Page 52 of 85 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1694

Thread: Smooth Pancakes' Coaching Carousel Career

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Oklahoma, Cincy, SMU... will be tough challenges.
    ASU,NAVY, Vandy... could be games you have to watch out for.
    The rest of the schedule should be a cakewalk.

Out of curiosity... does UTAH play in week one every season in everyone's dynasty? In (MY DYNASTY) every season thus far in 13 UTAH has played in week one, usually versus USC, Colorado, or Stanford.
    We shall find out. I said the same thing about my schedule last year, and I racked up losses to FIU, UTEP and Rice, teams I "expected" to beat last year.

Yeah, that was the very first thing I noticed when I got to the week one schedule, USC and Utah once again. It does seem like they play in week one every season. There's some things that need to be fixed in dynasty. Better rotation and organization of conference schedules (so USC and Utah don't play week one every year) is one.

Another is better organizing of CPU schedules, specifically non-conference, as it seems like every year there's a handful of teams that end of with only 11 games. I don't know if that is a result of me changing my non-conference opponents or moving teams between conferences, but it's something that EA needs to find what is causing the issue and fix.

They also need to fix the bowl week stuff. When I'm simulating bowl games, after basically a full week of bowl games have been simmed, it automatically goes into it's "Advancing Week" stuff. After it completes that, I end up back on week 1 and have to manually return to Bowl Weeks in the scores section. Then for every game after that I simulate, it returns me right back to week 1, forcing me to repeat the cycle of simulate, end up in week 1, have to scroll back to Bowl Week, rinse, wash, repeat for approximately 28-30 bowl games. It gets very old and very annoying quickly.

Side note... I have said it before and I will say it again: Attention EA/Tiburon... HIRE SMOOTHPANCAKES to work on your dynasty mode!!! The depth and attention to detail Smooth puts into this thread is simply phenomenal. Imagine what he could add to dynasty!?! Excellent effort as always Smooth. Today's effort is another great read.
    Again, I accept!

I really do enjoy doing this stuff. I've tried other stuff over the years. I remember I tried an NBA 2K franchise last March, I've tried NCAA Basketball in the past (I actually wouldn't mind giving that another chance), but I've never been able to fully keep them going. Usually due to too many games in the season where the time that it takes me to get through one season in NCAA, I only get through maybe a quarter or half of one season in the other games. MLB is way too long to do something like this, same with NBA and NHL. So that leaves just Madden and NCAA. I supposed I could always try Tiger Woods as well.

If EA puts out a Madden that I actually enjoy playing, I may try a Madden franchise sometime in the future. Whether I would play as Denver or force myself to go elsewhere to have a fresh view of things instead of my Broncos-clouded view, that I don't know, I probably wouldn't decide until last minute. But I wouldn't mind trying posting a Madden franchise sometime.

Other than that, NCAA is perfect in length of season. 12 games a season, 13 if I play in a CCG or a bowl game, 14 if I play in both the CCG and a bowl game, then go through off-season, turn around and fire up the next season. I can keep things moving at a pace, I can keep advancing and keep the momentum driving to keep the dynasty advancing. That, and win or lose, I just plain love playing NCAA, even the years with the less than good editions.

The season will be firing up sometime this weekend. I had yesterday off, was going to try and plow through two games, possibly three if I somehow could, but ended up wrapped up in the TV coverage and listening to an online police scanner of the Boston PD all day during the manhunt for suspect #2. Today, holy shit, they actually put good stuff on TV. Police Academy this morning, My Cousin Vinny right now, and Firefox at 5pm, so there goes any chances of playing a game or two today as I'll be watching movies until 8pm. Hopefully tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    The season will be firing up sometime this weekend. I had yesterday off, was going to try and plow through two games, possibly three if I somehow could, but ended up wrapped up in the TV coverage and listening to an online police scanner of the Boston PD all day during the manhunt for suspect #2. Today, holy shit, they actually put good stuff on TV. Police Academy this morning, My Cousin Vinny right now, and Firefox at 5pm, so there goes any chances of playing a game or two today as I'll be watching movies until 8pm. Hopefully tomorrow.
    I know what you mean about time. This weekend I had plans to watch Lincoln and play a bunch of NCAA... neither has happened. Tonight I may try to get a few games in but my next two games are versus Utah St and Texas St so it's a bit of a challenge to get up for them...

So I'm just to start up the Texas State game. Looking through my receiving corps, I have absolutely no idea what to expect this year. Out of all 10 WRs that I have on my roster, Eric Hayden is the only one to have even caught a single pass at any point of their time on this team. And Eric Hayden is sitting out all year as a redshirt as he's a senior this year. Taking out a junior WR who is already sitting out under redshirt status this year, I am entering the season with 8 active receivers (2 junior, 2 sophomore, 4 freshman), none of which have ever caught a single pass in their collegiate careers. This could be bad.

Oh lord. I might want to start updating my resume.

Game One

Game Notes

--- The start of the 2018 season had at long last arrived. While we still had our primary starters in place in Brad Stephens at QB and Will Oliver at HB, we would see some changes on the offensive side of the ball. Gone was Roy Smith as backup HB, Junior Eric Silva stepping in to take his place. Gone was Randy Newman at FB, replaced with sophomore Robert Harper. Gone was Connor Jefferson and Antoine Banks at WR, one of our hardest hit positions, with two key contributors graduated, as senior Eric Hayden sitting on the sideline for the year under redshirt status.

Instead we would see completely brand new receivers on the field this year, with freshman Joe Vaughn joining junior Jason Johnson, sophomores P.J. Stephens and Lucas Gates, with junior Kevin Jackson and freshman Tariq Smith also possibly filling in at times. We would be starting the season with a WR corps with not a single catch or yard gained between any of them. As if that wouldn’t potentially be bad enough, we’d also be starting the year with new faces at left tackle, left guard, center and right tackle, as nearly our entire offensive line was shaken up due to graduation. We would see how damaging the losses were with a road trip to Texas State to open the year. We won the coin toss and elected to kick.

No return on the opening kickoff got the Bobcats started at their 25 yard line. It was a quick start to the drive for Texas State as Larry Simpson rushed for 5 yards, followed by a 5 yard pass from Shawn Douglas to John Green to set up third and inches at the 35. A 7 yard pass to Maurice Jordan would convert the third down, moving the chains to the 42. We got tagged with a 5 yard facemask penalty at the end of a 5 yard run, setting Texas State up with a free first down at our 43 yard line. Simpson then took over on the ground, rushing for two yards on first down before going up the middle twice for a 5 yard gain and a 12 yard gain to get the first down at our 23. Our defense finally started to find some life, tackling Simpson for a loss of two yards, before breaking up a pass intended for Jordan to bring up third and 12 at the 25. The defense blew it on third down, as Green was able to haul in a pass down the right sideline for a 19 yard pickup, setting up first and goal at our 7 yard line. David Ray would finish off the drive on the next play, rushing up the gut for the 7 yard touchdown and a 7-0 Texas State lead with 6:39 left in the first quarter.

A 17 yard kickoff return by Jason Johnson got us started with less than stellar field position, beginning from our 15. That field position quickly improved as Will Oliver took the first down handoff, got a massive hole up the middle, and rumbled for a gain of 17 yards to set up first down at the 32. The next carry wasn’t quite as impressive, as Oliver could only manage three yards on the play. Taking our first chance through the air, the pass intended for Joe Vaughn was broken up, leaving third and 7. Johnson was able to keep the drive alive, getting into a gap between the corner and safety and hauling in a 16 yard pass from Brad Stephens to get us to midfield. Taking a shot deep on first down, the pass intended for Johnson sailed long and incomplete to bring up second down. A second down rush by Stephens gained only two yards to leave third and 8. P.J. Stephens kept us moving, as he hauled in the third down pass for a gain of 16 yards and a first down at the Texas State 32 yard line. Shaking off one tackle, Oliver was able to break up the middle on first down for a 10 yard gain, leaving third and inches at the 22. Coming in to give Oliver a breather, Eric Silva took the second down handoff for a gain of 5 yards to get the first down at the 18. Silva was able to pick up three yards on first down, followed by a rush for a gain of 11 yards to set up first and goal at the four yard line. Keeping it on the ground on first down, Silva was quickly met at the line of scrimmage for no gain. The drive would come crashing down on second down, as the pass intended for Vaughn was intercepted in the end zone by Ricky Davis, tackled for a touchback to give Texas State possession at their 20 yard line with 2:24 left in the quarter.

Douglas opened the drive up with a 9 yard pass to Jordan, followed by a 6 yard rush by Simpson to get the first down. After a dropped pass by Jordan on first down, our defense got tagged for a 5 yard facemask penalty after a three yard run by Simpson, giving Texas State a first down at their 43 yard line. An incomplete pass on first down was followed with a rush by Simpson for a gain of 5 yards, leaving third and 5 near midfield. Our defense would grow a spine this time around, sacking Douglas for a loss of 7 yards, leaving the Texas State punt team coming out on fourth and 11.

An 11 yard return by Johnson on the 39 yard punt got us back on the field at our 30 yard line. Oliver started the drive with a rush for a gain of 7 yards, followed by an 8 yard pickup to get the first down at the 45 yard line. Coming out firing on first down, Vaughn was able to pull down the pass for a gain of 12 yards. It would get even better when a flag was thrown for a facemask penalty on cornerback Mike Bolden, the 15 free yards giving us a first down at the Texas State 28. Taking a shot at the end zone on first down, the wounded duck pass intended for Johnson was broken up by the cornerback, leaving second down. Going over the middle to Johnson on second down, the outside linebacker was nearly able to intercept the pass, leaving third and long. P.J. Stephens was able to keep us breathing with a reception for a pickup of 13 yards to the 15 yard line. Another facemask penalty on the defense, this time on middle linebacker Ricky Davis, moved the ball half the distance to the goal, setting up first and goal at the 8 yard line. That would be the final play of the quarter as the last 8 seconds ticked off the clock, Texas State holding on to a 7-0 lead.

Opening up the second quarter with first and goal at the 8, Oliver was able to rumble ahead for a 7 yard gain, leaving second and goal at the one yard line. Oliver would finish the drive on the next play, pounding over the top of a defender for the one yard touchdown to tie the game up at 7-7 with 8:28 to go before halftime.

