Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The University of Saint Augustus Monarchs: A Massachusetts Dynasty

• Facebook
  • Display
    Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie

The University of Saint Augustus Monarchs: A Massachusetts Dynasty

The History

Unlike it's crosstown rival Holy Cross, which was founded in 1843 and has been playing football since 1891, Saint Augustus was founded in just 2006 and wouldn't begin football operations until 2010. The university was a competitive drive that mayor John Wilcox came up with in 2001 to place another high academic institution in the Worcester area to compete with the Boston mayor's constantly budding metropolis and to give already established Holy Cross another rivalry game since the termination of the Holy War rivalry with Boston College in 1986.

After 2 years of fund raising, culminating in John Wilcox's re-election in 2004 as the Worcester mayor, the groundbreaking ceremony marked the beginning of a new university in the Worcester area. Another 2 years saw the opening of the doors of the university on June 17, 2006.

On July 23rd 2008, 3 years after opening their doors, in a massive change to the FBS college landscape, The University of Saint Augustus and The College of Holy Cross announced that they, together, would be joining the FBS league as Independent members for the 2009-2010 season.

And so starts a legendary rivalry and a Massachusetts dynasty.

School Information
    First Season: 2009
    Athletic Director: Andrea Paulnescu
    Current Head Coach: Maximus O'Connor
    Home Stadium: The Hanging Gardens
    Stadium Capacity: 27,000
    Conference: Independent (2009-2012, 2015)
    Big East (2013)
    All Time Record: 48-0-16 (0.746%) (47-0-16)*
    Post Season Bowl Record: 3-1*
    Conference Titles: 1 (2013)*
    National Championships: 2 (2012; 2013)*
    Consensus All-Americans: 5*
    Consensus Freshman All-Americans: 10*
    Colors:
    Blue, Grey, Tan
    Rivals:
    Holy Cross Crusaders - The Holy War 2009-Present - 5-0 (1.000%)*
    Connecticut Huskies - The Chowder Bowl 2013-Present - 2-0 (1.000%)*
    Boston College Eagles - The Snow Bowl 2015-Present - 0-0 (1.000%)*

* - SAU was stripped of all awards and wins for the 2009 to 2013 seasons for severe violations of NCAA rules including loss of institutional control. Because of this, all records marked with an astrix shall be ignored for further record keeping.

School Records

Quarterback Records
    Type Name Record
    Career Pass Comp Daniel Kelly (2010-2013) 558
    Season Pass Comp Chris Sanders (2015) 256
    Game Pass Comp Chris Sanders (2015 vs Troy) 35
    Career Yards Daniel Kelly (2010-2013) 8496
    Season Yards Chris Sanders (2015) 3599
    Game Yards Chris Sanders (2015 vs Troy) 610
    Career TDs Daniel Kelly (2010-2013) 70
    Season TDs Chris Sanders (2015) 38
    Game TDs Chris Sanders (2015 vs FIU) 7
    Career Comp% Daniel Kelly (2010-2013) 49.8
    Season Comp% Pat Bass (2013) 63
    Game Comp% Daniel Kelly (2011 vs Hawai'i) 76

Receiving Records
    Type Position Name Record
    Career Catches WR Thomas Moses (2010-2013) 347
    Season Catches WR Thomas Moses (2010) 102
    Game Catches WR J.J.Perry (2011 vs Idaho) 16
    Career Yards WR Thomas Moses (2010-2013) 6049
    Season Yards WR Thomas Moses (2012) 1781
    Game Yards WR Thomas Moses (2012 vs Vanderbilt) 303
    Career TDs WR Thomas Moses (2010-2013) 50
    Season TDs WR Thomas Moses (2012) 16
    Game TDs WR Thomas Moses (2012 vs Boise State) 4

