Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The Definitive Guide To The Run & Shoot

• Facebook
  • Display
    How can you tell if it's man or zone pre-snap besides putting a receiver in motion? Is there a way to tell alignment wise? This could greatly improve my pathetic passing game.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    How can you tell if it's man or zone pre-snap besides putting a receiver in motion? Is there a way to tell alignment wise? This could greatly improve my pathetic passing game.
    I will answer this a couple of ways - the way it works in real life and the way it is in the game...

In real life, the R&S would motion guys, sometimes all the way, sometimes just to the QB and then back to where he started from. This would tell the offense if it was Zone or Man. Once June Jones got to he almost completely did away w/ motion by just lining up in a Trips formation. When in 2X2 he rarely used motion as the defense was determined after the snap of the ball.

Now, in the game, you could use motion or line up in Trips and you would know, instantly, if the D was in Man or Zone, but since EA decided to have defenses "disguise" their looks by showing Man on every play, you'll have to get used to reading the way guys line up on D and reacting quickly after the snap. There are subtle ways of telling Man or Zone by how the CB's and/or FS/SS line up and when in 4-Wide, how the LBer lines up.

I will say this though - EA "disguising" coverage is complete crap. When a team calls Cover 2 on defense, the CB doesn't follow the WR if he goes in motion. Why EA decided to do this is beyond me, but I'll be willing to bet it's out of next year's game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Death View Post
    I will say this though - EA "disguising" coverage is complete crap. When a team calls Cover 2 on defense, the CB doesn't follow the WR if he goes in motion. Why EA decided to do this is beyond me, but I'll be willing to bet it's out of next year's game.
    While I completely agree with you - in Cover 2 Match the corners would travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneback View Post
    While I completely agree with you - in Cover 2 Match the corners would travel.
    There is Cover 2 Man defense where, yes, the CB would follow the WR because they are in Man... I was talking specifically about Cover 2 Zone. And why do teams run Cover 2 Zone? To prevent sweeps, screens, quick outs to the TE, etc... And that's why the CB's stay at home. As EA has it in this year's game, that "always showing Man" is going to be exploited to hell and back.

There are many ways to disguise coverage, it's just sad that they chose the path they did. It isn't real. And I think the one thing we all agree on at this site is that we want realism. And playing any zone coverage and having your DB follow a WR in motion is counter-productive to calling the zone defense. Because in doing so, you are now creating holes in your defense, which defeats the purpose of calling a zone in the first place.

There are Cover 2 Man and Cover 2 Zone defenses... EA should realize this and have the defense and the CPU behave accordingly.

Just hit right to "disguise" coverage or man-align lol. This will make them stay put and in their zone alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by Escobar View Post
    Just hit right to "disguise" coverage or man-align lol. This will make them stay put and in their zone alignment.
    Unfortunately, the CPU doesn't do that and that is what my complaint is about.

There is Cover 2 Man defense where, yes, the CB would follow the WR because they are in Man... I was talking specifically about Cover 2 Zone. And why do teams run Cover 2 Zone? To prevent sweeps, screens, quick outs to the TE, etc... And that's why the CB's stay at home. As EA has it in this year's game, that "always showing Man" is going to be exploited to hell and back.

There are many ways to disguise coverage, it's just sad that they chose the path they did. It isn't real. And I think the one thing we all agree on at this site is that we want realism. And playing any zone coverage and having your DB follow a WR in motion is counter-productive to calling the zone defense. Because in doing so, you are now creating holes in your defense, which defeats the purpose of calling a zone in the first place.

There are Cover 2 Man and Cover 2 Zone defenses... EA should realize this and have the defense and the CPU behave accordingly.
    Again I agree completely with your point of view on it, however Cover 2 Match (probably called several different things in other systems/terminologies) is a zone coverage where the corner will travel with the WR and the linebackers will BOW. This is used by teams that don't have great corners (Cover 2 helps protect average corners) that are also not good tacklers - thus allowing the defense to protect their corners and put a better tackling linebacker as the weak side force defender.

That being said, this is not something the CPU will do so it's a moot point when playing the CPU and will open up the running game away from the slot.

But, but, all those guys posted Wishlist threads saying the CB should follow the receiver ....

