Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Capture Devices

• Facebook
  • Display
    I forgot to post this earlier, but this is how small this thing is compared to a 360 slim:

...and yeah, G, that's what I figured. I was planning on trying to capture and edit with Happauge but I hadn't gotten around to it yet.

Holy crap that's small.

I've found one annoying thing. If you have everything connected like it should, you need to have the thing plugged in via USB whether you intend on recording or not or you wont have a picture on your TV. I guess that's kind of a no brainer since it doesn't have a regular power supply. If you don't want to be recording, you need to disconnect the HDMI from the device and run it straight from the 360 to the TV. I haven't tried this yet on PS3, but I'd imagine it would be the same.

...and yeah, it's incredibly small for what it does. I'm probably going to lose it, but I love the portability. What I do not love...glossy finish. Ew.

Yeah, just from your picture, you can see finger prints and stuff all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    Here's a video I captured and edited with Elgato on the 360. I captured one on the PS3, too, but it looked exactly the same so I didn't feel like going through the editing, but it does look exactly the same. The editing software this thing comes with it is pretty awesome. It also has some weird feature that if you have it plugged in but aren't recording, miss a clip and wish you could have recorded it...you can go back and start the recording. All in all, pretty pleased with it.

I've found one annoying thing. If you have everything connected like it should, you need to have the thing plugged in via USB whether you intend on recording or not or you wont have a picture on your TV. I guess that's kind of a no brainer since it doesn't have a regular power supply. If you don't want to be recording, you need to disconnect the HDMI from the device and run it straight from the 360 to the TV. I haven't tried this yet on PS3, but I'd imagine it would be the same.

...and yeah, it's incredibly small for what it does. I'm probably going to lose it, but I love the portability. What I do not love...glossy finish. Ew.
    Ordered this bad boy this afternoon as I had quite a bit of Amazon credit saved up but the ability to use HDMI to my CPU monitor and its size were a real PLUS for me. IOU thanks for confirming/checking that there wasn't any noticeable difference in video quality on the PS3. Looking forward to using this bad boy some. Does the editing feature have the ability for you to just take a still frame and take that shot and turn it into an image that could be uploaded to like a photobucket or whatever the cool kids are using now?

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Ordered this bad boy this afternoon as I had quite a bit of Amazon credit saved up but the ability to use HDMI to my CPU monitor and its size were a real PLUS for me. IOU thanks for confirming/checking that there wasn't any noticeable difference in video quality on the PS3. Looking forward to using this bad boy some. Does the editing feature have the ability for you to just take a still frame and take that shot and turn it into an image that could be uploaded to like a photobucket or whatever the cool kids are using now?
    Even if not, you'd be able to record a video and then load it into a program like VLC Player (free media player) and then capture screenshots that way. It's a bit of a pain but that's how we've done it in the past when posting images from early release, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    Even if not, you'd be able to record a video and then load it into a program like VLC Player (free media player) and then capture screenshots that way. It's a bit of a pain but that's how we've done it in the past when posting images from early release, etc.
    Good call. Just trying to see if I can use this bad boy to the MAX and hopefully eliminate my need to type up much of anything to satisfy my itch to post an offline dynasty here.

You'd have to do what G suggested as I don't see a place to grab a screenshot within the software. It makes it extremely easy for a new editor to cut out clips and string other clips together(not that it's hard in Vegas) so you should have no problem editing. Just make sure that when you get everything connected(make sure your PS3 is off), hold the PS3 power button until the 2nd beep so it resets video settings. Then go into your video settings on your PS3 and make sure that video/audio is set up for component. If not, you'll be playing in SD.

Shizzle I just realized my old trusty laptop is on Windows Vista and not 7 and it looks like the Elgata requires 7. I guess at worse I can connect it to my desktop and possibly purchase a second monitor so that my CPU will stay up while I am playing.

The unit I bought last year was the AverMedia HD PVR. Works great and got it for $139 if I'm not mistaken. Basically similar to the Hauppauge, does the encoding or whatever in the box.

Still haven't gotten the Sony software but the stock software is sufficient for now

Have a few videos up on YouTube though I think 2 of my most recent games are marked private

Wow this thread is great. Thank you for everything. We had a similar discussion in my league early in the 2012 life-cycle, but none of us pulled the trigger on picking up a capture device as we're not the most technically saavy chaps. I rigged a terrible uStream set-up using my phone as a live stream for major games (not recommended) that guys could try to follow and comment on.

I can't wait to save up a bit so I can get this set up. It would make things so much easier knowing I can clearly prove where and how often fringe owners cheesed and why they're getting booted.

What's this kickback thing for TGT? If I do indeed go with the Elgato, and there's a way TGT get's some support, I'd definitely go that route. I'm not a majorly active member, but I follow things quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by EDJ View Post
    What's this kickback thing for TGT? If I do indeed go with the Elgato, and there's a way TGT get's some support, I'd definitely go that route. I'm not a majorly active member, but I follow things quite a bit.
    Amazon has a partner's program to where if you buy something that we link on here or use a search page that we created on here, we get kickbacks based on a percentage. Whenever we link to a product on Amazon, we included our referral tag which identifies us. However, if you're just looking for whatever, then you can also search through a widget on our Support Us page. You can also find a link to that page in a sticky thread in the Other Video Games section.

We use the money we earn from it to help keep this place running. Since we hate ads as much as the next guy, this is a good way to offset some of the cost.

just get some of that double-sided Velcro and stick it on your 360 thats what i did in my rack on deployment with my IPAD it was like a mini TV in there

well i just got the elgato in the mail today. Hooked it up and low and behold i have to upgrade my mac os to use it so i have been downloading it all damn afternoon! o well i guess i will have to wait til Saturday to really sink my teeth into it

Quote Originally Posted by KIDZER0918 View Post
    well i just got the elgato in the mail today. Hooked it up and low and behold i have to upgrade my mac os to use it so i have been downloading it all damn afternoon! o well i guess i will have to wait til Saturday to really sink my teeth into it
    Sweet, post how it goes. I'd love to see other test vids and personal reviews on it.

I get a signing bonus at work for getting licensed. Part of that is going to the Elgato.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G on the Sprint Now Network, using Tapatalk 2.0.

twitter: the_EDJ
    Last edited by EDJ; 06-22-2012 at 05:18 PM.

FYI - I got the Elgato recently and its a pretty nice product. No major complaints so... far. (other than I wish it was HDMI/HDMI for the PS3 but that's not Elgato's fault/problem)

Here is a sample from my FIFA game with JB the other day. I am still messing with the settings but I'm pretty happy with the picture quality of the capture.

Nice. Between your video CLW, and the video that Beatn put up, I'm definitely gonna take a very serious look at getting the Elgato down the road here.

FYI - I got the Elgato recently and its a pretty nice product. No major complaints so... far. (other than I wish it was HDMI/HDMI for the PS3 but that's not Elgato's fault/problem)

Here is a sample from my FIFA game with JB the other day. I am still messing with the settings but I'm pretty happy with the picture quality of the capture.

Not bad at all.

+1 for 0:05 through 0:12 I came online and orange team scores

JB isn't much of a FIFA player, I see.

One question I just thought of. Don't know if you guys have an answer. I run HDMI to my tv, but for audio I run an optical cable. Will the PS3 allow me to split audio out between two sources? Using the provided cable for the Elgato, but still running surround sound via optical?