Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Gamestop Sucks thread of Opened New games and Stickers

• Facebook
  • Display

The Gamestop Sucks thread of Opened New games and Stickers

I think this needs to be a full thread because Gamestop has basically turned into a pawn shop and not worthy of your business.

What prompted me to start this was finding out this

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/deus-ex-3-u...1190175p1.html

Now for the hundred other reasons to not shop at Gamestop

100. Stickers on new games
    99. Stickers on old games
    98. Majority of stores in strip mall next to a Walmart
    97. You have to be around a lot of Walmart customers
    96. Would you like to buy Game Informer Magazine
    95. Would you like to buy Game Informer Magazine
    94. Would you like to buy Game Informer Magazine
    93. Would you like to buy the used copy instead
    92. Would you like to buy the used copy instead
    91. Would you like to buy the used copy instead
    90. Opened games sold as new - gutted copies that in many cases were taken home by employees ans played
    89. Selection of new games is very limited and after a year good luck finding a popular title that is new

okay not esactly 100 but I could probably come up with that many. I used to work part time at Ebgames (for employee discount) right after they were bought out by GS and have seen plenty of the shady practices first hand.

STOP giving this company money. You can wait another 12 hours to play Madden for cripes sake. Save yourself some money and buy your EA games at Amazon where you can get $20 off your game and get it on release day for .99 shipping and in most states, no tax.

This has been a public service message brought to you by me.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    I completely agree. Fuck Gamestop. They are terrible.

Only thing I used them for was preorders .... and lately I haven't even used them for that. Going to use them for NBA 2K11 maybe so I can get the Bird cover.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Only thing I used them for was preorders ....
    And with Amazon's deals lately with the credits on preorders you don't even need to use them

GS is often times a necessary evil, just like the upcoming Madden tournament. If you want access to it, you need to preorder from GS. I don't like GS at all because of the crap they pull, but if they have an exclusive I want, I have no problem shopping there. You just have to make yourself clear "THIS IS ALL I WANT" when you're checking out.

Gamefly has been my best friend

GS has their place, and I buy from them on occasion. If there's a game that's out and I want to play immediately, I'd rather walk in and out of there than to hassle with Wal Mart or some other big store. It's sort of a convenience store factor.

I don't know why, but I can't understand from the article what they did. The article says: "Yesterday cloud gaming company OnLive and publisher Square Enix announced a Deus Ex: Human Revolution launch promotion that included a free OnLive version of the game with all PC retail copies."

If people are buying Deus Ex already, what does a free online copy do for them? I know I am probably misunderstanding this. Also, Gamestop sucks huge balls (and I still buy stuff there from time to time).

Quote Originally Posted by OptionMasta View Post
    If people are buying Deus Ex already, what does a free online copy do for them? I know I am probably misunderstanding this. Also, Gamestop sucks huge balls (and I still buy stuff there from time to time).
    In theory, the coupon could be given to a friend.

EDIT: Here's what OnLive's president said:
    "Gamers get the best of both worlds--a physical copy for their home PC and an OnLive cloud gaming copy for instant-play anywhere on an HDTV, PC, Mac, and soon iPad and Android tablets," Perlman said. "Having the option of local or cloud gaming provides unprecedented value and convenience that has never before been available for high-performance AAA titles."
    So, basically, it's a way for OnLive to advertise their service and gain interest from the general gamer public.

What Gamestop did is remove the promotional coupon from every copy in their store. So, if you were interested in the OnLive coupon, you would have to go elsewhere -- except you didn't know that until after you purchased the game.

Here's a new article from 1up, and it goes into detail a little more: http://www.1up.com/news/deus-ex-pc-p...op-onlive-code

Here's the key:
    The reason for this is identified as the included OnLive codes, with the memo reading in part, "As GameStop is developing a streaming service in our Spawn Labs Cloud Gaming Division, the coupon that was included is for a competitive service. We are returning all copies of the PC regular edition to the vendor in agreement with Square Enix."
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 08-24-2011 at 08:27 PM.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Douche. Bags. If you want to recall the games, fine. To open a brand new game, remove something from it, and sell it to someone as new without telling them the code is missing is just .

I see. That's an awfully shady business practice.

its a kids store like toys r us, not much you can do about it. Its not anything most adults will care about

Why do you keep insinuating games are for kids? I don't know the site, but I do know the vast majority of people who play games are over the age of 21. A very large percentage of games require you to be 18 to even buy them. It's not a kid's store by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    Why do you keep insinuating games are for kids? I don't know the site, but I do know the vast majority of people who play games are over the age of 21. A very large percentage of games require you to be 18 to even buy them. It's not a kid's store by any stretch of the imagination.
    Couldn't have said it better myself I OU. If games are nothing but toys and for kids, like ram loves to constantly post what seems like every day, then why the hell are you playing them? Why are on here, on a gaming forum, if games are nothing but toys and are for kids. Enough with the dumbass toys and games are for kids bullshit, it's getting annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Couldn't have said it better myself I OU. If games are nothing but toys and for kids, like ram loves to constantly post what seems like every day, then why the hell are you playing them? Why are on here, on a gaming forum, if games are nothing but toys and are for kids. Enough with the dumbass toys and games are for kids bullshit, it's getting annoying.

i'm making a generalization so dont have a hissy fit. Games are fun but its a majority kid market. Iou , from what i understand you arent even 21 yet so you have a limited perspective on what I'm saying and quite frankly alot of people under 27 are very immature and intellectually inept compared to past forefathers.

