57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like it as is

3 5.26%
  • Needs some tweaks

30 52.63%
  • Want a new system

24 42.11%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Recruiting in NCAA 13 - What would you like to see?

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
    I think there are more A+ than you realize.
    Maybe. I think Ohio State was an A+ in one edition, which I still can't understand (not for undergraduate ... graduate is much better for us)

Quote Originally Posted by baseballplyrmvp View Post
    academic prestige is also bottomed out at a C grade. so all 120 schools are ranked in only 6 letter grades. this doesnt even come close to allowing any kind of distinction.
    That is also true, though I can understand why they wouldn't want to label "academic prestige" as a "D-", lol.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

tim, some great stuff....

however, i dont think recruiting should be that in-depth. i'm a recruiting nut. i mostly follow 's recruiting on a daily basis, and while the stuff you listed is accurate in practically every way, i think it'd be overwhelming, even for me. i'm guessing that we share the same opinion that the effort you put into recruiting should equal how much success you have in the game with it. but in this case, i think with that much involvement, it'd turn a lot of people off (especially someone new to the series and the casual gamer).

great concept though, at what it should be, based off of real life recruiting.

I think the big thing for me would be the time it would take to implement it. They already spent basically this entire past development cycle on recruiting and scouting, touching nothing else in dynasty. At that rate, it would be NCAA 15 or 16 before EA should even consider something like this. There are a ton of other things in Dynasty mode that need to be worked on, no way in hell should recruiting dominate 95%+ of the dynasty mode changes and upgrades in two consecutive development cycles.

As I said in the other thread, nice work, TIMBOB.

I like your ideas, welcome to the site.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    As I said in the other thread, nice work, TIMBOB.

I like your ideas, welcome to the site.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah, they are great ideas and a heck of a ton of work put into them. Depending on how they were implemented and put in with an on/off switch and not all forced on everyone (recruiting 25 people already takes me practically an hour from week to week in season, I don't need recruiting to get even longer and longer, especially with the addition of scouting as well), I'd like to see them added, it'd just be a year or two before I'd want EA to consider it, as there are multiple areas in dynasty (coaching carousel and custom conferences being two of the biggest) that very much need changes and additions made to them next development cycle. Recruiting has been worked on and reworked this year, almost exclusively as far as dynasty mode changes are concerned, that's enough for now. Time to focus on other sections of dynasty in NCAA 14.

tim, some great stuff....

however, i dont think recruiting should be that in-depth. i'm a recruiting nut. i mostly follow 's recruiting on a daily basis, and while the stuff you listed is accurate in practically every way, i think it'd be overwhelming, even for me. i'm guessing that we share the same opinion that the effort you put into recruiting should equal how much success you have in the game with it. but in this case, i think with that much involvement, it'd turn a lot of people off (especially someone new to the series and the casual gamer).

great concept though, at what it should be, based off of real life recruiting.
    Yeah, and as I wrote at the beginning of the post, some people think there's already too much involved with recruiting, that's why I'd like to see different modes to select for how in-depth you want recruiting: A) CPU only, B) 5-week postseason, C) In-season + 5-week postseason, or D) In-season + 5-week postseason + off-season. Mode C is the current set-up. The idea behind Mode D is that it's actually embedded within the current off-season tasks we have now, but with additional features. In case you were confused, the junior day and summer camp are just notifications of prospect interest. And you can sim the spring game. Also, the spring practice/training is all simmed as well, but you're given the opportunity to control the development of your players by divvy up the reps each player will get during that simulation. All in all, it's 4 additional "weeks" to recruit on top of the normal off-season.

We know that people are clamoring for the spring game to come back. I could do without the additional recruiting periods, but I really want the spring depth chart idea at the very least, so I can control some aspect of training results.
    Last edited by TIMB0B; 05-30-2012 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    I think the big thing for me would be the time it would take to implement it. They already spent basically this entire past development cycle on recruiting and scouting, touching nothing else in dynasty. At that rate, it would be NCAA 15 or 16 before EA should even consider something like this. There are a ton of other things in Dynasty mode that need to be worked on, no way in hell should recruiting dominate 95%+ of the dynasty mode changes and upgrades in two consecutive development cycles.
    That's what I wondered. I don't know the work involved to get something like this done, but I didn't think it was that much added to begin with. Scouting is something they've never done before IIRC, so maybe that's why it took a while.