Rushing Records
    Career Attempts HB Tommy Mitchell (2011-2013) 377
    Season Attempts HB Carlos Marquardt (2013) 255
    Game Attempts HB Tommy Mitchell (2012 vs Boise State) 38
    Career Yards HB Tommy Mitchell (2011-2013) 1407
    Season Yards HB Carlos Marquardt (2013) 1302
    Game Yards HB Brandon Anderson (2011 vs Hawai'i) 194
    Career TDs HB Tommy Mitchell (2011-2013) 16
    Season TDs HB Carlos Marquardt (2013) 14
    Game TDs HB Carlos Marquardt (2013 vs Boise State) 3

Defensive Records
    Career Tackles LB Tony Duncan (2010-2013) 337
    Season Tackles LB Tony Duncan (2011) 95
    Game Tackles LB Michael Morton (2012 vs Clemson) 16
    Career Sacks DE Jeremy Bailey (2011-2013) 35
    Season Sacks DE Jeremy Bailey (2013) 13
    Game Sacks DE Jeremy Bailey (2013 vs Vanderbilt 3
    Career INTs LB Tony Duncan (2010-2013) 15
    Season INTs CB Terrence Quail (2011) 5
    Game INTs N/A Several Tied 2

List of Consensus All-Americans

N/A

Yearly Recaps

Season Year Prestige Record Rank Bowl Game National Champion
    1 2015 0-0 N/A N/A N/A

Goals History

2014-2015 Contract Breakdown
    Length: 1 Year
    Starting Job Security: 94%
    End of Contract Job Security: N/A

Fail Impact Goal Progress Pass Impact
    Win 8 games in one season 7
    Win 100% of your rivalry games each season 100%
    Sign a top 100 recruiting class in one regular season 46
    Win 6 games in one season
    Win 25% of your games in one season 87%
    Sign 5 prospects in 1 regular season
    Win 4 games in one season

Previous Contracts Goals

Spoiler: show
    ---

Last edited by morsdraconis; 08-18-2011 at 03:31 PM.

A Football Legend

After the announcement in the summer of 2008 that Saint Augustus would be joining the FBS as an independent, there was much speculation as to whom they would bring on as their first coach.

There were some reports that College Hall of Fame member Gordon Lockbaum, who played HB for Holy Cross from 1984 to 1988, but Lockbaum quickly snuffed those rumors out saying that he "simply wouldn't coach a team not named Holy Cross".

Also among the names reported to be interested in the Saint Augustus job was legendary coach Johnathan Xavier. Xavier has coached at several different places in his career, including Akron (his last stop, where he was the head coach for 3 seasons), Air Force (RB coach for a season), Navy (where he was the offensive coordinator for 2 seasons), and Georgia Tech (where he was the offensive line coach at the very beginning of his coaching career). While the above may not look like that of a legend, every time he has went to a school, that school has produced quickly, making him a bit of a legendary good luck charm to have on the coaching staff.

It turned out that the rumors of Johnathan Xavier wanting the Saint Augustus job were true as at the beginning of the 2009 college football season, Saint Augustus announced that Xavier would be the new head coach.

Because of the unprecedented allowance of a school to start up and immediately be in the FBS, the NCAA allowed any player on another team, from any subdivision of the college football landscape to transfer to Saint Augustus without losing a year of eligibility and so, the Saint Augustus football program started to take shape.
    Last edited by morsdraconis; 06-30-2010 at 12:22 AM.

Stadium Issues

Part of the fund raising done by Mayor Wilcox to establish the University was to have been for the creation of a new stadium along with half of the cost for the stadium to come from Holy Cross that both Saint Augustus and Holy Cross could use the stadium for their home football games, but issues arose.

Even though the new stadium was going to be massive, holding 50,000+ people, Holy Cross decided that they didn't want to lose their current stadium Fitton Field because of the historical ties they had to it, so Saint Augustus lost over half of the money for their new stadium construction and thus were stuck with a smaller stadium that only held about 20,000 people instead.

And so, The Hanging Gardens was founded in 2008 with the finishing touches on the stadium being completed on February 17th, 2009.