A 15 yard kickoff return got Texas State lined up at their 13 yard line for their next drive. Douglas continued to shred our defense, completing a pass to Green for a 9 yard gain, followed by a 16 yard strike to Simpson to set up first down at the 39. Jordan then got in on the action, hauling in a pass for 16 yards to move the chains to our 46 yard line. A dropped pass by Simpson finally broke up the chain of completions. Simpson would then turn around and pick up 6 yards on the ground, setting up third and four from the 39. Our defense would fail to stop them as Douglas scrambled up the middle for four yards and the first down at the 35. A two yard rush by Simpson was followed by an incomplete pass, leaving the Bobcats facing third and 8, finally an advantage for our defense. That advantage lasted all of 10 seconds, as Douglas threw deep to Green, completed for a gain of 29 yards to set up first and goal at our four yard line. Simpson would then finish off the drive on the ground to get the four yard touchdown, giving Texas State a 14-7 lead with 6:31 left before halftime.

A touchback on the kickoff got us back out and underway at the 25. Oliver got us moving with a 5 yard carry, followed by a gain of four yard to leave third and one. Taking it straight at the heart of the defense on third down, Oliver was able to convert with an 8 yard rush to set up first down at the 42. Keeping it on the ground, Silva was able to pick up 6 yards, followed by a three yard gain by Oliver to leave third and inches at the Texas State 49. Silva was able to pick up the first down with a 5 yard rush to the 43 yard line. Going into the air on first down, the pass intended for Vaughn was batted incomplete, followed by an incomplete ball to Silva to leave third and long. Trying to find P.J. Stephens on third down resulted in another batted down pass, leaving the punt team coming out on fourth down. The punt sailed into the end zone for a touchback, giving Texas State the ball at their 20 yard line with 3:48 to go.

The defense struck first this time around, tackling Simpson for a four yard loss, before giving up three yards on the ground the next play to leave third and 11. The defense would disappear again on third down, as Douglas converted third and long with a 26 yard strike to Trey Robinson, setting the Bobcats up with first down at the 45. A 6 yard rush by Simpson, was followed with a 13 yard pass to Jordan for another first down at our 35 yard line. We got a big break on first down, as a holding penalty pushed Texas State back to our 45 yard line, leaving first and 20. We would get a massive break on the following play, as Jonathan Chambers intercepted Douglas on the play, returning it 15 yards to the Texas State 46 yard line with 2:16 remaining.

Going immediately into the air on first down, Vaughn hauled in the pass for a 9 yard gain, followed by a 10 yard rush by Oliver to get the first down at the Texas State 27. P.J. Stephens came through for a 14 yard reception on first down to get us to the 13 yard line. Silva then followed that up with a 10 yard rush to set up first and goal at the three yard line, 1:20 left on the clock. Oliver was able to punch It in on the next play for the three yard touchdown, knotting the score up at 14-14 with 49 seconds left before halftime.

A touchback on the kickoff got Texas State started at their 25 yard line, 42 seconds to go. Douglas found Jordan over the middle for an 11 yard gain to the 36, their first timeout stopping play with 38 seconds left. The Bobcats were forced to take their second timeout after Douglas got sacked for a 6 yard loss, leaving second and 16 at the 31 yard line, 36 second remaining. Our defense struck a second time, sacking Douglas for a loss of 5 yards to bring up third and 21, our defense calling its first timeout, just 31 seconds to play. Texas State gave up on the drive, as Simpson took the third down handoff for a 5 yard gain, leaving the punt team coming out on fourth and 16 with 27 seconds left after our second timeout. A 9 yard return by Johnson on the 40 yard punt left us starting at our 38 yard line, just 20 seconds to go and only one timeout.

Stephens took a shot deep on first down intended for Johnson, but the ball was batted down incomplete, leaving 15 seconds. Hit as he threw, the pass from Stephens intended for Johnson barely made it 10 yards, nearly intercepted by the outside linebacker to leave 11 seconds to go. With our last chance to gain some yards, Stephens was able to get the ball off to Oliver, who had a chance to break free up the right sideline, but a diving ankle tackle by the outside linebacker threw him off-balance, causing him to stumble out of bounds at the Texas State 37 yard line for a gain of 24 yards, 6 seconds on the clock. Alphonso Pratt nailed the 54 yard field goal, giving us a 17-14 lead with two seconds left before halftime. A touchback on the kickoff would bring the first half to an end, incredibly with a 17-14 lead.

Opening up the second half, a touchback on the opening kickoff placed our offense at our 25 yard line to get the third quarter underway. Oliver took the handoff on first down, only able to pick up two yards to leave second and 8. The second down pass intended for Robert Harper was nearly intercepted, leaving third and long. The third down pass intended for a wide open Vaughn sailed long and well out of bounds, leaving fourth down. A 9 yard return on the 41 yard punt left Texas State in great field position at their 40 yard line.

The Bobcats wasted little time in shoving it down our defense’s throat, as Douglas hit Simpson for a 25 yard strike and a first down at our 35 yard line. Douglas then found Ricky Davis for a gain of 8 yards, before Simpson was tackled for a four yard loss to leave third and 6. Our defense finally came through in the clutch, knocking the pass intended for Jordan incomplete to leave fourth and 6. The defense was only able to come through once though, as the Bobcats went for it on fourth down, Douglas bombing one deep to Jordan for a 31 yard touchdown pass and a 21-17 lead with 7:12 left in the third quarter.

A 24 yard kickoff return by Johnson got us started at our 24 yard line. Oliver did his best to get our drive off to a great start, plowing up the middle for a 15 yard gain, nearly breaking free and loose at one point, to get us a first down at the 39 yard line. Keeping it going on the ground, Oliver was able to get 9 yards on the first down carry, but a holding penalty negated the large gain, instead leaving us facing first and 20 at the 29. Rushing to avoid a sack, the first down pass intended for P.J. Stephens was well wide and off-target, leaving second down. Trying to find Carl Barnes on second down, the safety was able to drop down from above and swat the ball away, leaving third and very long. Oliver would be the savior of the hour, a misalignment by the defense allowing Oliver and Vaughn to get into a two on one situation with the cornerback, Oliver hauling in the pass for a 33 yard gain and a first down at the Texas State 38 yard line. Trying to get back to our normal gameplan, Silva took the first down handoff up the middle for a gain of 7 yards, followed by a 15 yard rush by Oliver to get the first down at the 17 yard line. Continuing to pound it on the ground, Silva got 9 yards up the middle, before Oliver was able to fight his way to a two yard gain to set up first and goal at the 5 yard line. Silva would finish off the drive on the next play with a 5 yard rush around the right tackle, giving us a 24-21 lead with 4:37 left in the third quarter.

A 17 yard kickoff return started Texas State at their 20 yard line. Simpson opened up the drive with a one yard rush, after which Douglas abused our defense again, this time with a 27 yard strike to Kyle Lowery for a first down at the 48 yard line. A four yard rush by Simpson got the Bobcats into our territory, followed by a 7 yard rush to get the first down at our 42. Ray was tackled for a two yard loss on first down, before an incomplete pass intended for Jordan left Texas State facing third and 12. Any hopes of ending the drive there died in a hurry as Green hauled in the third down pass from Douglas for a 21 yard gain and a first down at our 22. Simpson returned to the ground with a 5 yard rush, followed by a four yard gain by Douglas to leave third and one. A two yard pass to Tony Treangen picked up the first down at our 11 yard line. The defense was still trying to put up a fight, tackling Simpson for a loss of one yard, before a 5 yard rush by Simpson left third and 6 at our 7 yard line. We finally caught a huge break as the third down pass intended for Simpson sailed incomplete out of the back of the end zone, leaving fourth and 6. The Bobcats settled for the 24 yard field goal by Lee White, tying the game up at 24-24 with 1:48 left in the third quarter.

We didn’t even have to wait for our offense to return to the field before we answered back, as Johnson caught the 67 yard kickoff at our three yard line, and proceeded to return it 97 yards all the way to the house for a touchdown, giving us an immediate 31-24 lead with 1:22 left in the third quarter.

Lowery tried his best to match Johnson on the following kickoff, but he could only manage a 22 yard return to leave Texas State starting at their 20 yard line. Simpson took the ball on first down, picking up 6 yards on the carry, followed by a three yard rush to leave third and one. Our defense would potentially one of its biggest stops of the game, as the third down pass intended for Lowery was incomplete, leaving the punt team coming out on fourth and one from the 29. The defense would truly make its biggest stop of the game on fourth down, breaking through the line and blocking the punt, Graham Minor recovered the fumble to give us possession at the Texas State 13 yard line with 30 seconds left in the quarter.

Oliver was able to fight his way forward for a four yard rush on first down, followed by a gain of 5 yards to leave third and one at the four yard line. The final seconds would run off the clock after the play, bringing the third quarter to an end, our lead 31-24 and knocking on the door for more.

Starting the fourth quarter with third and one at the four yard line, it was all in the hands of Oliver to get the job done. He would do exactly that, picking up the first down and then some, finding a huge hole between the left tackle and guard and rushing it in for the four yard touchdown to give us a 38-24 lead with 8:58 left in the game.

A 16 yard kickoff return gave Texas State the ball at their 21 yard line, suddenly finding themselves in a 14 point hole, only 7 plays after they had managed to tie the game up. The Bobcats weren’t about to go down without a fight, as Douglas rushed for 8 yards on first down, before dropping back on second down and finding Green wide open for a 25 yard strike and a first down at our 46 yard line. Consecutive passes to Lowery went for gains of 7 and 12 yards to get another set of downs at our 27, our defense again with their heads shoved up a certain hole. Texas State, finding themselves trailing 14 points after only 7 total plays, would only need 5 plays to cut that deficit in half, Douglas finding Jordan on first down for a 27 yard touchdown to cut our lead to 38-31 with 7:48 to play.

