Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Capture Devices

• Facebook
  • Display

Video Capture Devices

I am trying to find a good video capture device to capture gameplay and stuff. some things that i need to take into consideration is:

Mac compatible
    HD
    and the video editing software

right now i am considering this
    http://www.hauppauge.com/index.htm

any other help would be great.

I don't have any experience with Macs but the HDPVR is indeed the way to go. On the PC side, it's the HDPVR + Sony Vegas Movie Studio.

I use the Hauppauge as well. I really dig it.

I used Hauppauge as well but recently switched to the Elgato Game Capture HD and I couldn't be happier with it. HDMI connection instead of component cables and the quality is just as good as I was getting with Hauppauge all for the same price(cheaper if you buy it on Amazon).

Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    I used Hauppauge as well but recently switched to the Elgato Game Capture HD and I couldn't be happier with it. HDMI connection instead of component cables and the quality is just as good as I was getting with Hauppauge all for the same price(cheaper if you buy it on Amazon).
    The HDMI only works on 360 though, correct? I believe for PS3 you still have to use the component cables.

thanks for all the help i am looking up reviews now

I haven't tried yet, but I don't think you can record via HDMI with the PS3, but it does come with a single cable that connects to the PS3 so that it can record. Whether that's in HD, I don't know...I'll have to try it out later.

I haven't tried yet, but I don't think you can record via HDMI with the PS3, but it does come with a single cable that connects to the PS3 so that it can record. Whether that's in HD, I don't know...I'll have to try it out later.
    I'd be very interested to seeing if you can record via HDMI on PS3 with your Elgato. My current setup (PS3 to 27" computer monitor) doesn't have a component option. I've wanted to get the Hauppage for awhile now but have always balked b/c of my setup. I have seen on the net (youtube) about "converters" that will work on my setup but I've been hesitant going with some "Youtube" approach from a 12 year old.

do you ever play just straight off your pc screen? if you wanted to is there any lag? i only ask because i would have to move my pc close to the tv and i would rather just play on my screen if there is no lag or anything

Just tried it and HDMI doesn't work, BUT...

It comes with a cable that looks like an S-Video on one end and then the A/V connector for the PS3 on the other end. The S-Video end goes into the Elgato device and the other end goes into the back of the PS3. HDMI goes into the Elgato device and then to your TV and you're able to record in up to 1080i resolution. I had to go in and change my PS3 video settings to component though. A little extra work but for not needing component cables and/or a power adapter, I'm still happy with it. The only issue I have with it is how small it is. It's only a matter of time before I lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by KIDZER0918 View Post
    do you ever play just straight off your pc screen? if you wanted to is there any lag? i only ask because i would have to move my pc close to the tv and i would rather just play on my screen if there is no lag or anything
    With the HDPVR, there's at least a second or so of delay so no you wouldn't want to play on the PC side.

There's the same delay on the Elgato as well. It wouldn't be possible to play through the PC monitor you're capturing it to. It's a good full second or two behind the game system.

cool i am looking forward to NCAA 13 and wanted to do a video dynasty similar to my old one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4qid7OZ6aE

Just tried it and HDMI doesn't work, BUT...

It comes with a cable that looks like an S-Video on one end and then the A/V connector for the PS3 on the other end. The S-Video end goes into the Elgato device and the other end goes into the back of the PS3. HDMI goes into the Elgato device and then to your TV and you're able to record in up to 1080i resolution. I had to go in and change my PS3 video settings to component though. A little extra work but for not needing component cables and/or a power adapter, I'm still happy with it. The only issue I have with it is how small it is. It's only a matter of time before I lose it.
    Yeah a little google/youtube research showed that when I was looking at it as well.

IF you wanted to go that route on the PS3 are still able to record/play games in HD (1080i, 720p)? Notice any "significant" loss of video quality when you go the "A/V connector" route on the PS3?

Back when I used Hava, the delay there was even worse.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Yeah a little google/youtube research showed that when I was looking at it as well.

IF you wanted to go that route on the PS3 are still able to record/play games in HD (1080i, 720p)? Notice any "significant" loss of video quality when you go the "A/V connector" route on the PS3?
    It looks exactly the same to me as when I'm using HDMI. It allows you to record and view game play in 1080i, so it would essentially be the same quality as using component cables. I would record a test for you, but it would take awhile to upload at the highest resolution. Here's one from some random Youtube user recorded on the PS3 with Elgato:

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Back when I used Hava, the delay there was even worse.

Oh yeah. I haven't used Hava in a long time but it was really bad. I recently used the Roxio Game Capture, too, and there was a good 5 second delay on that sucker. By the way, whatever you do, stay away from the Roxio. It's bad, bad news.

i am leaning towards the hdmi one, just because i would still like to play my games at the highest quality possible

Oh yeah. I haven't used Hava in a long time but it was really bad. I recently used the Roxio Game Capture, too, and there was a good 5 second delay on that sucker. By the way, whatever you do, stay away from the Roxio. It's bad, bad news.
    I need to put my Hava on eBay.

The dude abides.

It looks exactly the same to me as when I'm using HDMI. It allows you to record and view game play in 1080i, so it would essentially be the same quality as using component cables. I would record a test for you, but it would take awhile to upload at the highest resolution. Here's one from some random Youtube user recorded on the PS3 with Elgato:

Wow looks great! Does the link to Amazon above you provided give TGT the "kick back" when I buy this bad boy?