Page 17 of 85 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Smooth Pancakes' Coaching Carousel Career

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    It's called being anal. (I'm the same way)
    That's the word I was looking for. I couldn't think of the right word last night when I typed that post, had a mental block at the time, so I just chose the "description" route instead.

I also need to make a mental note, with Navy now officially joining the Big East in 2015, that when I hit 2015 in two seasons, to remember to move Navy over. I think other than that, I'm completely current with conference changes that are set to occur over the next 2-3 years in real life (besides my Temple from the MAC to CUSA move, to A: make the MAC an even 12 teams since I can't add UMass, and B: give CUSA some additional teams to lessen the damage from all the teams leaving for the Big East this past off-season).

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Man, the Big East is gonna be SO weird after WVU, Pitt, and Syracuse leave. Crazy.

Especially when Houston, Boise, UCF, and SMU fill in.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Yeah, FIU has a line of good HBs, with Darriet Perry the first year, Darrian Mallary and Jeremiah Harden the second year, Darrian Mallary the third year. Then I hit the jackpot with Storm Johnson, giving me him the third year as well. Unfortunately for Mallary, despite breaking/setting every one but the career rushing records, I just can't start him over Storm Johnson when it's so night and day as to their ratings.

Yep, Rhymes is one of my favorite players. He has come through huge for me from as TE. We've almost become New England Patriots like, with Rhymes some game being my main target and letting him be the workhorse of my passing game instead of my WRs.

Haha, yeah, if you gotten Storm Johnson in the OD, you'd be tearing it up on the field. At least you got Shayon Green though, he was a huge boost to my MLB corps.
    I didn't have em year one someone else did, but since taking over we're 2-0 all time in bowls haha just finished 10-3 year 3. Rhymes had 987 yards receiving he is my leading receiver. Going into year four we are down and pretty young, signed a 5* running back tho haha.

Quote Originally Posted by HailHail30 View Post
    Especially when Houston, Boise, UCF, and SMU fill in.
    And San Diego State. You can't get much more "West Coast" than that in the f-in Big East ...
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

For the record, gonna be finally getting around to my ass whooping from Texas A&M here within the next hour or so. Game summary will be up later tonight.

For the record, gonna be finally getting around to my ass whooping from Texas A&M here within the next hour or so. Game summary will be up later tonight.
    Awesome. Hopefully you are able to pull off an upset!

Awesome. Hopefully you are able to pull off an upset!
    Well, after getting whooped last year by Arkansas State, UCF and Louisville, going up against a Texas A&M team, with a bit weaker FIU roster this season, I'm not holding my breath.

And starting up the 360 right now, so time get her going.

Game One

Game Notes

--- A new season, a new adventure. Starting off with the toughest opponent yet in the last three seasons, we welcomed the Texas A&M Aggies into town, our first ever game against a Big 12 team. It was going to be a tough challenge, as our team had lost some skilled and talented players from last season. It was a sunny afternoon with only a couple clouds here and there in the sky on a warm September day. Texas A&M lost the coin toss, and we elected to kick.

Putting our trust in our defense was proven a correct decision, as the defensive unit shut down the Aggies quickly, giving up only 7 yards on two rushes before forcing the first Texas A&M punt of the season. Deciding to test out our new starting halfback in Storm Johnson, we started off our first offensive drive of the season on the ground. After a run up the middle got stuffed for only a gain of one yard, Johnson showed off his speed and agility on the next play, a sweep right, as he was able to turn the corner and run up the sideline for a gain of 23 yards before finally being brought down. A stretch play to the left and another attempt up the middle, and we had our second first down of the game as Johnson gained a combined 14 yards on the two plays, advancing the ball to the Aggies 40 yard line. A second sweep right attempt, this time with Darrian Mallary in the backfield, ended in a one yard loss, causing us to go to the air for the first time of the game. A 7 yard pass, followed by a 5 yard pass from Jake Medlock to Johnson on third and 4 gave us another first down, at the Texas A&M 30 yard line. After another rush by Johnson only gained two yards, Medlock was able to find Dominique Rhymes across the middle on third and 8 for a 17 yard gain, giving us another first down on the 12 yard line. Another rush attempt on first down ended in a loss of 2 yards, as the Aggies defense seemed ready to pounce on my running game now, forcing us back into the air. After an incomplete pass on second and 12, Medlock got a pass off to Wayne Times, who was running across the middle two yards deep in the end zone, however Times was unable to hold onto the ball as he was hit by a pair of defenders immediately after catching it. What had been a 13 play, 64 yard drive, ended with no points as Yusef Hagen missed the 31 yard field goal attempt.

