Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3575838485
Results 1,681 to 1,694 of 1694

Thread: Smooth Pancakes' Coaching Carousel Career

• Facebook
  • Display
    Taking a look around the nation, in the Top 25, #1 Ohio State just barely squeaked past Iowa 30-28, running their winning streak to an absurd 61 wins in a row. At this point, will Ohio State ever lose again? And how many goats will have to be sacrificed by the opposing team to do it?

#2 Miami (FL) juiced Syracuse 38-10. In the upset of the week, Tulane stunned #3 and previously 5-0 Ole Miss with a 44-38 overtime victory. #4 Michigan escaped Nebraska 42-37. #9 Georgia Tech neutered #5 Clemson 45-28. #6 Oklahoma shellacked previously unbeaten Hawaii 48-10. In runner up for upset of the week, TCU knocked off #7 Baylor 28-14. In third place for upset of the week, Florida International plastered #8 Auburn 49-30.

#10 UCLA got past UAB 45-31. Kentucky defeathered #11 South Carolina 49-33. Kansas shocked #14 West Virginia 39-37. #15 Oregon fought off Colorado 43-40. #17 just edged by Tennessee 31-30. #18 Fresno State survived Army 21-18. #19 Washington upset #12 Kansas State 23-19. #20 Boise State handled Nevada 35-13. Virginia knocked off #22 Louisville 35-28. Previously winless Georgia State shocked #23 Notre Dame, ruining their 5-0 record. #24 Washington State held off Stanford 35-28. #25 USC scalped Utah 45-34.

It was a rough week for top 25 teams, as the #3, #5, #7, #8, #11, #12, #14, #22 and #23 teams all lost.

For our readers, JeffHCross, #1 Ohio State improves to 5-0 (2-0 Big Ten) with a 30-28 win over Iowa, their 61st win in a row. Morsdraconis, #14 West Virginia drops to 4-2 (1-2 Big 12) with a 39-37 loss to undefeated Kansas. Souljahbill, Southern Miss improves to 2-3 (1-0 C-USA) with a 27-24 overtime win over winless Louisiana Tech. Jaymo, Arizona State drops to 2-3 (1-2 Pac-12) with a 23-21 loss to Oregon State. LeeSO, #8 Auburn falls to 3-2 (2-0 SEC) with a 49-30 loss to Florida International. SCClassof93, #11 South Carolina drops to 3-3 (1-3 SEC) with a 49-33 loss to Kentucky. Other teams of interest, Arkansas State remains 2-2 (0-0 Sun Belt) with a bye week. Florida International improves to 3-1 (0-0 C-USA) with a 49-30 upset of #8 Auburn. Navy improves to 2-1 (1-1 American) with a 34-23 win over Air Force. Tulsa falls to 2-3 (2-1 American) with a 46-28 loss to Connecticut.

In Mountain West action, #6 Oklahoma slaughtered Hawaii 48-10, #18 Fresno State slipped past Army 21-18, #20 Boise State poached Nevada 35-13, San Diego State speared Utah State 28-14, New Mexico feasted on New Mexico State 41-10 in the Rio Grande Rivalry. San Jose State shocked Cal 44-41 in overtime, and Navy shot down Air Force 34-23.

Taking a look at the new Top 25 Coaches Poll, in a shocking surprise, Miami (40 first place votes) jumps the Buckeyes and take over as the #1 team, Ohio State (21 votes), despite winning 61 games in a row, drops to #2, Michigan climbs one to #3, Georgia Tech jumps five spots to #4 and Oklahoma moves up one to #5. Oregon leaps nine ranks to #6, UCLA climbs three to #7, Clemson drops three spots to #8, Georgia jumps eight spots to #9 and Texas moves up three to #10. Fresno State jumps seven spots to #11, Arizona climbs four to #12, Washington leaps six spots to #13, Baylor falls seven to #14 and Boise State rises five to #15. Ole Miss plummets thirteen spots to #16, Kansas State drops five to #17, Michigan State climbs three to #18, TCU enters the poll at #19 and Auburn sinks twelve spots to #20. Washington State climbs three to #21, South Carolina drops eleven ranks to #22, USC jumps two to #23, West Virginia falls ten spots to #24 and Texas A&M (302 points) enters the poll at #25. Dropping out of the poll this week were Louisville (from #22) and Notre Dame (from #23). Both Louisville and Notre Dame were in the poll for just one week, entering the poll last week, only to immediately drop right back out this week. Looking at Others Receiving Votes, Florida State (135 points) is #26, followed by San Diego State (93), Nebraska (76), Florida (20) and Louisville (15) to round out the Top 30. Also getting points this week was Kansas (14), good enough for 31st.

Taking a look at the new Top 25 Media Poll of the year, just like the coaches poll, 61 wins in a row don't get you any respect, as Miami (38 first place votes) jumps one to become the new #1 team, Ohio State (22 votes) drops one to #2, Michigan (1 vote) remains #3, Georgia Tech climbs five to #4 and Georgia (2 votes) leaps six to #5. Oklahoma climbs two to #6, UCLA moves up three to #7, Oregon (2 votes) vaults nine spots to #8, Clemson drops four to #9 and Texas moves up two to #10. Baylor falls seven to #11, Fresno State jumps seven spots to #12, Arizona climbs three to #13, Washington moves up four to #14 and Boise State climbs five to #15. Ole Miss drops ten spots to #16, TCU enters the poll at #17, Kansas State falls four to #18, Michigan State climbs two to #19 and Auburn plummets thirteen spots to #20. Washington State moves up three to #21, Texas A&M jumps three to #22, USC enters the poll at #23, South Carolina falls eleven spaces to #24 and West Virginia (297 points) falls ten spots to just barely hang on at #25. Dropping out of the poll this week were Louisville (from #22) and Notre Dame (from #23), who immediately leaves the poll the very next week after entering the poll. Looking at Others Receiving Votes, Florida State (179 points) is #26, followed by Nebraska (121), Florida (111), Louisville (55) and Kentucky (54) to round out the Top 30. Also getting points this week were Vanderbilt (34) and San Diego State (2).

A look at the Heisman race, West Virginia QB Kevin Gates is #1 (LW: #1), Washington State QB Lee Foster is #2 (LW: #3), Georgia HB Chris Walters is #3 (LW: #5), Michigan State QB Jordan Norton is #4 (LW: #2) and UCLA QB Mitchell Slaughter is #5 (LW: NR). Dropping off the Heisman Watch list this week was Arizona QB Adam Parrish (LW: #4).

Welcome back, buddy. I got back into NCAA 14 too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    Welcome back, buddy. I got back into NCAA 14 too.

Yeah, I've been itching to dive back into NCAA for nearly a week now. I wanted to play one or two games on the 4th, but my 360 was unplugged and didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to figure out which plug led to which electronic and what I could and couldn't unplug. I eventually had a chance to sort things out yesterday afternoon and was able to dive back in.

Not sure if I'll get a game played tonight like I originally planned. Now that it's no longer hotter than Satan's asshole here, I gotta mow after work. Between that and cooking dinner, it might be 8pm or later before I'd have a chance to sit down and start a game.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Yeah, I've been itching to dive back into NCAA for nearly a week now. I wanted to play one or two games on the 4th, but my 360 was unplugged and didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to figure out which plug led to which electronic and what I could and couldn't unplug. I eventually had a chance to sort things out yesterday afternoon and was able to dive back in.

