• Heat

2 28.57%
  • Thunder

5 71.43%
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: 2011-12 NBA Talk

• Facebook
  • Display
    Fuck yes. I have never really cared for Mark Cuban, but it's about time somebody calls out Skip Bayless on his bullshit.

Speaking of Skip Bayless
    Check this link out

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Fuck yes. I have never really cared for Mark Cuban, but it's about time somebody calls out Skip Bayless on his bullshit.
    Yes Cuban was calling out Bayless there but Cuban's larger point was directed at the ENTIRE sport's media. Unfortunately, there is VERY LITTLE to ZERO REAL analysis in ANY sports coverage today.

ESPN the self-proclaimed "world-wide leader in sports" has turned Sports Journalism into nothing more than Stewart Scott catch phrases and jokes. Instead of actually analyzing plays and teaching people about the games we love in stead we get "Booo YAh" or "Back, Back, Back..... Gone!" "Infego" etc...

Moreover, I personally think the coverage from ESPN (and the rest of the sports media) has actually hurt the quality of play on the court/field. Kids now grow up watching this garbage and so they think all that matters is dunks, homeruns, etc....

The NBA is certainly more athletic now but noone in their right mind thinks that today's NBAers were as fundamentally sound as the teams were from years past. Same thing with college basketball. I WEEP when I see today's game and then go online and watch a NCAA tourny game from the 80s or 90s. The athleticism is much better today but the fundamentals/intelligence of today's players is UTTERLY LACKING.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Yes Cuban was calling out Bayless there but Cuban's larger point was directed at the ENTIRE sport's media. Unfortunately, there is VERY LITTLE to ZERO REAL analysis in ANY sports coverage today.

ESPN the self-proclaimed "world-wide leader in sports" has turned Sports Journalism into nothing more than Stewart Scott catch phrases and jokes. Instead of actually analyzing plays and teaching people about the games we love in stead we get "Booo YAh" or "Back, Back, Back..... Gone!" "Infego" etc...

Moreover, I personally think the coverage from ESPN (and the rest of the sports media) has actually hurt the quality of play on the court/field. Kids now grow up watching this garbage and so they think all that matters is dunks, homeruns, etc....

The NBA is certainly more athletic now but noone in their right mind thinks that today's NBAers were as fundamentally sound as the teams were from years past. Same thing with college basketball. I WEEP when I see today's game and then go online and watch a NCAA tourny game from the 80s or 90s. The athleticism is much better today but the fundamentals/intelligence of today's players is UTTERLY LACKING.
    Oh I know, he was repeatedly mentioning all of sports media, which he was valid on every single comment, I just love that it was Skip that he directed a good number of comments towards and brought down the hammer on Skip on a number of comments and occasions.

And I agree completely. The NBA will NEVER be as fundamentally sound as it used to be. It's all about me, my stats, my highlights, getting on the ESPN Top 10, showboating, etc. I'll take a player any day who averages 15 points and 15 assists a game over a player who averages 30 points and 0 to 5 assists. I'll take a team player who passes, sets picks, plays fundamental basketball, and can run actual plays over a "me and my stats" player any day.

Probably part of the reason I'm happier as a Nuggets fan with Carmelo Anthony gone. The Nuggets might have taken a hit with him gone, but I love watching their TEAM basketball instead of Melo throwing up 30-40 shots a game and missing 50%+ of them.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    Speaking of Skip Bayless
    Check this link out
    well, that was at least interesting

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    I'll take a player any day who averages 15 points and 15 assists a game over a player who averages 30 points and 0 to 5 assists. I'll take a team player who passes, sets picks, plays fundamental basketball, and can run actual plays over a "me and my stats" player any day.
    Which is why I have enjoyed watching Lebron play personally.

To touch on you and CLW's point though. Believe that it may have to do with AAU and coaching..that and the general mindset of players today.