Page 22 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: Smooth Pancakes' Coaching Carousel Career

• Facebook
  • Display
    Yeah I don't blame you about the simming. I can't get back into 12 either primarily because of the superhuman LB's.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Yeah I don't blame you about the simming. I can't get back into 12 either primarily because of the superhuman LB's.
    I actually got back into 12 after playing the demo by saying, "F it," and finished my season on Freshman. It felt good to take out a year's worth of frustrations with making at least 1 big play a quarter and 50-point blowouts. After winning the national championship, I saw that I had time for 1 more season so I upped to Varsity so I could still take it kinda easy and have fun but not have it so super easy that I'd blow Alabama out 63-0 again with backups playing the entire 2nd half.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    I think that might be what I do. This power has been messed up every since that freaking hurricane wannabe thunderstorm plowed through here and the rest of the mid west and east coast on Friday. And then those super LBs and secondary. I was actually having fun with 12 back when I played my last dynasty game against MTSU, but now, after having played the 13 demo off and on for the last couple weeks, that shit is just annoying me to no end. I was about ready to quit after the first quarter and I never quit games.

If anything, I'll still type up all the scoring summary and box score stuff for the games, there just won't be a story to go with them. Otherwise, I don't know if I'd ever get my remaining four season games plus a possible bowl game all played and posted by Friday. And come Friday, it's gonna be 13 all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    I actually got back into 12 after playing the demo by saying, "F it," and finished my season on Freshman. It felt good to take out a year's worth of frustrations with making at least 1 big play a quarter and 50-point blowouts. After winning the national championship, I saw that I had time for 1 more season so I upped to Varsity so I could still take it kinda easy and have fun but not have it so super easy that I'd blow Alabama out 63-0 again with backups playing the entire 2nd half.
    That is another thing I could possibly do. Drop down to Varsity from AA. I'll have to stack some of the sliders against me since I still want realistic games, but that super LB crap every single play, I can't take 4 more games of that on 12.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    I think that might be what I do. This power has been messed up every since that freaking hurricane wannabe thunderstorm plowed through here and the rest of the mid west and east coast on Friday.
    Just be glad you have power, unlike the rest of the state

That is another thing I could possibly do. Drop down to Varsity from AA. I'll have to stack some of the sliders against me since I still want realistic games
    Clearly you missed Bill's point. SCREW REALISM! It's four games, dude. Just use these if you really insist on using sliders.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Just be glad you have power, unlike the rest of the state

Clearly you missed Bill's point. SCREW REALISM! It's four games, dude. Just use these if you really insist on using sliders.
    That is true. We lost our power for only two hours or so Friday night before it came back on. Still over 1,600 without power here in Defiance county. A couple thousand south of us in Paulding county and over 8,500 southeast of us in Putnam county. And actually, those numbers could be and probably are skewed. Those numbers are for ONLY AEP. No clue how high the number truly is when you add up and include all the other power companies that have service and customers around this corner of the state. Even just up here in NW Ohio, AEP is predicting July 7th through the 9th before some could start seeing the power come back on.

Yes, I did miss his point it appears. Maybe I'll give that a try then. I'm gonna have to really haul ass and try to cram in as many games as I can tomorrow. I'm super busy with work on Thursday and the morning on Friday, so tomorrow and Wednesday are my only days to really play out the rest of the season. Maybe I'll fire NCAA back up here shortly and give it a go. I might also consider dropping quarter length down to help me get the games in quicker. I think I'm 9 minute quarters right now (either 9 minutes or 8 minutes), so the games, between playing them and typing up drive summaries every change of possession, can take a while to fully play and then type up a game post.

So if I decide to play out all the games still, I'll probably drop to Varsity to help combat the super LB and secondary bull, and may drop down to 5 or 7 minute quarters to help get through the games a bit quicker.

That is true. We lost our power for only two hours or so Friday night before it came back on. Still over 1,600 without power here in Defiance county. A couple thousand south of us in Paulding county and over 8,500 southeast of us in Putnam county. And actually, those numbers could be and probably are skewed. Those numbers are for ONLY AEP. No clue how high the number truly is when you add up and include all the other power companies that have service and customers around this corner of the state. Even just up here in NW Ohio, AEP is predicting July 7th through the 9th before some could start seeing the power come back on.
    They're predicting the 7th and 9th, I believe, so that they don't tell one part of the state that they'll be on by Wednesday, another part by Thursday, but you guys in the boonies get to wait until Saturday. All the power companies here are doing the same thing ... the only date they're predicting is Friday or Saturday.

