Page 2 of 85 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Smooth Pancakes' Coaching Carousel Career

• Facebook
  • Display
    Like the history set-up alot,.....going to take it if you dont mind

Also dont know who has checked mine, but I set my self up recruiting areas (states) and thats all I can recruit right now until I get a HC job. These may change but I only go after players that are in "my" state and I let the CPU recruit the rest

Quote Originally Posted by texacotea View Post
    Like the history set-up alot,.....going to take it if you dont mind

Also dont know who has checked mine, but I set my self up recruiting areas (states) and thats all I can recruit right now until I get a HC job. These may change but I only go after players that are in "my" state and I let the CPU recruit the rest
    Appreciate the comment man. And feel free to take and use whatever you want in your own dynasty! I definitely like having the history set-up. Allows both myself and readers/followers to take a look at how my coach's career has progressed over the years, where he's been, what records he's had, what kind of contracts he has had and how well he did with them, even his highs and lows in job security ratings. Definitely gives that "full picture" snapshot of the coaching career over the entire history of the dynasty.

I've been following your dynasty, definitely enjoying it, though I do need to start posting in your thread some more. And I like that idea for recruiting. I may have to borrow that idea for my dynasty.
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 07-18-2011 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Appreciate the comment man. And feel free to take and use whatever you want in your own dynasty! I definitely like having the history set-up. Allows both myself and readers/followers to take a look at how my coach's career has progressed over the years, where he's been, what records he's had, what kind of contracts he has had and how well he did with them, even his highs and lows in job security ratings. Definitely gives that "full picture" snapshot of the coaching career over the entire history of the dynasty.

I've been following your dynasty, definitely enjoying, though I do need to start posting in your thread some more. And I like that idea for recruiting. I may have to borrow that idea for my dynasty.
    Do that, on both parts....I just think that it gives an added toughness that way. Granted not any of the recruits coming in are that good but I have to fill both sides of the ball and just do it in my "regions"

Do that, on both parts....I just think that it gives an added toughness that way. Granted not any of the recruits coming in are that good but I have to fill both sides of the ball and just do it in my "regions"
    Nice. I'm definitely going to get that incorporated into my dynasty. I really like that idea. Granted where I am right now, about 95% of my recruits are from Florida with a couple from Georgia and elsewhere, but as I move up the ranks over the years to places with more of a national recruiting reach, that would be a great way to give that sort of "limited to my role" feeling, having only a designated area of states to recruit from while an OC instead of just recruiting the entire US. It'll also make it more of a challenge only being able to go after recruits from certain areas instead of anywhere.

Nice. I'm definitely going to get that incorporated into my dynasty. I really like that idea. Granted where I am right now, about 95% of my recruits are from Florida with a couple from Georgia and elsewhere, but as I move up the ranks over the years to places with more of a national recruiting reach, that would be a great way to give that sort of "limited to my role" feeling, having only a designated area of states to recruit from while an OC instead of just recruiting the entire US. It'll also make it more of a challenge only being able to go after recruits from certain areas instead of anywhere.
    Exactly

Exactly
    Yeah, I'm one of those people, even if I'm starting out at a horrible, and therefore tough, school to coach at, I like to add restrictions and roadblocks along the way. Makes things just a little more challenging than normal, and it also really extends the longevity of the dynasty.

Makes for a longer, slower career advancement, keeping things interesting, especially as the NCAA very well could look completely different in 10 season down the road. Some of the teams that rule the game right now, might be the bottom feeders then, while the bottom feeders now are the ones on top. Those changes over the years and seasons will definitely also add the fun factor.

So I'm starting to have some serious buyer's remorse about making this an online dynasty instead of offline dynasty.

Besides the coaching carousel issue that Pastapadre wrote about, I'm also discovering that coaching carousel actually sort of sucks in online dynasty. I'm currently simming a test OD as OC of Alabama to test out this contract and coaching carousel issue that PP wrote about, and I just went through the coaching carousel after the first season. CC in online dynasty seriously sucks bad. All the coaching changes, all the movement, by teams and coaches not involving you takes place all behind the scenes.

You basically go in and are "On the Clock" and just sit there accepting or declining offer after offer until there are no other teams interested in hiring you, and that's it. None of the suspense of teams maybe being interested in me. None of the mystery factor of what this team will do, or who that team will hire. Nothing. It's just sitting there accepting or declining a bunch of contract offers and that's it.

Considering this dynasty is about following the career of my coach, half the fun of this dynasty (besides trying to win with various teams and successfully complete contracts) is the coaching carousel and the complete unknown of what's going to happen and what job offer I might have next. Did I just turn down my best offer or is there a better one coming up later? In online dynasty CC, there is none of that. All you see are teams that are offering you a contract, and you can at least see the next team with an offer in line behind the team you're currently on. Which means you at least know for a fact if the next offer you are receiving is better or worse than the current one.

