Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OsirisMonsters NCAA Coaching Carousel Journey

• Facebook
  • Display
    Arkansas State came off their bye week and the loss to Troy to dominate Western Kentucky in Kentucky. The game was never close with Arkansas State jumping to a 21-0 lead at the half. The defensee only allowed 137 yards of total offense while the offense put up over 350 yards including a pair of rushing and passing TDs. The game helped build confidence for offensive coordinator Osiris Jones and lifted the Red Wolves to a 4-1 start.

Up next a huge test for the young Arkansas State team. They head into Nebraska to take on the #14 ranked Nebraska Cornhuskers.

Nebraska clung to a slight lead despite a late Arkansas State surge to beat the Red Wolves 14-21. In the game neither team saw much success on offense. Nebraska accumulated just 301 yards of offense while the Red Wolves managed to put up 274 yards despite Williams attempting 43 passes through the game. No was shocked by the results, though few thought the Red Wolves would have kept the game as close as they did. Depsite the loss, the performanec built confidence for the coaching staff heading into the bulk of their conference schedule.

Next up Arkansas State heads into Kentucky to host the unbeaten division leading Kentucky.

Despite a school record setting performance by Arkansas State QB Williams, Kentucky walked away with the 21-14 win in Kentucky. The game started off all Kentucky leading 7-0 at the half and then 14-0 going into the fourth quarter. Arkansas State made a comback in the 4th scoring 14 points but it wasn't enough as Kentucky added on the insure schore off a 15 yard Campbell to Young TD reception. Asked about the game Osiris Jones had this to say. "We played a tough team that came up big when they needed. Two untimely interceptions and a horrible 25% in the red zone won't win you many games. At time Williams looked amazing, at times he looked horrible. I just hope we get more consistance when we travel down to Florida International next week."

At 4-3, the Red Wolves look to improve the confernce standing against the struggling Florida International team next week.

Arkansas State had high hopes of setting their year straight against with a conference win over Florida International. Those hopes were dashed when they suffered a crushing 28-31 loss. Arkansas State broke a back and forth 21-21 tie in the 3rd quarter scoring on a huge James 45 yard TD run. It proved for naught, though, as Florida International punched in a TD with 39 seconds left in the game then picked off Arkansas State on their first play on the following drive and kicked the game winning field goal to drop Arkansas State to 4-4 on the year.

Arkansas State gets a much needed bye next week before hosting Florida Atlantic. Rumor is that Arknasas State invited a large number of targetted recruits to visit during the game. Coach Osiris Jones just hopes his offense plays better in the clutch then they have so far this year.

The bye week served Arkansas State well as they came out rested and ready for Florida Atlantic infront of a home crowd and dozen potential recruits. Despite attempts to keep the game close, Florida Atlantic couldn't withstand a fourth quarter push by Arkansas State as the Red Wolves closed out a 28-7 win. Arkansas State led by only 7 points for the majority of the game but a pair of Williams touchdown passes in the fourth quarter were too much for Florida Atlantic to overcome. After the game it was rumored that three recruits instantly gave their commitment to Arkansas State after seeing the team in action.

Next week Arkansas State travels to Southern Miss to face unbeaten Southern Miss.

Wooo!!! That a way FIU!!

Sorry man. But as FIU is the team I'm starting out with in the 360 Coach Mode OD, as well as the team I chose to start my coaching career with in my offline dynasty, I gotta root for FIU whenever someone plays them in one of these dynasties. Nothing personal.

Southern Mississippi never knew what hit them as Arkansas State rolled their biggest win of the year 41-14. The game started off with a James 79 yard punt return for a TD and then escalated to a 27-14 half time lead. Southern Miss failed to score in the second half while Arkansas State piled on another 14 points including TD passes of 75 and 60 yards by Williams. The 5 TD passes by Williams broke a school record for TD passes in a single game. Though they are likely out of the conference championship picture, the win makes Arkansas State bowl elligible.

Next week Arkansas State hopes to keep momentum building as they host struggling Mid Tennessee State.

Middle Tennesse State shocked an over confident Arkansas State team with an unlikely 23-21 win on the road. Arkansas State started off in trouble going down by 17 points before closing the game before the half down just 7-17. They struck hard in the 3rd quarter with 14 more points to take a 21-17 lead. Middle Tennessee State then took back the lead with a minute left in the 3rd and failed to give it back. Arkansas State failed 3rd down after 3rd down as a string of frustrating dropped passes and lethargic running doomed the Red Wolves who saw only 30% success rate on 3rd downs (4-13). Coach Osiris Jones was particularly upset with the 3 turnovers by the offense. "This was a game we should win. Middle Tennessee State didn't beat us. We stopped playing." The only high point of the game came in the 3rd quarter when Arkansas State HB James went 81 yards on the ground to set the NCAA longest TD run record.

