Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Capture Devices

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Wow looks great! Does the link to Amazon above you provided give TGT the "kick back" when I buy this bad boy?
    Doesn't look like it does but this one does:
    Elgato Game Capture HD PlayStation 3/Xbox 360 Recorder for Mac/PC (10025010)

Quote Originally Posted by KIDZER0918 View Post
    i am leaning towards the hdmi one, just because i would still like to play my games at the highest quality possible
    Hauppauge and the Elgato record in the same resolutions so you wont find a difference there. You wont see much of a difference on your TV, either(I can't tell at all). The only reason I got the Elgato was way less cables and no needed power supply. The quality is virtually the same.

I also use the Hauppage. I don't really like the editor, and use Windows Movie Maker for that. I like everything else about the Hauppage. I already had the PS3 Component cable, so I didn't need to buy the 1445...I have the 1212.

Anyone have experience with this one? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005YR0M0W

noticed you don't need a pc connected just a flash drive or external hd.

Seems kind of pointless to me. You need to already have a hard drive, and then once you capture it, you need to transfer it to a PC to edit/upload it anyway. You'd probably be better off forking over another $10 and getting a Happauge unless your computer isnt anywhere near your game console.

Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    Seems kind of pointless to me. You need to already have a hard drive, and then once you capture it, you need to transfer it to a PC to edit/upload it anyway. You'd probably be better off forking over another $10 and getting a Happauge unless your computer isnt anywhere near your game console.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    The dude abides.

The other negative is that if you were looking to stream your game (ala Justin.tv or such), you won't be able to. That and since it's outputting in AVI, I'm not sure how easy of a time you'll have in editing your video. AVI is often very large file size or if it handles file size well, it's horribly compressed and not natively supported by most video editors. You would have to convert it and then edit which would add hours onto your process.

Personally, I'd love to have a HDD built into my HD-PVR simply because my PS3 is in my front room while my PC is in my back office. As is now, I have to run USB extension cables down my hallway.

Thanks, I think I just need to buy a new PC. First time I used the haupage, my laptop's motherboard bonked out. Haven't used it since.

Here's a video I captured and edited with Elgato on the 360. I captured one on the PS3, too, but it looked exactly the same so I didn't feel like going through the editing, but it does look exactly the same. The editing software this thing comes with it is pretty awesome. It also has some weird feature that if you have it plugged in but aren't recording, miss a clip and wish you could have recorded it...you can go back and start the recording. All in all, pretty pleased with it.

Here's a video I captured and edited with Elgato on the 360. I captured one on the PS3, too, but it looked exactly the same so I didn't feel like going through the editing, but it does look exactly the same. The editing software this thing comes with it is pretty awesome. It also has some weird feature that if you have it plugged in but aren't recording, miss a clip and wish you could have recorded it...you can go back and start the recording. All in all, pretty pleased with it.
    Yeah, that DVR rewind function plus the HDMI cable are definitely enticing. If I didn't already have the HDPVR then I'd consider it myself. That and it being so much more portable than the HDPVR.

My question to you IOU, is the processing for the video taking place on the device or on the PC? In other words, with HDPVR, even if you have a crap computer, you can still capture HD footage because the processing is all in the device. You may struggle to edit it, but at least you could capture it. I'm considering putting together a really cheap HTPC so that I can use it as a capture station and video server for my TV.

As far as I know, all the encoding and processing for recording is done through the device, so I'd imagine you would be able to record on just about anything. The system requirements are the exact same as the requirements for the Hauppauge:

Windows 7, 2.0GHz dual core CPU, sound card
    4GB RAM, USB 2.0 port

Sweet. I've got a dual core 2.53GHz laptop, so I was concerned about all the action being done on the PC. If it's all handled through the device, then I'm gonna have to look into getting this sometime in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Sweet. I've got a dual core 2.53GHz laptop, so I was concerned about all the action being done on the PC. If it's all handled through the device, then I'm gonna have to look into getting this sometime in the future.
    It sounds like just like the HDPVR, you should have no trouble capturing whatsoever... the problem you'll have though is when you go to edit it or possibly even watch it. For both, you'll be well served if you have a better than stock video card.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    It sounds like just like the HDPVR, you should have no trouble capturing whatsoever... the problem you'll have though is when you go to edit it or possibly even watch it. For both, you'll be well served if you have a better than stock video card.
    Is a nVidia GeForce 9800M GTS good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Is a nVidia GeForce 9800M GTS good enough?
    Yeah... that should work. It's an older card but it should work well enough for you. You shouldn't have any trouble playing it and as far as editing goes, you can always lower the preview quality (if needed) to where it gives you good performance.

Just to pass on knowledge, in regards to video card numbering, the first digit is the series, the next is the quality. So in your case, you have the 9000 series and 8 is the quality. If there are any other numbers factored in, that's generally just the revision so if you had a 9850, it's similar quality to the 9800, but it's a slightly tweaked/updated version (FYI, 9850 doesn't actually exist). The M is for mobile (ie laptop) which are generally somewhat lower than the standard desktop version.

I think 8 was the highest released in the 9000 series so you have the best of that age (although a GTX is better than a GTS). However, your age is fairly old in computer terms. On this cycle, they are using 3 digits instead of 4 so a 180 is better than a 9800 (newer technology but similar quality). They're up to 600 series which is top of the line and way too expensive right now. To go it a step further, a 520 is not better than a 9800. Just because it's a newer series, does not mean it's a better card. A 520 would likely struggle playing most 3D PC games whereas a 9800 would at least be able to run most, though likely at lower quality settings.

Bear in mind though, when comparing cards, you can only compare to the same brand as what you're looking at. You can't do a straight-up numbers comparison between an AMD (Radeon) & Nvidia (GeForce) card.

If you're really curious, you can look at benchmark results here: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Yeah, I definitely believe that it's an old and no longer great/top line card. I got this laptop towards the end of 2008, early months of 2009, so it's been well over 3 years. Still plays new PC games pretty well, and with exception for the top graphic intensive games, can still play games on medium to (usually) high graphics.

I did the editing on an integrated Intel HD card without a hitch. It comes with a built in editor that is extremely easy to use and isn't nearly as hardware intensive as Sony Vegas is. I still prefer Sony Vegas because of the greater number of options, but it's a very nice touch for someone who is getting into recording/editing for the first time.

With Sony Vegas after I was done editing, I had to wait a good 30 minutes for it to render a 5 minute clip. With the editing software the Elgato comes with, it must render it real time or something...I didn't even have to wait a second after I was finished editing. It was cut down to a 4 or 5 minute clip and ready to be put on YT.

I did the editing on an integrated Intel HD card without a hitch. It comes with a built in editor that is extremely easy to use and isn't nearly as hardware intensive as Sony Vegas is. I still prefer Sony Vegas because of the greater number of options, but it's a very nice touch for someone who is getting into recording/editing for the first time.

With Sony Vegas after I was done editing, I had to wait a good 30 minutes for it to render a 5 minute clip. With the editing software the Elgato comes with, it must render it real time or something...I didn't even have to wait a second after I was finished editing. It was cut down to a 4 or 5 minute clip and ready to be put on YT.
    Did you need a license for the editing software? If not, I'd be interested in checking it out to see how well it might work with the HDPVR generated files. I'm assuming it's just a M2TS editor which I already have but it's cumbersome.

Nope, you just go to gamecapture.com/download and download it. No key or anything required.

Nope, you just go to gamecapture.com/download and download it. No key or anything required.
    I figured as much but it's all proprietary... it doesn't recognize any of my captures and obviously won't let me capture with the HDPVR.