Not sure if I'll get a game played tonight like I originally planned. Now that it's no longer hotter than Satan's asshole here, I gotta mow after work. Between that and cooking dinner, it might be 8pm or later before I'd have a chance to sit down and start a game.
    Good to see you back at it. If this game was backwards compatible I would play it all the time but sadly it's not. However getting it set up is just not worth the time hassle. I've accepted that College Football on consoles is dead. I still dream what could have been on our current gen consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Good to see you back at it. If this game was backwards compatible I would play it all the time but sadly it's not. However getting it set up is just not worth the time hassle. I've accepted that College Football on consoles is dead. I still dream what could have been on our current gen consoles.
    Oh god, I would kill to have NCAA 14 be backwards compatible on either the Xbox One or PS4. It's a bit of a pain to play it, because I have to play it on my old ass 360, running it through the HDMI pass through on my One. I especially wish it would show up backwards compatible some day as I fear the day my 360 dies as it's closing in on 9-10 years old.

But, as long as my 360 still runs, I'll still play NCAA. And now that my month of hell is over at work (3 weeks of 5:30am starts at work, pushing between 9-12 hours a day, 5 days a week), I hope to dive back in a couple evenings this week and keep working on this season.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah, my 360 is hooked up in one of the guest rooms and it’s sole purpose is to be my NCAA 14 player. I even have a wired controller so that don’t have to bother with batteries.

Yeah, my 360 is hooked up in one of the guest rooms and it’s sole purpose is to be my NCAA 14 player. I even have a wired controller so that don’t have to bother with batteries.

I hooked up my PS3 after this discussion and found out all of the controllers are broke. I ordered two cheap knockoffs on Amazon so if the mood strikes me I may try and fire up a game this week.

Game Six

Game Story

--- Back home after a hard fought loss against undefeated San Diego State, the Aggies needed to get things turned around, sitting at 2-3 on the season and an early 0-1 in conference play. It wasn’t about to get any easier as San Jose State would come into the contest at 4-1 on the season. The Spartans were a tough team to decipher. They opened up their year with an overtime victory over Colorado before losing to Alcorn State. They would then follow that with wins over Iowa State, Colorado State and an overtime win at Cal. Their wins suggest a talented team that has earned that 4-1 record, but that puzzling loss to Alcorn State also suggest that their record may be inflated due to facing opponents with a combined 8-13 record thus far. San Jose State won the coin toss and elected to kick first.

Jon Morris would return the kickoff out to the 25 yard line and give the ball over to the offense to start the game. Benjamin Silva would take the first down handoff, rushing up the middle for a gain of three yards, followed by a six yard dash to leave us facing third and one. Silva would get the call again on third down, coming through with a five yard carry to pick up a first down at the 39 yard line. Silva would keep us moving forward on first down with a three yard rush, before an attempted pass from Pat Williams intended for Nate Williams was broken up, leaving third and long. The third down pass intended for Adam Washington would likewise be broken up at the first down line, bringing the offensive drive to an early end. An 8 yard return by Luis Parks on the 32 yard punt by Freddie Arnold would give San Jose State the ball at their own 33 yard line.

It wouldn’t take long for the Spartans to get moving as Jesse Lewis would take the handoff on first down and burn our defense for a 25 yard gain, giving them a first down at our 43 yard line. A handoff to James Payne on first down would go backwards on the next play as defensive end Steve Jones would come plowing into the backfield, tackling Payne for a loss of five yards on the play. The Spartans would move even further backwards as Josh Stanley ended up sacked for a loss of eight yards by defensive tackle Scott Flanagan, leaving San Jose State facing third and 23. The third down play would result in negative yards yet again, as the ball came out of Stanley’s hands as he was hit, only to be grabbed out of the air by Jesse Lewis, who was promptly tackled for a six yard loss on the play to force the Spartans to punt on fourth and 29. A 14 yard return by Silva on the 38 yard punt would give us the ball at our 38 yard line.

Silva would get our new drive started with a four yard gain around the left end, before being stood up for no gain on the next play, leaving us with third and six. The third down pass to Tristan Muhammad would be complete this time, but it would only go for a gain of two yards, forcing us to punt once more on fourth and four. An 11 yard return by Parks on the 42 yard punt would give San Jose State the ball at their 25 yard line.

A delayed rush by the quarterback Stanley would go absolutely nowhere on first down, as our blitz would quickly bring him down for a two yard loss on the play, only to be followed up by a sack for a loss of six yards, quickly putting the Spartans in a hole, facing third and 18. Going deep down the left sideline on third down, Stanley would watch his underthrown pass be intercepted by freshman cornerback Aaron Rush, giving us back possession of the ball at the SJSU 46 yard line.

Taking over after the interception, we would again turn to Silva to get the drive started on first down, picking up a gain of three yards on the play. A second down play action pass intended for Washington was very nearly intercepted over the middle, leaving third down. Going back to Washington on third down, Williams would connect this time along the left sideline for a gain of 16 yards and a first down at the Spartans 27 yard line. Silva would get the call on first down, gaining three yards on the carry, followed by a two yard rush to leave us facing third and five. Walter Johnson would keep us moving on third down, pulling in a pass from Williams for a gain of eight yards and a first down at the 14 yard line. Silva would get the rock on first down, rushing forward for a gain of six on the play. Silva would need only one more play to find pay dirt, running straight up the middle and pushing the pile of bodies in front of him forward with his legs for an eight yard touchdown to give us a 7-0 lead with 33 seconds left in the first quarter.

A 21 yard kickoff return by Parks would give San Jose State the ball at their 25 yard line. Unfortunately for the Spartans, they wouldn’t even be able to snap the ball without moving backwards, as a false start would quickly push them backwards five yards. They would quickly make that up though as a 17 yard pass over the middle to Robert Thomas would give the Spartans a new set of downs at their 37 yard line. Lewis would get the ball on first down, but he would be met in the backfield for a loss of one yard on the play. And that would be the final play of the first quarter as the clock hit all zeros.

Starting the second quarter, San Jose State lined up facing second and 11 from their own 36. Going deep in the air down the left sideline, Stanley would again find his pass intercepted, this time by Jeremy Brown to give us the ball back at our 44 yard line.

Lining up on offense after the interception, we came out firing as the first down pass intended for Jon Morris was incomplete, just overthrown a bit too much along the sideline. Williams would come back with a pass on a dime to Greg Miller in heavy coverage, good for 15 yards and a new set of downs at the SJSU 42. Silva would get the call on first down, but was only able to gain two yards after a linebacker beat his block and filled the hole. The second down play action pass intended for Miller was nearly intercepted, leaving us facing third and long. Another pass, this time intended for Williams, was again incomplete, leaving us with fourth down from the 39. Unfortunately the punt by Arnold would be shanked, going out of bounds at the 31 yard line for a whopping eight yard boot.

Lewis would get the Spartans offense started on the ground with a two yard carry around the right end, followed by a screen pass to Thomas good for a gain of 15 yards and a first down at the 48. A first down option attempt would fail for the Spartans as Stanley was quickly met and brought down for a loss of four yards on the play. A handoff to Lewis on second down would also go backwards for a loss of six yards on the play to leave third and 20. A third down pass intended for Zach Ross was thrown into double coverage and nearly intercepted, forcing the Spartans to punt on fourth and long. An 11 yard return by Silva on the 38 yard punt gave us the ball at our 35 yard line.