Texas A&M's offense appeared ready this time, as they quickly gained 27 yards on four plays, but cornerback Jose Cheeseborough killed their drive with an interception that he returned 15 yards down to the Aggies 37 yard line, giving our offense a second chance. The Aggies were once again more than ready for our rushing attack, as Johnson was only able to manage two yards on first down before being brought down. Two overthrown passes and a knocked down pass attempt on fourth down, after Coach Cristobal had us go for it, and the ball was turned over on downs. The Aggies offense again quickly started advancing the ball, using a rush of 6 yards and passes of 17, 4 and 5 yards to get as close as our 33 yard line, before kicking a 50 yard field goal on fourth and 1 to take a 3-0 lead with 1:14 left in the first quarter. A pair of batted down passed and a dropped pass by Rhymes, his second of the day, and we punted the ball right back. Our defense rose to the challenge this time, with the Aggies quickly going three and out, punting the ball right back to our offense. It was on the punt where we got a huge break, as our defense broke through and blocked the punt, with left outside linebacker Bubba Brown jumping on the ball, giving our offense the ball on the Texas A&M 11 yard line with 30 seconds left to play in the quarter. A pair of rushes by Johnson for 4 yards, and that was the end of the first quarter, Texas A&M leading 3-0.

The first play of the second quarter found us on the Texas A&M 7 yard line, facing a third and 6 situation on offense. One play was all we needed as Medlock was able to connect with Johnson for a 7 yard touchdown pass, Johnson's first touchdown in a Florida International uniform, and we took the lead, 7-3, with just 3 seconds coming off the clock in the second quarter. Some issues from last season started to appear to be returning to haunt us on Texas A&M's next drive, as on third and 1, our defense gave the Aggies a free first down via a pass interference penalty. However the defense quickly recovered with a tackle for a loss of two yards on first down and forcing an incomplete pass on third and 8 to force the Aggies to punt the ball. Starting on our 5 yard line, Medlock took full advantage of the Aggies defense, who were showing a heavy blitz, connecting with Rhymes for a 19 yard gain, moving the ball out to the 24 yard line. Another rush attempt on first down, once again, only resulted in a 2 yard gain, as the Aggies defense continued to key to our run game. The Aggies would get flagged for offside off the next play, however we would decline it, as Willis Wright was able to haul in a 12 yard pass to give us another first down. A pitch to the left on first down did finally gain some extra yards, as Johnson was able to pick up 4 yards before being tackled. After an incomplete pass set up third and 6, the Aggies defense made a huge error, as blown coverage by the A&M safeties left Times wide open down the right sideline, who was able to haul in the pass from Medlock, and race 56 yards down to the Aggies 3 yard line before being tackled. One play of blown coverage, with the safety failing to pick up Times after the cornerback had passed him off to the safety, took us from what appeared to be an impending punt, to first goal on the 3 yard line. Three plays later, we were unable to find a crack in the Aggies goal line defense, forcing us to disappointingly walk away with nothing more than a 20 yard field goal.

The Aggies offense meanwhile put themselves into an immediate hole with a false start penalty on first down, and would end up only getting those 5 yards back before being forced to punt once again. Unfortunately, our offense fell into an even bigger hole, as Medlock was sacked on the first play for an 11 yard loss. A pair of incomplete passes, and we were forced to punt the ball right back. The Aggies decided to use this time to show off their running game, as Mister Jones used rushes of 5, 8, 7, and 5 yards, along with 6 yards from Antonio Pollard, and a 20 yard pass from Jameill Showers to Nehemiah Hicks, getting as close as our 19 yard line, before Mark Pace missed a 36 yard field goal with 1:05 left in the half. Starting our next drive on our 20 yard line, with only 1:05 left to play, we immediately took to the air, hoping to get at least some extra points before halftime. We would only need two plays, as on second and 10, Wright managed to get behind the coverage, Medlock floated a perfect pass over the secondary, hitting Wright in stride, who then outran the defense 80 yards all the way to the end zone. One extra point later, and we had a 17-3 lead with 51 seconds left until halftime. Texas A&M seemed to want to just get into halftime, as a 5 yard pass and a 10 yard rush was all it took for the clock to run out.

Our offense came out at the beginning of the second half, looking to build on that 17-3 lead and try to put an early dagger into the heart of the Aggies. That dagger instead ended up being plunged into our own hearts, as Medlock's pass attempt to Times was picked of by safety Howard Matthews (gaining some redemption for his blown coverage earlier in the game on Times' 56 yard reception), returning the interception 22 yards down to our 23 yard line. A pair of 7 yard passes by Showers gave the Aggies first and goal on our 8 yard line, before Showers hit Malcome Kennedy for an 8 yard touchdown pass, making it 17-10 with 7:38 left in the third quarter. After Johnson again got shut down on the ground, Medlock proved he was not letting that interception affect him, hitting Rhymes for 5 yards, Johnson for 7 yards, Rhymes for an additional 12 yards, and Ezekiel Turner for 18 yards, giving us first and 10 on the Texas A&M 36 yard line. On second and 10, the defense failed to pick up Johnson as he snuck out of the backfield before catching a pass from Medlock, and outrunning the defense down to the Aggies 12 yard line for a gain of 24 yards. That was all that would come from the drive however as Medlock, trying to hit Aaron Clark, who was cutting across the middle of the field right on the goal line, threw the ball directly into the hands of Aggies left outside linebacker Charlie Thomas, who returned it 10 yards out to their own 17 yard line. That proved a huge swing of momentum as Showers connected on passes of 10, 19, 25 and 13 yards, before a 5 yard rush on third and 9 forced the Aggies to settle for a 26 yard field goal, making it 17-13 with 3:31 left in the third quarter.