A touchback on the following kickoff left us starting from our 25 yard line, hoping to both kill off some clock and score this drive to drive home the final stake. Oliver took the ball on first down around the right tackle for a 5 yard gain, followed by a one yard pickup to leave third and four. Kyle Jones would come through huge for us on third down, hauling in a pass from Stephens for an 8 yard gain to the 39. The defense would then help us out even more, flagged for a facemask at the end of the play, the 15 free yards setting us up with a first down at the Texas State 46 yard line. Returning to the ground on first down, Silva rumbled ahead for a pickup of 11 yards and a first down at the 35. Oliver was able to fight his way forward for an 8 yard gain on the first down carry, followed by a 6 yard rush to move the chains to the 21 yard line. Keeping the ground game going against the inferior rush defense, Silva was able to get 8 yards on first down, leaving second and two at the 13. Oliver returned and picked up 7 yards to set up first and goal at the 6 yard line. Oliver would drive the stake through the heart, finishing off the drive with a 6 yard touchdown rush to give us a 45-31 lead with 3:07 left in the game, achieving both of our goals for the drive.

A touchback on the kickoff left Texas State again trailing by 14 points, with only 2:59 to play. This time Douglas was unable to pull off any big passes, three straight incomplete passes to Lowery, Jordan and Simpson brought up fourth and long. It would only get worse as a false start penalty on the punt would move them back to their 20 yard line, facing fourth and 15. A four yard return by Johnson on the 46 yard punt set us up at our 37 yard line, just 2:39 away from victory. Following the mantra of if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, it was straight back to the ground game, as Oliver picked up 6 yards on the carry, followed by a 5 yard rush to get the first down at the 48 yard line, Texas State’s first timeout stopping the clock with 1:53 left to play. Silva took the handoff on first down, able to shake off one tackle, but quickly brought down by a second defender for a loss of one yard, the second Bobcat timeout stopping play with 1:50 to go. Silva would all but seal the fate of Texas State, roaring up a gap in the middle for a 12 yard rush and a first down at the Texas State 41 yard line, their timeout stopping the clock with 1:46 to play, but only delaying the inevitable. Silva took the first down carry outside the right tackle for a gain of 8 yards, followed by a gain of 8 yards for a first down at the 25 yard line. Those would be the final yards of the game, as Stephens would take to a knee a single time to run out the final 35 seconds of play.

With the win, we open the season 1-0. With the loss, Texas State begins their season 0-1. Up next, it’s our home opener and conference opener, as the Golden Knights of UCF come to the Panhandle. UCF enters the game 1-0 on the year, coming off a 52-14 win over Eastern Washington.

Final Score
    45, 31

Stat(s) of the Game:
    Tulsa Offense - A piss-poor day by Stephens, ending 9-23 for only 144 yards, no touchdowns and one interception. Rushing was king today, as Oliver had a career day with 176 yards rushing and four touchdowns on 28 carries. Silva also had a career day, ending with 107 yards and one touchdown on 16 carries. Receiving, Oliver actually led the way with 57 yards on two receptions, 33 yards his long. P.J. Stephens was the leader in catches, hauling in three passes for 43 yards. Only five receivers caught a pass all day, though four of those five did manage to end the game with double digit receiving yards.

Tulsa Defense – This defense is going to screw us so bad this year. If Texas freaking State was able to bitchslap our defense all over the field, then I don't even want to think of what Oklahoma, Arizona State, Vanderbilt and the Big East competition are going to do to us.

Tulsa Kicking – Finally back after being redshirt last year, Pratt started the season perfect, 1-1 in field goals with a 54 yard boot, and 6-6 in PATs.

Scoring Summary

Team 1st Quarter 2nd Quarter 3rd Quarter 4th Quarter Final Score
    0 17 14 14 45
    7 7 10 7 31

Time Team Result Play Score
    First Quarter
    6:39 Touchdown D. Ray, 6 yard run (L. White kick) 7-0
    Second Quarter
    8:28 Touchdown W. Oliver, 1 yard run (A. Pratt kick) TIED 7-7
    6:31 Touchdown L. Simpson, 4 yard run (L. White kick) 14-7
    0:49 Touchdown W. Oliver, 3 yard run (A. Pratt kick) TIED 14-14
    0:02 Field Goal A. Pratt, 54 yard field goal 17-14
    Third Quarter
    7:12 Touchdown M. Jordan, 30 yard pass from S. Douglas (L. White kick) 21-17
    4:37 Touchdown E. Silva, 5 yard run (A. Pratt kick) 24-21
    1:48 Field Goal L. White, 24 yard field goal TIED 24-24
    1:22 Touchdown J. Johnson, returned kickoff 97 yards (A. Pratt kick) 31-24
    Fourth Quarter
    8:58 Touchdown W. Oliver, 4 yard run (A. Pratt kick) 38-24
    7:48 Touchdown M. Jordan, 26 yard pass from S. Douglas (L. White kick) 38-31
    3:07 Touchdown W. Oliver, 6 yard run (A. Pratt kick) 45-31

Game Stats

Tulsa Stat Texas State
    45 Score 31
    25 First Downs 19
    427 Total Offense 449
    46 - 283 - 5 Rushes - Yards - TD 29 - 104 - 2
    9 - 23 - 0 Comp - Att - TD 21 - 34 - 2
    144 Passing Yards 345
    0 Times Sacked 3
    9 - 11 (81%) 3rd Down Conversion 8 - 14 (57%)
    0 - 0 (0%) 4th Down Conversion 1 - 1 (100%)
    0 - 0 (0%) 2-Point Conv 0 - 0 (0%)
    6 - 5 - 0 (83%) Red Zone - TD - FG 4 - 2 - 1 (75%)
    1 Turnovers 2
    0 Fumbles Lost 1
    1 Intercepted 1
    24 Punt Return Yards 9
    138 Kick Return Yards 70
    589 Total Yards 528
    2 – 42.5 Punts - Average 3 - 41.7
    4 - 30 Penalties 5 - 53
    21:50 Time of Possession 14:10

Tulsa Contract Goals Update

Fail Impact Goal Progress Pass Impact
    21+ points per game in each season 45
    Win 10 games in one season 1
    3300+ passing yards each season
    65% pass completions over the entire contract 59%
    Win 6 games in one season
    15+ rushing TD in each season 5
    3200+ total offensive yards each season 427
    3400+ total offensive yards each season 427

Job Security Status

38%

Time for another look around the nation. Starting in the Top 25, holy upset Batman! #1 Notre Dame can kiss their 26 game winning streak goodbye, as Navy STUNS the Irish 35-30, scoring the game-winning touchdown on a three yard rush with 48 seconds to go. #2 USC just barely survives to claim dibs on the top ranking next week, as they escape Wyoming 36-30 in double overtime. #4 Alabama rolls to a 37-13 win over Florida State. #5 Michigan State trashes Idaho 31-13. #6 Ohio State possum stomps FCS West 49-0. #8 Virginia Tech whoops Memphis 38-13. #9 Georgia opens with a 31-13 win over Kansas State. #10 Nebraska beats down New Mexico State 38-0.

Illinois scores an upset of their own this week, upsetting #11 Oklahoma State 30-27 in overtime. #12 Miami takes out Bowling Green 38-10. #13 Auburn wins an early SEC battle over South Carolina, 35-24. #16 BYU opens with a 28-9 win over Ball State. #17 Oregon had a hell of a battle, but holds on to beat Maryland 49-42. Marshall joins Navy and Illinois in top 25 upsets this week, as they knock off #18 Mississippi State 24-17, scoring the game-winner on a 5 yard touchdown with 56 seconds to play. #20 Northwestern opens with a 28-10 win over UTEP. #22 Boise State comes back from behind and holds off Cincinnati 35-20. #23 LSU gets the crap scared out of them, escaping Florida Atlantic 20-14.

For our readers, souljahbill, Southern Miss opens the year 0-1 (0-0 C-USA) with a 31-17 loss to Arkansas. Jaymo, Arizona State starts the season 0-1 (0-0 Pac-12), after getting abused 37-13 by Army. Mors, West Virginia gets in the win column to start 1-0 (0-0 Big 12) with a 70-14 thrashing of FCS Midwest. Jeff, #6 Ohio State opens 1-0 (0-0 Big Ten), picking up a 49-0 win over FCS West. Other teams of interest, #19 Arkansas State remains 0-0 (0-0 Sun Belt) with an early bye week.

In Big East action, Tulsa beats Texas State 45-31, Navy knocks off #1 Notre Dame 35-30, UCF dismantles FCS Northwest 52-14, Houston beats Western Michigan 22-16 in double overtime, East Carolina dominates Utah State 38-14, Tulane holds on to beat FCS Midwest 27-15, Connecticut beats FCS East 45-24 and Temple beats FCS Northwest 38-3. On the flip side, #8 Virginia Tech beats Memphis 38-13, Cal abuses South Florida 49-6, Baylor takes down SMU 34-17, and #22 Boise State beats Cincinnati 35-20

Taking a look at the new Top 25 Coaches Poll, USC (32 first place votes) climbs one to #1. Oklahoma (26 votes) climbs one to #2, Alabama (2 votes) jumps one to #3, Michigan State (1 vote) moves up one to #4 and Ohio State jumps one to #5. Texas climbs one to #6, Virginia Tech climbs one #7, Georgia jumps one to #8, Nebraska moves up one to #9 and Miami jumps two to #10. Auburn climbs two to #11, Michigan jumps two to #12, Iowa moves up two to #13, Notre Dame drops thirteen to #14 and BYU climbs one to #15. Oregon moves up one to #16, Arkansas State jumps two to #17, Northwestern climbs two to #18, Virginia jumps two to #19 and Boise State climbs two to #20. LSU jumps two to #21, TCU climbs two to #22, Oklahoma State falls twelve spots to #23, Clemson climbs one to #24 and Georgia Tech enters the poll at #25. Dropping out of the poll this week was Mississippi State (from #18). Looking at Others Receiving Votes, Wisconsin (132 votes) is #26, followed by Texas A&M (87), San Diego State (56), Arkansas (35) and Navy (4) to round out the Top 30.

Any early season look at the post-Joel Nolan/Georgia HB Heisman era, Georgia Tech HB Brandon Terrell is #1 (LW: #1), Ohio State QB Ryan Fraser is #2 (LW: #2), Pittsburgh HB Adam Curry is #3 (LW: #3), Michigan QB Terry Williams is #4 (LW: #4) and USC HB Craig Bridges is #5 (LW: NR). Falling off the Heisman Watch list this week was LSU HB Steven McMillan (LW: #5).

Nice man, veeeery nice. I have a quick question though, how will you continue this Dynasty on NCAA 14? Do you import this team somehow? Or would you edit the Tulsa roster in 14 on your own and just continue that way?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeSO View Post
    Nice man, veeeery nice. I have a quick question though, how will you continue this Dynasty on NCAA 14? Do you import this team somehow? Or would you edit the Tulsa roster in 14 on your own and just continue that way?
    Thank you sir.