A first down handoff to Silva would only gain two yards, as the Spartans weren’t shy about bringing the blitz in the early downs this game. A second down pass to Johnson would go for a gain of 11 yards, moving the chains to the 48 yard line. Another rush by Silva would go for three more yards, followed by an incomplete play action pass intended for Williams to leave third and long. Miller would keep our drive alive with a pass reception for eight yards and a first down at the SJSU 41. A first down rush by Silva would gain seven yards on the play, followed by a carry for a gain of three yards to bring up third and inches. Silva would again get the call on third down, rushing for four yards and a first down at the 27. Silva would keep us marching forward with a six yard carry on first, followed by a carry for a loss of one yard as he was quickly met in the backfield, leaving us with third and five. A third down pass by Williams would result in absolute disaster as the ball intended for Silva would be intercepted by ? and returned 77 yards before being tackled at the last moment at the one yard line. A facemask penalty on the tackle would have little effect, as the Spartans would take over on first and goal from our one yard line.

Lewis would get the ball on first down, only to be tackled for a loss of two yards on the play. Stanley would keep the ball on second down, and quickly end up tackled for a five yard loss himself, leaving San Jose State facing third and goal from the eight yard line. In probably our greatest defensive stand of the season, a screen pass to Lewis would only gain five yards and the Spartans would be forced to settle for a field goal after starting the drive on the one yard line. The 21 yard field goal by Mike Thomas was good, making our lead 7-3 with 1:17 left until halftime.

A 25 yard kickoff return by Silva would give us the ball at our 23 yard line with only 1:14 left on the clock. A first down pass deep over the middle would be complete to Morris for a gain of 19 yards, quickly getting our offense moving to the 42 yard line. Another pass, this time to Miller over the middle, would go for 17 more yards and another first down at the SJSU 41. Williams would find Miller again, this time for a 14 yard completion and a first down at the 27 yard line with 29 seconds left on the clock, upon which we called our first timeout. A deep pass intended for Washington was broken up inside the five yard line. The second down pass intended for Morris was nearly intercepted. The third down pass intended for Johnson would be intercepted this time by cornerback Chris Tucker, giving San Jose State the ball at their 33 yard line.

With only 14 seconds left on the clock, the Spartans surprisingly came out passing deep on first down, the pass broken up inside our 30 yard line. Stanley would drop back to pass on second down, only to end up sacked for a loss of seven yards, leaving third and 17. Since San Jose State was still trying to throw deep and not just kneeling it and calling it a half, we called our second timeout to give our defense another shot at Stanley on third and long and four seconds left. This time the Spartans would just run the ball on third down, with Lewis being met for no gain on the play, sending us into halftime with a 7-3 lead over San Jose State.

Opening up the second half, a 26 yard kickoff return by Parks would give the Spartans the ball at their 26 yard line to start the third quarter. Lewis would get the call on first down to start the drive, rushing for a gain of two yards. A QB keeper by Stanley would gain 11 yards thanks to a pair of missed tackles, giving the Spartans a first down at the 39. Lewis would break containment around the left end on first down, rushing for a gain of 13 yards and moving the chains once more to our 48 yard line. A first down rush by Parks would pick up three yards, followed by a two yard gain by Lewis to bring up third and five. A quick pass to Ross would only gain one yard, forcing the Spartans to punt on fourth and four. The punt by Bryan would sail 42 yards into the end zone for a touchback.

Lining up at our 20 yard line following the touchback, we again turned to Silva to get our drive started, sprinting forward for a nine yard gain on first down, followed by a huge 28 yard dash up the right sideline, giving us a first down at the SJSU 43 yard line. Silva would keep things rolling with a five yard carry, before a two yard gain would leave us facing third and three. Leaving our drive in the hands of Silva, he would come through huge with an 11 yard carry, moving the sticks to the 26 yard line. A first down rush by Silva would gain only one yard on the play. A play action pass to John Waters would be nearly intercepted, leaving us with third and nine. A pass to Miller on a comeback route would go for a gain of 17 yards down to the eight yard line. A facemask penalty on cornerback George Smith on the tackle would result in half the distance to the goal, setting us up with first and goal from the SJSU four yard line. Silva’s first down rush would result in no gain on the play, followed by a rush for no gain once again on second down, leaving us with third and goal. The third down pass intended for Washington would end up being nearly intercepted in the end zone, forcing us to settle for a field goal as San Jose State would make a defensive stand of their own. Max Thompson would nail the 21 yard field goal down the middle, giving us a 10-3 lead with 4:01 left to play in the third quarter.

A 22 yard kickoff return by Parks would give San Jose State the ball at their 25 yard line for their next drive. A rush by James Payne would result in a two yard loss on the first down play, before a handoff straight up the middle by Parks would pick up 13 yards and a first down for the Spartans at their 35. Stanley would keep the ball on first down, gaining two yards on the carry, before Tim Hall would break containment and race up the right sideline for a gain of 20 yards and a first down at our 43 yard line. Parks would keep the Spartans moving forward with a three yard gain on first down. Our defense would continue to suck as Hall torched us for a 34 yard rush straight down our throats, giving San Jose State a first and goal at our six yard line. Parks would get the ball on first down, rushing for a gain of three yards. Second and goal should have resulted in a touchdown as a play action pass resulted in our blitz leaving Patrick Sanders completely alone in the end zone over the middle, but he would drop the pass and force the Spartans to line up on third and goal from the three. This time the Spartans would find the end zone as Parks would take the ball off tackle to the left and waltz into the end zone untouched for a three yard touchdown, tying the game 10-10 with 1:28 left in the third quarter.

A 40 yard kickoff return by Silva would give us the ball at our 37 yard line for our next drive. A first down rush by Silva would go for a gain of three yards, followed by another three yard rush to leave us facing third and four. Johnson would keep us alive with a six yard reception, giving us a first down at the 49 yard line. Silva would pick up four yards on a first down carry, as that would bring the third quarter to an end.

We would get the fourth quarter started with a rush on second and six, as Silva would race forward for a gain of nine yards and a first down at the SJSU 38 yard line. Silva would only manage a single yard on the next play. Getting a little tricky on second down, Silva would receive a pitch from Williams on the snap, only to throw the ball himself to Washington for a gain of 12 yards and a first down at the 26. Going back to the ground on first down, Silva would fight and then body surf his way to a 10 yard carry, leaving us with second and inches. A seven yard rush by Silva on the next play would set us up with first and goal form the nine yard line. Silva would pick up four yards on the first down carry, followed by a rush for no gain to leave us with third and goal from the five. Going into the air on third down, the pass intended for Tyson Taylor was incomplete and we would be forced once again to settle for a field goal. The 23 yard field goal by Thompson would just squeak inside the left upright, giving us a 13-10 lead with 6:08 left in the game.

A bunch of dumbasses failing to tackle the ball carrier allowed Parks to return the kickoff 42 yards out to the SJSU 42 yard line. A late pitch to Parks would go for a gain of 26 yards on first down, giving the Spartans a quick first down at our 33 yard line. Looking to pitch it again on the next play, our defense wouldn’t give Stanley the chance, quickly tackling him for a loss of four yards to bring up second and 14. Parks would get the ball on second down, only managing a gain of three yards on the carry to leave third and 11. Going into the air, Stanley would connect with Sanders and while the catch was short of the first down, Sanders would manage to fall across the line during the tackle for a gain of 11 yards and a new set of downs at our 22 yard line. A first down handoff to Payne would result in a three yard loss on first down. Our coverage would force Stanley to hold onto the ball for too long on second down, sacking him for a loss of eight yards and leaving the Spartans facing third and 21. A rushed pass to would land harmlessly incomplete in the middle of the field, bringing up fourth and very long for San Jose State with only 3:48 left to play in the game. Going for it on fourth down, Stanley would sail a pass deep into the end zone, a pass that was very nearly a touchdown. The ball would hit Thomas in his hands, but he would bobble it and our secondary would break the pass up, narrowly avoiding disaster and forcing a turnover on downs with 3:43 left to play.

