Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: NCAA Football 13 - Quick Clips

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Yes there are comebacks Dr. Death but sometimes it's just not going to happen. I understand some coaches love to run up the score but if you are a BCS team playing an FCS team and are winning 42-0, that FCS team can't stop your offense. In some situations you need to show sportsmanship.
    And just so we're quite clear here, in all my years of playing NCAA football, I have never once played an FCS or Division II team. I always take over smaller schools and try to build them up, usually scheduling much tougher schools to play. Just so you understand where I'm coming from. And the comebacks I mentioned - and the many more I could list - are all BCS schools playing BCS schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Death View Post
    And just so we're quite clear here, in all my years of playing NCAA football, I have never once played an FCS or Division II team. I always take over smaller schools and try to build them up, usually scheduling much tougher schools to play. Just so you understand where I'm coming from. And the comebacks I mentioned - and the many more I could list - are all BCS schools playing BCS schools.
    I know. I'm just saying that there are times where coaches do need to pull back the throttle.

As I said... it's not MY job to shut down my offense... it's the other team's job!
    Listen, I'm not talking about situations where Season Showdown said you were running up the score, like when you were up just 14 late in the game. We're all in agreement that was ridiculous. I'm talking about being up 59-17 at the beginning of the 4th quarter, then proceeding to put 24 on your opponent. Is it football? Sure. Is it necessary? No.

I don't agree with Bohica's idea that it should influence your Coach Integrity, but I also wouldn't mind seeing coaches get reputations for taking it easy or running up the score. Different players would be attracted to different styles, after all.
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 06-30-2012 at 01:53 PM.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Listen, I'm not talking about situations where Season Showdown said you were running up the score, like when you were up just 14 late in the game. We're all in agreement that was ridiculous. I'm talking about being up 59-17 at the beginning of the 4th quarter, then proceeding to put 24 on your opponent. Is it football? Sure. Is it necessary? No.

I don't agree with Bohica's idea that it should influence your Coach Integrity, but I also wouldn't mind seeing coaches get reputations for taking it easy or running up the score. Different players would be attracted to different styles, after all.
    Yep, I let off the gas. Take my dynasty I'm posting on here. Playing as FIU, I played Mid Tennessee State. I was up 31-3 at halftime (MTSU sucks horribly in season 3 of my dynasty), and I completely took my foot off the gas in the second half. Ran almost exclusively, scored only a single touchdown in both the third and fourth quarters to win 45-3. If I wanted to, I probably could have kept my foot to the floor and won like 70-3 or something. But that's just not my style of play. It was over at halftime, there was no doubt, I was just taking it easy, running the ball, milking the clock, and giving the backups playing time in the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post

And that's fine and I have no problem w/ that. What I do have a problem w/ is SS "penalizing" me for playing my game - off-line - and telling me I'm a "bad sport" for throwing a 4 yard pass on 3rd and 3. And I also get the feeling from what was said about "Coach Integrity" that we would be "punished" for even getting to 59-17 at the start of the 4th.

Since nobody else has brought it up, I will, but I know that John Jenkins - who coached - would routinely run the score up - hence some of his QB's and their "records" like 716 yards passing and 11 TD passes in a single game. They once won 95-21. I agree that those kind of games are not called for, but I don't play like that and I also don't like being "told" by SS that I'm a bad sport when the score is 28-7 and knowing how the CPU will behave at times, that lead could easily be erased quite quickly.

I also hate - and I mean absolutely detest - being "penalized" for passing the ball when that's what I do. What if I ran the ball all the time? SS would be perfectly fine w/ me running for 600 yards but I get told I'm a bad person for throwing for 400! Makes no sense and they'd better not start giving coaches "bad integrity" for playing their game. I will go on long drives - 16, 17, 20 play drives that cover 90 + yards and take 7:00 + minutes off the clock. And I do it using a very short, quick passing game. Yet that's wrong. But if I ran every time and accumulated the same amount of yards, it would be perfectly fine.

Am I the only who sees the stupidity in that???

The point of SS was for morons online who go for it on 4th down all the time.