They're predicting the 7th and 9th, I believe, so that they don't tell one part of the state that they'll be on by Wednesday, another part by Thursday, but you guys in the boonies get to wait until Saturday. All the power companies here are doing the same thing ... the only date they're predicting is Friday or Saturday.
    Well, they might be doing that for most. I know there have been some counties and cities they were giving specifics for (by midnight on July 3rd, by midnight on July 6th, etc) for getting power restored. The rest they might just be saying 7th through the 9th.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Here in WV, the county I live in (Kanawha County) isn't supposed to have power completely restored until Sunday the 9th from all indications. Thank god I have a friend that lives in an area that has power that I can just crash at until then.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Here in WV, the county I live in (Kanawha County) isn't supposed to have power completely restored until Sunday the 9th from all indications. Thank god I have a friend that lives in an area that has power that I can just crash at until then.
    Yeah, we got lucky here in Defiance. There are still come people around the city and county that don't have power back yet, but for the most part, we lucked out and fared well. Most of us who lost power during the storm Friday got it back within a couple hours or by Friday night/Saturday morning. Good thing you got a place to crash at. Some of these areas where the entire town and city is out of power, that's gotta be ugly between the heat, trying to find ice and coolers to buy for the food they have/had in their freezers, trying to find generators and constantly buying gas for it, etc.

As for this dynasty, I'm gonna go ahead and try to again play out these games. I'm gonna make the switches that were suggested and that I was thinking about, drop down to Varsity and drop my quarter lengths from 9 (or 8 or whatever it is) down to 5 to help me plow through games faster. Additionally, I'm completely saying fuck it to recruiting the rest of this season. A: I'm planning on being at a different team anyways come season 4. B: This is going to be my last season on NCAA 12 regardless, starting with new rosters on NCAA 13 come Friday, so whatever I do or don't do in recruiting the rest of this current season isn't going to mean or do jacksquat for my future seasons. So that should help me get through stuff faster, especially since I basically have until 9 or 10pm tomorrow night to get done with this season before work takes over starting at 5am Thursday morning.

5 minute quarters, you are going to plow right through those 4 games. 5 minute quarters are nothing.

Well, they might be doing that for most. I know there have been some counties and cities they were giving specifics for (by midnight on July 3rd, by midnight on July 6th, etc) for getting power restored. The rest they might just be saying 7th through the 9th.
    I just saw that AEP posted more precise dates today ... that's the first time I've seen any dates from AEP since the storm.

After posting that last night, I listened to the local radio and they were questioning one of the power companies about the dates. They said along the lines of what I did, though their reasoning was something I should have realized ... that they were being over conservative in order to not miss commitment dates and make an already bad situation worse.

Well, their estimate of Sunday was off since my power just came back on ~3 1/2 hours ago. Oh sweet air conditioning, how I missed you!

I just saw that AEP posted more precise dates today ... that's the first time I've seen any dates from AEP since the storm.

After posting that last night, I listened to the local radio and they were questioning one of the power companies about the dates. They said along the lines of what I did, though their reasoning was something I should have realized ... that they were being over conservative in order to not miss commitment dates and make an already bad situation worse.
    Definitely makes sense to do that.

Well, their estimate of Sunday was off since my power just came back on ~3 1/2 hours ago. Oh sweet air conditioning, how I missed you!
    Glad to hear that man. I would have probably been cooked well done by now without AC in this heat. On a dynasty related note, I'm glad I didn't have a chance to try and get the games played yesterday. About 5, 5:30, the power suddenly died completely, was out for 30-45 minutes before it came back on. My guesses were either they were shutting us off to tie in some of the areas that still didn't have power, their fixes they made on Friday weren't good enough, or some dumbass driving a car took out a pole.

The good news is, I don't have to work until Thursday evening now. I originally had to do the morning show for our country station, 6-9am both Thursday and Friday because our morning show guy was going to be down at Country Concert 2012 in Fort Loramie, Ohio from Thursday through Sunday. Well, both transmitter sites from our country station and Hot AC station have been running on generator power since Friday. Sometime around 5am yesterday morning, the generator for our country station transmitter blew a water pump and then blew the fan when it overheated. So the country station was off air since 5am and still off air as of 4:30 last night.

So our morning show guy, who is also the program director for all three stations in town, got absolutely nothing done that he needed to before he left on Thursday. So he's sticking around for at least his morning show on Thursday before leaving. I only have to go in for the morning show on Friday. So I now don't have to go in until around 4 or 5pm Thursday afternoon, and provided I can get everything done while I'm there, will be done for the week with stuff at work come 9am Friday morning after I get done on air. So I'll be able to get home and hopefully have NCAA 13 all downloaded by 10:30 or 11, play that the entire day, unfortunately get up for work in the middle of the night for my own morning show on Saturday morning, and then come home and continue playing 13 at 10am.