Taking over following the turnover on downs at our 34 yard line, our mission was simple, just run out the clock and walk away with the win. Silva got the ball on first down, only gaining two yards on the carry. A second down rush by Silva would pick up three yards, leaving us facing third and five. Taking a chance through the air on third down, Williams would manage to connect with Washington for a gain of 15 yards and a first down at San Jose State’s 47 yard line. That would also force the Spartans to call their first timeout of the half with 2:14 left on the clock. Silva would get the call on first down, picking up three yards on the play. A second timeout by San Jose State would freeze the clock with 2:11 to go. A huge nine yard rush by Silva would give us a new set of downs at the 34 yard line of the Spartans, their third and final timeout stopping the clock with 2:08 to play. Silva would get the ball on first down, plowing forward for a nine yard carry on the play, which would also put him over the 1,000 yard mark for the season. A four yard rush by Silva would clinch the victory as we would pick up a first down at the SJSU 21 yard line with 1:20 left to play in the game. Two kneel downs by Williams would run out the clock on a very hard fought 13-10 victory over San Jose State.

With the win, we improve to 3-3, 1-1 in Mountain West action. With the loss, San Jose State drops to 4-2, 1-1 in Mountain West play. Up next, it's back on the road to visit the New Mexico Lobos. New Mexico enters the game at 3-3, 1-1 in Mountain West action. The Lobos opened their season with a 56-35 loss at #23 Texas A&M, beat Tulsa on the road 45-14 and lost to Illinois 31-28. New Mexico then reeled off consecutive victories with a 40-35 win at UNLV and a 41-10 win over New Mexico State, before losing 34-27 to Nevada, giving Nevada their first win of the season.

Final Score
    13, 10

Stat(s) of the Game:

Utah State Offense - A rough game for Williams who would end up 12 of 26 for 149 yards and two interceptions. Most of the passing yards for Williams came on only two or three drives where we were able to actually move the ball through the air. Otherwise the passing game was largely silent. Silva had another fantastic game on the ground, rushing for 198 yards on 42 carries and one touchdown. Silva also completed one pass on a trick play action play, good for a 12 yard completion. Receiving, only five receivers caught a pass today, with six in total targeted. The leading receiver was Miller, who ended up with 71 yards on five receptions. Johnson, Washington and Morris all had double digit yards through the air.

Utah State Defense/Special Teams – Other than the drive in the third quarter when San Jose State scored their lone touchdown, when our defense could do nothing to stop or slow their offense down, today was a great performance. Middle linebacker Justin Dunn led the way with 9 tackles, including three for a loss, and one sack. Cornerbacks Jeremy Brown and Aaron Rush had both interceptions for the defense, while defensive tackle Scott Flanagan had two sacks for the day. The biggest moment for the defense came in the second quarter, following a 77-yard interception return by San Jose State to our one yard line. Despite having first and goal from the one, San Jose State would fail to get into the end zone and would even go backwards, forced to settle for a field goal. If the defense gives up a touchdown on that series, it likely ends up being a whole different ball game.

Utah State Kicking – A pretty quiet day for Max Thompson, who would go 2 for 2 in field goals, with kicks of 22 and 23 yards, as well as 1 for 1 in PATs.

Scoring Summary

Team 1st Quarter 2nd Quarter 3rd Quarter 4th Quarter Final Score
    0 3 7 0 10
    7 0 3 3 13

Time Team Result Play Score
    First Quarter
    0:32 Touchdown B. Silva, 8 yard run (M. Thompson kick) 7-0
    Second Quarter
    1:16 Field Goal M. Thomas, 21 yard field goal 7-3
    Third Quarter
    4:00 Field Goal M. Thompson, 22 yard field goal 10-3
    1:27 Touchdown L. Parks, 3 yard run (M. Thomas kick) TIED 10-10
    Fourth Quarter
    6:07 Field Goal M. Thompson, 23 yard field goal 13-10

Game Stats

San Jose State Stat Utah State
    10 Score 13
    10 First Downs 20
    144 Total Offense 355
    31 - 102 - 1 Rushes - Yards - TD 44 - 194 - 1
    6 - 13 - 0 Comp - Att - TD 13 - 27 - 0
    42 Passing Yards 161
    4 Times Sacked 0
    2 - 9 (22%) 3rd Down Conversion 9 - 16 (56%)
    0 - 1 (0%) 4th Down Conversion 0 - 0 (0%)
    0 - 0 (0%) 2-Point Conv 0 - 0 (0%)
    2 - 1 - 1 (100%) Red Zone - TD - FG 3 - 1 - 2 (100%)
    2 Turnovers 2
    0 Fumbles Lost 0
    2 Intercepted 2
    18 Punt Return Yards 25
    109 Kick Return Yards 89
    271 Total Yards 469
    3 – 39.7 Punts - Average 3 - 27.7
    2 - 9 Penalties 1 - 1
    13:48 Time of Possession 26:12

Utah State Coach Goals

Goal XP Reward Completed
    Win a Game 100 x1
    Score a Touchdown 25 x1
    Force a Turnover 25 x2
    Rush for 100 Yards 25 x1
    Kneel Last Minute Q4 While Ahead 10 x1
    3+ Sacks 50 x1
    Opponent Under 150 Rush Yards 50 x1
    Opponent Under 300 Pass Yards 50 x1
    100% Red Zone Efficiency 50 x1
    Score 21 or More Points 50 x1
    350+ Offensive Yards 50 x1
    10+ First Downs 50 x1
    4+ 3rd Down Conversions 25 x1

Utah State Contract Goals Update

Goal Expectations Progress
    Target Wins Per Season 8 3

Job Security Status

100%

Taking a look around the nation, in the Top 25, #2 Ohio State romped Illinois 56-17, running their winning streak to an absurd 62 wins in a row. At this point, will Ohio State ever lose again? And how many goats will have to be sacrificed by the opposing team to do it?

#3 Michigan manhandled Rutgers 48-20. #4 Georgia Tech outlasted Notre Dame 31-24. #5 Oklahoma seared #10 Texas 40-34. Arizona State went into Eugene and knocked off the previously undefeated #6 Oregon, 40-37 in overtime. #7 UCLA lambasted UTEP 41-7. #8 Clemson escaped Louisville 45-38. #9 Georgia remains perfect against Missouri 35-21. #11 Fresno State keeps rolling along, rolling over Colorado State 31-7.

#13 Washington got past Stanford 35-28. #15 Boise State survived Hawaii 31-23. #20 Auburn knocks off #16 Ole Miss 34-24. #17 Kansas State outdueled #24 West Virginia 49-42. Iowa State knocked off #19 TCU 25-21. #21 Washington State squeaked past Utah 45-42. #22 South Carolina topped Arkansas 45-21. #23 USC beat Colorado 38-19. #25 Texas A&M dropped Mississippi State 35-21.

For our readers, JeffHCross, #2 Ohio State improves to 6-0 (3-0 Big Ten) with a 56-17 win over Illinois, their 62nd win in a row. Morsdraconis, #24 West Virginia drops to 4-3 (1-3 Big 12) with a 49-42 loss to #17 Kansas State. Souljahbill, Southern Miss drops to 2-4 (1-1 C-USA) with a 42-28 loss to Rice (who is 5-1 so far). Jaymo, Arizona State scores the upset of the week as they improve to 3-3 (2-2 Pac-12) with a shocking 40-37 overtime upset on the road at #6 Oregon. LeeSO, #20 Auburn improves to 4-2 (3-0 SEC) with a 34-24 win against #16 Ole Miss. SCClassof93, #22 South Carolina improves to 4-3 (2-3 SEC) with a 45-21 win over Arkansas. Other teams of interest, Arkansas State remains 2-2 (0-0 Sun Belt) with a bye week. Florida International improves to 4-1 (1-0 C-USA) with a 30-25 win over North Texas. Navy drops to 2-2 (1-2 American) with a 38-19 loss at Tulsa. Tulsa improves to 3-3 (3-1 American) with a 38-19 win over Navy.

