAIK without modification) in the Powerhouse dynasty for this forum. And we're seeing a variability in the QB performance that we just cannot explain.

For example, earlier today I was 9/10 in the first half, and 4/9 in the second. My opponent described it as "like his accuracy dropped my 10-15 points at half". In a second game tonight, using effectively the same offense, I was 9/18 in the first half and 6/8 in the second. As you described, the misses are overthrows, underthrows, and screw-ups with leading otherwise wide-open receivers. And even sometimes when I'm "hot" and I'm hitting the target, it's because the WR stops dead in his route when I throw (which a real WR would never do except on a curl/comeback), so my pass is on target. I can't explain these results.

Perhaps higher QB Accuracy sliders would give us more consistency (possibly because every throw is coming up "accurate"), but I have a hard time believing that sliders have that much of an effect on repeatability. I have a good idea of how sliders work with the ratings, and how those ratings are used to calculate the outcome of events (like whether or not a ball is on target), so I know that lower Accuracy sliders will result in more incomplete passes. But completion percentages fluctuating from 50% to 75%, or 90% to 44%, between halves doesn't fall in line with my understanding of sliders and ratings.

If I had to guess, I imagine that the game has some kind of "base accuracy" that is modified at certain points in the game. Kind of like a hot/cold streak or Dynamic Player Performance idea. Because it really does "seem" like THA ratings are changing at halftime.

The bitch of it is that I think these sliders are giving me a better game (granted, I'm playing with a team) than any other set that I've played in the past few years. These sliders make me believe that a major upset is possible. And that's awesome.

But I may have a heart attack first
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 07-22-2012 at 12:48 AM.

GigEm, what you're describing here may not be just these sliders, but there may be something more afoot here. We use these sliders (AFAIK without modification) in the Powerhouse dynasty for this forum. And we're seeing a variability in the QB performance that we just cannot explain.

For example, earlier today I was 9/10 in the first half, and 4/9 in the second. My opponent described it as "like his accuracy dropped my 10-15 points at half". In a second game tonight, using effectively the same offense, I was 9/18 in the first half and 6/8 in the second. As you described, the misses are overthrows, underthrows, and screw-ups with leading otherwise wide-open receivers. And even sometimes when I'm "hot" and I'm hitting the target, it's because the WR stops dead in his route when I throw (which a real WR would never do except on a curl/comeback), so my pass is on target. I can't explain these results.

Perhaps higher QB Accuracy sliders would give us more consistency (possibly because every throw is coming up "accurate"), but I have a hard time believing that sliders have that much of an effect on repeatability. I have a good idea of how sliders work with the ratings, and how those ratings are used to calculate the outcome of events (like whether or not a ball is on target), so I know that lower Accuracy sliders will result in more incomplete passes. But completion percentages fluctuating from 50% to 75%, or 90% to 44%, between halves doesn't fall in line with my understanding of sliders and ratings.

If I had to guess, I imagine that the game has some kind of "base accuracy" that is modified at certain points in the game. Kind of like a hot/cold streak or Dynamic Player Performance idea. Because it really does "seem" like THA ratings are changing at halftime.

The bitch of it is that I think these sliders are giving me a better game (granted, I'm playing with a team) than any other set that I've played in the past few years. These sliders make me believe that a major upset is possible. And that's awesome.

But I may have a heart attack first
    This is what I want/need to hear. Everyone that knows me knows that I play a totally different way than anyone else on the planet. You think Mike Leach throws a lot? He ain't got nothing on me! But... I've never had a "good" half and a "bad" half. I had one game where my QB was 20 for his first 20, and ended up 51 of 60. Pretty difficult to complain about that.

However - and this is the key - I throw a TON of quick, short passes. Once in a while - maybe 3 times a game - I'll hit a deep route, but that's because I'll see my third or fourth read and he's running open thanks to the shitty CPU Zone coverage. Most times I won't even throw the pass just to TRY and keep things real.

I throw the fuck out of the ball, and occasionally I will see errant passes that just make no sense. But now, in year two at I am starting a true freshman who came in w/ 85 accuracy and 80 overall. He's up to 81 overall and he's hitting 77% of his passes through 6 games. But again, my offense requires quick reads, quick decision making and quick throws.

I do appreciate the feedback though.

Dr. Death, you don't have the ability to record your games, do you? I'd love to actually watch a few of your games.

Death, I will readily admit that you're going to be better at the passing game than I am. But, for what it's worth, the throws I'm talking about missing are not 30 yard post routes, though I do occasionally miss those (and I'm okay with that). What gets me is when suddenly I can't hit a 12 yard dig or slant route over the middle. It's very strange.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    Dr. Death, you don't have the ability to record your games, do you? I'd love to actually watch a few of your games.
    No, I don't. I know some people that can and have, but I don't have the ability to do so.