For me, that's not fun. That's boring, dull, time-wasting tasks. I don't want to sit there just declining offer after offer, know exactly what team is offering me a job next. I want to be sucked in to the full exciting, immersive, great unknown of coaching carousel.

As I am only three games into this dynasty, I am seriously considering starting over with an offline dynasty, and just replacing all the contract info, all the scores in my coach history, and all the game recap posts that I already made, with the new results from the offline dynasty, so the flow of everything will still be exactly like it is now, just it'll all be updated with the offline dynasty info, instead of having those three game posts sitting there and then starting over with new posts for each game.

I'm going to have to think about this tonight and decide what I want to do. If anyone has any opinions on what you think of everything and what I should do (stick it out with the suck ass coaching carousel setup in online dynasty, or start over in offline dynasty so I can experience the full fun and excitement of CC like it was meant to be in offline), let me know what your own thoughts are about all this.

Alright, I've given this some thought for the past 16-17 hours. As much as I hate the thought of having to play North Texas, Louisville, and UCF all over again, especially after my moment when playing UCF when I quit out with 30 seconds left after spending 5-10 minutes typing up the scoring summary and game stats and thinking that I was done with the game, a screw up that cost me just a mere 10-0 loss on my record, and instead led to a 27-6 loss in the fully completed second game.

But, as I want the FULL experience of coaching carousel, not that watered down crap they call coaching carousel in Online Dynasty, I have no choice but to start over from the beginning with an offline dynasty. I'm still going to keep my FIU OD going since I'm already three games into it, but I'm going to turn this dynasty thread officially into an offline dynasty report. I'm going to try to at least get all three games up through UCF replayed today, so come tomorrow or whenever I get the chance, I can continue on posting from where I previously was in my schedule.

Alright, my new offline FIU dynasty is now set up. I just updated the coaching goals in my coaching history post. My new offline dynasty contract is three years instead of two years like in the OD, however, I took a big hit on my goals. These new goals aren't as nice, nor do I get any good impact rewards for passing them.

Here was my old two year contract and goals in my Online Dynasty FIU dynasty.

Florida International Two Year OC Contract Goals

And here are my new goals in the three year contract with FIU in my new offline dynasty.

Florida International Three Year OC Contract Goals

I traded out my 6 arrow Pass Impact reward for a 6 arrow Fail Impact penalty. Traded away my 4 arrow Pass Impact rewards for a couple additional arrows in my Fail Impact penalties through the goals. But, granted, it is a three year contract instead of only two years, so that is a decent little trade off.

The one thing that I do hate about this new contract, is that I now have a goal of getting 7+ passing touchdowns in one season. Through three games in my FIU OD, I don't/didn't even have one! I can't pass for crap once I get inside a team's 15 yard line. So that one has me slightly worried. Same with the 10+ points per game. FIU does not exactly have a high scoring offense, especially with me as OC, as ashamed as I am to admit that.

So this just got a little more interesting with these new goals, that take away goals from my strength of rushing, and adds goals dealing with my weakness of passing.
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 08-06-2011 at 11:17 PM.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Work on doing some playaction stuff with the FB leaking out of the backfield. Even with the crazy powerful flats defense now, you should still have a solid chance of getting a few to the FB in the flats off of playaction for a TD or two. The PA Power O is one of my favorites out of I-Form and Strong-I (not to mention, power O being quite nice).

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Work on doing some playaction stuff with the FB leaking out of the backfield. Even with the crazy powerful flats defense now, you should still have a solid chance of getting a few to the FB in the flats off of playaction for a TD or two. The PA Power O is one of my favorites out of I-Form and Strong-I (not to mention, power O being quite nice).
    Nice! Thanks for the tip, I'll make sure to remember that.

yes, establish the run and then PA will open up. Def had it happen a couple times this past yr. And if Christian can throw for 10 tds then Uncle Rico wouldnt have a prob at all

I think it was the right decision to move to an offline dynasty. Since you are going to put 10+ seasons into the dynasty it really is an easy decision to make. Repeating 3 games is a small price to pay for putting up with a CC that you won't be happy with.

I opted to go with an offline dysnasty instead of online for the same reason. Just not happy with how CC turned out in online dynasty.

yes, establish the run and then PA will open up. Def had it happen a couple times this past yr. And if Christian can throw for 10 tds then Uncle Rico wouldnt have a prob at all
    Oh, I've had no problem establishing the run. The run has been my savior for actually getting more than 4 or 5 first downs a game. Though I do need to try more PA. I haven't done it very often, so I'll need to start working that into my offensive scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by strattjw View Post
    I think it was the right decision to move to an offline dynasty. Since you are going to put 10+ seasons into the dynasty it really is an easy decision to make. Repeating 3 games is a small price to pay for putting up with a CC that you won't be happy with.