Oh wait.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Dr. Death, would you mind taking us step-by-step through your read progression when using a play like 60 Slide? With 3 option routes in the same play, I would think this play could be unstoppable if executed correctly...maybe you could describe how you'd pre- and post-read against some basic defenses (Cover 1/2/3, Man w/2 deep zone, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by mew3782 View Post
    Dr. Death, would you mind taking us step-by-step through your read progression when using a play like 60 Slide? With 3 option routes in the same play, I would think this play could be unstoppable if executed correctly...maybe you could describe how you'd pre- and post-read against some basic defenses (Cover 1/2/3, Man w/2 deep zone, etc)
    I am hoping to go through a vast majority of the Run & Shoot this week, before the game comes out unless you have the Season Pass, but I am also keenly aware that EA did nothing to improve the R&S in the game, otherwise I'm quite certain they would have used it during one of their video blogs to boast about the "new improvements."

But, to go over the 60 Slide as it is in the game - and right now this is all based on NCAA '12 and the demo for '13 - your three main reads are going to be on the Trips side. In the playbook 60 Slide is in the Trips formation and Trips HB Weak - {WK} - formation. In real life the 4 WR's are called as such:

X.............W................................... ......Y................Z

In Trips Right they would be like this on 60 Slide:

X................................................. ........Y....W....Z

Since they all can't be on the LOS, this is how it will look:

X................................................. ....................Z
    .................................................. .........Y....W

Your first read is always going to be the Y receiver, or A on XBox. I don't have a PS3, so I'm not certain what icon he will have on that system, but it's the inside WR on the Trips side. The way EA has the R&S in the game is so vastly different than real life, thus making it easier at times, but also much more frustrating because so much of what makes up the R&S is left out of the game.

But let's look at some basic defenses and why Y {A} is your primary read:

Against Cover 3 he is going to run a Seam route. W/ the SS dropping down that means the FS has the entire middle of the field to cover, and you want to hit Y {A} after he clears the LB's and/or SS and before the FS can get to him. In real life, this play can be gold because in real life LB's don't have super-human abilities and the FS isn't psychic. There's another rule in the R&S that if a defender comes over to cover you, then you "cut across his face." So... let's say the D shows Cover 3 early and the FS is already in the middle of the field anticipating the Y receiver running the Seam route. And at the snap of the ball the FS "jumps" the route, then the WR is instructed to "cut across his face" - thus forcing the FS to turn completely around and in the time it takes him to do that, the WR will be well on his way to the end zone. If that situation arose, the WR would "cut across his face" by running a Post Route.

Your second read against Cover 3 would be the Z receiver, or B on XBox. Against Cover 3 he runs a Hook Route at 10-12 yards and when timed right, will be wide open as the CB is dropping back to protect against the deep route. The Z {B} receiver can help this by running hard as if he is going deep, and the second the CB turns his hips to protect against the Go Route, the receiver cuts it off and does the Hook. Again, when timed right, it is virtually unstoppable.

The W receiver, or {LB} on XBox, runs the Bubble and is the last of your three reads. If you have run this play over and over and hit Y and Z, you will find times when the D starts over protecting against that and the Bubble to W {LB} will be open. This is of course a real life tendency that you won't find in the game, since EA really doesn't have an adaptive and intelligent AI that picks up on certain tendencies.

Against Cover 2 again Y is the primary WR and he will run a Post Route and Z will run a Go Route, w/ the QB needing to hit him before the SS gets over to that area of the field. Again, this all depends on what has happened prior in the game. If you've run this play against Cover 2 five times and all five times you've hit Y on the Post for big gains, then one of the safety's is going to be a little more protective of the middle of the field. If it's the SS, then you have the Z on the Go Route. If it's the FS, then you have X on the Go Route.

Against a Blitz, you want to hit Y, typically on a Hot Route. Since the D is blitzing they will be in Man and Y just does a quick slant across the middle of the field. This isn't in the game, but you can make the read and Hot Route Y yourself to this route. In real life, the R&S used to call this play in 2 X 2 formation, as such:

Rip 60 Z Slide

X...............................LT....LG....C....R G....RT.........................Z
    ...........................W...................... ..............Y.....{W after motion}

...............................................QB. ..SB

The Rip means W will motion Right. They could also reverse this or flip it and call it Liz 61 X Slide. Liz would mean Y motions Left.

