Thread: NCAA Playbook: Defense

• Facebook
  • Display

NCAA Playbook: Defense

There has been a lot of talk recently about zone coverage so I figured I would put up one of my favorite defensive coverages. Don't worry I'll get back to the running game shortly.

Cover 4 (Quarters) Coverage

Defensive Pursuit Rules

I appreciate you breaking down these for us. The only thing im wondering (and it might be the pictures are getting cut off) is that the I form normal and ace slot drawings only are showing 10 offensive players.

I think the pictures may be getting cut off for you. I see 11 players.

Thanks, Ive just been plugging in the extra players based off what you're calling to their side of the field. This is very interesting information and its helping me to better understand the concepts used by the players on the field, but I was wanting to ask a question. When you're playing against someone online or the computer are there certain d line/ linebacker / safety shifts you are utilizing that dictate if you are in (read, alert, combo, or sky?) Are you usering the SS on read, FS on alert, & Will on combo?

We are looking at putting in this coverage. What directs the $ to go to the twins side with the Alert/Sky call vs Twins I formation. $ aligns also lines up on the #3 when the #3 is to the side of the slot in one of your examples.

It's really preference, some teams (TCU) like to align their corners on the wide recievers when the offense alligns with a single tight to one side, they'll play over (walk their corners to the 2-wide side of the field) and keep the safety to the tight end side. Other teams will spin by bringing the strong safety down over the slot and play the corner high like a typical deep safety. The question you must ask, Can my corner be the +1 defender to the strong side and make a tackle in the hole? If the answer is no, you'll want to play with your corners over, if they can mix it up and give the QB different looks.

In the end no matter the alignment the assignment stays the same based on the formation.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneback View Post
    It's really preference, some teams (TCU) like to align their corners on the wide recievers when the offense alligns with a single tight to one side, they'll play over (walk their corners to the 2-wide side of the field) and keep the safety to the tight end side. Other teams will spin by bringing the strong safety down over the slot and play the corner high like a typical deep safety.
    That was one of the things that always amused me about the guys that would rant and rave about how EA needed to have the corner move over against Twins. Ohio State, as far as I've noticed, never moves their corner over. They always rotate the safety. So when people would proclaim it was "wrong", as if it was a 100% hard and fast rule to always move your corners over, I was often amused.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Yea, in my 4-2-5 I would prefer the Safety that's already right there in the slot to stay there and the corner stay on his side, unless the safety is blitzing. In the game if you if you do that they line up in horrible positions.

Has anyone else struggled with stopping the cpu in the Demo? Its an offensive battle every game for me. I usually win, but I have the ball last.

Always enjoy your write ups. There's a lot about this game I still do not know.