Game Nine

Game Notes

--- Heading down the homestretch of the 2013 season, a lot still at stake. Not only entering the game against our hated rivals, the FAU Owls, but still in the running for a potential back to back Sun Belt Conference championship, and also the risk of finishing the year below .500. No time to let off the gas, no time to rest. Our 45-3 win last week over Mid Tennessee State was huge as it not only kept us going on a five game winning streak, but it was our first game since early October that we weren’t in a fight for our life at the end of the game. The Owls are sort of a mixed bag, coming into the game with a 3-6 record and 2-3 in conference play, but they have rarely been a pushover, losing to Purdue by 7 and #9 Penn State by only 6 points. Hopefully our practices during the week got the boys ready for this game, because it could be right back to the meat grinder. On a sunny day, Florida Atlantic won the coin toss and elected to kick.

A 22 yard kickoff return got us started for the game on our own 31 yard line. Storm Johnson got the game underway for us with a 2 yard gain on the ground, before hauling in a 7 yard pass from Jake Medlock to leave us with third and one on the 40 yard line. A run up the middle by Johnson resulted in two broken tackles and a 14 yard gain, giving us first down at the FAU 46 yard line. Johnson continued to find success on the ground, taking an off-tackle play for 27 yards, breaking on tackle and spinning out of a second tackle, before being brought down at the Owls 19 yard line. Medlock then took advantage of a sleeping Owls defense, finding Dominique Rhymes over the middle for a 19 yard touchdown pass, giving us a 7-0 lead with 3:16 left to go in the first quarter. Our defense once again proved to have more holes than Swiss cheese, giving up passes from Steven Curtis for 8, 5, and 21 yards, before Curtis and Javaris Giles combined of six rushes for 32 yards. A pair of incomplete passes brought the drive to an end at our 14 yard line, where the Owls attempted a 31 yard field goal, the kick from Jordan West sailing wide right.

Medlock got our offensive drive moving right off the bat with a 20 yard pass to Rhymes, before connecting with Johnson for another 8 yards. After an incomplete pass to Wayne Times, Johnson took over on the ground, breaking off five consecutive runs of 8, 10, 4, 2 and 12 yards, giving us first down at the FAU 16 yard line with 29 seconds left in the quarter. Three incomplete passes later, and we were forced to settle for a 33 yard field goal from Yusef Hagen, giving us a 10-0 lead with two seconds left. An 18 yard kickoff return by DeAndre Richardson brought the quarter to an end, big brother FIU on top 10-0. The second quarter brought about more of the same from our defense, a 5 yard rush by Giles, passes of 5 and 10 yards by Curtis, another rush for 3 yards by Giles and a 9 yard pass from Curtis to Marcus Cunningham gave the Owls first down at their 49 yard line. A rush for a loss of four yards by Curtis on first down was immediately recovered on a 21 yard pass to Cunningham, setting up first down at our 34 yard line. The defense came through and sacked Curtis for an 11 yard loss, leaving the Owls with second and 21 at our 44 yard line. Two incomplete passes from the Curtis and Owls offense was left stranded. They wouldn’t go down without a fight though, as their punter, Brandon Johnson, kicked a 43 yard punt, with their punt team forcing it down at our 1 yard line, leaving our offense with 99 yards in front of it and 3:22 left to play in the half.

Our offensive drive would end just 2 seconds left when Medlock dropped back too far, his back foot stepping out of bounds while winding up for a pass, causing the safety. With the safety, the Owls got on the board, making it 10-2 with 3:20 left to play. Despite a booming 63 yard punt by Hagen, Richardson returned the ball 23 yards, giving the Owls a first down on our their 40 yard line. Despite a four yard rush by Giles to get the offense started, an incomplete pass on second down was met with a five yard false start penalty on third down. After the penalty left the Owls with third and 11, Curtis could only manage a 5 yard pass to David Oliver, forcing the Owls to punt on fourth and 6 from their 43 yard line. A 43 yard punt was fair caught by Johnson, leaving our offense starting from the 14 yard line, once again in the shadows of our goal posts, but far enough from fear of another safety. Medlock found Rhymes for a 19 yard gain on the first play of the drive, giving us another first down at the 32 yard line, before Johnson and Darrian Mallary took over for the rest of the drive. Johnson got things started with rushes of 9 and 13 yards, while Mallary was able to turn the corner on a pitch and pick up 17 yards before being run out of bounds. With first down at the FAU 30 yard line, Johnson took back over for a 7 yard pick up up the middle, before Mallary gained five yards off tackle to get another first down at the 19 yard line. Johnson then reeled off consecutive 8 yard runs to give us first and goal at the FAU 3 yard line with 43 seconds left in the half. Mallary was able to pick up three yards, but got tackled just short, setting up second and goal from the half yard line. Taking the ball a second time, Mallary got stuffed at the line for no gain with 5 second left, and we were ultimately forced to settle for an 18 yard field goal, making it 13-2 at halftime.