Now when W - or Y - would motion, if the D was in Man, the motioning WR would yell out UNDER and this changed everyone's routes on the Trips side. Z now runs a Post, W - the Motion WR - runs a Wheel Route and Y runs about 5 yards, fakes hard to the inside and then cuts outside. Basically a 5 & Out, but w/ that hard fake to the inside. And since he would be covered by the SS, he would almost always be open because very few SS's can cover a small, speedy WR.

Unfortunately, this is another of the things EA didn't implement from this offense into the game. With the new Hot Routes this year, you could, conceivably, Hot Route Y to do what they do in real life.

Also, w/ the Bubble Screen supposedly working better this year, if you see a Cover 4 or even an all out blitz - EA's idiotic 8 Man Blitz - you could also hit W {LB} on the Bubble and probably have some great success. Without having the game yet I don't know how effective the Bubble will be against a Cover 3 or a Cover 6... that is yet to be determined.

Hopefully this provides some help and some insight. It is so very frustrating that EA only implemented about 3% of the offense in the game, but if you know how to make quick, post-snap reads and can make pre-snap reads and Hot Route certain guys, or know who to go to quickly, the play can be very lethal.

Thanks so much! Would you also mind describing your progression for the 61 Choice?

Quote Originally Posted by mew3782 View Post
    Thanks so much! Would you also mind describing your progression for the 61 Choice?
    Keep in mind it's not my progression, I am giving you information from the plethora of Mouse Davis and/or June Jones playbooks I have. The trick is tying it in w/ the game. Since the R&S isn't properly implemented in the game I don't run it. In 2002 I saw the Rich Gannon led and their pass-heavy offense and I saw that whenever they went 5-Wide they were unstoppable.

In week two of that year when Gannon was throwing all over the it gave me an idea for an offense that's part West Coast, part Run & Shoot, part Air Raid and played out of 5-Wide. So what I run is maybe 10% R&S...

Anyway... since today is the 4th and I have stuff going on I will try to do a full write up on the R&S tomorrow and spotlight several of the plays {and all the ones in the game - all 4 of them} Thanks for your interest and hopefully tomorrow I can have a more complete picture laid out for you.

Dr D.....how do the progressions change against the defenses above, if you throw in a rip/liz call on 60 slide, thereby running it from 2x2 instead of trips?

Quote Originally Posted by baseballplyrmvp View Post
    Dr D.....how do the progressions change against the defenses above, if you throw in a rip/liz call on 60 slide, thereby running it from 2x2 instead of trips?
    Since it's like 140* here I decided to come back inside to the air conditioner and since I am here I may as well tackle this stuff right now. What you have to realize is the R&S has packages of plays that are run from the base formation, which is 2 X 2, and packages run from Trips formations. Slide is always run from the Trips formation. It either starts as 2 X 2 and then W or Y will motion or they will line up in Trips right from the get-go.

That's real life, but since they changed the way routes are run in the game when you motion a guy this year - say you line up in Trips Right and W {LB} is running the Bubble, if you were to motion him to the left side, creating a base or 2 X 2 formation, his Bubble will now flip. So while this isn't something they do in real life, you could do that this year. If you line up and can tell they are blitzing hard from the left, and you're in Trips Right, you could motion W {LB} to the left and hit him on the Bubble going away from the defense. How well will this work? I don't know yet, since I don't have the game. But from what I can tell by the demo, this would be a possibility, although it isn't something teams do in real life.

I'm going to start a L-O-N-G post on the R&S, basically breaking down many of its concepts and the beginnings of it as we know it today, how it's changed subtly over the years and how you can use the few plays in the game to your advantage.

The Run & Shoot - History, concepts and more...

Alright, we have 5 pages in this thread right now, which is cool. That tells me there are some people interested in the offense and how they can use the minor sample of plays in the NCAA game in their offense. Those of you who know me from reading my posts about the R&S know that I can write some pretty lengthy articles on it and this one will be no different. It will be long! So sit back and get ready for a long and in-depth read.