Everything quickly went plummeting off a cliff for us, as a 15 yard penalty was assessed against the defense on the kickoff, and then Mallary committed the first fumble of the game, recovered by Texas A&M at our 4 yard line. Showers needed only one play, a 4 yard pass to Evans to give the Aggies a 20-17 lead. A 10 point swing in just 18 seconds took us from a 17-10 lead to a 20-17 deficit. Medlock was not about to let the Aggies steal all of the momentum in the game, connecting with Rhymes, who went uncovered up the right-middle of the field, taking it for a 42 yard gain before being tackled at the A&M 38 yard line. The Aggies defense continued to shoot themselves in the foot, as Glenn Coleman was able to get behind the cornerback who was covering him, hauling in a pass for a 26 yard gain, giving us first down at the A&M 12 yard line. That would be the last first down of our drive though, as a 4 yard pass to Clark, a 3 yard pass to Johnson, followed by an incomplete pass on third and 3 brought our drive to an end, with Hagen kicking a 22 yard field goal to make it a 20-20 tie with 1:35 left to play in the third quarter. The Aggies came out firing right back, as Showers completed 11 and 18 yard passes to give A&M a first down on our 47 yard line. However, a tackle for a 3 yard loss on a rush by Jones was enough to overcome a 5 yard rush and a 5 yard offside penalty on our defense, forcing A&M into third and 3. Two incomplete passes, and Texas A&M turned the ball over on downs at our 40 yard line with 5 seconds left in the quarter. And the third quarter would end on a sour note for our offense, as Medlock was sacked for a 12 yard loss, bringing the quarter to an end with a 20-20 tie.

On the very first play of the fourth quarter, Rhymes hauled in a 19 yard pass after getting behind the linebackers, giving us third and 4. Medlock was able to scramble away from an overwhelming blitz on the left side, hitting Johnson for a 10 yard gain to give us first down on the A&M 44 yard line. A 14 yard pass to Johnson on second and 10 advanced the ball down to the 29 yard line. After a pair of incomplete passes made it third and 10, Rhymes was able to get separation from his defender on a post route and Medlock completed a pass to him for a 25 yard gain down to the A&M 5 yard line. After going almost nothing but pass for the entire game, we decided to try a pitch to Johnson off the left side, trying to catch the Aggies defense off guard. It unfortunately backfired, as our offensive line was overrun and Johnson was tackled for a 3 yard loss. A pair of incomplete passes, and we once again had to settle for a field goal, this one from 25 yards, making it 23-20 with 6:47 left to play in the game. Despite a 7 yard pass on first down, the Aggies offense was unable to keep their drive alive as a false start penalty on second and 3, followed by a dropped pass, forcing the Aggies to punt the ball away.

The first play of our drive, was the only play of our drive, as Medlock, attempting to hit Rhymes on a crossing route, was intercepted by middle linebacker Nick Hall, giving the Aggies the ball back at midfield. This time the Aggies offense found a rhythm, as Jones broke off rushes of 5, 6, 9, 5 and 2 yards, along with passes of 5 and 14 yards by Showers, before on second and goal from our 5 yard line, Showers found Kennedy in the end zone for a 5 yard touchdown pass, giving the Aggies a 27-23 lead with 3:55 left to play. A 22 yard pass to Rhymes on second and 10 gave us first down on the 50 yard line with 3:31 left in the game. A pair of incomplete passes, followed by a sack for a loss of 13 yards, brought our drive crumbling to an end with 3:14 left to play. The Aggies wasted little time nailing shut the coffin, using rushes of 4, 12, 4, and 3 yards by Jones, along with passes of 10, 12 and 29 yards from Showers, giving A&M first and goal on our 2 yard line. A 2 yard pass from Showers to Nate Askew with 1:19 left on the clock made it 34-23, destroying any chances of a comeback. An interception by Matthews (his second of the game) on the first play of our drive, returned 8 yards down to our 30 yard line before being tackled, killed our final chances. A kneel by Showers and a couple rushes by Jones was all it took for the clock to run out.