Start of the second half, our defense didn’t even get the chance to do a Swiss cheese impersonation, as Cunningham broke four tackles and got incredible blocking on his way to a 102 yard kickoff return for a touchdown, making it 13-9 with 4:33 left on the clock. Despite trying to match Cunningham’s return, Johnson was only able to manage a 23 yard kickoff return out to our 23 yard line. Johnson was able to only get three yards on a first down rush, the defense starting to cheat to our run game. Medlock tried to make the defense pay, but a pass attempt for Glenn Coleman fell incomplete. Facing third and seven, Medlock went back to the air, this time managing to connect with Coleman, who hauled in the pass, broke a tackle and was able to scamper for a 46 yard gain before being brought down at the FAU 28 yard line. Attempting to rush yet again, Johnson this time got tackled for a four yard loss, bringing Medlock back into play. On second and 14, Medlock found Rhymes for a 22 yard gain, before connecting with Willis Wright over the middle for a 9 yard touchdown pass, giving us a 20-9 lead with 2:46 left in the third quarter. Florida Atlantic’s offensive drive was barely able to get going. After a four yard rush by Giles, Curtis got sacked for an 11 yard loss, pushing the Owls back to their 24 yard line, before a false start penalty tacked on another five yards and left the Owls with third and 21 from the 19 yard line. Curtis was able to find Jerrard Hunter for a 13 yard gain, but it wouldn’t be enough as the punt team trotted out onto the field.

A fair catch by Johnson set us up on the 29 yard line. Medlock tried to put the nail in the coffin, attempting to hit Wright over the middle, but the play got broken up. On second down, Medlock came right back firing, throwing a deep bomb down the left sideline for Coleman. The cornerback was able to get a hand on the ball at bat it up in the air, but Coleman was in the perfect position to snatch it out of the air, break out of the ankle tackle attempt by the defender, and outrun the safety for a 71 yard touchdown pass, making it 27-9 with 1:48 left in the third quarter. The Owls initially found some success on offense, with Giles breaking a run for 6 yards, and after an incomplete pass on second down, Curtis finding Oliver for a 5 yard gain to pick up a new set of downs. Curtis would doom the drive however, after picking up a 6 yard gain on first down, he was tackled for a loss of 3 yards and then threw an incomplete pass, leaving the field on fourth and seven. Starting on our 17 yard line with 47 seconds left in the quarter, our offense came out ready to run out the game. After getting tackled for a one yard loss, Johnson was able to pick up six yards to leave us with third and five as the third quarter came to end, a commanding 27-9 lead over little brother.

One the first play of the fourth quarter, Johnson was able to fight through a tackle to pick up exactly the five yards we needed for a first down, before reeling off another 13 yards to give us first and 10 at the 39 yard line. Showing signs of defeat and giving up, the Owls defense showed little tackling effort as Johnson was able to gain 20 yards on the next rush, getting out to the FAU 41 yard line with 4:04 left to play, as our offense officially went into full clock killing mode. Johnson again ran over the FAU defense, picking up 14 yards to get us down to the Owls 27 yard line, before their defense finally chose to stand up and fight, tackling Johnson for a 1 yard gain on the next play. Mallary came into to give his crack at the Owls defense, but was only able to pick up two yards, leaving us with third and 7. Johnson this time was able to hurt the defense through the air, hauling in a 16 yard pass from Medlock, giving us first and goal at the seven yard line with 1:33 left in the game. After a 2 yard gain up the middle left us with second and goal, Johnson was able to turn the corner on a sweep and moon walked untouched into the corner of the end zone, giving us a 34-9 lead with 27 seconds left in the game, once again asserting our dominance over dear little brother. The Owls didn’t want to end on that note, as Cunningham returned the kickoff 25 yards out to the FAU 26 yard line, but Giles would lose two yards on a first down rush, before a five yard gain on second down. After an incomplete pass from Curtis with eight seconds left, an Owls punt would bring about the end of the game. In dominating fashion, the Golden Panthers again proved themselves superior to our little brothers, the Owls of Florida Atlantic, with a 34-9 victory.

With the win, we improve to 6-3 on the season, 6-0 in the Sun Belt Conference. With the loss, Florida Atlantic drops to 3-7 for the season and 2-4 in conference play. Up next, it's back on the road to take on Arkansas State. The Red Wolves come into the game with a 6-3 record and breathing down our necks with a 4-1 conference mark. So far this season, Arkansas State opened up the year with a 41-26 win over New Mexico, before falling to #19 Oregon State 41-31. The next week they went on the road to #14 Nevada, losing 45-28 before picking up their second win of the year with a 38-17 road victory over Memphis. Briefly heading back home, they got a 43-36 win over Louisiana-Monroe, before starting a four game road trip, picking up a 38-23 win over Western Kentucky, falling to Troy 38-21, getting a 27-6 win at North Texas and defeating Middle Tennessee State 45-3 to wrap up the trip. They return home for their final three games of the year, starting with a visit from us.

Final Score
    34, 9

Stat(s) of the Game:
    FIU Offense – Medlock did great, going 10 of 16 for 236 yards and 3 touchdowns. Johnson was god, picking up 187 yards on 20 carries for a 9.3 average and 1 touchdown.