In Mountain West action, #11 Fresno State hammered Colorado State 31-7, #15 Boise State escaped Hawaii 31-23, Utah State edged out San Jose State 13-10, Wyoming topped UNLV 28-21, Air Force knocked off undefeated San Diego State 31-21 and winless Nevada gets their first victory over the year over New Mexico, 34-27.

Taking a look at the new Top 25 Coaches Poll, Miami (38 first place votes) remains #1 team, Ohio State (21 votes), despite winning 62 games in a row, remains #2, Michigan (1 vote) remains #3, Oklahoma moves up one to #4 and Georgia (1 vote) jumps four spots to #5. Georgia Tech drops two ranks to #6, UCLA remains #7, Fresno State climbs three to #8, Clemson falls one to #9 and Boise State leaps five to #10. Arizona drops one to #11, Washington falls one to #12, Baylor moves down one to #13, Texas falls four to #14 and Kansas State climbs two to #15. Michigan State moves up two to #16, Auburn climbs three to #17, Oregon plummets twelve spots to #18, Washington State moves up two to #19 and South Carolina climbs two to #20. USC jumps two toe #21, Ole Miss drops six to #22, Texas A&M climbs two to #23, Kansas enters the poll at #24 and Florida State (279 points) enters the poll at #25. Dropping out of the poll this week were TCU (from #19) and West Virginia (from #24). Looking at Others Receiving Votes, Florida (196 points) is #26, followed by West Virginia (106), TCU (103), Kentucky (86) and San Diego State (1) to round out the Top 30.

Taking a look at the new Top 25 Media Poll of the year, Miami (37 first place votes) remains the #1 team, Ohio State (24 votes) remains #2, Michigan (2 votes) remains #3, Georgia (1 vote) climbs one to #4 and Georgia Tech falls one to #5. Oklahoma remains #6, UCLA remains #7, Fresno State (1 vote) leaps four to #8, Clemson remains #9 and Boise State jumps five to #10. Baylor remains #11, Arizona climbs one to #12, Washington moves up one #13, Texas drops four to #14 and Kansas State climbs three to #15. Auburn jumps four to #16, Michigan State climbs two to #17, Oregon plummets ten to #18, Washington State moves up two to #19 and Texas A&M jumps two to #20. USC moves up two to #21, Ole Miss drops six to #22, South Carolina climbs one to #23, Florida State enters the poll at #24 and Florida (271 points) enters the poll at #25. Dropping out of the poll this week were TCU (from #17) and West Virginia (from #25). Looking at Others Receiving Votes, Kansas (233 points) is #26, followed by TCU (173), Kentucky (165), Vanderbilt (141) and West Virginia (113) to round out the Top 30. Other teams also getting points this week include Arkansas State (45), Louisville (37) and Florida International (7).

A look at the Heisman race, West Virginia QB Kevin Gates is #1 (LW: #1), Washington State QB Lee Foster is #2 (LW: #2), Georgia HB Chris Walters is #3 (LW: #3), UCLA QB Mitchell Slaughter is #4 (LW: #5) and Ohio State QB James Gates is #5 (LW: NR). Dropping off the Heisman Watch list this week was Michigan State QB Jordan Norton (LW: #4).

Yes!!!!

Yes!!!!

I have been having an itch to get back into NCAA Football for weeks now, just either never had time due to my schedule, dealing with issues getting my Xbox 360 to actually turn on, or I would get home after work, plan to spend the evening playing the next game in my dynasty, only to end up dozing off in front of the TV for an hour or two and end up no longer having enough time to get a game in. Thankfully I was finally able to play last night. I won't be able to the next couple nights, but I'm hoping maybe Sunday or Monday I can settle down and play some more NCAA and get the New Mexico game played.

I'm planning on playing the New Mexico game this afternoon, and maybe I can also squeeze in the Colorado State game later tonight.

Just real quick, taking a look at the mid-season (at least for me being halfway through my schedule) Mountain West standings.

In the Mountain Division, #10 Boise State (6-0, 2-0) leads the way, followed by Air Force (3-2, 1-1), Utah State (3-3, 1-1), New Mexico (3-3, 1-1) and Wyoming (2-3, 1-1), while Colorado State (2-3, 0-2) sits in last place.

In the West Division, #8 Fresno State (6-0, 2-0) sits on top, followed by San Diego State (5-1, 1-1), Hawaii (4-2, 1-1), San Jose State (4-2, 1-1) and Nevada (1-4, 1-1) while UNLV (1-4, 0-2) brings up the rear.

Right now, this year is shaping up to be a top 10 conference championship game showdown between Boise State and Fresno State. Both are damn good teams, and unfortunately for one of them, they're going to drop in the rankings in two weeks when they play each other at Boise State. Strangely enough, both have a bye week heading into this next week to rest up before their showdown. Air Force is also a talented team, with their only losses coming to Fresno State and Navy, so they are going to be a tough challenge when we face them in a month. Both New Mexico and Wyoming are so-so this year, probably looking at finishing anywhere from 7-5 to 5-7. Colorado State is likely in for a rough season.

The West Division looks fantastic on paper right now, with a 6-0, 5-1 and two 4-2 teams at the midway point. But they are going to massacre each other as the season goes on. Fresno State still has games at Boise State and at home with San Diego State, San Jose State and Hawaii. Hawaii lost to Oklahoma and Boise State, and still have to play Air Force, San Diego State, San Jose State and Fresno State. San Diego State lost to Air Force and still has to play Hawaii, San Jose State and Fresno State. And San Jose State lost to Alcorn State and Utah State, and still have to play San Diego State, Hawaii and Fresno State.

This early in the season the division races are still technically wide open, but they clear go through Boise State and Fresno State if anyone else is going to get to the conference title game. That loss to San Diego State really put us being the eight ball, with games at New Mexico, at Boise State and home against Air Force among our toughest remaining contests.

If I had to project things out the rest of the season, I feel confident I can beat New Mexico and Colorado State, which would get me to 3-1 in conference play before my big showdown with Boise State. Even if Fresno State ends up beating Boise State in two weeks, that game against Boise State will still essentially be a must win, as a loss would put me a game behind them with only three games remaining for me and four games remaining for them. With a post-game schedule of Wyoming, Colorado State, New Mexico and Air Force for Boise State, there's not many opportunities for them to get knocked off by someone other than maybe Air Force, so I can't afford to drop a game behind them. If they beat Fresno State in two weeks, then no only would I absolutely have to beat Boise State when I played them, I'd basically have to run the table the rest of the season, including wins over New Mexico and Colorado State.

Game Seven

Game Story

--- It was off on the road for another contest following our home victory over San Jose State. This time it was a date with New Mexico, who came into the contest at 3-3 on the season and 1-1 conference play. New Mexico had always been a thorn in our side over the years, and this was expected to still be the case this season. But a win today was necessary if we were going to stay within a game of Boise State and have any hope of winning the Mountain Division this season. New Mexico won the coin toss and elected to kickoff first.