I think most already know how the R&S came to be - Tiger Ellison - a High School coach in Ohio basically created the beginnings of it and Mouse Davis took it from there. Mouse coached High School ball in Oregon for 15 years and used this offense to take advantage of his smaller players and changing the game from a game of muscle and size to one of intelligence {finding openings in Zones/ knowing how to beat your man when in Man coverage} and speed, taking advantage of smaller, faster receivers and forcing team's to either cover them w/ LB's or 3rd and 4th string DB's.

During Mouse's time in High School his teams were 79-29 and won the 1973 State Championship as well as setting many records. From there he moved to , where he went 42-24. In the 28 years prior to Mouse arriving at the Vikings were a pathetic 90-152-7. Suffice to say that Mouse turned a perennial loser into a winner. In the 5 years after he left, the Vikings went 19-33-1.

In 1982 Mouse went to the CFL and installed his offense for the Toronto Argonauts, who went 2-14 the year prior to Mouse's arrival and they made it to the Grey Cup that year, losing 16-32, but the following year, still using the R&S, they won the Grey Cup, which is the Super Bowl for the CFL.

In 1984 Mouse joined the USFL and the Houston Gamblers. Jim Kelly and his "Mouseketeers" lit up the league, throwing for 5,219 yards and 44 TD passes. In two seasons in the R&S, Kelly compiled 9,842 yards and 83 TD passes, hitting on 63% of his passes and averaging a whopping 8.53 per attempt.

It was during these years that a lot of people stood up and took notice of the R&S Offense. And one of the things that I believe ultimately hurt it was that Mouse was very eager to teach it to other coaches. While this shows the kind of person he is, it also pulled back the curtain for defensive coaches. What was once a huge mystery to them now was better understood. It didn't shut the offense down, but it certainly didn't help by having defenses knowing what to look for.

From 1989 to 1996 the R&S was in the NFL, w/ the - and using it at various times. All three teams made the play-offs when using it and in 1991 they finished 9th, 5th and 4th in points scored respectively. All three had great success running the ball as well, which is one of the worst misconceptions about the offense. In 1991 the averaged 4.1 per carry and scored 16 TD's and gained 1,366 yards rushing. The averaged 4.1 per attempt, gaining 1,664 yards and scoring 6 TD's and the , w/ Barry Sanders, averaged 4.3, gaining 1,930 yards and scoring 19 TD's. And this was the worst year for the R&S team's in terms of running the football. They usually averaged between 4.4 and 5.1 per carry. That year the went 12-4, the went 10-6 and the went 11-5.

Through the 1996 season, when the w/ June Jones were still running the R&S full time, the offense was still the same as when Mouse Davis first came up w/ it. A few subtle changes were made along the way however, including the Back Shoulder Fade that is now so common in football. This happened by accident in 1985 on the when QB Bob Gagliano tried to hit a WR down near the goal-line. The CB jammed the receiver, forcing Gagliano to throw it to his back shoulder. As soon as he saw the play, June Jones said: "That's got to be a play!!!" And the Back Shoulder Fade or Stop Fade was born.

Once Jones arrived at he began tinkering w/ the offense, including placing the QB in Shot-Gun full time and lining up in Trips more often and reducing and almost completely eliminating the motioning of receivers. When Jones took over in 1999, was coming off an 0-12 season and had lost 18 games in a row and they were 118th out of 118 team's in total offense in 1998. In Jones' first year they finished 9-4, then the biggest turn around in college football history and their offense was # 2 in the country.

The Run & Shoot has been used by a lot of teams from little league to High School to College to the Pro level. It's won championships in High School and Div. II and III levels as well as in the CFL and made the play-offs year after year in the NFL and has set records everywhere it's been. As much as I respect June Jones and his desire to take down-trodden teams and turn them around, just once I would like to see him at a big-time school w/ big-time talent. He's a tremendous coach - as can be witnessed by his W-L record and all the former college and pro players who sing his praises. He knows how to attack defenses and he's a great teacher of the game. He excels at teaching technique and June Jones at some big-time school would result in a National Championship, in my opinion. When he took over at they were on the verge of dropping the football program altogether, then in 9 years he had them in the . At he took a team that hadn't been to a bowl game in 25 years and has gone to 3 straight, winning 2 and defeating a heavily favored team 45-10.