For NCAA '14, I'm planning on doing probably just what I did when I moved to NCAA '13. My final season in NCAA '12 was as OC of Florida International. After three seasons there, I decided to move on so I was starting with a fresh team in NCAA '13. So I went through the coaching carousel, and ended up as the Tulsa OC. So in NCAA '13, I autonamed the rosters, and then went in an manually named the coaches and their alma maters to reflect the "current" state of coaching in my last season in NCAA '12.

I still have two seasons to go at Tulsa to complete my contract, so I'll have been at Tulsa for 6 years after this contract ends, so I'm planning on just doing what I did last year, at the end of next season, I'll go through the coaching carousel, I won't accept a contract extension from Tulsa, and then see what jobs come up in the carousel. Whatever job I take, that will be where I'll start off in NCAA '14. Then it'll just be the matter of autonaming the default rosters, manually naming all coaches and setting their alma maters to reflect the 2019 off-season of my dynasty, and fire it up.

It's far from perfect, but until we, hopefully, some day get the ability to "continue" our dynasties from one edition to the other, or at least import a roster file of our current state of affairs in dynasty mode, short of manually changing every rating of every player at least on my own team, if not spreading out to other teams, that's about all I can do. It still works decently well enough that it keeps things changing in the rest of the conferences and keeps things interesting from season to season.

Game Two

Game Notes

--- After opening up the young season with a victory, it was time for both our home opener and our conference opener, as our rivals, the Central Florida Golden Knights would be the welcoming committee to our first season in the Big East. Pre-game scouting wasn’t too much help, as though UCF was entering with far better offensive numbers, those numbers were inflated due to playing a FCS team. One thing was for certain, our defense would have to do a much better job if we were going to win. Giving up 31 points, 449 yards of offense and 345 yards passing would not be enough to achieve victory over UCF. UCF won the coin toss and elected to kick.

No return on the opening kickoff got the game underway, as our offense began from the 25. Will Oliver took the ball on first down, fighting for a 6 yard gain, followed by a pickup of 10 yards to get the early first down at the 41 yard line. Our running game was again proving to be dominant, Oliver busting free up the middle for a gain of 13 yards to move the chains to the UCF 46. Our running game won the battle with Texas State last week, and we would lean on them again this week until UCF was forced to shut it down. The Golden Knights were sure going to try, as Oliver was brought down for a three yard gain on the first down rush, followed by a carry for 6 yards by Eric Silva, leaving third and one. Oliver would get the first down and then some, a missed tackle allowing Oliver to escape through the hole and turn it loose, bouncing outside to avoid the outside linebacker and picking up 19 yards before being raced down from behind by the cornerback, good for a first down at the 18 yard line. UCF finally showed they could defend the run, bringing Oliver down for only a one yard gain. Pulling out the play action pass on second down, we would strike first blood as Kyle Jones got open on a wheel route up the right sideline, catching the ball at the 5 yard line and using his momentum to fall forward through a tackle and into the end zone for the 17 yard touchdown, giving us a 7-0 lead with 5:41 left in the first quarter.

A 20 yard kickoff return got UCF’s offense out on the field at their 19. Marcus Farris came out passing on first down, but the ball overshot the intended receiver and fell incomplete. Farris then kept the ball on second down, rushing for 8 yards to leave third and two. Farris would continue the one man offensive show, rushing for a 7 yard gain and the first down at the 34 yard line. Will Davis took over on first down, only able to pick up one yard on the ground, followed by a three yard rush by Farris to set up third and 6. That third and 6 would turn into third and 16 thanks in part to a holding penalty on the right tackle, leaving the Golden Knights in a deep hole. A third down pass completed to Sean Payne would pick up 7 yards, but not enough, as the punt team came out on fourth and 9. A 5 yard return by Jason Johnson on the 49 yard punt got our next drive underway from the 21 yard line.

This time around the UCF defense proved ready for our ground game, as Oliver was tackled on first down for a gain of two yards. Oliver would recover on the next play to pick up 8 yards and leave third and one before picking up 7 yards to get the first down at the 37 yard line. Continuing to pound it right down UCF’s throat, Oliver continued to find massive holes to run through, picking up 9 yards to leave second and one. Oliver continued to punish the defense, picking up 8 yards on the next play to get the first down at the UCF 46 yard line. Taking the ball for a pair of handoffs, Silva picked up gains of four and 6 yards to move the chains to the 36. The defense finally won a battle, as Oliver was almost instantly stood up at the line of scrimmage, tackled for only a gain of one yard. Going into the air on second and 9, Joe Vaughn kept us moving, hauling in an 8 yard pass from Brad Stephens to leave third and one. Going back onto the ground, Oliver picked up four yards to get the first down at the UCF 23. The poundings would only continue, as an 11 yard rush by Oliver set up first down at the 11 yard line, followed by a two yard rush to leave second and 8 at the 9 yard line. That would be the final play of the quarter, as the last 10 seconds ran off the clock to bring the first quarter to a end, our lead 7-0.

Opening up the second quarter, Oliver took the handoff up the middle for a gain of three yards to leave third and 5 at the 6 yard line. Going into the air on third down, the defense still couldn’t catch a break from Oliver, as he hauled in a pass from Stephens for the 6 yard touchdown to give us a 14-0 lead with 8:31 left in the first half.

No return on the following kickoff left UCF starting from their 25 yard line, looking for an answer. They would fail to find one, as a pair of rushes by Davis for gains of two and 7 yards, followed by an incomplete pass would leave the Golden Knights punting on fourth and one. A fair catch by Johnson on the 45 yard punt got us back in action from our 20 yard line.

Oliver continued to pound it down the throat of the defense, picking up 7 yards on the first down carry. Despite being hit in the backfield by the blitzing middle linebacker, Oliver was able to break off the tackle and gain 6 yards to get a first down at the 33. Taking a chance with the option on first down, Stephens was unable to get the pitch off in time, tackled for a loss of two yards. Going into the air on second down, Silva got his turn to torch the defense in the passing attack, left wide open after all three linebackers blitzed and able to haul in the pass and turn up field for a 26 yard gain and a first down at the UCF 43 yard line. The defense was more than ready for us this time, tackling Oliver for no gain on the first down carry. A quick pass on second down to P.J. Stephens went for a gain of 16 yards and we kept the ball moving, now down to the 27. Able to find a hole around the right tackle, Oliver picked up 9 yards on the ground, followed by a three yard rush to move the chains to the 15 yard line. Silva took the ball on first down, able to pick up 6 yards between the left tackle and guard, followed by a three yard rush to Oliver to leave third and one at the 6 yard line. Sticking to what had been working all day, Oliver took the handoff, rushed straight up the gut, ran past the first down marker and kept going, heading straight into the end zone for the 6 yard touchdown to expand our lead to 21-0 with 3:38 to go before halftime.

A 13 yard kickoff return got UCF back on the field at their 13 yard line, now in an even deeper hole. That hole would quickly get filled in, as Farris took the ball on first down, ran around the left tackle, got a pair of blocks that sealed off our cornerback and outside linebacker, broke free up the left sideline and then raced both safeties all the way down the field for an 87 yard touchdown, cutting our lead to 21-7 with 3:05 remaining.

A 19 yard kickoff return by Johnson got us back in action at the 18 yard line. Oliver tried to take it up the middle on first down, but never had a chance as the defensive tackle latched on to him for no gain. An incomplete pass and a sack for a 10 yard loss would see our drive come crashing to an end. A fair catch on the 42 yard punt set UCF up at our 49 yard line with 1:57 to go. This time their passing attack came to life, as Farris hit Mitch Kilpatrick for a 12 yard gain, followed by an 11 yard pass to Bryan McCoy to get a first down at our 26 yard line. The offense would hit a snag though, as a holding penalty would leave them with first and 20 at our 36. That snag would be enough to disrupt the momentum of the drive, three straight incomplete passes leaving the Golden Knights facing fourth and 20 at our 36. UCF decided not to attempt the field goal, instead punting it out for a touchback. We took over on our 20 yard line with only 1:13 left on the clock. Stephens was hit as he threw on first down, the ball falling incomplete. Dropping back on second down, Oliver again struck a dagger in the heart of the defense, hauling down the pass for a gain of 29 yards to get us a first down at the 49 yard line. A quick pass to P.J. Stephens picked up 15 yards and was then able to get out of bounds to get the first down at the UCF 36 and stop the clock with 48 seconds to go. The first down pass intended for Robert Harper way overshot, leaving second down. Taking a shot deep over the middle to P.J. Stephens, cornerback Joe Jacobs came up from underneath at the last moment to make a play on the ball, intercepting the pass to end our drive and give UCF the ball at their 20 yard line with 37 seconds to go.

After an incomplete pass on first down, Farris took the ball on the ground for a three yard rush, followed by a 7 yard rush by Davis to get the first down. Our defense would get one last laugh, sacking Farris for an 11 yard loss to leave second and 21 with 18 seconds to go. That would be the final play as UCF wouldn’t snap the ball again, taking us into halftime with a 21-7 lead.

Opening up the second half, a 21 yard kickoff return got UCF set up at their 23 yard line to begin the third quarter. Picking up where they left off, Davis took the ball for three consecutive carries, picking up gains of four yards, three yards and four yards to get the first down at the 34. A fourth rush by Davis gained 7 yards, before he was tackled for a three yard loss to leave third and 6. They would convert the third down, as Farris dropped back and found Davis over the top for a 19 yard gain and a first down at our 42. Our defense would win a minor victory on first down, sacking Farris for a three yard loss. Davis would make up those yards with a four yard rush, but the Golden Knights were still left facing third and long. A 5 yard pass to Cameron Swanson would fail to get the job done, leaving fourth and four at our 36. UCF would go for it on fourth down, but the pass intended for Payne was broken up by the safety, turning the ball over on downs at our 36 yard line.