Why anyone would be bothered by a pop-up from SS is beyond me. Just ignore it, it doesn't affect the game. Who cares?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

And that's fine and I have no problem w/ that. What I do have a problem w/ is SS "penalizing" me for playing my game - off-line - and telling me I'm a "bad sport" for throwing a 4 yard pass on 3rd and 3. And I also get the feeling from what was said about "Coach Integrity" that we would be "punished" for even getting to 59-17 at the start of the 4th.

Since nobody else has brought it up, I will, but I know that John Jenkins - who coached - would routinely run the score up - hence some of his QB's and their "records" like 716 yards passing and 11 TD passes in a single game. They once won 95-21. I agree that those kind of games are not called for, but I don't play like that and I also don't like being "told" by SS that I'm a bad sport when the score is 28-7 and knowing how the CPU will behave at times, that lead could easily be erased quite quickly.

I also hate - and I mean absolutely detest - being "penalized" for passing the ball when that's what I do. What if I ran the ball all the time? SS would be perfectly fine w/ me running for 600 yards but I get told I'm a bad person for throwing for 400! Makes no sense and they'd better not start giving coaches "bad integrity" for playing their game. I will go on long drives - 16, 17, 20 play drives that cover 90 + yards and take 7:00 + minutes off the clock. And I do it using a very short, quick passing game. Yet that's wrong. But if I ran every time and accumulated the same amount of yards, it would be perfectly fine.

Am I the only who sees the stupidity in that???
    i completely agree with this. i specifically remember back, when we were all at utopia and had the dev chats over there with greg, russ, and ben. i asked ben if pass heavy teams would be penalized late in the game if they had a lead, late in the game....and ben responded that you wouldnt be penalized for running your offense.

it doesnt make a difference if its a drag route or a go route, you get penalized the same amount for throwing on 3rd and short late in the game with a lead. that needs to be changed, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    ya, but it didnt work at all, as far as changing how those dumbfucks play the game.

Why anyone would be bothered by a pop-up from SS is beyond me. Just ignore it, it doesn't affect the game. Who cares?

it has more of an effect than what you think.....what if you got a huge penalty for breaking off a big run late in the game, instead of taking a knee? i guess this is something that mostly affects the pass heavy guys, since there is no penalty for running the ball. but i dont think there should be a penalty if you're barely throwing it downfield late in the game with a lead.

Quote Originally Posted by baseballplyrmvp View Post
    ya, but it didnt work at all, as far as changing how those dumbfucks play the game.
    Well that's because in the end they're still dumbfucks. You can try to change the game, but you can't change the dumbfucks. In the end, no matter what changes you make to the game to counter the dumbfucks, they're still the same old dumbfucks who are going to continue their dumbfuckery regardless of what the dev team does. Which is why no matter what, online in NCAA Football (and most all sports games for that matter), outside of ODs or games with a select group of people on here, is dead to me.

And for the record, I don't know if dumbfuckery is a real word, but if not, well, it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by baseballplyrmvp View Post

it has more of an effect than what you think.....what if you got a huge penalty for breaking off a big run late in the game, instead of taking a knee? i guess this is something that mostly affects the pass heavy guys, since there is no penalty for running the ball. but i dont think there should be a penalty if you're barely throwing it downfield late in the game with a lead.
    I agree, it's dumb. But, IT DOES NOT AFFECT THE GAME. So you get fewer points in SS for getting those penalties. Who cares? Call the game the way you call the game and ignore your SS score.

To be "bothered" by this is silly.

I know I like being one of the top 10 players in the world!

Okay, so if SS was created for On-Line... then why does it have to constantly be bothering me and others who play in our own dynasty by ourselves? It's technically on-line since you are signed into the EA Servers, but I play alone. It shouldn't be there at all for those who play this way. As to why it's annoying... when I pay $60.00 for a game, and want to play that game a certain way, I shouldn't be "told" I'm being a bad sport, particularly when I am not.

And there have been times - like I mentioned prior - when I throw a 4 yard completion on 3rd and 3 and get that "penalty" of -250 points and all that does is want to make me start going deep and really laying the points on. It's just another poorly executed "thing" that EA came up with and didn't think it all the way through. It is very annoying and I know I speak for a lot of people when I say that.

And Smooth... that word you created... perfectly exemplifies everything about SS! I wish I could send EA daily "pop-ups" about how they once again have the home jersey for wrong, or the white helmet for wrong or the grey helmet for wrong or all of the other plethora of things that have been wrong for three or four years. Unfortunately, we don't have that opportunity!