With the loss, we drop to 0-1 to start the season. With the win, Texas A&M improves to 1-0. Up next we get a bye week (for me to run the players to death) before making our first road trip of the season, to #20 Washington. Washington is 1-1 on the year, getting an early 42-3 Pac-12 win over Colorado, before losing at home to #12 Boise State, 49-23.

Final Score
    34, 23

Stat(s) of the Game:
    - FIU Offense – Despite being a beast, Storm Johnson just could not get anything going against the Aggies defense, finishing with 47 yards on 17 carries. Medlock meanwhile, despite throwing for 434 yards and 2 touchdowns, cost us the game, throwing 4 interceptions, including interceptions on two of our final three drives, to which the Aggies scored the two touchdowns they needed to take the lead and then secure the victory. Also, once again, our goal line offense and red zone offense sucked. 7 times inside the A&M 20 yard line, and all we got was one touchdown and three field goals. That cannot keep happening.

- FIU Defense – Our defense, for the most part did good, holding A&M to only 270 yards passing, all the while constantly having their backs against the wall thanks to Medlock's interceptions. They did however give up 153 yards rushing, which is unacceptable if we're going to win games this year.

- FIU Kicker Yusef Hagen – His first start as a kicker was a decent one, going 3 for 4 in field goals with a long of 25 and 2 for 2 in extra points. However, that 31 yard miss in the first quarter came back to bite us, as instead of needing only a field goal at the end to take the lead, we needed a touchdown instead, forcing us to throw the ball.

Scoring Summary

Team 1st Quarter 2nd Quarter 3rd Quarter 4th Quarter Final Score
    3 0 17 14 34
    0 17 3 3 23

Time Team Result Play Score
    First Quarter
    1:18 Field Goal M. Pace, 49 yard field goal 3-0
    Second Quarter
    8:57 Touchdown S. Johnson, 7 yard pass from J. Medlock (Y. Hagen kick) 7-3
    4:25 Field Goal Y. Hagen, 20 yard field goal 10-3
    0:51 Touchdown W. Wright, 80 yard pass from J. Medlock (Y. Hagen kick) 17-3
    Third Quarter
    7:38 Touchdown M. Kennedy, 8 yard pass from J. Showers (M. Pace kick) 17-10
    3:34 Field Goal M. Pace, 25 yard field goal 17-13
    3:16 Touchdown M. Evans, 4 yard pass from J. Showers (M. Pace kick) 20-17
    1:38 Field Goal Y. Hagen, 22 yard field goal TIED 20-20
    Fourth Quarter
    6:50 Field Goal Y. Hagen, 24 yard field goal 23-20
    3:55 Touchdown M. Kennedy, 4 yard pass from J. Showers (M. Pace kick) 27-23
    1:19 Touchdown N. Askew, 17 yard pass from J. Showers (M. Pace kick) 34-23

Game Stats

Texas A&M Stat Florida International
    34 Score 23
    22 First Downs 17
    423 Total Offense 444
    36 - 153 - 0 Rushes - Yards - TD 21 - 10- 0
    26 - 45 - 4 Comp - Att - TD 22 - 50 - 2
    270 Passing Yards 434
    0 Times Sacked 3
    5 - 15 (33%) 3rd Down Conversion 7 - 15 (46%)
    0 - 1 (0%) 4th Down Conversion 0 - 1 (0%)
    0 - 0 (0%) 2-Point Conv 0 - 0 (0%)
    6 - 3 - 1 (66%) Red Zone - TD - FG 7 - 1 - 3 (57%)
    2 Turnovers 5
    1 Fumbles Lost 1
    1 Intercepted 4
    14 Punt Return Yards 8
    102 Kick Return Yards 80
    539 Total Yards 532
    4 – 46.0 Punts - Average 3 - 46.3
    4 - 20 Penalties 5 - 54
    17:30 Time of Possession 18:30

Florida International Contract Goals Update

Fail Impact Goal Progress Pass Impact
    500+ rushing yards in each season 10
    Win 8 games in one season
    2000+ total offensive yards in each season 444
    7+ passing TD in one season
    10+ points per game in each season 23 PPG
    2400+ total offensive yards in one season
    Win 4 games in one season
    2000+ total offensive yards in one season
    Penalty
    Lost to a lower ranked team

Job Security Status

73%
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 01-27-2012 at 03:37 AM.

We had it. We had a 17-3 lead at halftime, all we had to do was get a touchdown or two more in the second half and we'd win. Instead we get a whole two fucking field goals. Medlock pisses me off, even with the points in the game where he was passing like Aaron Rodgers, he still pisses me off. Hagen is basically Griffin 2.0, he'll be reliable for the most part for field goals, but is probably going to average a miss per game over the course of the season.