(recruiting 25 people already takes me practically an hour from week to week in season, I don't need recruiting to get even longer and longer, especially with the addition of scouting as well)
    Perhaps the off-season recruiting could be limited to just scouting players, therefore you won't have to do both during the season. It would give you the opportunity to truly target the guys you really want when recruiting begins in the season.

Yeah, they are great ideas and a heck of a ton of work put into them. Depending on how they were implemented and put in with an on/off switch and not all forced on everyone (recruiting 25 people already takes me practically an hour from week to week in season, I don't need recruiting to get even longer and longer, especially with the addition of scouting as well), I'd like to see them added, it'd just be a year or two before I'd want EA to consider it, as there are multiple areas in dynasty (coaching carousel and custom conferences being two of the biggest) that very much need changes and additions made to them next development cycle. Recruiting has been worked on and reworked this year, almost exclusively as far as dynasty mode changes are concerned, that's enough for now. Time to focus on other sections of dynasty in NCAA 14.
    There are certainly other areas in this series that need attention that is for sure but this recruiting breakdown is an interesting one nonetheless. With some saying it's already to much and others saying they would like more, what TimBob broke down in is certainly interesting and thus far certainly appeals to both sides. The flexibility to appease both sides in the debate is intriguing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by psusnoop View Post
    There are certainly other areas in this series that need attention that is for sure but this recruiting breakdown is an interesting one nonetheless. With some saying it's already to much and others saying they would like more, what TimBob broke down in is certainly interesting and thus far certainly appeals to both sides. The flexibility to appease both sides in the debate is intriguing to me.
    I guess I'm failing to see how TimBobs breakdown adds too much depth to recruiting. Basically it is just adding 4 calls to the offseason. Where it adds depth is to the existing roster, training, setting depth charts, etc. Which are great ideas and I think would improve those areas greatly.

I do definitely like the idea of having multiple levels/difficulties of recruiting but I don't think they need to be completely different experiences. Instead of having the A,B,C,D plans, you have one plan but utilize the current systems that are in place now with the CPU Assist(just maybe add more depth to that) I think right now the CPU will help add recruits to your board, offer schollies and schedule visits(not completely positive on the list) So for the casual gamer that doesn't want to go through all of the steps of recruiting the basically set their strategy to have the CPU do it for them. The big issue is the CPU sucks at recruiting and doesn't really fill your roster correctly - This should be the starting point.

I guess I'm failing to see how TimBobs breakdown adds too much depth to recruiting. Basically it is just adding 4 calls to the offseason. Where it adds depth is to the existing roster, training, setting depth charts, etc. Which are great ideas and I think would improve those areas greatly.
    It would add more depth to recruiting then there is currently. Maybe this isn't something that should be set in stone per say but it certainly could be something we as a community could try and build off of to pass on to EA.

TimBob mentioned Junior Day Events and adding prospects in February, scouting I'm sure could be tied into that as well. You also get an early release of a Top 100 watch list in February. Then after NSD you have the quiet period and Spring practices starting. Here you can invite recruits to attend your spring game and offer Scholarships. Then after that in June/July you get the official release of the Top 100 (which should fluctuate a little after summer camps). Even these minor things will add another layer to the experience of recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by psusnoop View Post
    It would add more depth to recruiting then there is currently. Maybe this isn't something that should be set in stone per say but it certainly could be something we as a community could try and build off of to pass on to EA.

TimBob mentioned Junior Day Events and adding prospects in February, scouting I'm sure could be tied into that as well. You also get an early release of a Top 100 watch list in February. Then after NSD you have the quiet period and Spring practices starting. Here you can invite recruits to attend your spring game and offer Scholarships. Then after that in June/July you get the official release of the Top 100 (which should fluctuate a little after summer camps). Even these minor things will add another layer to the experience of recruiting.
    I'm not disagreeing that it adds another layer, I was questioning why some were saying that it adds TOO much depth as it's essentially 4 offseason calls.

I'm not disagreeing that it adds another layer, I was questioning why some were saying that it adds TOO much depth as it's essentially 4 offseason calls.
    Oh ok, I thought you were meaning that the other way. My bad.