Some speculate that Holy Cross didn't have the money to pay their half of the 150 million dollar bill that the 50,000+ seat stadium would have required, but nothing from their end of the year financial reports on the school indicate that they are in any fiscal trouble.
    Last edited by morsdraconis; 06-30-2010 at 12:20 AM.

2009-2010 Schedule Announced

On April 21st, 2009, Saint Augustus announced their schedule for the 2009-2010 season as an independent member of the FBS.

The administration took whatever schools were willing to schedule them, but especially wanted to extend toward the Western part of the country in hopes to extend their recruiting abilities.
    Last edited by morsdraconis; 06-30-2010 at 10:24 AM.

2009-2010 Season Comes To A Close For Monarchs

As the final whistle blew on the 2009 season for the Monarchs and their new football program, excitement was pretty low. There were questions of whether or not they made the right hiring in getting Johnathan Xavier, who, supposedly, was a miracle worker. There were questions of if they should have even started playing football in the FBS. Some were proponents of them going to the FCS instead where they would have had a better chance of laying the foundation for future success in the FBS.

All of those questions arose because of the terrible start to this Massachusetts dynasty.

It would be week 4 before Saint Augustus would garner their first win in the history of their program after an embarrassing blow out at the hands of Utah State followed by a close battle against Louisiana Tech and a shootout against Wyoming. They would then falter four more times before securing their second win in school history against FCS West. That would be followed by two more close games, a 14-7 loss to Troy and a 49-42 loss at Hawai'i (this game was an embarrassment as Saint Augustus went from being up 35-14 toward the end of the 2nd quarter to losing the game in the 3rd quarter 42-35 and ultimately throwing 7 total interceptions). The season would end on a high note as Saint Augustus defeated rival Holy Cross 12-9 in the rivalry game that has been called The Holy War, giving Saint Augustus the first win in the series.

Season Record: 3-9
    Coach's Poll: Unranked
    USA Today Poll: Unranked
    BCS Poll: Unranked
    Awards Won: None

Last edited by morsdraconis; 06-30-2010 at 01:48 PM.

2010-2011 Season Schedule Announced

Once again, the administration had to scramble to be able to find teams that wanted to fill the Saint Augustus schedule, though this one definitely seems favorable to possibly give them their first winning season in their school's history, but only time and football can tell for sure.

The Road Ahead

The Monarchs' first season was considered somewhat of a letdown but a great start to their rivalry with Holy Cross.

Calvin Gregory, University of Saint Augustus' Athletic Director, stated that the administration would continue to fully support Coach Xavier in their pursuit of college football prominence.

"It was expected for us to have a troublesome first couple of seasons before we really made a splash," said Gregory. "and this past season was no different from those expectations. We all think John is doing a great job and think he will do wonderful things for the future of this program and the university."

During the recruiting portion of the offseason, on National Signing day, Saint Augustus did just that by pulling in a highly sought after 4 star recruit Thomas Moses from Lakeland, Florida at the WR position. Xavier used some of his contacts from previous coaching positions to entice him to come play for Saint Augustus. The reason for him being so highly sought after? Not only is he 6'6", but he has an amazing 4.32 40 and catches just about every pass thrown his way. Coming from Lakeland High, Moses broke every receiving record there was by his junior year in school and then broke some of them some more his senior year, which included catching 72 passes for 1,123 yards and an amazing 29 TDs for the year and leading his team to a State AAA Division Title. All of that and when Moses declared to Saint Augustus, he also said that he will be graduating early from Lakeland High, giving him the ability to come in for the end of Spring/beginning of Summer semester to get a headstart on classes.

"We're all extremely excited about Thomas getting into school early this summer and giving himself a head start on his college career," said coach Johnathan Xavier. "Being able to work with the team during the spring drills and summer practices means that he has a real good chance of starting immediately for us next season. All of that makes us very excited about him being here."

Awesome read, I will be following this and look forward to another season of Monarch football.