A 34 yard kickoff return by Jon Morris would get our first offensive drive of the game started on our 37 yard line. Benjamin Silva would get us off and running on the ground with a big eight yard gain on first down, followed by a huge 30 yard rush around the far end and up the right sideline for a first down at the New Mexico 24 yard line. A first down pass to Silva would end up being complete but for no gain. Lining up in the shotgun on second down, Pat Williams would be sacked for a loss of five yards, leaving us with third and 15. The third down pass up the right sideline intended for Adam Washington would end up intercepted by Daniel Schmidt, giving New Mexico the ball at their own 16 yard line.

Taking over after the interception, quarterback Alex Thomas would try to scramble after dropping back to pass, only to be sacked for a two yard loss. A two yard completion to Jesse Jackson would leave the Lobos facing third and nine. Sailing a pass along the far sideline, the ball would be intercepted by cornerback Aaron Rush, giving us the ball right back at the New Mexico 44 yard line.

Lining up with fantastic field position after the interception, Silva got the call on first down, rushing for a five yard gain, followed by a gain of six yards and a first down at the 33 yard line. Silva would keep the ball moving on the ground with a first down carry of seven yards, before dashing for an eight yard gain to move the chains to the 19 yard line. A play action pass intended for Gerald Woods would end up nearly intercepted, bringing up second down. Silva would take the handoff on second down, but only gain a single yard on the play. A third down pass to Washington would go for a gain of seven yards, leaving us with fourth and two from the Lobos 11 yard line. The 28 yard field goal by Max Thompson would end up sailing wide left and no good, giving New Mexico the ball at their own 20 yard line.

The first running play of the game by New Mexico would see Keith Sanders rush up the middle for an 18 yard gain and a quick first down at the 38 yard line. Another first down handoff to Sanders would quickly be blown up for a four yard loss to bring up second and 14. A five yard carry by Sanders would leave New Mexico with third and nine. Another third down pass by New Mexico would be intercepted, this time by cornerback Jesse Breedlove, who would return the ball 23 yards before being tackled out of bounds at the New Mexico 48 yard line.

Again starting in New Mexico territory after the interception return, this time our offense really needed to put some points on the board. Silva would try to get us started on first down, only to be immediately tackled for no gain. Another carry by Silva would gain just four yards, leaving third and six. A third down pass to Tyson Taylor would just get enough, picking up seven yards to get a first down at the 37. Another carry by Silva would gain 10 yards this time and move the chains once more to the 27. A three yard carry by Silva would be followed with a six yard rush to leave us facing third and one. That would be the final play of the first quarter, with no score yet in the game.

Opening up the second quarter, we’d come to the line facing third and one at the New Mexico 18 yard line. Silva would nearly end up stood up at the line of scrimmage, just managing to gain two yards and the first down on the play. A first down carry would go for a gain of three yards. Trying another play action pass on second down, the pass intended for Miller was nearly intercepted to leave third down. Going into the air on third down, Williams would sneak a pass just past the outstretched arms of the cornerback and into the hands of Miller for a 13 yard touchdown, giving us a 7-0 lead with 8:56 left in the second quarter.

A 28 yard kickoff return by Raul Ingram would give New Mexico the ball at their 28 yard line. A first down handoff to Sanders would go for a gain of two yards, followed by a one yard rush to leave New Mexico with third and seven. Thomas would drop back to pass on third down, but while trying to scramble, ended up sacked for a three yard loss to force the Lobos to punt on fourth and 11. A seven yard return by Silva on the 37 yard punt would give us the ball at our own 42 yard line.

Silva would get our next drive started, body surfing his way from what should have only been a four or five yard carry to a gain of 14 yards and a quick new set of downs. Another first down carry by Silva would gain six yards, followed by a seven yard gain to give us a first down at the 31 yard line. A facemask penalty on the tackle would add another 15 yards onto the play, moving the chains to the New Mexico 16 yard line. Figuring why change what’s working, Silva would again get the ball on first down, rushing for a gain of seven yards on the play. He would follow that up with a five yard carry to give us first and goal from the four yard line. Silva would get the ball on first down, going off tackle and trying to run toward the pylon. He would gain three yards on the carry to advance the ball to the one yard line. Silva would cap off the drive on the next play with a one yard touchdown plunge into the end zone, giving us a 14-0 lead over New Mexico with 4:37 left in the second quarter.

A 21 yard kickoff return by Ingram would get the Lobos started at their own 21 yard line. A delayed option keeper by Thomas would very nearly go the distance in one play, as he would find a couple holes and break free into the open, before finally being chased down and tackled from behind for a gain of 57 yards to give New Mexico a first down at our 22 yard line. Another option keeper by Thomas would see him break six different tackle attempts and just mosey his way into the end zone for a 22 yard touchdown like he was going to buy some milk. The extra point would cut into our lead, making it 14-7 with 4:04 left in the second quarter.

A 26 yard kickoff return by Silva would give us the ball at our 29 yard line. Starting the ball on the ground, Silva would rush up the middle for a nine yard gain, an offside penalty on the defense declined on the play. Another rush by Silva would gain three yards and a first down at the 42 yard line. Taking a chance through the air on first down, Williams would connect with Washington over the middle for a 20 yard gain and a first down at the New Mexico 38 yard line. A pass over the middle intended for Nate Williams would be broken up to leave second down. A 15 yard pass to Williams on a comeback route would move the chains and give us a fresh set of downs at the 23 yard line. Turning back to the ground game on first down, Silva would get the call with a six yard carry, followed by a two yard rush to leave third and two. Silva would take the ball on third down, gaining six yards to give us first and goal at the nine yard line. Silva would pick up three yards on the first down carry. Another rush by Silva would gain four yards to leave third and goal at the two yard line. Silva would get the job done on third down, rushing off the left tackle, through a defender and into the end zone for a two yard touchdown, giving us a 21-7 lead with six seconds left until halftime.

A 21 yard kickoff return by Austin Jones would give the Lobos the ball at their own 38 yard line with just two seconds left on the clock. New Mexico would try to chuck up a Hail Mary on first down, but our defensive line would win the battle and sack Thomas for a loss of seven yards to send us into halftime with a 21-7 lead.

Opening up the second half, a 27 yard kickoff return by Ingram would give the Lobos the ball at their 27 yard line to start the third quarter. A QB keeper by Thomas would again see our defense torched as he raced up the middle of the field for a 20 yard gain and a first down at the 47 yard line. Thomas would go into the air on first down, connecting with James Larsen for a 10 yard gain and another first down at our 43. A handoff to Sanders on first down only gained one yard, followed by Thomas being sacked for a loss of six yards to bring up third and 15. An incomplete pass, as Thomas somehow threw the ball away as he was being sacked without being called for intentional grounding, resulted in fourth down and long and the Lobos forced to punt. A 48 yard punt would bounce into the end zone for a touchback, giving us the ball at our own 20 yard line.

We would again call on our workhorse Silva to get us going on our first drive of the second half. A touchdown here could potentially put the game away. A first down carry would gain no yards on the play, followed by a two yard rush to leave us facing third and eight. An 11 yard pass over the middle from Williams to Taylor would keep our drive alive with a new set of downs at the 33 yard line. Returning to the ground on first down, Silva would rush for a gain of three yards, followed by a five yard dive up the middle to leave us with third and two. Silva would pick up exactly two yards on his third down carry, but on the short side of the marker, leaving us facing fourth and inches at our 42 yard line. Taking a massive gamble, we elected to go for it on fourth down, with Silva rushing for a five yard gain and keeping our drive alive at the 47. Silva would keep us marching down the field with a five yard carry, followed by a three yard carry to leave third and two. Silva would get the two yards and then some with a seven yard gain and a first down at the New Mexico 37 yard line. Silva would just keep plowing his way up the field, gaining three yards on first down before rushing for a gain of three yards to leave us with third and four. A third down pass to Miller would go for a gain of 16 yards and give us a fresh set of downs at the 15 yard line. Silva would get the call again, rushing for a gain of eight yards, followed by a two yard carry to give us first and goal at the four yard line. Silva would need just one more play to find the end zone for a four yard touchdown, giving us a 28-7 lead with 1:31 left in the third quarter.