Overall, I'm just plain pissed off after that game. Unfortunately, between it currently being 3am, and having work up the ass Friday afternoon/evening and for most of the day Saturday, it probably won't be until sometime Sunday before I can play Washington, so I can't harness and use this anger I have right now to try and bitchslap the Huskies. I wish I had a Bowling Green type team on the schedule this year that I could just bend over and take all my frustrations out on like I did last year with the actual Bowling Green team.

And some general updates from the first two weeks of the season. Florida might be headed for another sub-.500 record, barely beating Toledo 28-23. mors, sorry, but West Virginia lost their first ever Big 12 game, losing to Texas Tech 31-24 (Texas Tech scored with 53 seconds left in the game). After a great year last year, Utah is off to a bad start with a 27-24 loss to Utah State. #10 UCF almost blew it right off the bat, needing double overtime to beat Louisville 27-20.

In week 2, more bad news mors, West Virginia got abused by #4 Oklahoma 45-21, falling to 0-2 both on the season and in the Big 12. UCF recovered from last week's OT win to beat Houston in a Big East match-up 55-31. In a showdown of the top 20, #12 Boise State beat #19 Washington 49-23. And in the game of the week, in a top 3 battle, #2 TCU beats #3 LSU 38-31. TCU was winning 31-17 after 3 quarters, LSU scored twice, the last TD coming with 1:58 left, to tie it at 31-all. And TCU scores with 27 seconds left to play to claim the win.

And some general updates from the first two weeks of the season. Florida might be headed for another sub-.500 record, barely beating Toledo 28-23. mors, sorry, but West Virginia lost their first ever Big 12 game, losing to Texas Tech 31-24 (Texas Tech scored with 53 seconds left in the game). After a great year last year, Utah is off to a bad start with a 27-24 loss to Utah State. #10 UCF almost blew it right off the bat, needing double overtime to beat Louisville 27-20.

In week 2, more bad news mors, West Virginia got abused by #4 Oklahoma 45-21, falling to 0-2 both on the season and in the Big 12. UCF recovered from last week's OT win to beat Houston in a Big East match-up 55-31. In a showdown of the top 20, #12 Boise State beat #19 Washington 49-23. And in the game of the week, in a top 3 battle, #2 TCU beats #3 LSU 38-31. TCU was winning 31-17 after 3 quarters, LSU scored twice, the last TD coming with 1:58 left, to tie it at 31-all. And TCU scores with 27 seconds left to play to claim the win.
    Yeah, figured WVU would get trounced in the Big 12 in the game. We'll see differently in real life.

Wow, that TCU vs LSU game sounds like it would have been fun as hell to watch in real life! See what could be if the BCS wasn't so retarded?

We had it. We had a 17-3 lead at halftime, all we had to do was get a touchdown or two more in the second half and we'd win. Instead we get a whole two fucking field goals. Medlock pisses me off, even with the points in the game where he was passing like Aaron Rodgers, he still pisses me off. Hagen is basically Griffin 2.0, he'll be reliable for the most part for field goals, but is probably going to average a miss per game over the course of the season.

Overall, I'm just plain pissed off after that game. Unfortunately, between it currently being 3am, and having work up the ass Friday afternoon/evening and for most of the day Saturday, it probably won't be until sometime Sunday before I can play Washington, so I can't harness and use this anger I have right now to try and bitchslap the Huskies. I wish I had a Bowling Green type team on the schedule this year that I could just bend over and take all my frustrations out on like I did last year with the actual Bowling Green team.
    Tough break on the game man. I've had games like that and they're frustrating as hell. You were seriously behind the 8ball on that matchup though. I think you're in for a long season, unfortunately, but we'll see. Hopefully you can pull off a miracle or two.

Tough break on the game man. I've had games like that and they're frustrating as hell. You were seriously behind the 8ball on that matchup though. I think you're in for a long season, unfortunately, but we'll see. Hopefully you can pull off a miracle or two.
    Yeah, I can guarantee that the absolute best I could possibly do is 8-4, as I am going to lose to Washington, UCF (they have whooped me twice already and now they're a #10 ranked team) and Louisville (I still can't figure out the damn Cardinals). All I can hope for to save the season is another title run in the Sun Belt Conference, which will mean knocking off Troy a second time, and trying to finally somehow beat Arkansas State. All the other teams, I think and feel I can beat, besides Florida Atlantic only because they're our rivals and they play tough as hell no matter how good or bad they actually are. It's just Troy and Arkansas State that is going to decide if I'm 6-6, worse, or better, and if I can repeat our Sun Belt Conference title or not.

Alright Golden Panthers fans, FIU is hitting the road for the trip to Husky Stadium in the next hour and a half. Game report up later tonight. Depending on the time, I might also try to get the Louisville game in tonight as well.

Looking forward to it man. Hopefully you can pull something out of your ass against the Huskies. Gonna be a tough game.