Taking over at our 36 after the turnover on downs, Oliver took the first down handoff off the right tackle for a gain of 7 yards, keeping the ground pounding going. Another rush picked up 5 yards and the first down at the 48 yard line. A 7 yard rush by Oliver was followed by a 19 yard rush by Silva, who found a massive hole and broke free into the secondary, giving us a new set of downs at the UCF 26 yard line. Keeping the ground attack going, Silva took the ball on first down, but was quickly brought down for a one yard loss. Coming out in play action, the pass intended for Harper sailed incomplete, leaving third and 11. P.J. Stephens would keep the drive alive, catching the third down pass for a gain of 17 yards to set up first down at the 11 yard line. Going off the left tackle, Silva managed to get three yards on first down, followed by a four yard gain by Oliver to leave third and three at the four yard line. Throwing up a quick pass on third down, the ball intended for Carl Barnes was nearly intercepted by the safety, leaving fourth and three. The 21 yard field goal by Alphonso Pratt was good, extending our lead to 24-7 with 3:14 left in the third quarter.

A 15 yard kickoff return left UCF starting at their 13 yard line. After an incomplete pass on first down intended for McCoy, Farris was able to find Jake Fleming over the middle for a gain of 26 yards and a first down at the 39. After a dropped pass by Swanson, Fleming again came through for the Golden Knights, hauling in a pass for a 19 yard gain and a first down at our 42. Two incomplete passes would leave UCF backed up against the edge, but Davis would manage to keep the drive moving, catching a pass for an 11 yard gain to move the chains to our 31. After an incomplete pass on first down, we could a small break, as a false start penalty moved UCF back, leaving them facing second and 15. That small break lasted all of one play, as Farris found Fleming once again, this time for a gain of 17 yards and a first down at our 18 yard line. A 5 yard rush by Chad Banks was followed by an incomplete pass, leaving third and 5 from the 13. Our defense would finally manage to stop something, the third down pass intended for Mike Williams swatted incomplete in the end zone, bringing up fourth and 5. We would catch a huge break on fourth down, as the 30 yard field goal by Melvin Peterson was no good, sailing just wide right, to give us back possession at our 20 yard line with 1:30 left in the third quarter.

Starting off the drive on the ground, Oliver took the first down carry for a gain of 11 yards to get a quick first down at the 31. A 6 yard rush by Oliver was followed with a 16 yard carry by Silva, the UCF defense again proving inept against our rushing game. Lining up at the 48 yard line on first down, Oliver broke free up the middle for a gain of 12 yard rush and a first down at the UCF 36 yard line, the Golden Knights defense almost completely incapable of stopping us on the ground. Despite being hit just after the line of scrimmage, Silva was able to drive forward for a four yard gain, leaving second and 6 at the 32. That would be the final play of the quarter, as the last seconds ticked off to bring the third quarter to an end, our lead holding at 24-7.

Starting the fourth quarter, facing second and 6 at the UCF 32 yard line, Oliver picked up right where he left off last quarter, breaking free around the left tackle for a gain of 10 yards and a first down at the 22 yard line. Taking the handoff on first down, Oliver picked up four yards on the carry, to go along with a four yard rush on second down, leaving third and two from the 14. Silva tried to convert the third down short, but a blitz by the middle linebacker brought him down for a loss of one yard, leaving the field goal unit coming out on fourth and three. The 31 yard field goal by Pratt was good, increasing our lead to 27-7 with 7:33 left in the game.

No return on the following kickoff left UCF starting at their 25 yard line, the hole growing ever deeper. That hole would only continue to grow as the drive got off a very poor start. After a dropped pass by Kilpatrick, Farris was sacked for a 9 yard loss, leaving the Golden Knights facing third and 19 at the 16 yard line. An incomplete pass would seal the fate of the drive, as the punt team came out. A 7 yard return by Johnson on the 49 yard punt set us up at our 41 yard line to begin our next drive. Oliver continued his day of domination, gaining 10 yards on the first down carry to move the chains to the UCF 49 yard line. Silva took over the in the backfield on first down, only able to pick up two yards on the carry. A second down carry by Stephens went for a surprising gain of 7 yards, leaving third and one. For the second time today, Silva would fail to convert on third and one, brought down for a loss of one yard to leave fourth and two from the 41 yard line. The fourth down punt sailed into the end zone for a touchback, giving UCF back the ball at their 20 yard line.

The drive got off to another troubled start for UCF, as two incomplete passes, including a dropped ball by Kilpatrick, left the offense facing third and long. Fleming would once again come through in the clutch, burning our defense for a 14 yard reception and a first down at the 34. A second pass to Fleming picked up 13 yards, moving the chains to the 47. After an incomplete pass on first down, Fleming again torched our defense, hauling in a pass for a 25 yard gain and a first down at our 27 yard line. Our defense was able to slow the assault down, sacking Farris for a three yard loss, but it was only temporary, as Farris connected with Payne on the next play for a 13 yard gain and a first down at the 17. A 5 yard rush by Davis followed by a 7 yard pass to Fleming set UCF up with first and goal at our four yard line. Farris would cap off the drive on the next play, rushing it in on first down for the four yard touchdown, cutting our lead to 27-14 with 3:16 left in the game.

UCF attempted the onside kick, but our return team was able to recover it, giving our offense possession at the UCF 47 yard line. Taking the handoff on first down, Silva picked up 9 yards on the carry to set up second and one, followed by a four yard rush to get the first down at the 34 yard line. Silva took the handoff on first down, but was quickly brought down for a loss of one yard, UCF’s first timeout stopping the clock with 1:53 left to play. A second down rush by Silva for 11 yards would all but seal the victory, giving us a first down at the 24 yard line, UCF’s second timeout stopping the clock with 1:49 remaining. A 5 yard rush by Silva got us to the 19 yard line, UCF’s final timeout stopping the clock with 1:46 to go. Silva would put the icing on the cake on second down, taking the handoff around the left end and breaking free up the sideline for a 19 yard touchdown rush and a 34-14 lead with 1:42 to play.

A 14 yard kickoff return left UCF starting from their 13 yard line, a 20 point deficit and only 1:32 left on the clock. Farris threw up a deep pass on first down, intended for Payne, but the ball was batted incomplete. The second down pass by Farris would be the final stake in the heart, as the ball was intercepted by cornerback Allen Moore, giving us a first down at the UCF 16 yard line. Stephens would only need to take to a knee twice to run out of the clock on our 34-14 victory over rival UCF.

With the win, we improve to 2-0, 1-0 in Big East action. With the loss, UCF falls to 1-1, 0-1 in Big East play. Up next, it’s a visit to Tulsa by Arizona State. The Sun Devils enter the game 0-1 on the year, coming off a 37-13 loss to Army in week two.

Final Score
    34, 14

Stat(s) of the Game:
    - Tulsa Offense – Stephens started off great, going perfect in his first five throws. He then had a bit of a letdown the rest of the way, including one interception, but ended the day decently, going 8-14 for 135 yards, two touchdowns and one interception. Rushing, again, was king. Oliver had a new career best today, ending with 219 yards rushing and one touchdown on 35 carries. Silva also had a new career high day, ending with 111 yards and one touchdown on 18 carries. Receiving, only five receivers caught a pass today. P.J. Stephens was the top receiver today, ending with 48 yards on three receptions. Four of the five receivers ended the day with double digit yards.

- Tulsa Defense – Good in the first quarter and third quarters, bad in the second and fourth quarters. Got torched a lot today, both on the ground and in the air, especially by UCF receiver Jake Fleming, who ended with 121 yards on only seven receptions. Also got torched by Farris on the ground, giving up 112 yards rushing on six carries.

- Tulsa Kicking – Another perfect day for Pratt, ending 2-2 in field goals, with successful kicks of 21 and 31 yards. Also went 4-4 on PATs.

Scoring Summary

0 7 0 7 14
    7 14 3 10 34

First Quarter
    5:41 Touchdown K. Jones, 17 yard pass from B. Stephens (A. Pratt kick) 7-0
    Second Quarter
    8:31 Touchdown W. Oliver, 6 yard pass from B. Stephens (A. Pratt kick) 14-0
    3:38 Touchdown W. Oliver, 6 yard run (A. Pratt kick) 21-0
    3:05 Touchdown M. Farris, 87 yard run (M. Peterson kick) 21-7
    Third Quarter
    3:14 Field Goal A. Pratt, 21 yard field goal 24-7
    Fourth Quarter
    7:33 Field Goal A. Pratt, 31 yard field goal 27-7
    3:16 Touchdown M. Farris, 4 yard run (M. Peterson kick) 27-14
    1:42 Touchdown E. Silva, 19 yard run (A. Pratt kick) 34-14

Game Stats

UCF Stat Tulsa
    14 Score 34
    15 First Downs 24
    357 Total Offense 454
    18 - 158 - 2 Rushes - Yards - TD 59 - 319 - 2
    14 - 35 - 0 Comp - Att - TD 8 - 14 - 2
    199 Passing Yards 135
    4 Times Sacked 1
    6 - 12 (50%) 3rd Down Conversion 6 - 11 (54%)
    0 - 1 (0%) 4th Down Conversion 0 - 0 (0%)
    0 - 0 (0%) 2-Point Conv 0 - 0 (0%)
    3 - 1 - 0 (33%) Red Zone - TD - FG 7 - 4 - 2 (85%)
    1 Turnovers 1
    0 Fumbles Lost 0
    1 Intercepted 1
    0 Punt Return Yards 12
    83 Kick Return Yards 19
    440 Total Yards 485
    4 – 45.0 Punts - Average 2 - 41.0
    3 - 25 Penalties 2 - 15
    12:46 Time of Possession 23:14

21+ points per game in each season 39
    Win 10 games in one season 2
    65% pass completions over the entire contract 58%
    15+ rushing TD in each season 7
    3200+ total offensive yards each season 881
    3400+ total offensive yards each season 881

Job Security Status

38%

Time for another look around the nation. Starting in the Top 25, in the Game of the Week, #2 Oklahoma claims dibs on the top ranking, knocking off #1 USC 26-21. #8 Georgia wins the SEC Game of the Week, knocking off #3 Alabama 24-14. Florida International scores the upset of the week, shocking #4 Michigan State in dominating fashion, 37-14. #5 Ohio State keeps in line to move into the top 3, beating Fresno State 45-14. #9 Nebraska steamrolls Kansas State 42-6. #10 Miami rolls to a 42-13 win over Washington State. #11 Auburn picks up an easy 41-17 win over Mississippi State.

