Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me buy a TV

• Facebook
  • Display

Help me buy a TV

Okay I have an old AOC 32" (yeah it was from Radio Shack) 720P HDTV that I am going to replace.

This is my gaming TV and due to limited space it either needs to be 32" or a max of 37". Price range up to $1000.

Wants

1080P
    Multi HDMI ports

Don't really need but would not mind having

3D (very limited option due to the TV size range) Also I play mostly games on this and never watch movies. Is 3D the wave of the future in gaming?

Do not want

Smart TV - I do not want an online TV. I have more than enough ways to get Netflix and Youitube

Any suggestions? Also what is the big difference between an LCD and LEDLCD TV?

Thanks

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    LEDLCD TVs are supposedly going to last longer and their colors are crisper/brighter, but I have a normal flat LCD Philips 49" and I fuckin' love it. I'd definitely recommend it. Has 4 HDMI ports, 1080p, not a shitty Smart TV, and not a 3D tv (which, I personally think is a complete waste of money as 3D is going to die) and has a decent price range of $899.99 - $1000.00 depending on where you look. Supposedly the blacks aren't as black as other TVs, but I don't see any of that at all as I use it for my PC monitor as well and my desktop wallpaper is just a solid black color and it doesn't look grey at all (me thinks people don't know what the hell they are doing when they adjust their settings).

Sounds like what I am looking for, minus the size. I have yet to play 3D on a console. Probably will die out and after seeing it in action on the 3DS I was underwhelmed.

This is the TV I have, http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-LC37SB24...&s=electronics, have had it for about two years now. It's worked perfectly, never had a problem. 2008 model, 37 inch widescreen LCD HDTV. I can't remember the price of it, but I think, back in December 2009, it was maybe $650-$700. Can't remember if it was that price due to a sale at the time or if that was the retail price, but by now, I'm sure you could find it well under $800. The technical details of it:

Product Features
    37" HDTV LCD TV slim design with a distinctive small foot print.
    Built-in ATSC / QAM / NTSC Tuners for DTV and analog TV viewing
    2 HDMI™ Inputs for convenient connection to digital devices
    PC Input conveniently turns your TV into a PC monitor
    800:1 Contrast Ratio

Technical Details
    Brand Name: Sharp
    Model: LC37SB24U
    Display Technology: LCD
    Display Size: 37 inches
    Image Aspect Ratio: 16:9
    HDTV Compatible: Yes
    Speakers Included: Yes
    Depth: 9.1 inches
    Overall a great TV in my personal experience, however, the one problem, in regards to your original post, is that this TV is only 720p, whereas you said you wanted 1080p. Also depends on how many HDMI ports you're looking for, as this one has only 2. If you're willing to continue with just a 720p and forgo the upgrade to 1080p, and only need 2 HDMI ports, you could easily find this TV someplace for well under $1,000.
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 07-27-2011 at 11:31 PM.

Bought my 47' Vizio last year for $1,000. LCD, 1080p, 240hz and i love it. With a little research i bet you could get it cheaper now.

Vizio's are very nice TV's. Just because their prices are cheaper doesnt mean the TV is cheaply made.

If space is a limiting factor, just tear down a wall and buy this TV.
    Mitsubishi 60 inch 1080p 3D Home Cinema TV - $770

I have it and couldn't be happier.

Holy shit, that's retarded cheap for a 3D TV. Damn.

Wow that is a steal but unfortunately if I tore down a wall, that TV would end up being the wall.

I will probably end up going to Best Buy and have seen a couple options.

Samsung - 32" Class / 1080p / 120Hz / LED-LCD HDTV

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...&skuId=2234045

Samsung - 37" Class / 1080p / 60Hz / LCD HDTV

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...&skuId=2122397

I like the Samsung due to all the inputs available. Guess I will have to see the LED_LCD in person and see if it is worth the extra $. It has all the smart features that I do not want but I prefer the size as 37" will be a tight fit.

Best Buy is over priced my man.

I know but I live in BFE and this is the only electronics store (excluding a Walmart and a few Radio Shacks) within 150 miles. Just not a fan of shipping a TV to the house.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    I know but I live in BFE and this is the only electronics store (excluding a Walmart and a few Radio Shacks) within 150 miles. Just not a fan of shipping a TV to the house.
    Look at Newegg. I know it sucks to ship a TV, but their shipping is usually, at the most, $15 for 3 day shipping and they use UPS (or you can pay extra for them to use Fedex instead). In my opinion, you can't go wrong with Newegg (I use them for pretty much all of my electronic purchases that they actually carry).

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Look at Newegg. I know it sucks to ship a TV, but their shipping is usually, at the most, $15 for 3 day shipping and they use UPS (or you can pay extra for them to use Fedex instead). In my opinion, you can't go wrong with Newegg (I use them for pretty much all of my electronic purchases that they actually carry).
    I agree, I really like using Newegg as well.

Plus shipping a TV these days isn't that big of a deal anymore. I'd do it in a nanosecond.

Not to necro a thread or anything, but instead of starting a new one, I thought I'd post in this one.

My Philips 49' LCD HDTV just died on me and I've been lookin' around for somethin' newer but I'm tryin' to decide if I want to go smaller than 49'. It was a BIT big for my purposes considering I used it as my computer monitor as well (thank god I had an extra CRT sitting around to fall back on with it dead now). Any suggestions? I don't particularly want to spend more than ~$650 or $700 since it just seems ridiculous to me to have to pay that much for a normal old LCD HDTV. I wouldn't be against a LED one instead of LCD, but that shit is still too damn expensive for the sizes from what I've seen.

Mine is a couple of years old now but I have a LG HDTV 1080P 50inch... however, it's a plasma. For HD sports plasma is awesome but for non HD channels it is grainy up close. However, overall I love the TV like part of the family!

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Not to necro a thread or anything, but instead of starting a new one, I thought I'd post in this one.

My Philips 49' LCD HDTV just died on me and I've been lookin' around for somethin' newer but I'm tryin' to decide if I want to go smaller than 49'. It was a BIT big for my purposes considering I used it as my computer monitor as well (thank god I had an extra CRT sitting around to fall back on with it dead now). Any suggestions? I don't particularly want to spend more than ~$650 or $700 since it just seems ridiculous to me to have to pay that much for a normal old LCD HDTV. I wouldn't be against a LED one instead of LCD, but that shit is still too damn expensive for the sizes from what I've seen.
    I got a 47" Vizio for around $575 from a furniture mart around Lincoln. I love the TV.

I always use CNET for reviews and it helped me land on the Samsung 59PND7000 and the picture is absolutely stunning.

Yeah the Vizios are nice. We have two 32" that we got for steals that we use in the bedroom and in the basement. I got the one from Walmart 2 years ago on a special they were running for $289. Here's a 37" Vizio LCD at Walmart for $388 http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vizio-37-E371VL/15992336

Well fuck. Looks like I'm going to be in the market for a new TV when I get my refund check. There was an incident in the house last night, and now the right lower corner of the TV screen is fucked up. The cost it'll probably take to get a new screen for the TV is not worth it, so buying another one it appears. At least I can still watch TV on this one, although with a bunch of colored lines on the right side of the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Well fuck. Looks like I'm going to be in the market for a new TV when I get my refund check. There was an incident in the house last night, and now the right lower corner of the TV screen is fucked up. The cost it'll probably take to get a new screen for the TV is not worth it, so buying another one it appears. At least I can still watch TV on this one, although with a bunch of colored lines on the right side of the screen.
    73" for $1000 work?
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A5128561&ba ynote_bnrank=1&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch
    Need coupon code: HS3W8LFB7M52LT

I've got the 60" and love it.