Game Two

(25)

Game Notes

--- Coming off a hard loss to Texas A&M back in week one, things were not about to get any easier for us as we hit the road to take on the toughest opponent in team history, the 25th ranked Washington Huskies. While our team had anger from our letdown against the Aggies, we knew it would not be an easy one today. The sun shone brightly at kickoff, with perfect weather on the west coast in store for today. We won the coin toss and elected to kick, getting things underway.

It was immediately apparent that to have any chance to win today, our defense would have to shut down Washington halfback Jesse Callier, who gained 37 yards on 6 carries, combined with 19 yards on 3 of 4 passing from quarterback Keith Price, which included a one yard touchdown pass, on a 12 play, 3 minute drive, giving the Huskies an immediate 7-0 lead early in the game. Much to our joy, we quickly discovered that our running game would also have some success today, with Storm Johnson and Darrian Mallary combining to reel off 77 yards on 9 straight running plays, culminating in a 7 yard rush for a touchdown by Johnson with 3:03 left to play, making it a 7-7 tie. If we could keep the offense moving on the ground like that, with running play after running play, and not a single pass in the first drive, we might just have a chance in this game after all. It was going to come down to our defense having to do something, which they could not. Despite a holding penalty making it first and 20, Washington needed only a 6 yard run and a 16 yard pass to gain a new set of downs. Our defense continued to do little to slow the Huskies down, allowing two more big conversions, a 9 yard pass on third and 8, and a 17 yard pass on 3rd and 12, before a rush for a loss of 5 yards on third and 2 from our 25 yard line forced Washington into a fourth and 7 situation. The Huskies seemed to not care, as Price threw up an easy 25 yard completion on fourth and 7, giving their offense first and goal at our 7 yard line. Three plays later, the Huskies retook the lead behind an 8 yard pass from Price to James Johnson, making it 14-7 with 6 seconds left in the first quarter. The ensuing kickoff would bring the first quarter to an end, Washington leading 14-7.

Start of the second quarter found our offense coming onto the field, ball at the 20 yard line. After the massive success that we had on the previous drive, we chose to keep the ball on the ground again, relying on Johnson and Mallary to lead the way for us. This time the Huskies seemed ready for our run game, as Johnson was only able to gain 4 yards on two carries, before Medlock was forced to make his first pass of the day on third and 6. Medlock completed that first pass, a 6 yard strike to Johnson, setting up fourth and inches. Our offense decided to gamble and go for it, with Johnson gaining 7 yards on the ground, giving us a new set of downs and keeping the drive alive. A 3 yard rush by Johnson was all the further our offense would get, before two incomplete passes forced us to punt for the first time of the day. Our defense finally rose to the occasion, as after giving up a 16 yard pass on Washington's first play of the drive, they sacked Price for an 8 yard loss on second and 10, along with two incomplete passes, forcing Washington to punt the ball back just four plays later. A 9 yard return by Johnson gave our offense possession at the Washington 49 yard line. Our offense, however, would stall out without a single yard gained, as a pass to Rhymes on first down was dropped, ruining a perfect wide open play due to the Washington blitz, Medlock got hit as he released the ball on second down, and a third down pass was overthrown. Thankfully, Yosef Hagen got off a great punt, stuffing the Huskies at their 4 yard line.

Despite a pair of 4 and 8 yard rushes by the Huskies offense, Washington would end up going backwards, thanks to a sack for a loss of 11 yards, a rush for a loss of 1 yard by Zach Fogerson, and a rush for a loss of 2 yards by Callier, resulting in Washington punting from their own 2 yard line. A 7 yard return on the punt by Johnson, and our offense was back on the field, this time from the Washington 40 yard line, with 4:24 left to play in the first half. Despite the second straight drive starting in Washington territory, we again failed to gain any yards, as a run for no gain and two incomplete pass brought the punt team out once again. Callier proved the star of the Huskies next offensive drive, racking up 26 yards rushing and a 20 yard reception, getting Washington down to our 37 yard line, before a pass thrown away on third and 4 forced the Huskies into fourth down. An 8 yard penalty on our defense however generously gave Washington a new set of downs. The Huskies took full advantage of our defense's help, as a 13 yard pass from Price was followed up by a 16 yard touchdown run from Callier, giving Washington a 21-7 lead with 1:33 left in the half. Facing a 14 point deficit, and little time left to play, we went straight to the passing game, which ultimately proved fruitless, as three incomplete passes later, we were punting the ball away yet again. A 10 yard rush by Callier, followed by a 38 yard pass by Price to Kasen Williams, set up an 11 yard touchdown pass to Kevin Smith, giving Washington a 28-7 lead with 30 seconds left in the half. Starting on our own 18 yard line after the kickoff, we just handed the ball off to Johnson and let the clock run out, bringing the half to a merciful end, with the Washington Huskies on top, 28-7.

