Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recruiting for the 3-4 Defense

• Facebook
  • Display
    This could be a difference maker by making 3 star recruits relevant. If you run a pass heavy offense (like Dr. Death) you can recruit 3 star pass blockers and have a solid lineup of system guys without having to try to compete with the bigger schools for 4/5 star guys.

I run a run-heavy/ball control offense so I would recruit run blockers. As long as there are enough of them generated. I noticed that certain types of players (pass rush DE's) no longer exist years into dynasty

I created a defensive custom playbook with the 3-4 as my base. My goal is to recruit and develop a DE/OLB position and an OLB/SS position. Ohio State does something similar IRL, this year with Nathan Williams and Tyler Moeler, which allows them to give many different looks with the same personel.
    I'm considering starting a dynasty w/ Maryland, even though they run a 4-3 defense. Picked them b/c they are a good but not great team, in a good but not great conference, have cool uniform options, and I recently moved to the DC/Northern VA area. Looking at their current roster, I can't decide which OLB I think will be better for my DE/OLB spot.
    LOLB 52 ROLB 9
    Speed 82 82
    Agility 76 80
    ACC 86 85
    Strength 79 78
    AWR 70 84
    Tackle 83 91
    PMV 69 58
    FMV 79 68
    BSH 79 86
    Pursuit 82 92
    PRC 71 76
    MCV 61 65
    ZCV 62 69
    It looks like the main difference comes down to the bolded attributes. So which is better for a pass rushing OLB in a 3-4, the pass rush moves or block sheding and pursuit? I would think the moves but was curious what everyone else thought, and thought this could also apply to the original post in recruiting for the 3-4. Thanks.

I didn't really know about Pink Gem recruits until this thread (thanks by the way!) but I'm having an issue with one in my dynasty.

So I'm UCLA, a 2 star prestige team, and after Week 1 of the dynasty I went thru the recruits looking for Pink Gems. To my surprise, I'd only had 3 star players interested in me, the number 5 overall player and 5 star recruit was a Pink Gem for me. I added him to my list and I was then number 6 on his list. I recruited him for a full hour to the tune of around 400 points. The following week I was not in his top 10, and no one looked to jump out to him based on his recruiting top 10 list. He didn't take any visits or commit to any school or anything. Is this normal? Should I continue to go after him? Etc.

Any help would be much appreciated!

I think I have finally gotten close to how I like to recruit and run my 3-4 defense on this game. I will be posting a summary either tomorrow or this weekend on how I think to get the best out of this defense from a personnel standpoint.