The week gets even worse for Big Ten teams, specifically Big Ten teams located in Michigan, as Troy knocks off #12 Michigan 35-28. #13 Iowa beats rival Iowa State 31-9. One week after seeing their 26-game winning streak snapped, #14 Notre Dame rebounds with a 44-7 thrashing of Purdue. #15 BYU remains perfect on the year, picking up a 38-14 win over Southern Miss. #16 Oregon downs Colorado 36-28, thanks to 22 unanswered points that Oregon put up at the end of the third quarter and throughout the fourth quarter.

#17 Arkansas State opens their year with a 42-28 win over Duke. Florida doubles up #18 Northwestern 28-14. #19 Virginia escapes with a 31-28 win over Ball State. #21 LSU needs 21 unanswered points in the fourth quarter to come back from behind and beat Cincinnati 31-20. #20 Boise State picks up a 49-24 win over Houston. Arizona scores an upset of #22 TCU, beating the Horned Frogs 30-27 and #23 Oklahoma State recovers from last week's loss with a 28-14 win over West Virginia.

For our readers, souljahbill, Southern Miss drops to 0-2 (0-0 C-USA) with a 38-14 loss to #15 BYU. Jaymo, Arizona State remains 0-1 (0-0 Pac-12), with a bye week, with Tulsa up next. Mors, West Virginia falls to 1-1 (0-1 Big 12) with a 28-14 loss to #23 Oklahoma State. Jeff, #5 Ohio State improves to 2-0 (0-0 Big Ten), picking up a 45-14 win over Fresno State. Other teams of interest, #17 Arkansas State opens 1-0 (0-0 Sun Belt) with a 42-28 victory over Duke.

In Big East action, Tulsa beats Central Florida 34-14. Temple upsets Texas Tech 27-14. SMU wins 38-17 over FCS East. Navy whoops FCS Southeast 49-6. South Florida picks up a 28-24 win over Minnesota. Connecticut pulls out a 35-32 win over Boston College. #20 Boise State beats Houston 49-24. Penn State destroys Tulane 55-7. Rice takes down Memphis 24-7. Illinois beats East Carolina 24-10 and #21 LSU takes out Cincinnati 31-20.

Taking a look at the new Top 25 Coaches Poll, Oklahoma (33 first place votes) climbs one to become our new #1, Ohio State (22 votes) jumps three to #2, Georgia (3 votes) climbs five to #3, Texas (2 votes) moves up two to #4 and Virginia Tech (1 vote) jumps two to #5. USC falls five to #6, Nebraska jumps two to #7, Miami climbs two to #8, Alabama drops six to #9 and Auburn climbs one to #10. Iowa moves up two to #11, BYU jumps three to #12, Notre Dame climbs one to #13, Oregon jumps two to #14 and Arkansas State jumps two to #15. Virginia climbs three to #16, Boise State moves up three to #17, Michigan State plummets fourteen to #18, LSU climbs two to #19 and Oklahoma State jumps three to #20. Clemson climbs three to #21, Florida enters the poll this week at #22, Georgia Tech climbs two to #23, Northwestern falls six to #24 and Texas A&M enters the poll at #25. Dropping out of the poll this week were Michigan (from #12) and TCU (from #22). Looking at Others Receiving Votes, Arizona (222 votes) is #26, followed by Michigan (188), TCU (171), Tennessee (163) and Navy (155) to round out the Top 30. Other teams also getting votes this week includes Air Force (107), Maryland (55), Wisconsin (34) and Colorado State (39).

Looking at the latest Heisman Watch list, Georgia Tech HB Brandon Terrell is #1 (LW: #1), Ohio State QB Ryan Fraser is #2 (LW: #2), Pittsburgh HB Adam Curry is #3 (LW: #3), USC HB Craig Bridges is #4 (LW: #5) and Nebraska QB Robbie Allen is #5 (LW: NR). Falling off the Heisman Watch list this week was Michigan QB Terry Williams (LW: #4).

Game Three

Game Notes

--- Fresh off our surprisingly dominating win over UCF, we prepared for our second home game of the year, a visit from Pac-12 opponent Arizona State. We currently sit 1-1 against the Pac-12 after splitting a home and home series with Utah. But historically, Coach Ramius had not well against the Pac-12, entering with a 1-3 record against the conference, with a 40-10 loss to USC and a 38-13 loss to Washington, both during his FIU days, to go along with the 1-1 record against Utah. Today would be the day to see if Ramius could get over the hump against the Pac-12. It would be tough, as the Sun Devils entered with the #12 pass defense in the nation, giving up only 125 yards passing/game. Thankfully for us, they’re best rating on offense as in passing, coming in at #91 in the nation, putting up only 177 yards/game. Arizona State ended up winning the coin toss and elected to kick.

No return on the opening kickoff got us started at our 25 yard line. The first down carry by Will Oliver ended up gaining only two yards, leaving second and 8. Keeping it on second down, Oliver was able to gain 5 yards to set up third and three. Despite being nearly trapped in the backfield, Eric Silva was somehow able to squeeze through a tiny hole and fall forward for a 7 yard gain, giving us a first down at the 39 yard line. Oliver took the ball on first down, picking up 6 yards on the play, followed by an 8 yard run to get the first down at the ASU 47. Keeping it going on the ground, Oliver managed to shake off one tackle attempt in the backfield and pick up four yards before being brought down. Second down was decidedly less successful, as Oliver was tackled for no gain to leave third and 6. P.J. Stephens would keep us alive on offense, hauling in the third down pass from Brad Stephens for a 15 yard gain and a first down at the 29 yard line. Continuing through the air, Robert Harper hauled in a pass over the middle from Stephens for a 19 yard gain, setting up first and goal at the 9 yard line. Oliver took the handoff on first down, picking up two yards to the 7. A quick pass over the middle to Carl Barnes picked up 5 yards, leaving third and goal at the two yard line. Taking it up the middle, Oliver met opposition at the one yard line, wrapped up and swung down for a one yard gain to leave fourth and goal. Taking the sure point, Alphonso Pratt drilled the 18 yard field goal, giving us a 3-0 lead with 4:05 left in the first quarter.

No return on the following kickoff got Arizona State also started off at their 25 yard line. Zach Cohen started the drive with a 5 yard rush, before Ira Shaw dropped back to pass and found Reggie Hall for a 17 yard gain and a first down at the 46. After a dropped ball by Courtney Williams, Cohen hauled in a pass for a three yard gain to leave third and 7. Cohen would then convert the third down, catching another pass from Shaw for a gain of 15 yards, moving the chains to our 36 yard line. A four yard rush by Shaw was followed by a 5 yard rush by Cohen for another first down at our 25. Cohen kept the ball, picking up 9 yards to our 16 yard line. Justin Goolsby then committed the first mistake of the game, as he rumbled his way clear down to our 6 yard line, before being stripped of the ball by outside linebacker Graham Minor, who then promptly dived on the fumble, giving us the ball at our 6 yard line.

Oliver took the handoff on first down, tackled for a one yard loss. Taking the ball on second down, Oliver was able to pick up one yard, leaving third and long. A heavy blitz got to Stephens, sacking him for 5 yard loss, though he was thankfully able to just barely avoid the safety. That left fourth and 15, and the punt team in a horrendous position. Christian Johnson somehow managed to get the punt off, a fair catch by Cohen on the 49 yard boot giving Arizona State the ball at midfield. Shaw kept the ball on first down, picking up 6 yards on the ground, followed by an 8 yard rush by Cohen to move the chains to our 36 yard line. A 5 yard rush by Cohen down to our 31 yard line would be the final play of the quarter, bringing the first quarter to an end, our lead 3-0.

Opening up the second quarter, Shaw took the ball for a four yard gain, followed by a 6 yard rush by Shaw to get the first down at the 21 yard line. A 6 yard rush by Goolsby and an offside penalty on our defense set Arizona State up with first down at the 10 yard line. The Sun Devils would get on the board as Shaw dropped back and found Ernie Wilcox for a 10 yard touchdown to take a 7-3 lead with 8:07 left in the second quarter.

A 16 yard kickoff return by Johnson got us started at our 23 yard line. Oliver found some success this time, as he picked up 7 yards up the middle, followed by a rush for no gain, quickly brought down by the middle linebacker to set up third and three. An off-target pass to Barnes was completed, but Barnes was forced to come to the ball, and subsequently crossed underneath the first down line to do so. The outside linebacker dropped down and tackled Barnes for no gain, ending the drive on fourth and three. A fair catch on the 45 yard punt got Arizona State back in action at their 25.

Goolsby took the ball on first down, rushing for 5 yards, before Shaw connected with Robert Cotton for a 29 yard gain and a first down at our 41 yard line. The Sun Devils would tack another touchdown on the board, as Williams broke free on the first down rush, taking it to the house for a 41 yard touchdown and a 14-3 Arizona State lead with 5:58 to go before halftime.

A touchback on the kickoff got us back on the field from our 25 yard line, all momentum long since shot. Oliver again got us off to a promising start, rushing for 6 yards on the play. He would manage to get the first down this time, tackled for a gain of four yards to move the chains to the 35 yard line. Oliver kept the ball on first down, but was quickly brought down for no gain. Going into the air on second down, Stephens got hit by the defensive end as he threw, leaving third and long. P.J. Stephens would again keep the drive alive, hauling in a pass for a gain of 14 yards to move the sticks to midfield. Receiving the handoff, Oliver was brought down for no gain on the play, but a facemask penalty on defensive tackle Chris Holland would give us 15 free yards and move the ball to the ASU 35. Silva took the ball on first down, picking up 6 yards on the play, followed by a 15 yard rush by Oliver to get the first down at the 14 yard line. Continuing the rushing attack, Oliver rumbled ahead for 7 yards, followed by a one yard pickup by Silva to leave third and two. Silva would cap off the drive on the third down play, finding a small gap outside the right guard and following it straight in for the 6 yard touchdown, cutting the gap to 14-10 with 2:33 left in the half.

A touchback on the kickoff left Arizona State started at their 25 yard line. Shaw took the ball on first down, picking up four yards on the ground, followed by a 6 yard rush by Cohen to get the first down at the 35. Goolsby then took the ball, picking up 8 yards to leave second and two, the offense’s first timeout stopping the clock with 1:54 to play. The Sun Devils found themselves right back in our territory, as Shaw connected with Hall for a 27 yard gain, setting up first down at our 30 yard line. A 17 yard pass to Cohen gave another quick set of downs at our 13 yard line, Arizona State’s second timeout pausing the clock with 1:35 remaining. The Sun Devils continued to shred us through the air, as Shaw connected with Cotton for a 12 yard gain, setting up first and goal at our one yard line. Cohen would punch it in on the next play for the one yard touchdown, giving Arizona State a 21-10 lead with 1:18 left before halftime.