FIU Defense – Had their usual Swiss cheese moments, but for the most part, had an outstanding game.

FIU Kicking – A perfect 2-2 field goals and 4-4 extra points.

Scoring Summary

Team 1st Quarter 2nd Quarter 3rd Quarter 4th Quarter Final Score
    10 3 14 7 34
    0 2 7 0 9

Time Team Result Play Score
    First Quarter
    3:16 Touchdown D. Ryhmes, 19 yard pass from J.Medlock (Y. Hagen kick) 7-0
    0:05 Field Goal Y. Hagen, 32 yard field goal 10-0
    Second Quarter
    3:22 Safety J. Medlock out back of end zone 10-2
    0:05 Field Goal Y. Hagen, 17 yard field goal 13-2
    Third Quarter
    4:33 Touchdown M. Cunningham, returned kickoff 102 yards (J. West kick) 13-9
    2:46 Touchdown W. Wright, 9 yard pass from J. Medlock (Y. Hagen kick) 20-9
    1:48 Touchdown G. Coleman, 71 yard pass from J. Medlock (Y. Hagen kick) 27-9
    Fourth Quarter
    0:27 Touchdown S. Johnson, 5 yard run (Y. Hagen kick) 34-9

Game Stats

Florida International Stat Florida Atlantic
    34 Score 9
    15 First Downs 9
    450 Total Offense 159
    26 - 214 - 1 Rushes - Yards - TD 16 - 57 - 0
    10 - 16 - 3 Comp - Att - TD 10 - 19 - 0
    236 Passing Yards 102
    1 Times Sacked 2
    4 - 6 (66%) 3rd Down Conversion 3 - 9 (33%)
    0 - 0 (0%) 4th Down Conversion 0 - 0 (0%)
    0 - 0 (0%) 2-Point Conv 0 - 0 (0%)
    5 - 3 - 2 (100%) Red Zone - TD - FG 4 - 0 - 0 (0%)
    0 Turnovers 0
    0 Fumbles Lost 0
    0 Intercepted 0
    7 Punt Return Yards 0
    45 Kick Return Yards 252
    502 Total Yards 411
    0 – 0.0 Punts - Average 5 - 42.6
    1 - 12 Penalties 2 - 10
    13:41 Time of Possession 6:19

Florida International Contract Goals Update

Fail Impact Goal Progress Pass Impact
    500+ rushing yards in each season
    Win 8 games in one season
    2000+ total offensive yards in each season
    7+ passing TD in one season
    10+ points per game in each season 31 PPG
    2400+ total offensive yards in one season
    Win 4 games in one season
    2000+ total offensive yards in one season

Job Security Status

96%

Nothing like giving little brother an ass whooping. Great all around team effort, and a huge momentum booster heading into week 10 at Arkansas State.

Looking at the conference, we are still on top at 6-0, but we have Troy and Arkansas State both breathing down our asses, the Trojans sitting at 5-1 and the Red Wolves at 4-1. Louisiana-Monroe could techincally be considered in it still at 3-2, but best they could hope for is a share of the title, and it's nigh impossible that we'll lose our last two games, Troy will lose their last game, and Arkansas State will lose one of their last three games, all needing to happen for ULM to have any shot.

On the national scene, in the game of the week and yet another #1 vs #2 showdown, #2 Alabama improved to 10-0 on the year and 7-0 in the SEC in a crazy and wild one, defeating #1 Mississippi State (9-1, 6-1) 45-44. Mississippi State had a 28-11 lead at halftime, but the Tide had a furious comeback, outscoring the Bulldogs 20-9 in the fourth quarter, scoring the game winning touchdown on a 66 yard pass with 7 seconds left in the game.

Elsewhere, #3 Ohio State remained undefeated at 10-0 and 6-0 in the Big Ten with a 39-19 win over 4-6 Indiana, #4 Oklahoma (9-0, 6-0) edged out 5-5 Notre Dame, 35-33, #5 Wisconsin improved to 9-1 for the year, 5-1 in the Big Ten with a 42-21 win over #9 Penn State (8-2, 4-2). #7 Boise State (8-1, 6-0) kept their national championship hopes alive with a 42-30 win over Rutgers (7-2, 5-1) in Big East action. Iowa improved to 7-3 knocking off $17 Nebraska 34-14, #21 Stanford beat #19 Oregon State 42-21, #22 Georgia Tech improved to 7-3 with a 38-20 over #23 Virginia.

You beat the everliving shit out of them! Nicely done!

You beat the everliving shit out of them! Nicely done!
    That we did. Granted, they weren't exactly that great to begin with. They're about as bad in my current season of this dynasty as they are out of the box in NCAA 13. Plus the drop down to Varsity to get these games played and over with. Arkansas State and Central Florida should be tougher games.