Ingram would return the ball 25 yards to give the Lobos the ball at their 26 yard line. It would take New Mexico all of one play to answer as Sanders would get the handoff from the quarterback, find a couple blocks outside and run up the sideline untouched for a 74 yard touchdown to cut our lead to 28-14 with 1:14 left in the third quarter.

A 29 yard kickoff by Silva would give us the ball at our 33 yard line for our next drive. A five yard rush by Silva on first down would by followed by a two yard rush to leave us with third and three. Keeping the ball in the hands of Silva on third down, he would just manage to pick up three yards and get a first down at the 43 yard line. A first down carry by Silva would gain just two yards on the play. That would be the final play of the third quarter with a 28-14 lead.

Opening up the fourth quarter, we would get lined up at our own 45 yard line, facing second and eight. Silva would again keep us moving forward on second down, picking up seven yards on the carry. A one yard carry on third down would leave us short of the first down marker, facing fourth and inches from the New Mexico 47 yard line. A field goal was out of the question. A 40 yard field goal was already questionable distance when it came to Thompson, our kicker. A 64 yard field goal had no chance. Deciding to take another gamble, we would line up and give the ball to Silva on fourth down, and he would get the job done with a carry for a gain of four yards to move the chains to the 44 yard line. Silva would keep us driving with a seven yard carry, followed by a four yard gain to move the chains once more to the 33 yard line. Silva would continue his drive up the field with a two yard first down carry, before being tackled for a loss of one yard to leave us with third and nine. Dropping back to pass on third down, Williams would end up sacked for a loss of 11 yards, forcing us to punt on fourth and 20. Punter Freddie Arnold would try to bury the Lobos deep in their territory, but his punt would bounce down at the four yard line and into the end zone before it could be downed, giving New Mexico the ball at their 20 yard line.

A late option pitch to Chris Thompson would get the Lobos drive started with a 10 yard carry to leave second and inches. That would be followed by Sanders torching our defense for a 32 yard rush up the right sideline to give New Mexico a first down at our 39 yard line in just two plays. Sanders would go left on the next play, rushing for six yards, followed by a huge 25 yard carry right up the gut of our defense to give the Lobos first and goal at our eight yard line. Sanders would finish off the drive on the very next play with an eight yard touchdown run to cut our lead to 28-21 with 4:27 left in the game and put the outcome of this contest in doubt.

A 26 yard kickoff return by Silva would give us the ball at our 28 yard line for the next drive. Silva would get the ball on first down to start the drive, hoping to run out the clock on a victory. The first down carry by Silva would go for a gain of three yards, followed by a six yard carry to leave us facing third and one. A seven yard rush by Silva would move the chains and reset the downs at the 44 yard line. Silva would keep us moving down the field with an 11 yard carry on first down, moving the chains once more to the New Mexico 45 yard line, though Silva would unfortunately exit the game with an injury after the play. Taylor would get the call on first down, rushing for a five yard gain and forcing New Mexico to call their first timeout with 2:16 left on the clock. We got good news during the timeout, as it was learned that Silva was only suffered from hip bursitis, and would be able to return soon. Until then, the game was in the hands of Taylor. Taylor would manage just a single yard on the second down play, leaving us with third and four and the Lobos second timeout freezing the clock with 2:14 to play. Taking a chance on third down, Pat Williams would connect with tight end Nate Williams for a very quick seven yard pass, good for a first down at the New Mexico 32 yard line, forcing the Lobos to burn their final timeout with 2:10 left in the game. Taylor would pick up four yards on the first down carry, followed by a six yard rush by a returned Silva to give us a first down at the 22 yard line. Silva’s carry on first down would gain three yards, followed by a seven yard carry to leave third and inches. The third down play would go for no gain, leaving fourth and inches at the 12 yard line. Silva would keep us moving with a three yard rush to give us first and goal at the eight yard line. A three yard carry on the next play would run out the clock and bring the game to an end as we walk away with a 28-21 win in a game that got much closer at the end than it had been for the majority of the contest.

With the win, we improve to 4-3, 2-1 in Mountain West action. With the loss, New Mexico drops to 3-4, 1-2 in Mountain West play. Up next, we return home to take on the Rams of Colorado State. The Rams enter the game with a record of 2-4, 0-3 in Mountain West action. Colorado State opened their season with a 28-18 loss to Colorado, then defeated South Dakota State 24-0 and beat UTSA 38-35 in overtime. Since entering league play, the Rams have gone on a three game losing streak, losing 34-33 at San Jose State, 31-7 to #4 Fresno State and 41-24 to Wyoming.

Final Score

28, 21

Stats of the Game:

Utah State Offense - Williams largely took the backseat today, only going 9 for 13 for 96 yards, one touchdown and one interception. The start of the game was Silva, would who end up rushing for 306 yards on 65 carries, good for a 4.7 yard per carry average, and three rushing touchdowns. Receiving, five receivers caught a pass today, of those five, three ended up with double digit yards. Washington led all receivers in catches and yardage with three receptions for 42 yards. Miller had two receptions and 29 yards to go along with his receiving touchdown.

A special note, that monster 306 yard game by Silva, has made him the leading rusher in college football, with 1,315 yards for the season, leading #2 leading rusher Chris Walters of Georgia by 184 yards and has put Silva squarely in the middle of the Heisman race, the first Heisman candidate for Coach Ramius since Tulsa running back Kiel Fletcher back in 2015.

Utah State Defense/Special Teams – Until the middle of the third quarter, a fantastic showing today. The defense for the most part kept the Lobos running game bottled up and made their passing game essentially nonexistent. Cornerbacks Jesse Breedlove (returned for 24 yards) and Aaron Rush (no return) each had an interception, while three different defenders picked up sacks. However it was from the middle of the third quarter on that the defense started getting torched by the New Mexico offense, giving up multiple big yardage runs and a pair of touchdowns that turned this game from a near rout into a near blown loss.

Utah State Kicking – Today was not a perfect day for Thompson, as while he would go 4 for 4 in PATs, he missed a 28 yard field goal wide left back in the first quarter.

Scoring Summary

Team 1st Quarter 2nd Quarter 3rd Quarter 4th Quarter Final Score
    0 21 7 0 28
    0 7 7 7 21

Time Team Result Play Score
    First Quarter
    Second Quarter
    8:56 Touchdown G. Miller, 13 yard pass from P. Williams (M. Thompson kick) 7-0
    4:37 Touchdown B. Silva, 1 yard run, (M. Thompson kick) 14-0
    4:04 Touchdown A. Thomas, 22 yard run (K. Allen kick) 14-7
    0:06 Touchdown B. Silva, 2 yard run (M. Thompson kick) 21-7
    Third Quarter
    1:31 Touchdown B. Silva, 4 yard run (M. Thompson kick) 28-7
    1:14 Touchdown K. Sanders, 74 yard run (K. Allen kick) 28-14
    Fourth Quarter
    4:27 Touchdown K. Sanders, 8 yard run (K. Allen kick) 28-21

