Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Air Raid - Everything You Need To Know

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Death View Post
    Just something for anyone running the Air Raid to consider... in the article posted on page one of this thread, if you read all of it, you will find out that Leach/Mumme never "flipped" plays. Their reasoning - WR's would then have to learn two routes instead of just one. So... if you want to run the Air Raid and stay true to it - try running it w/ out flipping any plays. Gets a little more difficult than you might think...
    I have a system for how I call my Air Raid to stay true to the way Leach called, without flipping plays. Leach moved around the H and Z receivers to get his formations, X and Y were set. His base set was what NCAA 13 calls Shotgun - Spread Flex (& WK):

Code:
    X         T G C G T    Y
         H                      Z
                  Q F
    When he wanted to create a 1x3 look, he would move H over for what NCAA 13 calls Shotgun 4WR Trey (& Str):

Code:
    X         T G C G T    Y
                              H  Z
                  Q F
    When he wanted to go 3x1, he moved Z over to the left for what NCAA 13 calls Shotgun Trips Open (& Str):

Code:
    X         T G C G T    Y
       H  Z                       
                  Q F
    When he went split backs with 1x2 receivers, he just slotted H into the backfield (Closest interpretation in NCAA 13 is Shotgun Split Offset or Shotgun Split Y-Flex:

HTML Code:
    X         T G C G T    Y
                                Z  
                H Q F
    With split backs and a 2x1 receiver set, H would again be in the backfield, and he would move Z across to the left. In NCAA 13, there is no such formation without flipping. However, if you flip Shotgun Split Slot you can create this look, so anytime I call a play from Shotgun Split Slot I flip it:

Code:
    X         T G C G T    Y
         Z                       
                H Q F
    To add to the last formation, in the Washington State spring game he has added a pistol look that utilizes two backs. The only two Pistol formations in NCAA 13 that would work, Strong Slot and Weak Slot. I don't have Weak Slot, because it just doesn't have enough Air Raid concepts for me. Strong Slot I do have, and to get that 2x1 look I will flip that formation when I call plays from it.

He also never went 5-wide, so I don't.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 08-14-2012 at 04:33 AM.

Great thread. This need to be fired up!!!! I am studying this offense as we speak!

Yes sir, you are correct. I was a GA at Morehead State University back in 1984-86, and we ran the BYU Offense. For us the STICK concept was what we called "Y OPTION", a play everybody was running back then. Now we sent the TE's route at 8-10, a deeper STICK Concept. Some other little differences but the guys using the pure AIR RAID Philosophy are getting their base from the old Lavell Edwards and Norm Chow playbooks of the 80's. A bunch to pick from and that is exactly what the AIR RAID guys are doing today, they are taking what they like and believe in and leaving the rest behind. I like the idea of running fewer concepts but doing them from a multitude of sets. Guys believe today that you DON'T need 125 plays in your system, and they are cutting down quite a bit. Makes sense because obviously you will get better because of the time frame you have to deal with. The idea of "packaging plays", working No Huddle, developing different tempo's offensively, packaging your personnel proficiently to get positive advantages, all of this along with "window dressing" in form of motion and multiple formations is the way we see offensive football being utilized today. We are getting more reps because we are not running a 100 plays, and everything is simplified because with the use of tags to our play calling we have added a bridge that leads us to some very subtle changes to all of the concepts we are utilizing.

Throw in a very simple but yet effective running game and you are good to go. Outside of the option game and zone read, most teams will either run one of these types of run philosophies and still many run both.

GAP SCHEME-

A. POWER O
    B. COUNTER

ZONE SCHEME

INSIDE ZONE OR (some refer to it as TIGHT ZONE or BELLY)
    OUTSIDE ONE OR 9 some refer to as STRETCH or WIDE ZONE)

What is the different between how Tony Franklin and Mike Leach run the raid? Tempo? Different plays?

Well, for one thing BYU did a lot from under center with the DRAW being pretty much the base run. They ran a lot of a what I would call a Pro Style Split backs with their alignment much wider so that the backs can get into their routes to control underneath coverage as opposed to Bill Yeoman's Split backs with alignments for the backs that placed them outside leg of the offensive guards so that they could begin the path needed for the Veer.

Johntom2000, Tempo is without a doubt one of the differences as well as the No Huddle Concept, the method of calling the plays, etc...Timing issues had to be addressed for the passing game because of Shotgun as opposed to under center, and all of this involved an in depth attention to detail. This is another reason why so many coaches have opted to cut back on the number of concepts and opted the philosophy of being simple but at the same time looking complicated.