Nothing like giving little brother an ass whooping. Great all around team effort, and a huge momentum booster heading into week 10 at Arkansas State.

Looking at the conference, we are still on top at 6-0, but we have Troy and Arkansas State both breathing down our asses, the Trojans sitting at 5-1 and the Red Wolves at 4-1. Louisiana-Monroe could techincally be considered in it still at 3-2, but best they could hope for is a share of the title, and it's nigh impossible that we'll lose our last two games, Troy will lose their last game, and Arkansas State will lose one of their last three games, all needing to happen for ULM to have any shot.

On the national scene, in the game of the week and yet another #1 vs #2 showdown, #2 Alabama improved to 10-0 on the year and 7-0 in the SEC in a crazy and wild one, defeating #1 Mississippi State (9-1, 6-1) 45-44. Mississippi State had a 28-11 lead at halftime, but the Tide had a furious comeback, outscoring the Bulldogs 20-9 in the fourth quarter, scoring the game winning touchdown on a 66 yard pass with 7 seconds left in the game.

Elsewhere, #3 Ohio State remained undefeated at 10-0 and 6-0 in the Big Ten with a 39-19 win over 4-6 Indiana, #4 Oklahoma (9-0, 6-0) edged out 5-5 Notre Dame, 35-33, #5 Wisconsin improved to 9-1 for the year, 5-1 in the Big Ten with a 42-21 win over #9 Penn State (8-2, 4-2). #7 Boise State (8-1, 6-0) kept their national championship hopes alive with a 42-30 win over Rutgers (7-2, 5-1) in Big East action. Iowa improved to 7-3 knocking off $17 Nebraska 34-14, #21 Stanford beat #19 Oregon State 42-21, #22 Georgia Tech improved to 7-3 with a 38-20 over #23 Virginia.
    Wow! That national game of the weeks sound awesome! Personally I was pulling for Mississippi St.

Game Ten

Game Notes

--- Continuing down the homestretch of the 2013 season, the conference race still as tight as ever, with us on top at 6-0, Troy right on our asses as 6-1 and Arkansas State right behind at 4-1. If we win this game, we clinch at least a guaranteed share of the title. If we lose, it’s all up in the air. The Red Wolves come into the game with a 6-3 record, 4-1 in the Sun Belt and look to continue their winning ways over us, sitting at 2-0 against us in my career. We, meanwhile, are looking to continue our best ever winning streak, sitting currently at six games. We won the coin toss and elected to kick.

The Red Wolves had a minor setback at the start of their offensive drive, getting tagged for a false start penalty, but Phillip Butterfield got the offense corrected quickly, throwing passes of 6 and 12 yards for an early first down. After a three yard rush by Sir Gregory Thornton, Butterfield threw a 4 yard pass to make it third and three before picking up the first down by himself on a five yard rush. After a 19 yard pass, Thornton got tackled for a two yard loss, though quickly made it up with a 15 yard pass to Carlos McCants. After an incomplete pass, Butterfield found Dexter Samuel for two yards and Thornton picked up six yards on the ground, not enough however, as the Red Wolves were left with fourth and one from our 11 yard line. Bobby Zalud got the Red Wolves on the board first with a 28 yard field goal, making it 3-0 with 2:58 left in the first quarter. Our first drive got started on the 21 yard line, Storm Johnson taking the ball up the gut. Up the gut didn’t gain much as the Red Wolves defense swarmed Johnson for only a two yard gain. Two incomplete passes, and that was the end of our drive.

After calling fair catch on the 38 yard punt at their own 38 yard line, the Red Wolves again started moving the ball, with Thornton picking up four yards before Butterfield connected with McCants for 16 yards. After a two yard rush by Butterfield made it second and 8 at our 40 yard line, Butterfield was forced to throw the ball away on consecutive plays, bring the ASU drive screeching to a halt. Zalud’s punt went 44 yards and ended in a touchback. Our next offensive drive, we came out firing as Jake Medlock found Willis Wright for a 24 yard gain along the right hash marks for a first down at our 44 yard line. After a three yard rush by Johnson and an incomplete pass by Medlock, Johnson was able to haul in an 11 yard pass from Medlock on third and 7 to give our offense new life in Arkansas State territory at their 42 yard line. After an incomplete pass intended for Wright, Medlock found Dominique Rhymes over the middle for a 19 yard gain, before connecting with Wright for a 23 yard touchdown pass as the clock hit all zeros. A PAT by Yusef Hagen and we had a 7-3 lead at the end of the first quarter.