Yeah anything to add some depth to recruiting right now would be a plus if done correctly. It must be fluid though and not lag from screen to screen.

one thing i'd like to see, would be in really tight recruiting battles, where the kid is a soft verbal to one school, but has several others listed at -1, the leading school should have to do something special in order to get him to commit. whether this is building a 100 point lead, getting him to visit, finally getting the scholarship offer, or have a monster phone call, idk.....but simply having a 250 point phone call should not be enough to separate that school and get the kid to pull the trigger.

maybe they should tweak it so that patient recruits (ones that dont immediately commit), will only commit once they have both a scholarship offer and campus visit. they could still get to the soft commit stage, but they wont pull the trigger and hard commit without having both the scholly and the visit (maybe even just a scholly offer)?

one thing i'd like to see, would be in really tight recruiting battles, where the kid is a soft verbal to one school, but has several others listed at -1, the leading school should have to do something special in order to get him to commit. whether this is building a 100 point lead, getting him to visit, finally getting the scholarship offer, or have a monster phone call, idk.....but simply having a 250 point phone call should not be enough to separate that school and get the kid to pull the trigger.

maybe they should tweak it so that patient recruits (ones that dont immediately commit), will only commit once they have both a scholarship offer and campus visit. they could still get to the soft commit stage, but they wont pull the trigger and hard commit without having both the scholly and the visit (maybe even just a scholly offer)?
    I agree.

I think that these "new" recruits that currently appear in the post-season without any offers (which is unrealistic considering they're 4 and 5-star prospects) should actually be recruits that were once verballed, but have re-opened up their recruiting.

but simply having a 250 point phone call should not be enough to separate that school and get the kid to pull the trigger.
    Likewise, it's frustrating that (at least on the old recruiting system): 1) If you are #2 and -1 on a player, if you don't have a visit upcoming, you probably won't jump the #1 team (unless you're a superhuman recruiting school like Texas). 2) If you're a smaller school and you're #1 on a player, it feels like there is nothing you can do to stop a Powerhouse #2 from overtaking you.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Likewise, it's frustrating that (at least on the old recruiting system): 1) If you are #2 and -1 on a player, if you don't have a visit upcoming, you probably won't jump the #1 team (unless you're a superhuman recruiting school like Texas). 2) If you're a smaller school and you're #1 on a player, it feels like there is nothing you can do to stop a Powerhouse #2 from overtaking you.
    at the very least, a recruit should never commit to a school when there are other schools less than 10 points behind the "leader". the only exception, would be at the end of week 5 recruiting, where he's forced to pick a school.

I'd always like to see more recruiting features implemented. i'd love it to be able to recruit players at a position other than what they're listed (recruit a te for a fullback spot, olb to a mlb, o-line for another o-line spot, etc). that could make recruiting battles for athletes even more fun, as you're calling some recruit to be a receiver, your rival is calling him to be a runningback, and a third guy is calling him to be a safety.....

another recruiting pitch could be "on the field importance." wide receivers considering georgia tech are gonna be told that the receivers are not a feature to their offense. on the flip side, wr's considering SMU are gonna be told that they're gonna have a chance to catch 100 passes next year. this pitch could be user set for each position, but also have a factor in whether or not the kid transfers.

at the very least, a recruit should never commit to a school when there are other schools less than 10 points behind the "leader". the only exception, would be at the end of week 5 recruiting, where he's forced to pick a school.
    Yep. That's exactly what happened to me though. I was #2 on a QB at -1 (along with practically the entire rest of Division I), and we were behind a CPU school that somehow was ahead of me (I believe it was because they had a later visit). They didn't even have a scholarship offer in, yet he ended up picking them, despite the fact that I was getting huge numbers on calls.

Granted, there are a lot of separate issues in what I just described. But recruiting (on the old system, at least) seemed too scripted. Not scripted like the game was running a specific way and out of your control, but ... you could probably take a recruiting snapshot on Week 5 and generally predict who is going to win all of the recruiting battles for the top guys. That shouldn't be, and that's my main contention there.

I would like a few fast, white cornerbacks to recruit

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Yep. That's exactly what happened to me though. I was #2 on a QB at -1 (along with practically the entire rest of Division I), and we were behind a CPU school that somehow was ahead of me (I believe it was because they had a later visit). They didn't even have a scholarship offer in, yet he ended up picking them, despite the fact that I was getting huge numbers on calls.

Granted, there are a lot of separate issues in what I just described. But recruiting (on the old system, at least) seemed too scripted. Not scripted like the game was running a specific way and out of your control, but ... you could probably take a recruiting snapshot on Week 5 and generally predict who is going to win all of the recruiting battles for the top guys. That shouldn't be, and that's my main contention there.
    end of week 5 meaning end of week 5 of offseason recruiting. i'm sure you knew what i was talking about, but someone else might not have picked up on it.