A touchback on the kickoff left us starting at our 25 yard line. Going into the air on first down, Joe Vaughn hauled down the pass from Stephens for a 25 yard gain, giving us first down at midfield. Stephens tried to connect with P.J. Stephens, but the safety broke up the play, leaving second down, just 54 seconds to go. We would strike on the next play, as Stephens perfectly threaded the needle between three Arizona State defenders, landing the ball into the hands of P.J. Stephens in-stride, who then turned it up field and took it all the way for the 50 yard touchdown, cutting the deficit to 21-17 with 46 seconds on the clock.

No return on the kickoff set Arizona State up at their 25 yard line, just 37 seconds remaining. A 10 yard rush by Cohen picked up a quick first down at the 35. Shaw connected with Hall on first down for a gain of 5 yards, before an incomplete pass left third and 5 with 8 seconds to go. Shaw was able to hook up with Wilcox for a 26 yard gain, down to our 35 yard line, but that would be the last play as the clock hit zeroes, bringing the first half to an end, Arizona State leading 21-17.

Opening up the second half, a 20 yard kickoff return by Wilcox got Arizona State lined up at their 20 yard line to start the third quarter. After an incomplete pass on first down, Shaw kept the ball for a three yard rush. Our defense, as if they hadn’t already been worthless all day, decided to help with a 5 yard facemask penalty, transforming third and 7 into first and 10. Cohen took the ball for an 8 yard gain, followed by a 9 yard pass to Wilcox to pick up the first down at the 44 yard line. Shaw and Wilcox then topped that with a 17 yard toss and catch, moving the chains to our 39 yard line. Our defense did hand them a minor setback, sacking Shaw for a 5 yard loss, followed by an incomplete pass to bring up third and 15. Cohen took the ball on third and very long, managing 5 yards on the ground to leave fourth and 10 from our 39. The Sun Devils would go for it on fourth down, Shaw finding Hall deep down the right sideline for a 31 yard gain, setting up first and goal at our 8. Two incomplete passes and a 6 yard rush by Cohen later, Arizona State was left with fourth and goal from the two. Cohen would complete their second fourth down conversion of the drive, punching it in for the two yard touchdown and a 28-17 lead with 6:20 left to play.

A 16 yard kickoff return by P.J. Stephens left us starting from our 16, once again back in a double digit hole. Shaking off a tackle attempt, Oliver was able to rumble to an 8 yard gain, followed by a 9 yard rush by Silva to get the first down at the 33. Coming out in play action, the pass intended for Vaughn was broken up by the safety, leaving second down. Silva was able to come down the ball on second down, good for a 10 yard gain and a first down at the 43. Vaughn was able to haul in the first down pass for a pickup of 6 yards, followed by a 5 yard pass to Barnes to move the chains to the Arizona State 46. The first down pass intended for Vaughn was broken up, leaving second and long. Jason Johnson was able to get 11 yards along the left sideline and move the ball to the 35. Keeping it up through the air, Oliver hauled in the ball from Stephens for an 8 yard gain to leave second and two. Finding a tiny hole, Silva was able to pick up four yards and the first down to the 23 yard line. Oliver tried to take it up the middle on first down, but was quickly brought down for no gain. Barnes dropped the pass to him on second down, leaving third and long. P.J. Stephens kept us breathing, hauling in the third down pass for an 11 yard gain, giving us first down at the 11 yard line. An incomplete pass intended for Barnes left second and long. The drive would die on the next play as safety Michael Meyers intercepted the pass intended for Vaughn, returning it 9 yards to the 16 yard line.

Goolsby started the drive with a four yard rush, before an incomplete pass intended for Hall left third and 6. Our defense would, for a change, rise to the occasion, sacking Shaw for a 5 yard loss to leave fourth and 11. A fair catch on the 49 yard punt left us starting over at our 35 yard line. Starting off in the air, Barnes hauled in the first down pass for a 6 yard gain, followed by a one yard pass to Harper to leave third and three. Firing off a quick pass, Lucas Gates came down with the ball for a 7 yard gain and a first down at the 49. The first down pass intended for Oliver was off target, bringing up second down. Silva would keep us moving, hauling in a 10 yard pass from Stephens for the first down at the ASU 41. Going over the middle to Barnes, he was able to pick up 13 yards on the play, giving us a first down at the 27 yard line. A second 13 yard pass to Barnes set up first and 10 at the 15 yard line. That would be the final play as the third quarter came to an end, Arizona State still leading 28-17.

Opening up the fourth quarter, Johnson kept us moving with an 11 yard reception, setting up first and goal at the three yard line. Turning it over to our run game, Oliver rushed ahead for a one yard gain, leaving second and goal from the two. Firing straight up the middle, Silva was stopped for no gain, leaving third and goal at the two. Keeping the ball himself, Stephens was brought down for no gain, bringing up fourth and goal, still stuck at the two. Going for it on fourth down, P.J. Stephens would be the savior of the drive, hauling in the pass over the middle for the two yard touchdown. Going for the two-point conversion, Oliver hauled in the pass from Stephens to convert, cutting the gap to 28-25 with 7:07 left to play.

A touchback on the kickoff left Arizona State starting from their 25 yard line. Our defense continued to be as worthless as ever, as Shaw threw deep and connected with Hall on first down for a 32 yard strike, instantly moving the chains to our 43 yard line. After an incomplete pass on first down, Hall again came through with a 17 yard reception and a first down at our 26. A 7 yard rush by Cohen was followed with a 5 yard pass to Clay Walker, advancing the sticks to our 15 yard line. A first down pass to Wilcox for 11 yards set the Sun Devils up with first and goal at our three yard line. Cohen would finish the job, rushing it in for the three yard touchdown to give Arizona State a 35-25 lead with 5:37 left in the game.

A 22 yard kickoff return by P.J. Stephens set us up at our 25 yard line, right back in the hole we had just crawled out of. Barnes got us started with a 14 yard reception and a quick first down to the 39 yard line. The first down pass intended for P.J. Stephens was nearly intercepted, leaving second down. Barnes continued to get us the yards we needed, hauling in the second down pass for a pickup of 14 yards and a first down at the ASU 47 yard line. The first down pass intended for an open Vaughn was off-target, falling too short and incomplete to bring up second down. Vaughn was able to bring down the second down pass for a 7 yard gain, leaving third and three. Barnes again kept us moving with a 10 yard reception and a first down at the 31 yard line. Going into the shotgun on first down, P.J. Stephens hauled in the pass, managed to wiggle out of two tackle attempts and pick up 16 yards before finally be shoved out of bounds at the 14 yard line. We were forced to burn our first timeout on the first down play, as Stephens was sacked for an 8 yard loss, leaving second and 18 at the 22 yard line, just 3:23 left on the clock. P.J. Stephens would get us into the end zone on second down, getting open up the right sideline, hauling in the pass and diving into the end zone for the 22 yard touchdown, cutting Arizona State’s lead to 35-32 with 3:18 left on the clock.

No return got Arizona State underway at their 25 yard line. Shaw went into the air on first down, connecting with Cohen for a 5 yard gain, before an incomplete pass left the Sun Devils with third and 5. Cohen would be the man of the hour, hauling in a pass from Shaw for 11 yards to get a first down at the 41. Cohen would then go to town on the ground, rushing for one yard on first down, followed by gains of 6 and three yards to move the chains to our 48 yard line, our second timeout stopping the clock with 1:46 remaining. A 6 yard rush by Cohen was met with our final timeout, doing nothing now but delaying the inevitable as only 1:38 remained on the clock. Cohen took the ball for a three yard gain, leaving third and one at the 40. He would then seal the victory, picking up three yards on third down, moving the chains to our 37 yard line with just 1:14 to go. Cohen took the ball for an 8 yard gain on first down, followed by a stop for no gain and a one yard rush by Goolsby to leave fourth and two at our 29 yard line as the final seconds ticked off the clock, sealing Arizona State’s 35-32 win.

With the loss, we fall to 2-1, 1-0 in Big East action. With the win, Arizona State evens their record to 1-1, 0-0 in Pac-12 play. Up next, it’s back on the road with a road trip to the US Naval Academy, who enters the game 3-0, 1-0 in Big East play. Navy opened their year with a 35-30 upset of then-#1 Notre Dame, then followed that up with a 49-6 dismantling of The Citadel and a 40-14 whooping of Memphis.

Final Score
    35, 32

Stat(s) of the Game:
    - Tulsa Offense – A mostly good day for Stephens, ending 27-37 for 325 yards and three touchdowns. Only negative was the one interception, throw inside the ASU red zone that potentially cost us what may have ended up being a possible game-winning touchdown. A complete 180 in rushing compared to last week. Oliver led the way this week with 78 yards on 20 carries. Silva ended with 32 yards and one touchdown on 8 rushes. Receiving, P.J. Stephens led in yards, finishing with 130 yards and three touchdowns on seven receptions. Barnes had the most catches with nine receptions for 80 yards. In all, eight receivers caught a pass this week, six of them ended the game with double digit receiving yards.

- Tulsa Defense – Ugly. Had a good first quarter, but then just turned ugly and couldn't stop a fly the rest of the game. The defense is going to screw us hardcore this season.

- Tulsa Kicking – Another perfect day for Pratt, ending 1-1 in field goals with a successful kick from 18 yards. Also went 3-3 on PATs.