After a 16 yard kickoff return to open up the second quarter and start the Red Wolves at their own 21 yard line, it was nowhere but backwards for their offense, as Butterfield was tackled for a four yard loss, and two incomplete passes, left the Red Wolves facing fourth and 14 at their own 17 yard line. A 40 yard punt was fair caught by Johnson to give us the ball at our 42 yard line. Johnson got our drive off to a fast start, picking up 12 yards on an off tackle rush, to give us first down at the ASU 46 yard line. Johnson kept it going as he hauled in a 19 yard pass from Medlock, giving us first down at the 28 yard line. A 17 yard pass to Rhymes set up first down at the 11 yard line with 3:47 left in the half. Johnson would only need one more play, taking a pitch left, beating the corner and diving over the pylon and into the end zone for the 11 yard touchdown rush, giving us a 14-3 lead with 3:32 left in the first half.

Despite starting on their own 12 yard line, the Red Wolves had little worry as our defense handed them five free yards on an offside penalty, before Thornton picked up a first down with a 7 yard rush. After throwing away a pass, Butterfield rushed for a pair of four yards gains, leaving the Red Wolves with fourth and two on their 34 yard line and another punt coming up. Taking back over on offense on our 30 yard line, Johnson and Darrian Mallary combined in an unstoppable rushing effort, breaking off six straight rushes of 4, 19, 18, 3, 10 and 14 yards, before Johnson walked the ball in on first and goal from the half yard line for the touchdown, making it 21-3 with 31 seconds left in the first half. After a 23 yard kickoff return out to the ASU 33 yard line, four straight incomplete passes from Butterfield brought the first half to a close, with us holding a surprising 21-3 lead over the Red Wolves.

A touchback on the opening kickoff of the second half got us started from the 20 yard line. Keeping the ground game going, Johnson broke off runs of 6 and 7 yards, giving us first down at our 33 yard line, before Johnson got stood up by two Red Wolves defenders on the first down play and was stripped. The Red Wolves recovered the fumble and took over possession on our 41 yard line. After a 2 yard rush by Butterfield, Butterfield found Thornton for a 14 yard gain before throwing deep to McCants for a 25 yard touchdown pass, making it 21-10 with 3:45 left in the third quarter. A 24 yard kickoff return got us started at our 32 yard line for the next drive. Johnson once again got us started on the ground, picking up nine yards on first down before busting loose for a 23 yard gain, giving us another first down at the Red Wolves 37 yard line. Returning to the air, Medlock threw incomplete on first down before finding Glenn Coleman for a 16 yard gain to give us first down at the 21 yard line. A four yard pickup to Johnson was followed with a 13 yard play action pass to Aaron Clark, setting us up with first and goal at the 5 yard line. After a halfback dive attempt only gained two yards, the remaining seconds ticked off the clock before we could get the next snap off, bringing the third quarter to an end, our lead sitting at 21-10.

Opening up the fourth quarter, we again tried to go up the middle, but Johnson was tackled for no gain, bringing up third and goal from the three yard line. The third down pass attempt was knocked down, leading to a 20 yard field goal by Hagen, extending our lead to 24-10 with 4:17 left in the game. After a 15 yard kickoff return set the Red Wolves up at their own 19 yard line, they quickly started on their drive, with Thornton picking up 8 yards on the ground before Butterfield found R.J. Fleming for a 9 yard gain. After an incomplete pass on first down, Butterfield tore our defense to shreds with passes of 9, 17 and 12 yards, leading to first down at our 26 yard line. After another incomplete first down pass, Butterfield connected with Thornton for 14 yards, our defense got tagged with a one yard penalty, and Butterfield found Fleming again, this time for 8 yards, setting up second and two at our two yard line. A Thornton rush went for a loss of two, leaving the Red Wolves with third and four from the five yard line, before Thornton found pay dirt with a five yard touchdown rush, making it 24-17 with 2:39 left to play.

Johnson returned the 65 yard kickoff out 21 yards, starting our offensive drive at our 26 yard line with 2:29 left in the game. Trying to run out the clock, Johnson was able to pick up 8 yards before the Red Wolves called timeout with 2:16 left to play. Another rush attempt by Johnson netted two yards, leaving us with third and inches, as the Red Wolves called another timeout with 2:13 left to play. Attempting a pitch right on third down, Johnson was unable to get turned up field, being run out of bounds for no gain with 2:08 left in the gain and the punt team coming on the field. A booming punt left the Red Wolves starting on their own 15 yard line and only 1:59 left to play, and their offensive drive started poorly, as Artez Brown was tackled for a three yard loss, pushing the Red Wolves back to their 12 yard line. Arkansas State kept their drive alive as Butterfield hit a pass to Brown for 11 yards before Thornton converted on third and two with a three yard rush. After an incomplete pass, our defense got tagged with a 13 yard penalty, giving the Red Wolves first down at their 39 yard line with 1:29 left to play. Butterfield took full advantage, finding Thornton for a 17 yard gain, and Brown for another quick 23 yards, down to our 21 yard line with 1:14 left. After an incomplete pass, Butterfield hit J.D. McKissic for 21 yards, setting up first and goal at the half yard line with 1:01 left to play. One the very next play, Butterfield dove in for the touchdown on a QB sneak, tying the game up at 24 points apiece with 52 seconds left in the game.