Death, I will readily admit that you're going to be better at the passing game than I am. But, for what it's worth, the throws I'm talking about missing are not 30 yard post routes, though I do occasionally miss those (and I'm okay with that). What gets me is when suddenly I can't hit a 12 yard dig or slant route over the middle. It's very strange.
    Same thing happens to me, Jeff. I'll have two or three in a row that - for no reason at all - the ball will sail, go behind the guy, go low, I mean I'm not throwing it w/ massive lead or anything, the ball just takes off like it has a mind of its own. I think the reason I don't see it as being a huge problem is because during a game I throw so much that three or four "off" passes just don't matter as much as when you're only throwing 25 times.

That's true, though the way the sliders have been playing for me lately, I'd probably throw 20/25 in the first half and 10/25 in the second

Just completed a complete dynasty season with these. For the most part, they played pretty well. Won the NC title, had the best rush defense in the land, had a Top10 overall defense, but gave up a lot of passing yards. Defense led the land in sacks with 72 (!!!!!). Didn't have an 1000 yard rusher, but had one guy near 800 yards and another over 600 yards, plus a QB over 400 yards IIRC as the 3 leading rushers. Averaged 36-37 points per game.
    Had some close games and had some blow-outs.
    Other than read-options and a few speed options, most option was worthless to run as the defense would blow up the blocking before even getting to the defense's option man.

Observations/feels:
    CPU running game was not balanced, i.e. defenders couldn't get off blocks, so I was having to blitz nearly every play just to stop the running game as well as VERY RARELY play zone, as draws and any running play would be an easy 10yard gain.

Human pass coverage was non-existent, zones were worthless (game problem that EA is supposedly working on for patch2). Had to play man large majority of the time. So move human and CPU pass coverage up as completing 3rd and longs was way too easy.

The CPU offense was not consistent enough in picking up small-to-medium rushing gains.....it was a stuffed run or a 10 yarder. CPU rushing needs to be adjusted to have more power, but counter-balanced by upping human run defense so they aren't stuck on blocks so long so there are more 2-6 yard gains instead of all or nothing, so I would move CPU run block up by 5 I think and leave CPU RBA where it is and then take human rush D up to 20 or 25 so they read better.

CPU pass coverage needs to be tightened up some. They played soft on a lot of hooks.

Human pass rush needs to decreased slightly. 72 sacks is well.....a lot....more than 5 per game.

CPU pass block needs to move up by 5, although I might end up putting it back to where it was as interior line should get some push up the middle.

CPU rush defense needs to decreased slightly as they much too quickly read and reacted, plus the FB "blocking" is atrocious in this game.

CPU tackling needs to be dropped by maybe 5 as there were VERY few human broken tackles.

I've leave CPU QBA where it is and move WR catching up by 5.

These observations are based on this info of slider use and what I noticed from game flow and stats:
    http://www.operationsports.com/forum...o-summary.html

These are the sliders I'm going to try out for the next dynasty season:
    qba 10/10
    pb 45/40
    wrc 45/45
    rba 50/40
    rb 55/45
    passcov 60/40
    passrush 20/25
    int 40/30
    rushd 25/10
    tkl 35/30
    fgp 35/40
    fga 40/35
    punt 50/50
    punta 40/40
    kickoff 40/40
    Last edited by AustinWolv; 07-25-2012 at 10:30 AM.

Thanks Austin, great report. Unfortunately many of the problems are things that I feel can't be corrected by sliders, though I am certainly open to trying anything new. Basically my feeling is this: A broken game is a broken game and no sliders are going to mend a broken game.

As far as rushing for HUMAN you probably realize that I throw nearly every down, and when/if I do run, it's out of 4-wide, which opens the field. I haven't had the problems that Jeff Cross has had w/ inconsistent QB accuracy from one half to another. In my second year of my dynasty and starting a true Freshman QB who came in as an 80 overall w/ 85 accuracy - and yes, Steelerfan, I am using Heisman recruiting - and in his first season he is currently hitting 77% of his passes, though, as I have said many times prior, I throw a ton of quick, short passes.

I am perfectly happy w/ a 3 yard completion, then a 4 yard completion, setting me up for a third and short yardage situation. While I have hit some big gains... 89 yards, 86 yards, and numerous others, most of my passes are short and I try like hell to avoid the Zone defense cluster-fuck that is in the game by not exploiting it. That 86 yard gain was a 3-yard crossing route that went the distance thanks to a great block by one of my WR's.

Please let us know how the tweaked sliders play out for you.

I see some correlation of mine with the Ver4 set that this thread shows, although I don't fully agree with all his numbers: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...d-sliders.html

Can't really agree that 90 threshold and very slow game speed is that good, but guess I shouldn't knock it until I try it, eh?

I might try my tweaks for about 5 games or so and then flip over to try those for a bit.
    Last edited by AustinWolv; 07-25-2012 at 01:54 PM.