Quote Originally Posted by HawkFan View Post
    Awesome read, I will be following this and look forward to another season of Monarch football.
    Thanks man. I really appreciate it.

It's going to get MUCH more detailed with each game recapped and such once '11 hits and the Dynasty Wire is at my disposal. Right now, I'm just blazing through as much of it as possible on '10 to get a few seasons under my belt.

Figure I might as well throw up my uniforms and add the helmet and small field logos as well to the thread.

And, yes those are the playbooks I'll be using in '11. In '10, I'm using Nevada's playbook on offense but still using the 3-4 defense.

And I'm not sure if I'm going to keep my pitches as they are right now or not. Depends on how far I get on '10 before I get my copy of '11. If I get 6 or 7 seasons in, I could definitely see the program progressing that far in the pitches.

I should have an update on the 2010-2011 season here tomorrow sometime. Got busy with some other stuff.
    Last edited by morsdraconis; 07-02-2010 at 12:37 AM.

2010-2011 Season Closes

The second season in Saint Augustus's FBS history came to a close with their first winning record in school history as well as their first bowl game appearance in school history.

The season started off bright but quickly became dim as even though the Monarchs started off 2-0 with two wins over Western Kentucky and Eastern Michigan, Hawai'i would once again beat the Monarchs, this time in The Hanging Gardens with to a much more convincing score of 35-21. After the defeat at the hands of the Warriors, the Monarchs would lose again; this time getting blown out by UL Monroe 38-17.

But, it wasn't long afterward that Saint Augustus would rattle off three wins in a row (the current best in school history) with a convincing victory over Air Force 45-24, the first shutout in school history over FCS East 34-0, and a shootout victory over Troy 42-35.

Saint Augustus would go on to win 3 of it's last 5 games, with strong showings against Syracuse and San Diego State, a very close call against FCS Northwest, and an extension of their Holy War rivalry winning streak against Holy Cross to two games with a 16-3 victory.

Finishing the season 8-4, Saint Augustus's coach Johnathan Xavier was announced as the coach of the year for the incredible turn around by the team but it wasn't only him that would receive honors.

Saint Augustus also achieved a school first with their first bowl game appearance in school history, getting an invite to the St Petersburg Bowl to face UTEP. The Monarchs would ultimately lose the bowl game 33-12, but fans couldn't be more excited about where the football program is heading.

The Monarchs also achieved a school first with three freshman All-Americans in WRs Thomas Moses and J.J. Perry and QB Daniel Kelly. All three were part of the first recruiting class for Saint Augustus.

WR Thomas Moses also set the bar pretty high for receivers with his current school records of 102 receptions, 1615 yards receiving, and 11 touchdown receptions.

Season Record: 8-5
    Coach's Poll: Unranked
    USA Today Poll: Unranked
    BCS Poll: Unranked
    Awards Won: Coach of the Year
    Bowl Record: 0-1
    Conference: Independent
    Conference Titles: 0
    National Titles: 0

Updated the first post with School information and a running list of school records and All-Americans.

2011-2012 Season Schedule Announced

It seems that Saint Augustus has finally made a mark in the college football landscape as not only did Connecticut agree to play them, but so did Ohio, Idaho, and Buffalo (three teams that they had been trying to get on their schedule since their first season as a way to extend their program exposure).

This season also marks the beginning of the road game portion of the Hawai'i, Troy, and Western Kentucky deals which will have Saint Augustus traveling to Hawai'i, Alabama, and Kentucky for 4 seasons.

Administration Pleased With Coach

As a sign of good faith, Calvin Gregory announced today that Saint Augustus will be extending coach Johnathan Xavier's contract as the head coach of their football team by 3 years, extending his contract until the end of the 2014-2015 season. The exact amount of the contract wasn't disclosed, but based on the previous amount offered (3 year deal worth $2.25 million) it is expected to be equal to that or upwards of $1 million per year.