After a 31 yard return by Johnson, out to our 29 yard line, our offense was left with 39 seconds to get into field goal range. Rhymes got our drive started with a quick 20 yard pass from Medlock, setting up first down at our 49 yard line with 34 seconds left. After using our first timeout, Medlock found Coleman coming across the middle, but the play resulted for only a gain of 11 yards, leaving us with first down at the ASU 40 yard line and 28 seconds left to play, forcing a second timeout. Two incomplete passes left our drive in jeopardy, before Medlock sealed the fate of the drive, taking a sack for a loss of 8 yards with 17 seconds left to play. Hagen kept us in alive for overtime after booting the punt 47 yards, leaving the Red Wolves on their one yard line with 7 seconds left to play. On the Red Wolves first play, it turned out overtime would not be needed in end, as in one of the craziest endings to a game I had ever seen, Thornton was tackled just over the goal line for a safety, giving us a 26-24 lead with three seconds to play. The ensuing safety punt ran out the remaining seconds and sealed the victory for us, our first victory over the Red Wolves since I took over as offensive coordinator.

With the win, we improve to 7-3 on the season, 7-0 in the Sun Belt Conference and clinch at least a share of the 2013 SBC title. With the loss, Arkansas State drops to 6-4 for the season and 4-2 in conference play, eliminating the Red Wolves from any chance at the conference title. Up next, we return home to for some in-state warfare, hosting #10 UCF. The Knights come into the game with an 8-2 record and sitting in third place in the Big East with a 6-2 conference mark. Looking back on their season, UCF opened up the year with a 27-20 overtime win at Louisville, got a 55-31 win at Houston, lost 45-10 at #7 Boise State, picked up a 28-14 win at home over Cincinnati, and lost 38-24 to Rutgers. They then responded by reeling off five straight wins, 42-7 over South Florida, 31-28 against Marshall, 35-10 against Connecticut, 35-3 over Akron and 31-15 at San Diego State. They close out their year at FIU and at SMU.

Final Score
    26, 24

Stat(s) of the Game:
    FIU Offense – Definitely a combined effort today. Passing games was beast at times, running game was beast at other times, and there were times both sucked. Ultimately did enough to keep us there at the end until we got lucky.

FIU Defense – Had their usual Swiss cheese moments, was doing great until the fourth quarter, came through huge in the clutch for us in the final seconds.

FIU Kicking – Another perfect day, 1 for 1 in field goals, 3 for 3 in extra points.

Scoring Summary

Team 1st Quarter 2nd Quarter 3rd Quarter 4th Quarter Final Score
    7 14 0 5 26
    3 0 7 14 24

Time Team Result Play Score
    First Quarter
    3:01 Field Goal B. Zalud, 27 yard field goal 3-0
    0:00 Touchdown W. Wright, 23 yard pass from J. Medlock (Y. Hagen kick) 7-3
    Second Quarter
    3:32 Touchdown S. Johnson, 11 yard run (Y. Hagen kick) 14-3
    0:31 Touchdown S. Johnson, 1 yard run (Y. Hagen kick) 21-3
    Third Quarter
    3:45 Touchdown C. McCants, 25 yards pass from P. Butterfield (B. Zalud kick) 21-10
    Fourth Quarter
    4:19 Field Goal Y. Hagen, 20 yard field goal 24-10
    2:39 Touchdown S. Thornton, 5 yard run, (B. Zalud kick) 24-17
    0:52 Touchdown P. Butterfield, 0 yard run (B. Zalud kick) TIED 24-24
    0:03 Safety S. Thornton tackled in the end zone 26-24

Game Stats

Florida International Stat Arkansas State
    26 Score 24
    16 First Downs 15
    330 Total Offense 292
    21 - 153 - 2 Rushes - Yards - TD 18 - 38 - 2
    11 - 19 - 1 Comp - Att - TD 19 - 33 - 1
    177 Passing Yards 254
    1 Times Sacked 0
    1 - 5 (20%) 3rd Down Conversion 4 - 9 (44%)
    0 - 0 (0%) 4th Down Conversion 0 - 1 (0%)
    0 - 0 (0%) 2-Point Conv 0 - 0 (0%)
    5 - 2 - 1 (60%) Red Zone - TD - FG 3 - 2 - 1 (100%)
    1 Turnovers 0
    1 Fumbles Lost 0
    0 Intercepted 0
    6 Punt Return Yards 0
    122 Kick Return Yards 94
    458 Total Yards 386
    3 – 45.0 Punts - Average 3 - 41.0
    3 - 19 Penalties 1 - 5
    11:55 Time of Possession 8:05

Florida International Contract Goals Update

Fail Impact Goal Progress Pass Impact
    500+ rushing yards in each season