Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State Football

• Facebook
  • Display

Penn State Football

Read a rumor on the boards that Matt McGloin will be named the starter later this week

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan.

Thoughts?

I just don't like what McGloin offers compared to Bolden. The problem with McGloin is he is just to cocky to know better. Watching the end of the O$U game and the Bowl game was just painful and hard to watch. If McGloin does get the nod, he better produce this year!

As an little note, my contact says BS on rumor and stated he still felt that Bolden would be named the starter. This doesn't however mean they both won't see action early.

We just need a QB to not lose the game for us, someone to take care of the ball and be smart.

I agree that PSU needs someone to take care of the ball. The ground game and defense should be better this year, but if they get lots of turnovers from the passing game it won't make any difference.

well, if NCAA 12 is any indication, Penn State should be better this year..considering last year, they were a B team and this year rated an A team ..theyve never really gotten a stand out QB..Blackledge was the best they ever got

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    well, if NCAA 12 is any indication, Penn State should be better this year..considering last year, they were a B team and this year rated an A team ..theyve never really gotten a stand out QB..Blackledge was the best they ever got
    Um, Kerry Collins was pretty damn good too.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    true..I was just going as far back as I could to find one..but they need that kind of QB when the whole team is good or its just top 25 and nothing more.

true..I was just going as far back as I could to find one..but they need that kind of QB when the whole team is good or its just top 25 and nothing more.

This team isn't anything more then a Top 25 team to be honest. I don't see them competeting for a Top 10 this year, but anything less then 9-3 I'm going to be upset. 8-4 is probably where most feel this team falls but I'm a little bit more optomistic and think 9-3, with a HUGE outside chance of 10-2 but that is more of a pipe dream then anything else.

Hey also don't forget about Matt Senecca

I rooted for the Giants in that SB too, damnit

I'm less optimistic than you, snoop.

I'm less optimistic than you, snoop.
    8-4 with Bolden, 7-5 with McGloin

Upside with Bolden if he learned anything 10-2, to 9-3 possibly. Bolden worst case is 8-4 imo.

McGloin can only get to 8-4 at most and 6-6 at worst.

youre saying you think McGloin would do a worse job ? he will either be the full starter or they will do it by committee and put Bolden in for speed and options. theres no way bolden is starting..unless his learning curve got real big the last 6 months..but he wanted to go bye bye and transfer didnt he ? I have a tad more faith..until the first qtr of the first game.. in McGloin at this point..he can make reads and stay calm

Thw whole divisions in the BIG 10 changes everything now. Once you introduce divisions and a championship game, everything is thrown out the window. I think OSU and MSU will be the most interesting stories to watch this year.

youre saying you think McGloin would do a worse job ? he will either be the full starter or they will do it by committee and put Bolden in for speed and options. theres no way bolden is starting..unless his learning curve got real big the last 6 months..but he wanted to go bye bye and transfer didnt he ? I have a tad more faith..until the first qtr of the first game.. in McGloin at this point..he can make reads and stay calm
    There is no way you can say McGloin can make better reads then Bolden. The only thing McGloin reads better is when to throw to the opposing team.

Bolden dis say he didn't like how he wasn't given a shot once McGloin threw so many picks and felt slighted which was understandable. I'd be pissed too.

I do think Bolden will be named later this but we shall see soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by psusnoop View Post
    Hey also don't forget about Matt Senecca
    Put in Senneca! lol

Whenever our QB in the last several years (whoever it has been) makes a mistake, that is my automatically-yelled command.

To the point, McGloin was a good (sort of) stop-gap while Bolden matured. Should McGloin have started last year? Maybe, maybe not (I wouldn't have started him). He did get us some victories, but they were against teams with absolutely ATROCIOUS defenses. It was very clear, even against those teams with bad defenses, that McGloin was a very limited QB. His greatest strength is probably his confidence. His greatest weakness is probably his confidence. He felt he could do no wrong, it seemed. And that *almost* got him into trouble against really, really bad defenses like Michigan's defense and Northwestern's defense. But against good defenses, he was shown to be really bad.

Hopefully McGloin has improved on his own, because maybe Bolden still isn't ready. I doubt Jay Paterno has been able to improve either QB via coaching (lol... Jay coaching...).

I am a Bolden guy. I say give him the reins and let him learn under fire. His best game of last year was the one in which he got injured. I can only hope that when he is clearly healthy that he really is as good as he seemed in the first half of that Minny game.
    Last edited by cjg225; 08-23-2011 at 05:59 PM.

in the name of God, please find a kicker

Yea, let's hope Fera's suspension isn't long and he can come in and make an impact.

A matchup against #2 Bama at 3:30pm is going to be fun.

psuexv and I drank way to much Indiana State

It was inspiring to see that Bama QB's combined to throw 4 picks. With the experienced secondary PSU has this could be an area of strength for the Lions.

Quote Originally Posted by psusnoop View Post
    There is no way you can say McGloin can make better reads then Bolden. The only thing McGloin reads better is when to throw to the opposing team.

Bolden dis say he didn't like how he wasn't given a shot once McGloin threw so many picks and felt slighted which was understandable. I'd be pissed too.

I do think Bolden will be named later this but we shall see soon enough.
    well, its obvious that was a year ago and you expect them to grow, especially the 3rd and fourth year guys. They were too conservative in this game and should have aired it out more to give QBs confidence...but it looks like platooning the QBs could be what they will do....at least thats the impression I got

LOL, Penn State has a defense...but every other game of other teams I watch QBs look, make progressions and reads find a guy and fire it in there...Penn State's got 2 guys who look like they are throwing a cantaloupe in the general direction of something that looks blue to them LOL and thats only when Penn State decides to finally throw because they run too often LOL