Think of that 1984 playbook as a Shoney's breakfast bar with all the plays and concepts representing the all the different foods for the breakfast buffet. The Coaches of today wanting to explore the Air Raid are the customers who have ordered the buffet. They may choose anything they desire and are not required to take everything, and that is exactly what they are doing to convey their spin on the Air Raid. Some people like bacon and can do without sausage, Dana Holgorsen decided to build the Mountaineer offense and leave MESH back at the buffet bar like the guy did when he chose bacon instead of sausage. Coach is not saying MESH is a bad play at all, he just feels that the concept requires much more attention that would take away from his version and emphasis he needs to place on the things that make up his philosophy of the said offense.

Another area that might be different compared to what was done back at the buffet bar, I mean the BYU Playbook lol, is the emphasis and style of running game employed. Again, and this can be said with other offensive theories, coaches can pick and choose while leaving behind excess grease. The Zone Scheme which includes both "TIGHT" and "WIDE" is approach taken by some coaches in combination with the Raid pass game, and with the Shotgun and all the little nuances that go with meeting the landmarks for both concepts, these are also things that are a little different from the 1984 menu and playbook.

Another example of all of this concerning today's version of the Air Raid and the 1984 Edwards and Chow version of the BYU Playbook, would be the approach that our community takes when developing a "Custom Playbook" with both madden and ncaa.

When doing the Custom Playbook thing, the "buffet is always open"!

irish

Love the comparison! It made me hungry! Lol!!! Thanks so much! My custom play is based on what I been reading about a local Kentuckian Tony Franklin. Fast 1000 mph play calling with the read option mixed in. I based my custom out of California playbook and been studying the offense minds of Lench, Mummue, and Franklin. You still work out of Grundy, Va?

I would also like to add that with the BYU offense Chow had developed his own interpretations concerning specific reads for each concept that the QB used each time he called one of the many pass concepts available from their playbook. Tony Franklin offered a different approach that emphasized something that could be used at the high school level, and this was throw to open grass. This idea like a stated was intended for the high school QB to make his reads a little more easier to consume. The idea has been elevated to the next level as we speak. This concept is still yet another difference from the Raid today, as well as its birth place with the BYU Playbook engineered by Chow and Edwards.

Quote Originally Posted by irishfbfan1 View Post
    I would also like to add that with the BYU offense Chow had developed his own interpretations concerning specific reads for each concept that the QB used each time he called one of the many pass concepts available from their playbook. Tony Franklin offered a different approach that emphasized something that could be used at the high school level, and this was throw to open grass. This idea like a stated was intended for the high school QB to make his reads a little more easier to consume. The idea has been elevated to the next level as we speak. This concept is still yet another difference from the Raid today, as well as its birth place with the BYU Playbook engineered by Chow and Edwards.
    Thanks for all the information!

Quote Originally Posted by johntom2000 View Post
    Love the comparison! It made me hungry! Lol!!! Thanks so much! My custom play is based on what I been reading about a local Kentuckian Tony Franklin. Fast 1000 mph play calling with the read option mixed in. I based my custom out of California playbook and been studying the offense minds of Lench, Mummue, and Franklin. You still work out of Grundy, Va?
    You are welcome buddy! No to Grundy, never lived there just one of my accounts. Born and raised in South Charleston, West Virginia. Love Both Marshall and WVU but Notre Dame I started loving at the age of 6. I am Roman Catholic and when you are brought up in that type of background you eat fish on friday during lent, you go to church each and every sunday, and you watch Notre Dame football replays after church each Sunday during the season lol

So good to hear from you, I miss talking football with all you guys so much. The whole "UTOPIA" thing had me dazed and confused but I see all the good people, all the people who give to our community, all the football people who live football strategy came here from there to join two other outstanding names in the NCAA Community with, gschwendt and JeffHCross.

Let me also say you got a great one with oneback, I always read everything my man has to say, and all of you should too. What hell of a job he has done with the playbook site. I know I speak for the whole community when I truly say thank you oneback, not just a guy doing a website for playbooks, but a FOOTBALL GUY doing a site for playbooks! I am here to stay as far as the NCAA Series is concerned, looking forward to talking to every single one of you during strategy sessions, too many members on here i have great respect for to list and I will forget a name which would be unfair. Lets just say its great to be back with all you for NCAA. Please understand I HAVE ALWAYS been active with several of the madden sites BUT the MaddenLab will lways be home for me when talking the Pro Game, and I hope, and I m quite sure that The Gaming Tailgate will be my home for the NCAA SERIES.

Ya, I was wondering where you been. I haven't been to the Lab in a while. I remember you saying you live or work with a account in Grundy. I couldn't remember. As for Madden, I wasn't going to get it but, the way the servers are on NCAA and the defense. I may have to get it. It's good to see you.magain on the forums.

I found this these two sites with loads of info on the air raid offense.

http://www.cougcenter.com/air-raid-o...playbook-links

The link below has all the passing plays in the Air Raid offense. Its a great start for making your air raid playbook. Which I am going to use starting tomorrow.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/24054318/A...nse-Pass-Plays