I see Tommy is the #1 Arkansas St. player.

To be "bothered" by this is silly.
    Sillier than an argument over what is or is not "sim" play? Because that's effectively what SS does. It says "you are not playing the game the right way". Sure, we can all brush it off and whatever, but that's what it's doing.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

I guess I just don't get butt-hurt when a video game tells me I'm not being fair. Similarly, I don't get an erection when a video game gives me a virtual trophy for being good at it.

Now, if being penalized in SS affected what happens on the virtual gridiron (ie ratings penalties/boosts), I'd be mad as hell. Otherwise, fuck it - who cares?

$60 doesn't entitle anyone to anything. You buy the game they made, and you play it. Otherwise, you don't buy it. Not every facet of every game is going to make every user happy and/or be customizable to every user's wishes.

Don't get me wrong. SS is dumb. I don't support it, or care about it. I also don't pay any attention to it which solves the problem entirely for me.

Wait a second...

Have you seen some of the incredible comebacks in college football??? Why should a coach receive a negative integrity for continuing to score points??? I have never understood this. It is the opponents job to stop your offense, not your own coach's!
    You totally missed my point. This has nothing to do with my personal thought on running up the score. I totally agree that when my Badgers are putting it on Purdue by 40 it is fine. However, we play a game that penalizes us HEAVILY for running it up for moronic things; down to the point that if you throw on 3rd and 8 in the 4th and you are up by 20 it will deduct 50 points for sportsmanship even though you are just trying to keep a drive alive. Because the game does this, I want to know if they are now going to incorporate these things in to recruiting and what have you in terms of how they view my coaching ratings. If they are adjusting things like Championship Capability with help of my record or things like that, I would think they would also add that type of thing where it takes those same scores for the College challenge and make put them in how they rank some of the coaching ratings.

This wasn't meant to start a debate on who like SS or who likes being run up on. I want to know if I am going to be penalized if the SS shows me running it up.
    Last edited by Bohica1010; 06-30-2012 at 08:17 PM.

SS has never tied into what happens in Dynasty Mode. I'm sure that it still does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohica1010 View Post
    You totally missed my point. This has nothing to do with my personal thought on running up the score. I totally agree that when my Badgers are putting it on Purdue by 40 it is fine. However, we play a game that penalizes us HEAVILY for running it up for moronic things; down to the point that if you throw on 3rd and 8 in the 4th and you are up by 20 it will deduct 50 points for sportsmanship even though you are just trying to keep a drive alive. Because the game does this, I want to know if they are now going to incorporate these things in to recruiting and what have you in terms of how they view my coaching ratings. If they are adjusting things like Championship Capability with help of my record or things like that, I would think they would also add that type of thing where it takes those same scores for the College challenge and make put them in how they rank some of the coaching ratings.

This wasn't meant to start a debate on who like SS or who likes being run up on. I want to know if I am going to be penalized if the SS shows me running it up.
    Sorry if I read what you wrote wrong. I saw this:

Quote Originally Posted by Bohica1010 View Post
    Does anyone know if running up the score will be a negative for coach integrity? We have always thought that in our online league that should play more a part of who you are as a coach instead of just for the college school challenge. Kind of like I think it was NASCAR 08? was when you would be a good guy or a villain. Not that you would be a bad coach, but that you would be kind of rated as a winning is the only thing as opposed to being a coach that is more likable for being concerned for the game.
    And that bolded part told me that you feel that our playing style should determine if we are a good guy or a bad guy - or that we would be viewed as a "Win at all costs" type of coach.

I was merely pointing out that the way EA has it set up is completely stupid. Let's penalize the teams that throw, even if it's only a 4 yard gain to keep a drive going, and NOT penalize team's that run the ball. I was also making a point about how team's who few - if any - gave a chance to win, were able to come back against all odds and win. But the way SS is set up, they are trying to tell us that a 21 point lead is too big to keep throwing the ball. And those of us who are pass-heavy teams get "penalized' or - as I see it - harassed by some stupid thing popping up telling us how bad we are.

If they wanted to install this stupid system to see who's a good sport and who isn't, they should use it only for on-line when playing head to head against another human, not when you're playing the CPU.

So again, sorry if I misread or misinterpreted what you meant...