Thread: QB pitching the ball on the option?

• Facebook
  • Display

QB pitching the ball on the option?

I'm running this play over and over on the practice field and I cannot get the QB to be consistent.

The play is in WV Air Raid PB Empty Spread Motion HB Option.

I'm pressing the L1 button to pitch the ball. The in-game manual says to fake the pitch you press the r-stick down. Well when I run w/ the QB on the option I've tried pressing and holding L1, also tried tapping it quickly, or just pressing it normally and releasing it. I'd say out of 10 times running this play the QB will pitch is 3 times. 5 times fakes the pitch, the other two times he'll hold the ball out like he's faking the pitch but leaves the ball out like a basketball player palming the ball.

Why if I press the L1 pitch button does he NOT just pitch the ball?

I am not pressing spring or any other buttons other than the left-stick to move him. The HB is always behind the QB so it should be a legal pitch, the QB just won't pitch it.

EDIT. After some more practice I see if I hike the ball and press the L1 immediately he will pitch the ball. The problem is I haven't even come close to the defender to make him pick me or the HB, in pitching it so early it defeats the purpose.
    Last edited by gigemaggs99; 07-31-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Don't know what to tell you, GigEm. I just ran it 15 times in practice and was able to pitch it 12 out of 15 plays, with the remaining three being two "palming the ball animations" (which I think are animations that are supposed to pitch the ball but then get stuck in a tackle animation) and one where I was tackled right after trying to pitch.

Unfortunately, I did also get one where the pitch was ruled an incompletion, which reminded me that I am not going to run the Option in this game.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by gigemaggs99 View Post
    I'm running this play over and over on the practice field and I cannot get the QB to be consistent.

The play is in WV Air Raid PB Empty Spread Motion HB Option.

I'm pressing the L1 button to pitch the ball. The in-game manual says to fake the pitch you press the r-stick down. Well when I run w/ the QB on the option I've tried pressing and holding L1, also tried tapping it quickly, or just pressing it normally and releasing it. I'd say out of 10 times running this play the QB will pitch is 3 times. 5 times fakes the pitch, the other two times he'll hold the ball out like he's faking the pitch but leaves the ball out like a basketball player palming the ball.

Why if I press the L1 pitch button does he NOT just pitch the ball?

I am not pressing spring or any other buttons other than the left-stick to move him. The HB is always behind the QB so it should be a legal pitch, the QB just won't pitch it.

EDIT. After some more practice I see if I hike the ball and press the L1 immediately he will pitch the ball. The problem is I haven't even come close to the defender to make him pick me or the HB, in pitching it so early it defeats the purpose.
    It's not just that play. It'll happen occasionally on any option play.

It's frustrating. The option is a fundamental play in college football history, but it's been a slow work in progress on this game over the years.

Depending on whether the cpu is in zone or man is huge in this game. Playing against Tulane they were agressive, sitting in zone waiting for me and I got nothing on the option plays. Versus Tulsa, they were in man and my QB ran for over 100 yards. As to the cpu running the option... just awful... again.