Game Stats

Utah State Stat New Mexico
    28 Score 21
    26 First Downs 10
    396 Total Offense 271
    70 - 300 - 3 Rushes - Yards - TD 19 - 259 - 3
    9 - 13 - 1 Comp - Att - TD 2 - 5 - 0
    96 Passing Yards 12
    2 Times Sacked 4
    11 - 17 (64%) 3rd Down Conversion 0 - 4 (0%)
    3 - 3 (100%) 4th Down Conversion 0 - 0 (0%)
    0 - 0 (0%) 2-Point Conv 0 - 0 (0%)
    6 - 4 - 0 (66%) Red Zone - TD - FG 1 - 1 - 0 (100%)
    1 Turnovers 2
    0 Fumbles Lost 0
    1 Intercepted 2
    7 Punt Return Yards 0
    113 Kick Return Yards 118
    516 Total Yards 389
    1 –42.0 Punts - Average 2 - 43.0
    0 - 0 Penalties 1 - 15
    27:57 Time of Possession 12:03

Utah State Coach Goals

Goal XP Reward Completed
    Win a Game 100 x1
    Score a Touchdown 25 x4
    Force a Turnover 25 x2
    Rush for 100 Yards 25 x1
    3+ Sacks 50 x1
    Opponent Under 300 Pass Yards 50 x1
    Pass Completion Over 50% 30 x1
    Score 21 or More Points 50 x1
    350+ Offensive Yards 50 x1
    10+ First Downs 50 x1
    4+ 3rd Down Conversions 25 x1

Utah State Contract Goals Update

Goal Expectations Progress
    Target Wins Per Season 8 4

Job Security Status

100%

Taking a look around the nation, in the Top 25, Virginia stunned #1 Miami (FL) 34-24. #3 Michigan hammered Maryland 45-24. #4 Oklahoma massacred previously unbeaten #24 Kansas 42-20. #5 Georgia beat Vanderbilt 37-14. #6 Georgia Tech defeated North Carolina 45-27. #11 Arizona shucked Oregon State 37-25. #12 Washington survived Colorado 38-31 in overtime. #13 Baylor dominated West Virginia 51-31.

#14 Texas walloped Iowa State 49-13. #15 Kansas State beat TCU 38-28. #16 Michigan State beat Wisconsin 45-35. #17 Auburn outlasted #23 Texas A&M 29-24. Utah defeathered #18 Oregon 39-28. #19 Washington State escaped California 56-51. Tennessee knocked off #20 South Carolina 45-35. #21 USC beat Notre Dame 45-21. #22 Ole Miss topped LSU 48-21. #25 Florida State doubled up NC State 48-24.

For our readers, JeffHCross, #2 Ohio State remained 6-0 (3-0 Big Ten) with a bye week. Morsdraconis, West Virginia drops to 4-4 (1-4 Big 12) with a 51-31 loss to #13 Baylor. Souljahbill, Southern Miss remains 2-4 (1-1 C-USA) with a bye week. Jaymo, Arizona State improves to 4-3 (2-2 Pac-12) with a 31-21 win over Florida. LeeSO, #17 Auburn improves to 5-2 (4-0 SEC) with a 29-24 win against #23 Texas A&M. SCClassof93, #20 South Carolina drops to 4-4 (2-4 SEC) with a 45-35 loss to Tennessee. Other teams of interest, Arkansas State improves to 3-2 (1-0 Sun Belt) with a 58-31 win over New Mexico State. Florida International improves to 5-1 (2-0 C-USA) with a 31-10 win over Massachusetts. Navy drops to 2-3 (1-3 American) with a 31-28 loss to SMU. Tulsa improves to 4-3 (4-1 American) with a 38-28 win at Tulane.

In Mountain West action, Utah State survived New Mexico 28-21, San Diego State doubled up Nevada 24-12, Air Force topped Hawaii 26-14, UNLV stunned San Jose State 31-23, and Wyoming beat Colorado State 41-24.

Looking at undefeated teams left, #1 Miami (FL) and #24 Kansas both lost this week, dropping our number of undefeated teams to 5. #2 Ohio State (6-0), #3 Michigan (6-0), #5 Georgia (8-0), #8 Fresno State (6-0) and #10 Boise State (6-0) all remain with an unblemished record this season.

Turning to a more sadistic watch, who is still winless. There remains 3 teams still looking for their first win: Buffalo (0-6), Memphis (0-6) and UL Lafayette (0-5).

Teams getting their first win this week were: None.

Taking a look at the new Top 25 Coaches Poll, Ohio State (40 votes), on a 62 game winning streak, moves up one to #1, Georgia (21 votes) jumps three to #2, Michigan remains #3, Fresno State leaps four to #4 and Oklahoma drops one to #5. Boise State jumps four to #6, Georgia Tech drops one to #7, UCLA falls one to #8, Clemson remains #9 and Arizona climbs one to #10. Miami (FL) drops ten spots to #11, Washington remains #12, Baylor remains #13, Texas remains #14 and Kansas State remains #15. Michigan State remains #16, Auburn remains #17, Washington State moves up one to #18, USC jumps two to #19 and Ole Miss climbs two to #20. Virginia enters the poll at #21, Florida State jumps three to #22, Oregon drops five spots to #23, Kansas remains #24 and Texas A&M (179 points) drops two to #25. Dropping out of the poll this week was South Carolina (from #20). Looking at Others Receiving Votes, Kentucky (159 points) is #26, followed by San Diego State (138), Tennessee (120), Arkansas State (105) and Utah (66) to round out the Top 30. Other teams also getting points this week include Louisville (43), Air Force (33), Florida International (31) and South Carolina (4).

Taking a look at the new Top 25 Media Poll of the year, Ohio State (36 first place votes) moves up one to #1, Georgia (24 votes) jumps two to #2, Michigan (2 votes) remains #3, Fresno State (2 votes) jumps four to #4 and Georgia Tech remains #5. Boise State (1 vote) jumps four to #6, Oklahoma drops one to #7, UCLA drops one to #8, Clemson remains #9 and Miami (FL) falls nine to #10. Arizona climbs one to #11, Baylor drops one to #12, Washington remains #13, Texas remains #14 and Kansas State remains #15. Auburn remains #16, Michigan State remains #17, Washington State climbs one to #18, USC jumps two to #19 and Ole Miss climbs two to #20. Virginia enters the poll at #21, Florida State climbs two to #22, Texas A&M falls three to #23, Oregon drops six to #24 and Kentucky (195 points) enters the poll this week at #25. Dropping out of the poll this week were South Carolina (from #23) and Florida (from #25). Looking at Others Receiving Votes, Kansas (145 points) is #26, followed by Tennessee (117), Arkansas State (94), Louisville (59) and Florida International (43). Also receiving votes this week were San Diego State (13) and Air Force (3).

Taking a look at the initial BCS Poll of the year, Ohio State is #1, Georgia is #2, Michigan is #3, Fresno State is #4 and Oklahoma is #5. Boise State is #6, Georgia Tech is #7, UCLA is #8, Clemson is #9 and Washington is #10. Arizona is #11, Miami (FL) is #12, Baylor is #13, Auburn is #14 and Texas is #15. Michigan State is #16, Kansas State is #17, Washington State is #18, USC is #19 and Ole Miss is #20. Virginia is #21, Florida State is #22, Texas A&M is #23, Oregon is #24 and Kansas is #25.

A look at the Heisman race, Washington State QB Lee Foster is #1 (LW: #2), Georgia HB Chris Walters is #2 (LW: #3), Utah State HB Benjamin Silva is #3 (LW: NR), West Virginia QB Kevin Gates is #4 (LW: #1) and Michigan QB Brian Brewster is #5 (LW: NR). Dropping off the Heisman Watch list this week were UCLA QB Mitchell Slaughter (LW: #4) and Ohio State QB James Gates (LW: #5).