It was to be expected that a new deal would be reached between the two sides after not only did Saint Augustus made an amazing turn around, going from 4-8 to 8-4 in just one season and taking them to their first ever bowl game, and not only did Xavier also bring in the schools first 4* recruit in Thomas Moses, who went on to set the school record marks in every receiving category his freshman year on his way to being named one of three Saint Augustus Freshman All-Americans, but Xavier also won the Coach of the Year award for his teams incredible turnaround season, a first for himself and, obviously, for the school.

"We were extremely proud of him and the team," said Gregory. "The quick turnaround achieved by the team was certainly unexpected and something that we felt made John worthy of us looking at his contract again to consider getting an extension in now to get it out of the way."

"It makes me extremely proud of this team," said Xavier. "These guys came in during the spring and summer and worked their asses off and it was great to see that all that work pay off for them. Would we have liked to have won the bowl game as well? You can bet your ass we would have, but just getting this program out of the dumpster of the FBS was one hell of an achievement and I told them that."

On his Coach of the Year award:
    "I couldn't have done it without the other great coaches on this staff. Giving me the ability to bring in guys that I've worked with before really helped and getting this team ready for the transitions on offense and defense. Without those guys, this team wouldn't be looking back at an 8-5 season, that's for sure."

2011-2012 Season Closes

Season 3 in Saint Augustus's FBS history came to a close on a very high note.

The Monarchs finish with an amazing 11-2 record, losing close games at Troy and at home against Idaho on their way to having an 8 game winning streak to end the season.

QB Daniel Kelly had his best season, completing 51% of his passes for 2989 yards and 27 TDs to just 13 INTs. Sophomore RB Brandon Anderson added 932 yards on the ground on 215 attempts and 6 TDs to go along with, once again, both Sophomore receivers Thomas Moss and J.J. Perry having 1,000 yard seasons and Perry breaking the single season school record for receiving TDs with 12.

The season ended with a hard fought win over 6-6 Colorado State in the Armed Forces Bowl 24-21, giving Saint Augustus their first bowl win in school history and ending their season ranked for the first time ever at #22.

Coach Xavier, once again, was awarded the Coach of the Year award, making him the first consecutive winner in NCAA history of the award.

Saint Augustus once again defeated Holy Cross in the annual Holy War rivalry game 31-15, giving the Monarchs a 3-0 lead over the Crusaders in the series.

On the recruiting trail, the two winning seasons added up to the best recruiting class in Saint Augustus history with three 4* recruits and a 3* recruit being added to the normal eleven 2* recruits.

Season Record: 11-2
    Coach's Poll: #22
    USA Today Poll: #23
    BCS Poll: NR
    Awards Won: Coach of the Year
    Bowl Record: 1-1
    Conference Title: None
    National Title: None

Last edited by morsdraconis; 07-05-2010 at 07:16 PM.

Updated records with 2011 season.

2012-2013 Season Schedule Announced

A schedule worthy of a 3* prestige program, Saint Augustus was finally able to get some high profile games scheduled with some of the best teams in the country not only having Saint Augustus play at their places but come to Worcester as well.

Mayor Wilcox was quite happy to see Boston College accept the home/home agreement that Saint Augustus proposed to possibly get another rivalry started in Massachusetts.

The schedule is highlighted by four teams in the top 25, all within the first six weeks of the season. Traveling to Eugene and to Boise definitely has the fan base excited about football this season.

QB Controversy Was Hot Topic

With the season of waiting over for highly touted transfer James Collins, who transferred from Ohio State to Saint Augustus last season as a redshirt Sophomore, all eyes in Worcester were on the Monarch spring practices as Collins and Kelly battled it out.

Unfortunately for Kelly, a season ending ankle injury (and medical redshirt) put Collins into the forefront as the starting QB for the team now.

"It's unfortunate that Daniel [Kelly] is going to miss this coming season, a season where we may need him more than ever," said Coach Xavier. "But, we have all the confidence in the world in James [Collins] and we know the offense isn't going to miss a beat with him in there."