So... w/ all that said, let's jump into the minimal amount of R&S plays in the game and how you can use these to your advantage.

Above I pretty much covered the Slide Route, so we'll look into the Go and Choice Routes. I will say this; EA has not properly implemented any of these plays, as they have left out too many of the options for the WR's to run. Perhaps it's their engine and it just can't handle it, but the reality is that in real life, there are more option routes that can be run than what is in the game. One small advantage you have is if you can read a defense and see - before the snap - what they are in, you can always Hot Route a guy to what he would do in real life.

The Choice Route is run out of Trips and is designed to get your best WR singled up against one DB on the side of the field opposite of the Trips side. He has the "Choice" of what route to run based on how the defender is playing him. Typically he will have 4 Route Options: An Out at 10-12 yards - a Skinny Post - A Comeback at 15 yards or a Go Route. All of this is based on how he is being defended. So, if the CB playing him is pressing him from inside - basically cutting him off from going inside - he sells the Go Route and at 10-12 yards he then cuts his route off to the Out. This is the base play on the Choice Route. However, let's say the DB is pressing him from the outside, closing off the Out Route, this is where the WR would read the FS and run either a Go or a Post Route.

The beauty in this play is that whatever the defense does will be wrong. And once you run this enough, it will force the defense to slide coverage over to that side of the field, thus opening the Trips side routes. One major problem in the game is trying to see the outside receivers. And let's face it, if you can't see them, you can't throw to them. Another problem is the middle receiver on the Trips side actually has several option routes to run, yet in the game he only has two, a Post or a Deep In. He should have a Go or Seam Route, Post, In and Hook, and the Hook can vary depending on where the defense is. So he basically reads the D and finds the opening between him and the QB, meaning his Hook could happen in a number of places at around 10-12 yards. Yet these aren't in the game. If you Hot Route him to a Hook Route, he will run the Hook and then just stand there even if a LBer is standing right in front of him. So again, total failure on EA's part of implementing this play correctly.

As I mentioned prior, I don't use the R&S in the game because it really isn't the R&S. However, when "practicing" I always look to the two inside guys on the Trips side. For one, I can see them and two, you have both a short and a deeper route to choose from. This year, w/ Super LB's out of the game and no more Psychic DB's, this play could be very good to use if you want to run it. You could even try and move your QB out of the pocket to see the outside WR, but know that doing this could result in more sacks.

Now for the Go Route. This is a play I just love because it is guaranteed to work against any defense you can imagine. Your first read is the inside slot receiver on the Trips side. He runs a quick out. You can gain 3 yards or 90 yards hitting him. It will work against any defense but is great against Cover 3, Cover 1, Man 2 Deep and any blitz they throw at you. You can even get this to work against Cover 2 if you throw it quickly, just remember the CB will be staying at home and a late throw - especially in an EA game - will result in a pick six.

On the Go Route both outside receivers run Go Routes. Their job is to get to the outside, even if the DB is pressing them from the outside, so they can clear space for the quick out and then they run a Fade/Go Route. EA has the single side receiver running a Curl Route. This is wrong. The only time he does not run a Go Route is if he cannot beat his guy deep, he cuts his route off and runs a Comeback at about 15 yards, driving back to the sideline at around 12 yards.

The middle receiver on the Trips side has several option routes, EA has him running a Seam/Go, a Post or a Hook. Again, this is wrong. He should run a Seam/Go, a Post or a Deep In, not a short Hook. You can Hot Route him to the Deep In, but know if you've read the defense wrong you will eliminate his other two Option Routes, thus hurting your chances w/ the play.

The Go Route is great to use as an audible IN THE GAME! Why? Because, if you see a full on blitz, you hit the inside WR on the Trips side for an easy gain. If you see one of the outside CB's blitzing, you hit that WR on the Go Route. You have to throw quickly before the FS or SS can get to him. You can also Hot Route the middle WR on the Trips side to a quick Slant over the middle against a Blitz or against Man.

