Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DayZ - Arma II Mod (PC)

• Facebook
  • Display
    Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    I'll be curious if they have anything in place for the night time... apparently it varied from person to person but for me it, it was 100% pitch black without a light.
    Everything I ever watched was like that as well without a light. Unfortunately, that's the problem with a game that has server time determining what time of the day it is and for people that mainly play late in the afternoon or during the night.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Everything I ever watched was like that as well without a light. Unfortunately, that's the problem with a game that has server time determining what time of the day it is and for people that mainly play late in the afternoon or during the night.
    Actually some could see for a short distance like you would expect someone out in the wilderness could. I myself couldn't even see the mountain on the horizon or trees or anything like that. I saw some suggest it mattered what kind of video card you had and which was why it was causing the devs problems to correct it.

Here's an example of where they can at least see the horizon & outline of trees...

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Oh wow. That's TOTALLY different than anything I've ever watched.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    I'll be curious if they have anything in place for the night time... apparently it varied from person to person but for me it, it was 100% pitch black without a light.
    Yeah, there might be the light of the moon, but you couldn't see shit.

The dude abides.

What's the holdup on the standalone game?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    The dude abides.

An update on DayZ standalone
    http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php...december-2013/

Essentially, the standalone is coming soon but will be an early access project on steam and will certainly be in alpha. Wait and buy later if you're on the fence.

Can't wait to try.
    The dude abides.

Standalone is officially in alpha. Early Access on Steam

Costs $29.99.

Is anyone going to get it this early? Until I get my net issue solved on the desktop, I won't be able to play.
    The dude abides.

I went ahead and got it. I was going to wait until it arrived on one of the next gen consoles, but consoles wont see it until late 2015/early 2016 at the earliest by my estimation.

I'll wait... I got bored with it when it was a mod. I'll wait and see if they fixed some of the annoyances with it (namely joining friends easily).

Never played the mod, but on the standalone there's a section under the server list to join friends:

Didn't have a very thrilling first 2 hours. Virtually every server was night time when I was playing and I accidentally threw away my flashlight within the first 5 minutes while trying to figure out controls and it's literally pitch black without a light. Spent a good while trying to find it before venturing off in the dark. I couldn't see anything and after about 20 minutes, I realized I wasn't getting anywhere without a light.

I wandered around aimlessly trying to find a zombie to kill me. When I couldn't find a zombie, I took off all my guys' clothes and shoes hoping he would die faster (see above ). After about 15 minutes of that I found some water and decided to jump in that and swim across. He lived through that as well. After about 2 hours of similar activities, I finally found a house with a light and some food. Got all fed up, some clothes, and finally had a light. I walked out the door and was killed by some goon standing there waiting for me.

worth $30?

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx since I'm too lazy to get to the CPU using Tapatalk 4
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    Never played the mod, but on the standalone there's a section under the server list to join friends:
    Yeah... finding the server on isn't the problem. The problem is finding them out in the world once you're spawned. It'd be nice if they let you choose your spawn point near your friend so that even though you don't spawn right on them, you can at least meet in the nearest town without much difficulty.

Between that and the glitched laggy zombies, it became a chore after the initial charm wore-off.

172.5k sold on day one.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx since I'm too lazy to get to the CPU using Tapatalk 4
    The dude abides.

Whats the difference between the 30.00 version and the free version (mod) version?

Is it even worth 30.00?

Quote Originally Posted by oweb26 View Post
    Whats the difference between the 30.00 version and the free version (mod) version?

Is it even worth 30.00?
    The free/mod version is just that... a mod built on top of another game. The $30 version is significantly reconstructed to reduce bugs & cheating (which was rampant). That and the mod version still required Arma II (plus some add-ons) so if you don't already have that (and aren't interested in an army sim), I'd go with the standalone version.