A smaller bit of interest was the battle at linebacker with highly touted recruit Mark Whitlock (one of the three 4* recruits that Saint Augustus recruited this past season) coming in and garnering immediate playing time over 2 year starter Michael Morton at the left outside linebacker (LOLB) position. Whitlock came into training camp early and immediately caught the eyes of the coaches as he flew around the practice field making plays.

Whitlock quickly worked his way up the depth chart and it was announced at the end of camp that he will indeed be the starter at the LOLB position.

"We felt that he came into camp and just immediately melded with the other guys and just played like he'd been playing in this defense for 3 years now," said Xavier. "Michael [Morton] will obviously see playing time on the field still as he wasn't simply the starter before because we didn't have anyone else. We just feel that Whitlock better fits some of the new schemes that we play on running this season."

2012-2013 Season Closes

The 2012 season was a season of champions; a season of close calls; a season of incredible plays; a season of a National Championship for SAU (Saint Augustus University).

With a schedule to be proud of for once, SAU started off with an impressive win at the Autzen Zoo in Eugene, as Oregon never has a prayer against the vaunted passing attack of SAU as they ran away with it 42-13.

SAU then followed that with a Boise State blowout upset that is the worst loss Boise State has EVER received at home (and the third worst loss of all-time for Boise State) to the tune of 59-10. James Collins would break the school passing TD record in the game by throwing 5 TD passes before being sat down at the end of the 3rd quarter. Also this game, Tony Mitchell would break the school single game carries record, touting the rock 38 times for 185 yards as well as Thomas Moses breaking the school single game TD record, catching 4 touchdown passes.

SAU would rattle off two more wins over preseason top 25 teams (Houston and Boise State would be the only teams on their schedule that would end the season ranked in the top 25) in Houston and Vanderbilt, both of which were close, hard fought games were receiver Thomas Moses continued to shine and cracked the Heisman Watch List after the Vanderbilt game. During this stretch, SAU would also reach the Top 25 in the middle of the season for the first time in school history. Also during this stretch, receiver Thomas Moses would break another school single game record, recording 303 yards receiving.

Next, SAU traveled to Western Kentucky, meeting the second of four required trips to their place as part of their 2009 agreement. The game would be fairly uneventful as SAU cruised to a 30-13 win, increasing their win streak to 13 games, including a 7 game home winning streak.

SAU then traveled to Indiana as they continued their trip across America in an attempt to increase their National Exposure. SAU would reach #16 in the polls this week with a hard fought, grind it out game against Indiana, traveling back to Worcester with a 26-19 victory.

SAU would have little time to rest as they had two talented opponents in Pittsburgh and UCF both traveling to Worcester. The Pittsburgh game would be huge as it was a chance to show off to highly sought after junior college 4* halfback recruit Charles Franklin. It indeed turned out to be quite a show as SAU would walk away with a 25-24 win over the Panthers as they stopped them on Pitt's final drive outside of FG range to preserve the win. UCF would prove to also be quite a game as SAU would squeeze out a win in the end 23-17, as, once again, Moses would prove to be the player of the game with his performance.

Next, SAU traveled to beautiful Hawai'i to play some football and came away with yet another hard fought defensive win, beating the Warriors 10-6, pushing their unbeaten record to 9-0 and their win streak to 17 games, 9 straight at home.

Both streaks would continue as SAU played host to cross state Boston College and cross country Utah. Boston College and Utah would both mark school single game records being broken; defensive end James Bailey as he recorded 3 sacks in the defeat of Boston College 27-3 and senior transfer and resident Mr Popular James Collins would break the previous mark of 5 TD passes set by himself against Oregon by throwing for 6 TD passes in an absolute thrashing of Utah 45-10.

With the defeat of Utah (who was ranked at #23 before their loss to SAU), SAU did the unimaginable.