For those of you interested in using the Run & Shoot in the game this year, do yourself a favor and go to the playbook and find the Shotgun HB Mid Screen. This is essentially a true Shovel Pass and works great against 3 man lines. I will be adding this to my playbook and hoping that I can audible to it from 5-Wide, because it can be very lethal. This adds one more true R&S play to your arsenal.

I truly wish that EA would give us more of the R&S in the game, because it is a beautiful offense that takes time to learn, but once learned can be very effective. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask in this thread or PM me. If you are on X-Box and want to "Lab" to help improve your passing game, I would be happy to do that too. Next w/ end I am flying to Philadelphia to sit front row at Roger Waters - The Wall Live. But after the 16th I'll be available just about anytime to lab.

Hoping this has provided some insight into the offense and I truly would love to dive into more of it, but it's rather useless when EA only has a few actual plays in the game. Perhaps someday they'll implement the entire thing. That would be a lot of fun!

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Holy shit... I swear, one of these days, I'm going to read all this stuff Death. The R&S is INCREDIBLY fascinating to me, though the Air Raid has become my main center of attention what with WVU switching to it with the hiring of Holgorsen and all.

Death, just a sanity check here ('cause otherwise my brain is about to explode), but when you say Go Route, you mean the Go play that's in the R&S playbooks in game, not a Streak hot route, right? 'Cause whenever I read route, I think an individual route, not a play or concept.

Now for the Go Route. This is a play I just love because it is guaranteed to work against any defense you can imagine. Your first read is the inside slot receiver on the Trips side. He runs a quick out. You can gain 3 yards or 90 yards hitting him. It will work against any defense but is great against Cover 3, Cover 1, Man 2 Deep and any blitz they throw at you. You can even get this to work against Cover 2 if you throw it quickly, just remember the CB will be staying at home and a late throw - especially in an EA game - will result in a pick six.

On the Go Route both outside receivers run Go Routes. Their job is to get to the outside, even if the DB is pressing them from the outside, so they can clear space for the quick out and then they run a Fade/Go Route. EA has the single side receiver running a Curl Route. This is wrong. The only time he does not run a Go Route is if he cannot beat his guy deep, he cuts his route off and runs a Comeback at about 15 yards, driving back to the sideline at around 12 yards.

The middle receiver on the Trips side has several option routes, EA has him running a Seam/Go, a Post or a Hook. Again, this is wrong. He should run a Seam/Go, a Post or a Deep In, not a short Hook. You can Hot Route him to the Deep In, but know if you've read the defense wrong you will eliminate his other two Option Routes, thus hurting your chances w/ the play.

The Go Route is great to use as an audible IN THE GAME! Why? Because, if you see a full on blitz, you hit the inside WR on the Trips side for an easy gain. If you see one of the outside CB's blitzing, you hit that WR on the Go Route. You have to throw quickly before the FS or SS can get to him. You can also Hot Route the middle WR on the Trips side to a quick Slant over the middle against a Blitz or against Man.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Death, just a sanity check here ('cause otherwise my brain is about to explode), but when you say Go Route, you mean the Go play that's in the R&S playbooks in game, not a Streak hot route, right? 'Cause whenever I read route, I think an individual route, not a play or concept.
    i think he's referencing both in these paragraphs. the play he's referring to is called 60 go, and obviously features the outside receiver(s) running a go/streak route.

awesome writeup btw Dr D.
    Last edited by baseballplyrmvp; 07-04-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by baseballplyrmvp View Post
    i think he's referencing both in these paragraphs. the play he's referring to is called 60 go, and obviously features the outside receiver(s) running a go/streak route.

awesome writeup btw Dr D.
    Yeah, I think I mainly got lost when he talked about using a Go Route as an audible. Wasn't sure if he meant a hot routed Streak or a 60 Go.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Yes, in the game it's simply called: 60 Go. In real life it could be called several ways: Rip 60 Z Go, Load 60 X Go, Trips Right 60 Z Go, Trips Left 60 X Go, Early Rip 60 Z Go, Early Load 60 X Go... etc...

Terminology can vary from coach to coach, but that's essentially how it will be called. So yes, when talking about the Go Route, I mean the 60 Go as it is in the game, NOT a Hot Route.