Arkansas State looks to improve on a 6-5 record and their bowl standing as they close out the regular season next week when they host Louisville.

Arkansas State ended their regular season with a 17-9 win over Louisville. Arkansas State took the lead going into the half and provided just enough offense to answer anything Louisville threw their way. The offense only put up 252 yards of offense and rushed for just over 53 yards on 21 carries but it was enough to end the regular season with a 7-5 record.

Up next a bowl game for Arkansas State! Which one will it be? Projections predict a Hawai'i Bowl berth against Fresno State.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Wooo!!! That a way FIU!!

Sorry man. But as FIU is the team I'm starting out with in the 360 Coach Mode OD, as well as the team I chose to start my coaching career with in my offline dynasty, I gotta root for FIU whenever someone plays them in one of these dynasties. Nothing personal.
    Glad I could deliver! That game was frustrating. I thought I had it won but watching the super sim Arkansas State defense let FIU march down the field then throwing a stupid INT on the next drive was just too much to overcome.

Bowl Game: Arkansas State looses to Fresno State 20-26. This game was frustrating from the start. The way that a QB can be 75% through the throwing motion but still get sacked with the ball never getting tossed is really annoying and one of the biggest changes in 2012 that I really dislike. Arkansas State started the game off bad muffing the opening kick and giving up a TD. In all the Red Wolves turned the ball over 4 times (3 fumbles and 1 INT) during the game. They ran 9 times for -4 yards and were held to 1-5 on 3rd downs and went 1-4 in the redzone. Pretty much it was an offensive coordinators worse nightmare. The loss is a big blow to the program but shouldn't have much of an impact on offensive coordinator Osiris Jones contract with Arkansas State.

Updated all posts with year end data for the 2011 season. Overall the season was a disappointing success. I say success because Arkansas State made it to a bowl game and disappointing because they could have done so much better. Many close games were lost that should have been won. Of the six losses in 2011 only one was by more then 7 points and each of those five games were winnable right down to the end of the game. In 2012 the offense needs to step up. Luckily both starting QB and all starting WRs are returning. Hopefully the Red Wolves can build on what they had in 2011 and challenge for a Sunbelt title in 2012.

At the end of 2011 Offensive Coordinator Osiris Jone fielded a number of offers from schools around the league (including OC at Maryland) but rejected them all, unwilling to leave Arkansas State after just one year. Next year, though, his contract with the school will be up and many are wondering where his future leads.

Here are links to the updated information from the 2011 season.

2011 Game by Game Results and 2012 Schedule
    2011 Stats including Team and Individual Player stats
    2011 News including BCS Bowl winners, Hiesman winner, and all Coaching Moves

Week One: Arkansas State #1 Oregon L 21-28 OT

Arkansas State went into #1 Oregon nobody expecting them to win. The Red Wolves nearly proved the nation wrong taking the Ducks to OT before falling to Oregon 21-28. Even though it will be recorded as a loss, Arkansas State has to be happy with their performance in the game. For a split second they had a chance to beat the top team in the nation, a feat Arkansas State has never accomplished. Defensively Arkansas State forced turnovers (both fumbles) and held a potent Oregon attack to just 311 total yards of offense. Offensively the Red Wolves outgained Oregon with 374 yards of total offense including a great performance by SR QB Williams with 320 passing yards and 2 TDs. The thing that did Arkansas State in? Just like last year the Red Wolves struggled on 3rd downs able to convert only 2 of 18 3rd down plays and saw no success in the red zone scoring only 4 times on 9 visits. If the Red Wolves want to compete for a Sunbelt championship this year they need to convert on 3rd downs and put up points in the red zone.

Speaking after the game Offensive Coordinator Osiris Jones said he was happy with his teams performance but saw many areas they needed to improve on if they want to be true contenders in the Sunbelt. During the game Coach Osiris pulled out a number of looks new to Arkansas State offensive including more then a few under center looks both from the Ace and I Formation looks. When asked about it Coach Osiris just smiled and said "I've got a few surprises in store for this season."

Up next Arkansas State starts conference play when the travel to Memphis to take on division opponent Memphis Tigers.

Week Three: Arkansas State Memphis W 30-12

Arkansas State Red Wolves travelled to Memphis to face the Tigers in both teams conference opener. The game started off all Red Wolves as they jumped to an early 14-0 lead from a pair of Williams TD passes. Williams would add a 3rd TD to his total during the 3rd quarter in what turned out to be a stellar performance for the Sunbelt standout QB. The rushing attack came alive during the game with Arkansas State putting up over 100 yards rushing on 28 attempts and score 1 TD on the ground. Memphis mounted a late second half comeback that fell short as Arkansas State defense picked off Memphis QB Scott twice in the second half. Last season leading reciever Ellis broke his first game slump catching 3 passes, one a TD in the first half.