No one really cares about games being opened to extract coupons or what ever in a video game store. I'm not bashing the thread. I'm just pointing out it doesnt really matter in the business world

Smooth whats to get upset about lol ? I can play with and say what ever I want about it and have the perspective I choose about it. Its nothing you need to take or make personal LOL. These stores majority market is kids and people under 25 can be considered kids LOL. And only when you get older will you understand what I am saying. LOL you think i'm being insulting or bullshiting when all i'm doing is giving an adult mature true perspective.

I do like sports games,... but I am self aware.

If nobody cares about games being opened by a company's employees in order to extract coupons why is there a thread here about it? Apparently some people do care and they're posting in this thread right now. You may not care about it, however, the mere existence of this thread proves your point that "nobody cares" to be false. Secondly, you point out that removing coupons like Gamestop did doesn't really matter in the "business world." This statement just baffles me. It's business 101 that in order to be successful there needs to be a demand for your product or services. Customers have a lot of options as to where they can purchase their games. If they do things like this that pisses off their customers, at least some of them are going to choose to go elsewhere to buy their video games. In turn, removing the coupons has an impact on the business world that Gamestop operates in and when they do things like this that make their customers unhappy the consequences could very well be negative for them.

Finally, a lot of people over 27 are immature. Age isn't everything in terms of maturity.

I'm 22. I just don't see how being "intellectually inept" has anything to do with which demographic games are aimed for. I especially don't see how YOU are calling ME intellectually inept. It wasn't even a full day ago that I had to decode one of your messages so that someone else could understand.

But anyway, the main point I'm trying to make is that I simply don't understand why you continually call games "toys" and make remarks about how they're developed for kids. I remember reading not too long ago that the average age of a gamer is 37 years old and something like 50%+ of gamers are over the age of 18. Whenever you have HALF the sales coming from people who are adults, I think it becomes rather obvious they're not marketed towards kids.

It's just like how you say NCAA isn't supposed to function like a real football game but rather is a "toy." That is so blatantly wrong that it's not funny. At it's core, it's definitely aimed at being a true to the experience football game.

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    i'm making a generalization so dont have a hissy fit. Games are fun but its a majority kid market. Iou , from what i understand you arent even 21 yet so you have a limited perspective on what I'm saying and quite frankly alot of people under 27 are very immature and intellectually inept compared to past forefathers.

No one really cares about games being opened to extract coupons or what ever in a video game store. I'm not bashing the thread. I'm just pointing out it doesnt really matter in the business world

Smooth whats to get upset about lol ? I can play with and say what ever I want about it and have the perspective I choose about it. Its nothing you need to take or make personal LOL. These stores majority market is kids and people under 25 can be considered kids LOL. And only when you get older will you understand what I am saying. LOL you think i'm being insulting or bullshiting when all i'm doing is giving an adult mature true perspective.

I do like sports games,... but I am self aware.
    First, I'm 24, not "not even 21". And I'm a lot more mature than some of the dumbass adults I know and/or work with. I was mature well beyond my age clear back in junior high and high school. So don't go fucking insinuating that I'm some "immature kid" because I'm younger than 25. I know more dumbass adults who are immature as a fucking 5 year old than I know people who are under 25 and are immature. And actually, no, under 25 is not a kid or teen. Under 18-20, sure. Over 20, no, whether you believe or think that or not. I don't put any credit to anything you say as you have proven yourself, your thoughts and your opinions, as stupid as hell and pointless in past posts, so I don't really give a shit about your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by OptionMasta View Post
    If nobody cares about games being opened by a company's employees in order to extract coupons why is there a thread here about it? Apparently some people do care and they're posting in this thread right now. You may not care about it, however, the mere existence of this thread proves your point that "nobody cares" to be false. Secondly, you point out that removing coupons like Gamestop did doesn't really matter in the "business world." This statement just baffles me. It's business 101 that in order to be successful there needs to be a demand for your product or services. Customers have a lot of options as to where they can purchase their games. If they do things like this that pisses off their customers, at least some of them are going to choose to go elsewhere to buy their video games. In turn, removing the coupons has an impact on the business world that Gamestop operates in and when they do things like this that make their customers unhappy the consequences could very well be negative for them.

Finally, a lot of people over 27 are immature. Age isn't everything in terms of maturity.
    Agreed, and agreed.

For those who prefer to not use the ignore list...

I think I just became a believer in the ignore list.