• Heat

2 28.57%
  • Thunder

5 71.43%
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011-12 NBA Talk

• Facebook
  • Display
    Sources say the Lakers want BOTH Howard and Paul....

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Sources say the Lakers want BOTH Howard and Paul....
    I could actually see this working though. More so than the Big 3 in Miami. Kobe would be the man, Paul would get him the rock and Howard would dominate the middle.

The main thing that would make this work is Kobe would still be the offense, Paul doesn't need to score to dominate a game.

Interesting. Some rumors are that the Clippers are interesting in CP3 and Howard as well as the Lakers. Could have a little LA battle about to happen. I actually hope, if it were to come down to Lakers or Clippers, that the Clippers were able to steal those two away. I want to see the Clippers start becoming a good team and challenging the Lakers for top spot in LA each year.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Interesting. Some rumors are that the Clippers are interesting in CP3 and Howard as well as the Lakers. Could have a little LA battle about to happen. I actually hope, if it were to come down to Lakers or Clippers, that the Clippers were able to steal those two away. I want to see the Clippers start becoming a good team and challenging the Lakers for top spot in LA each year.
    Yeah, if the Magic and Hornets want to get rebuilding talent for those two the Clippers are the team to deal with.

With this packed 66-game schedule, there is going to be a lot of NBA to watch every night...I can't wait.

Just like with the NFL, I'm sure the NBA can get right back on track. No one talks about the NFL lockout anymore, it's business as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by NatureBoy View Post
    Not so fast, my friend!

NBA commissioner David Stern has killed the New Orleans Hornets’ trade of Chris Paul after several owners complained about the league-owned team dealing the All-Star point guard to the Los Angeles Lakers, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Some owners pushed Stern to demand the trade be nullified, and the Hornets be made to keep Paul on the roster for the foreseeable future, sources said. A chorus of owners were irate with the belief that the five-month lockout had happened largely to stop big-market teams from leveraging small-market teams for star players pending free agency.

LINK

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Not so fast, my friend!

NBA commissioner David Stern has killed the New Orleans Hornets’ trade of Chris Paul after several owners complained about the league-owned team dealing the All-Star point guard to the Los Angeles Lakers, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Some owners pushed Stern to demand the trade be nullified, and the Hornets be made to keep Paul on the roster for the foreseeable future, sources said. A chorus of owners were irate with the belief that the five-month lockout had happened largely to stop big-market teams from leveraging small-market teams for star players pending free agency.

LINK
    Damn you David Stern, keep your big nose out of this!

No, fuck that! That trade is total garbage and I'm glad that Stern (and several of the owners of teams in the league) stepped out to stop that bullshit. What utter trash to see that shit being put out there.

That's funny how I saw Naitch's post and thought "not so fast my friend" as well

Now we know who was crying the loudest in Stern's ear.

Commissioner,

It would be a travesty to allow the Lakers to acquire Chris Paul in the apparent trade being discussed.

This trade should go to a vote of the 29 owners of the Hornets.

Over the next three seasons this deal would save the Lakers approximately $20 million in salaries and approximately $21 million in luxury taxes. That $21 million goes to non-taxpaying teams and to fund revenue sharing.

I cannot remember ever seeing a trade where a team got by far the best player in the trade and saved over $40 million in the process. And it doesn’t appear that they would give up any draft picks, which might allow to later make a trade for Dwight Howard. (They would also get a large trade exception that would help them improve their team and/or eventually trade for Howard.) When the Lakers got Pau Gasol (at the time considered an extremely lopsided trade) they took on tens of millions in additional salary and luxury tax and they gave up a number of prospects (one in Marc Gasol who may become a max-salary player).

I just don’t see how we can allow this trade to happen.

I know the vast majority of owners feel the same way that I do.

When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.

LINK to the article

He's absolutely right though. The amount of money that the Lakers and Houston would save from that trade compared to the players that they are getting (the Hornets get a whole mess of shitty players along with Gasol) is just ridiculous. Everyone is whining about the trade getting nullified, but the WHOLE POINT of the new CBA is to stop small market teams from getting fleeced by big market teams for their star players.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    He's absolutely right though. The amount of money that the Lakers and Houston would save from that trade compared to the players that they are getting (the Hornets get a whole mess of shitty players along with Gasol) is just ridiculous. Everyone is whining about the trade getting nullified, but the WHOLE POINT of the new CBA is to stop small market teams from getting fleeced by big market teams for their star players.
    I see your point, but what happens now? Paul walks and the Hornets get nothing? Gilbert should know how that feels. CP3 wants out and NOH is trying to get something in return. That's smart.

His argument should have been built around the point that the league owns NOH and fellow owners should get approval/veto powers. I don't completely agree with that point myself, but his current argument reeks of sour apples - 'why do other teams have good management and we, I mean the rest, don't?'

Sounds like a deal is almost in place to send Dwight Howard to New Jersey.

Really listen carefully, around the 17 second mark

Here is the article.

http://floppingout.com/?tag=steven-a-smith-nigga
    Last edited by psusnoop; 12-09-2011 at 08:38 AM.

From Darren Rovell:

Spoke to a banker today who also doesn't believe it's in the NBA's interest to move CP3 out until they sell the team.

From Rachel Nichols:

Also got a couple texts from players noting that CP was only star player on union exec committee during labor talks and wondering...

...if this was 'punishment' from owners. Some of those mtgs got pretty heated.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Sounds like a deal is almost in place to send Dwight Howard to New Jersey.
    I know they are moving to new arena in Brooklyn next season but why in the world would anyone want to go to the Nets?

Quote Originally Posted by NatureBoy View Post
    I know they are moving to new arena in Brooklyn next season but why in the world would anyone want to go to the Nets?
    The new ownership has made it clear he is going to spend money to make the team compete. There is already one superstar on the team in Deron Williams, and some decent supporting cast members. Brook Lopez is a beast down low, but I bet he has to be part of the deal with Orlando.

Also, if Howard goes, one more fairly big name could follow him there. Also Howard wants to be in entertainment too...being close to New York enables him to do so.