I opted to go with an offline dysnasty instead of online for the same reason. Just not happy with how CC turned out in online dynasty.
    Yeah, when I discovered exactly what Coaching Carousel is like in Online Dynasty, that just completely killed my joy. I understand they have to have it set up a certain way due to multiple people having to go through it all, but if anything, at least when doing it as a single player online dynasty, they should have had it coded in there somewhere where it would go through the full CC like in offline.

But I agree, Repeating 3 games is definitely a small price to pay. I would have been supremely pissed if I had played an entire season and then got to CC and found out what it was like. I would have thrown my controller in just plain disappointed anger/rage at that point.

I'm at least going to intentionally throw the Louisville and UCF games, even if I end up playing better and have a chance to win them. I already lost to them officially in the OD at the time, so I'm making sure my record remains at best 1-2. North Texas is going to be the wild card game for my record. If I beat them in the offline dynasty game, then I'll leave my record at 1-2. If I lose to them in that rematch, then I'm going to take the loss and drop my record to 0-3. So the best I'll be is 1-2 with the NT win and the Louisville/UCF losses. The worst I'll be is 0-3 with NT moving from a win to a loss.

Just a way for me to keep things fair in the overall season, so I can't sit there replaying those three games, get lucky, and go "oh, look! I'm now 3-0!", lol.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Oh, I've had no problem establishing the run. The run has been my savior for actually getting more than 4 or 5 first downs a game. Though I do need to try more PA. I haven't done it very often, so I'll need to start working that into my offensive scheme.
    Couple of things to help you with your PA passing (since I used to be nothing but a undercenter Pro style offense kind of guy and basically never used Shotgun before '10):

Whatever hand your QB throws the ball with, is always the way you want the QB to roll out from the PA. doing opposite of that will result in a sack like 75% of the time, at the least. The amount of time it takes your guy to turn from faking the ball to being set and ready to throw the ball in the opposite side of his handness is increased 2.5 times compared to doing a fake and roll out toward the side that his handness is.

When doing a PA pass, ALWAYS slide the offense line toward opposite direction of where the run is being faked (so toward the direction that the QB is rolling out). It might sometimes result in a free blitzer, but, 99 out of 100, it helps TREMENDOUSLY with pass protection for PA passes. The defense is usually going to collapse toward the runner instead of immediately coming at the QB, which, usually results in them getting tangled up on the offensive lineman because of the sliding of them away from that side.

Try to not use PA passes that have the runner you are faking the ball to actually go out for a pass instead of staying in to block after the fake. It seems to result in a sack more often from PA passes of those types than ones that have the faked runner staying in to block.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Couple of things to help you with your PA passing (since I used to be nothing but a undercenter Pro style offense kind of guy and basically never used Shotgun before '10):

Whatever hand your QB throws the ball with, is always the way you want the QB to roll out from the PA. doing opposite of that will result in a sack like 75% of the time, at the least. The amount of time it takes your guy to turn from faking the ball to being set and ready to throw the ball in the opposite side of his handness is increased 2.5 times compared to doing a fake and roll out toward the side that his handness is.

When doing a PA pass, ALWAYS slide the offense line toward opposite direction of where the run is being faked (so toward the direction that the QB is rolling out). It might sometimes result in a free blitzer, but, 99 out of 100, it helps TREMENDOUSLY with pass protection for PA passes. The defense is usually going to collapse toward the runner instead of immediately coming at the QB, which, usually results in them getting tangled up on the offensive lineman because of the sliding of them away from that side.

Try to not use PA passes that have the runner you are faking the ball to actually go out for a pass instead of staying in to block after the fake. It seems to result in a sack more often from PA passes of those types than ones that have the faked runner staying in to block.
    Nice. Appreciate the tips guys. I'm heading into my North Texas rematch right now, so I'm going to definitely include this tips into my offense here.

I'm going to have to start editing the jump rating for linebackers I think. This freaking jumping, leaping linebacker crap is seriously pissing me off right now. At halftime against North Texas, I'm currently 13 for 27 passing, which is a pretty fair number. But of those 14 incomplete passes, at least 11 of them have been due to some linebacker coming leaping/jumping out of freaking nowhere to swat down the pass. Some of these passes, there wasn't even anyone near my damn receiver, and all of sudden, once I throw the ball, here comes this linebacker from 5+ yards away, jumping through the air to knock down the pass.

It starting to seriously piss me off. The jumping linebackers were very rarely an issue I had when I was playing these games in Online Dynasty. But now in offline dynasty, every pass I have to deal with these jumping douches.

Basmare
    Yeah, I have the same problem. Dropped passes and swats everywhere (playing with MTSU).

The North Texas rematch has been posted. And after a game like that one was, I'm not sure I'm able to mentally put myself through another game tonight or not. That game has completely drained me at the moment.

Louisville rematch has been posted. Went from receiving just a decent 16 point loss the first time around, to receiving a 28 point whooping this time.