Ranked #1 in all three polls for the first time in school history, SAU traveled to cross city rivals Holy Cross to play one of the most important Holy War games ever in SAU history as SAU tried to do the unthinkable and finish the season undefeated against the hardest schedule they've ever faced.

Yet, Holy Cross wasn't about to just roll over and let it happen. They came to play football this day, taking a 7-6 lead over SAU at the end of the 1st quarter. Quarter 2 marked a 21-3 explosion by SAU on the arm of freshman backup quarterback Patrick Baas (James Collins would miss most of the game because of flu-like symptoms that prevented him from ever being a real factor). The 3rd quarter looked to be more of the same as SAU intercepted a CHC (College of Holy Cross) pass on their opening drive and took it to the house, extending the lead to 34-3, but CHC wasn't done yet. The 3rd quarter would ultimately be a CHC quarter as they would explode for 17 points themselves, sparked by a 71 yard INT and score by CHC. The 3rd quarter ended with the momentum squarely in CHC's corner down by only 14 points 34-20. Unfortunately for CHC, SAU clamped down on defense and pulled away to ultimately win the game 40-20, completing the unlikely task of going 12-0 for the first time in school history and holding steadfast at a chance for the BCS National Championship game.

The Conference Championship Week would prove to be a showcase of two teams vying for a chance to play in the BCS National Championship game in Clemson and Georgia Tech. Both had spectacular seasons, with Georgia Tech winning the matchup between the two teams earlier in the year (and promptly losing to a Virginia Tech team that Clemson had beaten earlier in the season), but Clemson would have the upperhand this time around, as they squeaked past Georgia Tech 21-17 on their way for a date with SAU for the BCS National Championship.

After the Conference Championship Week, it was also announced that Thomas Moses would be awarded the Best WR of the year Award but it turned out that he would be passed up upon when it came to the Heisman Trophy (where he had lead most of the season by many annalists' projections), with the trophy being awarded to the talented Nebraska RB instead. Also, during that time, it was announced that Thomas Moses would be named a 1st team All-American choice with LB Mark Whitlock and CB Matt Britt adding onto the talented stock of Freshman All-Americans on the SAU roster.

Then came the BCS National Championship Game; the big one; the reason you play the games.

Everyone had Clemson as the clear favorite. Vegas had SAU as 9 point underdogs. Kurk Herbstreit and Lee Corso both picked Clemson to win it. It seemed like everyone outside of Massachusetts thought Clemson was going to win the game:

SAU thought differently though and proved it on the field, turning what could be a once in a lifetime event into a reality as SAU walked away with a 34-17 victory and what's sure to be one of the greatest seasons ever in school history.

Thomas Moses ended the season with new school records for career and season WR stats.

Tommy Mitchell set school records in all rushing categories.

Tony Duncan continued his spectacular college career by extending his school record in tackles and interceptions as did Jeremy Bailey in sacks.

James Collins leaves school as the record holder in all season QB stats after just one season of play.

Season Record: 13-0
    Coach's Poll: #1
    USA Today Poll: #1
    BCS Poll: #1
    Awards Won: Coach of the Year; Best WR
    Bowl Record: 2-1
    Conference Title: None
    National Title: 2012

Wk 1 @ #16 Oregon W 42-13
    Wk 2 @ Boise State W 59-10
    Wk 3 #22 Houston W 16-15
    Wk 4 Bye Bye
    Wk 5 Bye Bye
    Wk 6 #18 Vanderbilt W 31-24
    Wk 7 @ Western Kentucky W 30-13
    Wk 8 @ Indiana W 26-19
    Wk 9 Pittsburgh W 25-24
    Wk 10 UCF W 23-17
    Wk 11 Bye Bye
    Wk 12 @ Hawai'i W 10-6
    Wk 13 Boston College W 27-3
    Wk 14 Utah W 45-10
    Wk 15 @ Holy Cross W 40-20
    BCS Championship Clemson W 34-17
    Last edited by gschwendt; 08-20-2011 at 08:24 PM.

updated all-time information and school record books.