Up next Arkansas State hosts FCS West. I'm not sure exactly how that happened as they were suppose to play Kansas during week 4 but somehow the schedule now shows FCS West. Guess it is time for the backups to get some practice on the field.

Week Four: FCS West Arkansas State W 62-0
    This game isn't even worth mentioning. I hate playing FCS teams because it is never a good game and never fun to score at will. At one point in the second half with my 2nd string playing I was trying not to gain yards on the ground but no matter how much I ran left to right the FCS defense went out of their way to miss tackles. I must have been really tired when I set the schedule for this season because I could have sworn it was Kansas I was playing.

Week Six: W 31-14
    Arkansas State paid a visit to the Green Wave of Tulane in conference play. Favorites to win the game, the Red Wolves jumped on top to a 14-0 lead in the first half on Williams TD passes. The first was a 22 yard strike to Cutler and the second a 4 yard pass to Browne. The Green Wave would add a TD of their own before half but the Tulane offense couldn't match up with the Red Wolves defense as Arkansas State held Tulane to just 227 yards of total offense. The Red Wolves had no problems of their own on offense putting up 481 yards including 167 on the ground and 314 through the air. When Williams hit Cutler for his third TD of the game it became apparent that Tulane was just outmatched.

This win lifts Arkansas State to 3-1 on the season and keeps them undefeated in conference play. Tulane, meanwhile, drops down to 1-4 on the season and 1-2 in conference play. Next week Arkansas State hosts UL Monroe with recruits scheduled to visit. The Red Wolves need a big win to woe over some critical recruits coming to town.

Week Seven: ULM Arkansas State W 42-7
    Arkansas State started strong in this game scoring on the opening drive and never looking back. The Red Wolves took an early 28-0 lead going into the fourth quarter before the Warhawks got on the board for their only score of the game. Arkansas State QB Williams connected for TD passes of 10, 16, and 39 yards in the time while HB Pino ran for two TDs and Tucker added another in the closing minute of the game.

Next week the Red Wolves continue conference play against Southern Miss.

Last edited by strattjw; 07-31-2011 at 12:30 PM.

Week Eight: Southern Miss :@ Arkansas State W 31-21

Arkansas State hosted a tough 3-4 Southern Miss team down on thier luck. The game started off all Arkansas State with the Red Wolves entering halftime up 10-0 then taking on another TD in the 3rd before letting Southern Miss work their way back in the game. Despite a 14 point fourth quarter from USM, it wasn't enough and the Red Wolves held on to win. QB Williams proved explosive in the game tossing 3 TD passes in the first three quarters of the game. Unfortunately standout HB Pino went down with a season ending injury during the game. This could severly impact the Red Wolves rushing attack and hamper their ability to move the ball in key short yardage situations.

Next week Arkansas State travels to hated rival undefeated Troy. The game means a lot for coach Osiris Jones. Only in win in this game will allow him to keep promises made for winning seasons to recruits he lured away from better programs.

Week Nine: Arkansas State Troy W 40-27

This game started out strong for Troy as the Trojans took a first quarter lead on a 12 yard Brown to Davis pass. I looked like the #1 ranked NCAA offense wouldn't be stopped. Things started to change in the second quarter as the Red Wolves defense stopped the Troy assault and scored twice themselves on Williams TD passes leading to a slight 14-13 Arkansas State lead going into the half. Troy faltered in the second have as Arkasnas State outscored them 27-14 to close out the game.

This big win completes promises made to recruits. Next week Arkansas State looks for revenge against FIU.

Week Ten: FIU Arkansas State W 45-38

Last year FIU pulled off the upset win against Arkansas State. This year looked like it would be more of the same. FIU jumped out to the early 17-0 first quarter lead and added another TD in the second quarter. They seemed in control of the game before Arkansas State rattled off 21 second quarter points to close the halftime gap from 24-0 to 24-21. The third quarter continues with Arkansas State dominance as they put up another 10 points and took the 31-24 lead. That lead was short lived and FIU scored twice at the start of the fourth quarter. Now starting HB Tucker ran a wheel route and caught the Williams pass rumbled for an 80 yard TD followed by a 2 yard TD run to seal the Red Wolf win.

Next week Arkansas State starts the meat of their Sun Belt North Sun Belt North schedule when they play Kentucky followed by #22 Louisville.