The start of the second half, we tried to get back to the success we were enjoying earlier on with our running game, but the Huskies thought otherwise, and after only a two yard gain by Johnson, we had to return to the air, where the Huskies were shutting us down. After an incomplete pass to Rhymes, we finally caught a break as Medlock was able to connect with Ezekiel Turner, who had sneaked past the secondary, resulting in a 40 yard gain and a first down on the Washington 41 yard line. A 3 yard rush and two incomplete passes later, found us facing fourth and 7 from the Washington 38 yard line. Coach Cristobal decided to have us go for it, hoping we could find a way to keep the drive alive. It would end however, as a pass attempt to Willis Wright would get knocked down. Despite Callier reeling off 19 yards, a holding penalty that made it second and 13 was a setback Washington could not overcome, as a 9 yard pass, followed by a rush for a loss of 3 yards, found the Huskies punting on fourth and 7 from our 46 yard line. That punt would only make it tougher on us, as our offense took the field on our own 7 yard line. An 8 yard rush by Johnson at least got us out from the shadow of our own goal post, before a 2 yard rush gave us a new set of downs. Those gains would be all we'd get on the ground though as the Huskies defense keyed right back on our run game. Two incomplete passes, and our punt team once again trotted back on the field.

It began to look as ugly, as a 17 yard return gave the Husky offense the ball on our 47 yard line, followed by a rush for 6 yards and a pass for 9 yards, making it first and 10 on our 32. Thankfully, a pair of 2 yard losses by Callier, and an incomplete pass, made it fourth and 15 for the Husky offense. Our defense again tried to help them out with an offside penalty, but an incomplete pass on fourth and 10 would result in Washington turning it over on downs. Starting the drive on our 32 yard line, Medlock connected with Wayne Times on the very first play, completing an 18 yard pass and advancing the ball to the 50 yard line. Things would quickly plummet off a cliff however, as on second and 10, Medlock was hit as he attempted to pass, resulting in a fumble that was pounced on by the Huskies defense, giving Washington the ball on our 36 yard line. Callier would give the offense a first down behind a pair of 5 yard rushes, before a 7 yard rush by Callier and two incomplete passes, would force Washington to kick a 36 yard field goal, making it 31-7 with 2 minutes left to play in the third quarter.

After a pair of incomplete passes left us facing third and 10 on our 28 yard line, Wright gave us new hope with a 21 yard reception, giving us a new set of downs on the 50 yard line. Wright continued to be our savior, hauling in a 13 yard pass on first down, giving us another set of downs on the Washington 37 yard line. A 25 yard pass to Rhymes on third down, would advance our offense to the Huskies 12 yard line, the closest we had been to the end zone since the first quarter. Another pass, this time 9 yards to Johnson, made it second and 1 on the 4 yard line. A rush by Johnson for a loss of 1 yard made it third and 2 on the 4 yard, also bringing the third quarter to an end, Washington leading 31-7.

The fourth quarter found us 4 yards away from the end zone, facing third and 2. Knowing that trying to get the touchdown or a first down on the ground was going to be impossible, we had no choice but to pass. It only took three quarters, but we finally found the end zone for a second time of the game, as Medlock connected with Johnson across the middle for a 4 yard touchdown pass. Coach Cristobal elected to go for the 2 point conversion. Johnson had the pass in his hands, but dropped it after being hit by defenders, resulting in the conversion being no good, making it 31-13 Washington with 8:57 left in the game. Washington seemed to be pissed off after that touchdown, as on third and 6, the Huskies struck with a 66 yard touchdown pass to Fogerson, making it 38-13 with 8:05 left in the game. We tried to respond on offense, but a 5 yard pass to Rhymes was all we could manage before punting once again. Callier would manage to get 7 yards on three carries, before the Huskies punted the ball back with 6:25 left to play.

Taking over on our own 6 yard line, we gave the ball to Johnson, hoping to get away from our end zone on the ground. A rush for only one yard and an incomplete pass, left our offense facing third and 9. It would get worse as a delay of game penalty would push us back to our own 3 yard line, forcing a difficult and dangerous third and 12 pass from inside our own end zone. An incomplete pass left Hagen backed up against the back of the end zone, though he would manage to get the punt off, giving Washington the ball at our 42 yard line. 5 yards on the ground by Washington's halfback and an incomplete pass left the Huskies facing fourth and 5. Price would attempt to gain that first down, completing a 5 yard pass to Williams, however the measurement would result in a turnover on downs after coming up inches short, giving our offense possession on our 33 yard line with 4:26 left. With the game out of reach and our players giving up, we decided to just run the ball, trying to run down the clock as much as possible. Thanks to 34 yards and two first downs from Johnson, we were able to advance the ball down to the Washington 33 yard line, and run off almost 4 minutes from the clock, before facing fourth and inches. We elected to go for it, running down the last 28 seconds without having the snap the ball, bringing the game to an end.