Scoring Summary

0 21 7 7 35
    3 14 0 15 32

First Quarter
    4:07 Field Goal A. Pratt, 18 yard field goal 3-0
    Second Quarter
    8:07 Touchdown E. Wilcox, 10 yard pass from I. Shaw (S. Willis kick) 7-3
    5:58 Touchdown C. Williams, 41 yard run (S. Willis kick) 14-3
    2:33 Touchdown E. Silva, 6 yard run (A. Pratt kick) 14-10
    1:18 Touchdown Z. Cohen, 1 yard run (S. Willis kick) 21-10
    0:46 Touchdown P. Stephens, 50 yard pass from B. Stephens (A. Pratt kick) 21-17
    Third Quarter
    6:20 Touchdown Z. Cohen, 1 yard run (S. Willis kick) 28-17
    Fourth Quarter
    7:07 Touchdown P. Stephens, 2 yard pass from B. Stephens (2-point conversion good) 28-25
    5:37 Touchdown Z. Cohen, 3 yard run (S. Willis kick) 35-25
    3:18 Touchdown P. Stephens, 22 yard pass from B. Stephens (A. Pratt kick) 35-32

Game Stats

Arizona State Stat Tulsa
    35 Score 32
    22 First Downs 24
    510 Total Offense 422
    35 - 211 - 4 Rushes - Yards - TD 31 - 97 - 1
    19 - 29 - 1 Comp - Att - TD 27 - 37 - 3
    299 Passing Yards 325
    2 Times Sacked 2
    6 - 10 (60%) 3rd Down Conversion 7 - 11 (63%)
    2 - 2 (100%) 4th Down Conversion 1 - 1 (100%)
    0 - 0 (0%) 2-Point Conv 1 - 1 (100%)
    5 - 4 - 0 (80%) Red Zone - TD - FG 5 - 3 - 1 (80%)
    1 Turnovers 1
    1 Fumbles Lost 0
    0 Intercepted 1
    0 Punt Return Yards 0
    20 Kick Return Yards 54
    530 Total Yards 476
    1 – 49.0 Punts - Average 2 - 47.0
    1 - 15 Penalties 4 - 30
    16:18 Time of Possession 19:42

21+ points per game in each season 37
    Win 10 games in one season 2
    65% pass completions over the entire contract 59%
    15+ rushing TD in each season 8
    3200+ total offensive yards each season 1303
    3400+ total offensive yards each season 1303
    Penalty
    Lost to a lower ranked team

Job Security Status

35%

Time for another look around the nation. Starting in the Top 25, it's a rough year to be #1. The same week they claim the top spot, #1 Oklahoma loses the top spot, as the Sooners get shocked by Ohio University, 30-22. Oklahoma had a 16-10 halftime lead, but Ohio took the lead 17-16 after three quarters. Oklahoma recaptured the lead 22-17 with an early fourth quarter touchdown and a failed two-point conversion. But two Ohio touchdowns, one with a failed two-point try, handed Ohio the eight point win.

#2 Ohio State solidifies their claim on the top ranking, beating #24 Northwestern 31-24. #3 Georgia fights off Air Force 42-28. The Falcons led 21-14 at halftime, but a 28-7 second half advantage allows the Bulldogs to pull out the win. #4 Texas rolls to a 49-14 win over Louisiana Tech. #5 Virginia Tech picks up a 30-10 victory over Florida State. #6 USC pulls out a 38-28 win over Stanford. #7 Nebraska gets a 38-9 win over Central Michigan. #8 Miami pulls out a 45-24 win over Wake Forest. Arkansas gets a 42-37 upset of #9 Alabama. #10 Auburn walloped Michigan 42-20.

#11 Iowa beat Hawaii 42-28. Western Kentucky heads on the road and knocks off #12 BYU 35-28. In the game of the week, #18 Michigan State rolls to a 40-24 win over #13 Notre Dame, essentially extinguishing all hopes of an Irish three-peat. Houston goes on the road and stuns #14 Oregon 28-21. #15 Arkansas State takes down Miami University 49-14. #21 Clemson upsets #16 Virginia in a 56-42 shootout. #17 Boise State doubled up Texas State 34-17. #19 LSU whoops Ball State 45-9. Northern Illinois pulls off a 31-29 upset of #20 Oklahoma State. Tennessee knocks off #22 Florida 45-27 and #25 Texas A&M escapes with a 34-31 overtime win over South Carolina.

So in all, #1 Oklahoma, #9 Alabama, #12 BYU, #13 Notre Dame, #14 Oregon, #16 Virginia, #20 Oklahoma State, #22 Florida and #24 Northwestern all lost this week. A rough week for top 25 teams.

For our readers, souljahbill, Southern Miss drops to 0-3 (0-0 C-USA) with a 21-20 loss to Troy. Don't feel too bad though, this loss comes one week after Troy knocked off then-#12 Michigan. Jaymo, Arizona State improves to 1-1 (0-0 Pac-12) with a 35-32 win over Tulsa (bastards). Mors, West Virginia improves to 2-1 (1-1 Big 12) with a 17-16 win over Baylor. Jeff, #2 Ohio State improves to 3-0 (1-0 Big Ten), pulling out a 31-24 win over #24 Northwestern. Other teams of interest, #15 Arkansas State improves to 2-0 (0-0 Sun Belt) with a 49-14 victory over Miami University.

In Big East action, Houston knocks off #14 Oregon 28-21, Tulane beats UL Monroe 41-17, Cincinnati downs UCF 42-28, Navy gets a 40-14 win over Memphis, South Florida edges out New Mexico 31-28 in overtime, Arizona State beats Tulsa 35-32, Marshall whoops East Carolina 55-21 and Rice defeats SMU 31-28.

Taking a look at the new Top 25 Coaches Poll, Ohio State (34 first place votes) climbs one to #1, our third top-ranked team in three weeks. Georgia (26 votes) jumps one to #2, Texas (1 vote) climbs one to #3, Virginia Tech moves up one to #4 and USC jumps one to #5. Nebraska climbs one to #6, Miami jumps one to #7, Auburn moves up two to #8, Iowa climbs two to #9 and Arkansas State jumps five to #10. Oklahoma falls ten to #11, Michigan State climbs six to #12, Boise State jumps four to #13, Clemson moves up seven to #14 and LSU climbs four to #15. Alabama falls seven to #16, Arkansas enters the poll this week at #17, Notre Dame drops five to #18, Georgia Tech climbs four to #19 and Virginia falls four to #20. Texas A&M climbs four to #21, Oregon drops eight to #22, Arizona enters the poll at #23, Tennessee enters the poll at #24 and BYU falls thirteen spots to #25 (191 points). Dropping out of the poll this week were Oklahoma State (from #20), Florida (from #22) and Northwestern (from #24). Looking at Others Receiving Votes, Northwestern (171 points) is #26, followed by Florida (152) Navy (145), Marshall (92) and Ohio (83) to round out the Top 30. Other teams receiving votes this week include Oklahoma State (79), Illinois (33), Michigan (26) and Wisconsin (10).

Taking a look at the first Top 25 Media Poll of the year, Georgia (40 first place votes) is #1, Texas (23 votes) #2, Ohio State (1 vote) is #3, Nebraska (1 vote) is #4 and USC is #5. Virginia Tech is #6, Miami #7, Auburn #8, Iowa #9 and Michigan State #10. Oklahoma sits #11, LSU is #12, Boise State ranks #13, Clemson is #14 and Arkansas State is #15. Alabama is #16, Notre Dame #17, Virginia at #18, Arkansas #19 and Texas A&M #20. Tennessee is #21, Oregon #22, Georgia Tech sits #23, Arizona is #24 and Florida is #25 (195 points). Looking at Others Receiving Votes, Northwestern (168 points) is #26, followed by Navy (146), BYU (136), Wisconsin (120) and Illinois (57) to round out the Top 30. Other teams getting votes this week include Ohio (50), Michigan (43), Marshall (26) and Oklahoma State (8).

Looking at the latest Heisman Watch list, Georgia Tech HB Brandon Terrell is #1 (LW: #1), Georgia HB Justin Jones is #2 (LW: NR), Miami QB Jason Day is #3 (LW: NR), Ohio State QB Ryan Fraser is #4 (LW: #2) and Nebraska QB Robbie Allen is #5 (LW: #5). Falling off the Heisman Watch list this week was Pittsburgh HB Adam Curry (LW: #3) and USC HB Craig Bridges (LW: #4).

The curse of Ellis Johnson still reigns.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    The curse of Ellis Johnson still reigns.

Damnit, Southern Miss finally sucks and I'm not there to play them.

Smooth... I have been saying it all year ASU's quarterback I. Shaw is the real deal. Clearly he is going to be a first round pick! When I think I. Shaw I think "beast mode 2.0"

Seriously though, great to see you scheduling ASU... I'm sure you will exact some revenge next season!

Smooth... I have been saying it all year ASU's quarterback I. Shaw is the real deal. Clearly he is going to be a first round pick! When I think I. Shaw I think "beast mode 2.0"

Seriously though, great to see you scheduling ASU... I'm sure you will exact some revenge next season!
    I was wondering when the smack talking would start. Yeah, Shaw through the air and Cohen on the ground were just shredding my defense.

I will say, I consider myself lucky to have even made it to within three points at the end. After Arizona State went up 14-3 and 21-10, I could feel the game slipping away as they just had their way with my defense. One thing is for certain, after a game like that, I am not at all looking forward to Oklahoma. I might need to stock up on some lube before I play that game.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    I was wondering when the smack talking would start. Yeah, Shaw through the air and Cohen on the ground were just shredding my defense.

I will say, I consider myself lucky to have even made it to within three points at the end. After Arizona State went up 14-3 and 21-10, I could feel the game slipping away as they just had their way with my defense. One thing is for certain, after a game like that, I am not at all looking forward to Oklahoma. I might need to stock up on some lube before I play that game.
    Sometimes these types of games sneak up and bite you. I just lost 52-45 to Utah State... I was ranked #2 and they were #116. How did that happen??? Needless to say my AD didn't have kind words... After a stinker to ASU I would not be surprised to see you blow out Oklahoma.

By the way, here is a token gesture for your tough loss.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html

Sometimes these types of games sneak up and bite you. I just lost 52-45 to Utah State... I was ranked #2 and they were #116. How did that happen??? Needless to say my AD didn't have kind words... After a stinker to ASU I would not be surprised to see you blow out Oklahoma.
    Like Navy beating #1 Notre Dame and Ohio University beating #1 Oklahoma.

We'll find out soon enough. I plan on trying to squeeze in Navy sometime tomorrow if I can. Then Oklahoma's up next after that. Needless to say, after Texas State and Arizona State, my defense is just about completely worthless. So even if I can keep my offense going, it's going to depend if my defense can even do anything against Oklahoma's offense.

By the way, here is a token gesture for your tough loss.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html

Well, that helped to soften the depression of defeat.