Thread: Spread Option/attack?

• Facebook
  • Display

Spread Option/attack?

Does any team in the NFL run a more spread option attack?

Or is that something only NCAA teams work with?

Just finished watching Notre Dame and they looked pretty good. I didn't know if any Pro teams mess with the spread offense much? Or are the Pro Defenses too fast?

Or would it be that in the spread option sometimes your QB runs the ball and they (NFL) teams don't want their QB taking those big hits?

Spread Option Offenses are strictly college for the reasons you listed above (QB injuries and defensive size and speed). Other than the Wildcat formations it is rare to see any type of read option in the NFL. I have seen the Eagles with Vick and Broncos with Tebow late in the year last season call it from time to time. Also Tennessee did every once in a while when Vince Young was there, but he wasn't as dominant with it as he was in college. I will be interested in seeing if Carolina calls some read option plays this year with Cam Newton since he is big enough to take some hits and maybe break a long run or two, but when you pay your QB's tens of millions of dollars it isn't that hard to keep those plays in your playbook.

Agree with WolverineJay. You'll never see that type of offense in the NFL. You get your QB killed. The Philly playbook does have the read-option though.

I do think the spread option can be used tremendously in college for middle tier programs to play above their level of expectation. But I'm really starting to question whether it can legitimately win a game against a great defense. A physical defense can take away the run and force them to pass. Most of those spread-option teams fail miserably when they have to throw the ball as the QB isn't great at it.

if you want to create a playbook with nothing but wold cat and shotgun plays, then you will have your fake spread option...look at the denver playbook for Tebow, the formation is exactly like florida...of course you ran this online all game, you would be a cheeser