Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nebraska Cornhuskers Thread

• Facebook
  • Display
    Your friends are correct, ram.

OC Shawn Watson is a finalist for the Vanderbilt job and is currently there interviewing and visiting the area. It sounds pretty serious.

Nebraska has put up a new recruiting website. The video on the page that's linked is pretty awesome and so are the ones on the facilities and gameday pages. The facilities one I found particularly interesting, it's a tour of some of the facilities (players lounge, locker room, trophy room) with Prince. Also there are videos throughout the site and all seem to be from "The Bo Pelini Show".

http://www.thisisnebraska.com/football.php?sport=fb

so..one of the players is actually graduating, decides to party because of it. And they more then likely suspend him from playing in the Bowl game

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    so..one of the players is actually graduating, decides to party because of it. And they more then likely suspend him from playing in the Bowl game
    Well there is that minor detail of the DUI you're overlooking a bit but yeah. I assume you're referring to Thenarse?

Yeah considering he was arrested on DUI charges and driving on a suspended license....

http://www.expandtheirexperience.com/

The video in that link has a picture at the 56 second mark of what the stadium will look like after the new addition on East Stadium. Looks pretty sweet to me but those seats on top are gonna be COLD in the winter with that north wind whipping through there!

It's going to be a long off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    It's going to be a long off-season.
    Understatement of the century! I HOPE it's one of trying to integrate a new offensive staff into the program but something tells me I shouldn't hold my breath for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwizzy View Post
    Nebraska has put up a new recruiting website. The video on the page that's linked is pretty awesome and so are the ones on the facilities and gameday pages. The facilities one I found particularly interesting, it's a tour of some of the facilities (players lounge, locker room, trophy room) with Prince. Also there are videos throughout the site and all seem to be from "The Bo Pelini Show".

http://www.thisisnebraska.com/football.php?sport=fb
    That's mightily impressive. Does Nebraska have an A+ in facilities in NCAA Football 11? They should in the next version.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    That's mightily impressive. Does Nebraska have an A+ in facilities in NCAA Football 11? They should in the next version.
    Yeah they do and have at least since our last major upgade a few years back i think, maybe longer.

Wishful thinking I know but, here is the kind of guy I think Nebraska needs to go out and get instead of Watson. If they are convinced the spread is the way they would like to head, which I am not convinced is smart, this is the kind of guy they need.

TROY’s offense:
    20th Scoring (34.1 ppg)
    54th Rushing (158 yds/G)
    12th Passing (295 yds/G)
    17th Total (453 yds/G)

Coordinator is a guy who was a big time OC in Division II for a while apparently. Looks like a younger guy, originally from Louisiana.
    http://www.troytrojans.com/coaches.a...&path=football

Don’t like that it’s more pass heavy than run heavy but I think that’s probably more a result of the conference than anything. The Sun Belt isn’t exactly well known for shutdown corners as we’ve shown over the last couple seasons.

I have some sources, take this info FWIW because I wont reveal who they are... Hearing Wats, Gilmore, and Sanders are out.
    Also hearing from message boards that possibly Ed Warinner, KU's former OC to come in as OC. Also, lots of talk about Frost coming back in some capacity as well..
    Last edited by Kwizzy; 02-02-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Wats, Gilmore, Sanders not at recruiting dinner tonight, giving credence to your info.

Current message board Info. I would clarify that this is info put together from reputable sources, not just rumors.

Offense
    Jason Phillips (co-OC, WR) - Currently Houston's OC
    Scott Frost (RB) - Currently Oregon's WR coach
    Tim Beck (Co OC,QB)
    Barney Cotton(OL)
    Ron Brown (TE)

Defense
    Carl Pelini(DC,DT)
    John Papuchis(DE/ST)
    Ross Els (LB/ST) - Currently Ohio's LB coach
    Corey Raymond(CB,S) - Briefly supposed to be Indiana's new CB coach but coming to NE because he gets the whole secondary.

Don't know how I would feel about Phillips. He obviously is a good coordinator but I think he's a little too pass heavy for what we have said we're trying to do. I just hope that he's able to continue to develop the run game we started to implement complimenting that w/ an explosive passing game. If he can do that, I'm on board.

Various reports indicate the Nebraska staff is being shaken up. Looks like Shawn Watson; Ted Gilmore and Marvin Sanders are out.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Various reports indicate the Nebraska staff is being shaken up. Looks like Shawn Watson; Ted Gilmore and Marvin Sanders are out.
    Good thing we have you to alert us way ahead of the fact JB!

Thoughts on the new staff anyone?

I like Beck as OC. Would've preferred him as Co-OC with Frost but if we couldn't get him I like the choice that Bo made. I think no matter who Bo would've hired, there is gonna be a great deal of addition by subtraction with getting rid of Watson (especially his play-calling) and Gilmore. Also, having one seamless identity on offense will be huge. Trying to combine a WC passing attack with a spread running game & whatnot was just not my idea of a potent offense.

I think adding a second OLine coach is a great call though I don't know much about Garrrison. Again, I think the oline will benefit significantly just from a consistency of technique and purpose in the new scheme. With Offensive line positions accounting for 5/11 players on the field at any given time it makes sense to have a second coach working with them.

Ron Brown coaching RBs is fine with me. Perhaps he can solve some of those fumble issues.

Fisher is the wild card here. I'm glad they got a guy they're comfortable with and I also like that he is younger & energetic. I love that he was a very successful HS coach & turned a nothing school into a power in a very short amount of time (similar to Beck's background). Going to give Bo the benefit of the doubt on the lack of major experience & hope he works out. Big job ahead of him trying to identify playmakers on this team at WR though.

Raymond is a rising star from what I can tell. Strong recruiter with ties to SEC country and a good coach. Lack of experience isn't too concerning to me because Bo has worked with him in the past at LSU and will be able to help out some. Sanders is a BIG loss here though, hopefully Raymond can handle it.

Ells is a good hire IMO. With a new secondary coach who has never coached an entire secondary before Bo needed someone who could step in and handle the job on his own. This hire allows Bo & Carl to focus on the defense, and team, as a whole more. Only doubts are in his recruiting ability.

Overall I like that Bo goes after guys who seem to be good teachers. After all that's the most important part of a coach's job. We've seen great Xs & Os guys who couldn't teach a lick & so it didn't matter how brilliant they were. More than anything I give Bo credit for realizing that these changes to be made & doing it.
    Last edited by Kwizzy; 03-03-2011 at 09:43 AM.

I'm like you in that I think almost anyone would be a step-up from Watson in calling plays. Not sure what to expect exactly as some of these guys are still wet behind the ears, but I have faith in Bo. I wish he had hired fresh when he got the job versus keeping any Callahan leftovers.

Kwiz, one thought on the second O-Line coach ... are their responsibilities going to be any different? I was a lineman in high school and I struggled with technique ... would hate to think of the mess that might happen if each of the two coaches had their own ideas.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

no they will both coach all of the lineman but the new Oline coach has been a GA on the team for the last couple years so there shouldn't be any problem with them teaching different techniques. Like I said, the line should benefit from having 1 new CONSISTENT system in place. The last couple years, they have been trying to mesh a west coast passing game with elements of spread & power run games & as a result the Oline was trying to learn a dozen different techniques. If anything the technique they are coaching should be MORE consistent now.