With the loss, we drop to 0-2 on the season. Washington improves to 2-1 on the year. Up next, we get another bye week, before hitting the road yet again, this time to Louisville. The Cardinals currently stand at 1-3 for the season, opening the year with a 27-20 overtime loss to #9 UCF, losing 31-3 to Ohio, and losing to SMU, 28-27. They finally found the win column in week 4, getting a road win at Kentucky 21-7.

Final Score
    (25) 38, 13

Stat(s) of the Game:
    FIU Offense – Passing on-existent the first half, better but still worthless the second half. Rushing was good in the first and fourth quarters, worthless the rest of the game.

FIU Defense – So-so. Made some good stops, but also was run over like they were made of paper a good portion of the game.

FIU Kicking – Not much to be said for Yusef. Went 1 for 1 in extra points and that was it.

Scoring Summary

Team 1st Quarter 2nd Quarter 3rd Quarter 4th Quarter Final Score
    7 0 0 6 13
    (25) 14 14 3 7 38

Time Team Result Play Score
    First Quarter
    6:02 Touchdown W. Chandler, 1 yard pass from K. Price (R. Greene kick) 7-0
    3:03 Touchdown S. Johnson, 7 yard run (Y. Hagen kick) TIED 7-7
    0:06 Touchdown J. Johnson, 7 yard pass from K. Price (R. Greene kick) 14-7
    Second Quarter
    1:33 Touchdown J. Callier, 16 yard run (R. Greene kick) 21-7
    0:30 Touchdown K. Smith, 11 yard pass from K. Price (R. Greene kick) 28-7
    Third Quarter
    2:03 Field Goal R. Greene, 35 yard field goal 31-7
    Fourth Quarter
    8:57 Touchdown S. Johnson, 4 yard pass from J. Medlock (2 point conversion failed) 31-13
    8:05 Touchdown Z. Fogerson, 66 yard pass from K. Price (R. Greene kick) 38-13

Game Stats

Florida International Stat Washington
    13 Score 38
    13 First Downs 20
    273 Total Offense 450
    31 - 132 - 1 Rushes - Yards - TD 44 - 164- 1
    9 - 34 - 1 Comp - Att - TD 18 - 33 - 4
    141 Passing Yards 286
    1 Times Sacked 2
    6 - 16 (37%) 3rd Down Conversion 8 - 17 (47%)
    1 - 2 (50%) 4th Down Conversion 1 - 3 (33%)
    0 - 1 (0%) 2-Point Conv 0 - 0 (0%)
    4 - 2 - 0 (50%) Red Zone - TD - FG 7 - 4 - 1 (71%)
    1 Turnovers 0
    1 Fumbles Lost 0
    0 Intercepted 0
    16 Punt Return Yards 17
    101 Kick Return Yards 63
    390 Total Yards 530
    7 – 43.3 Punts - Average 4 - 41.3
    5 - 46 Penalties 2 - 20
    19:59 Time of Possession 16:01

Florida International Contract Goals Update

Fail Impact Goal Progress Pass Impact
    500+ rushing yards in each season 142
    Win 8 games in one season
    2000+ total offensive yards in each season 717
    7+ passing TD in one season
    10+ points per game in each season 18 PPG
    2400+ total offensive yards in one season
    Win 4 games in one season
    2000+ total offensive yards in one season

Job Security Status

73%
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 02-02-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Yeah, this game went about as I expected it to. Not much to say about it. I was going to get my ass handed to me, and I did.

Some stats I took at halftime. We had five first downs. Four of those first downs came on our first drive of the game. We had 100 yards total offense. At the half, we were 1-11 passing, with a grand total of a whopping 6 yards passing. Meanwhile, Washington had 309 yards of offense at the half. Yeah, we pretty much never had a chance, even when we managed to tie it up 7-7.

I will say, though, that was one hell of a first quarter. A whole three possessions that entire first quarter, two by Washington, one by Florida International, all ending with a touchdown.
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 02-01-2012 at 06:43 PM.

As for some notes from the national scene, well, if you were in the top 10, you didn't want to be. Upsets galore. Texas Tech knocked off #1 TCU 35-27. Mississippi State knocked off #2 Auburn 52-21. Colorado upset #6 Stanford 34-20, #11 Boise State won the game of the week, beating #9 UCF 45-10.

Of a personal note, mors, #13 Baylor beat West Virginia 41-7, dropping the Mountaineers to 0-3. Jaymo, Arizona State almost had an upset this week, but fell short as #19 Arkansas held on to win 31-28, dropping ASU to 0-2.

Damn man, tough game. Those are the ones that are the hardest to swallow. The whole game you know you don't have a prayer of winning. Hate trying to play those games.