Thread: Article: Seven Years of Next-Gen NCAA Football - NCAA Football 11

• Facebook
  • Display

Six Years of Next-Gen NCAA Football - NCAA Football 11

NCAA Football 11 was released on July 13, 2010. In a blog that captured the attention of the NCAA Football community, new Executive Producer Roy Harvey started the information season with an outline of the development team’s focus for NCAA Football 11: Core Experience, Authenticity, and Innovation.

NCAA Football 11 focused on the theme ‘120 Ways to Win’ referencing new offensive play styles (Air Raid, Spread, Multiple, One Back, Triple Option, Run & Shoot, West Coast, Pistol) as well as the ability to run (or face) an aggressive, no-huddle attack.

Locomotion was a new momentum-based engine designed to reduce reliance on the Speed rating and to accentuate Acceleration. This new aspect also featured momentum as more a factor with players realistically slowing down and/or taking extra steps when changing directions. A new longer run cycle also improved the visuals on big plays. This feature also utilized 'Dual Stick Controls,' allowing the left stick for player movement and the right stick for leans, trucking, and high-stepping.

Real Assignment AI improved the run-blocking logic which aided the read option, triple option, HB stretch, and HB draws. Where in NCAA Football 10 defensive linemen may have went unblocked, in NCAA Football 11 they may not only be blocked, but possibly double-teamed by run blockers.

After beginning its run on the next-gen consoles with few definitive aspects of presentation, NCAA Football 11 added in ESPN integration including overlays, menus, wipes and replays with graphics matching those of the Worldwide Leader in Sports. Helping to capture the pageantry and uniqueness of college football, the game added in team entrances with authentic aspects for select programs including Miami, Notre Dame and Texas.

While the improvements helped add an offensive identity and personality to most teams, the community at-large found the defense less than adequate, particularly as it related to zone defense and pass rush.

The game added several web components highlighted by Dynasty Wire, a feature that allowed users to access Online Dynasty information and statistics on the web. It also allowed users to view game highlights while composing their own game recaps and the ability to comment on other games played in the Online Dynasty. Also via Dynasty Wire users had the ability to handle recruiting tasks online, however early issues kept this feature from being utilized as often or as efficiently as the community would have liked.

For the full list of improvements and upgrades made to the game, re-visit our NCAA Football 11 Information Central page.

While NCAA Football 09 and NCAA Football 10 featured different cover athletes for each platform of the game, the cover athlete for each version of NCAA Football 11 was former Florida QB Tim Tebow.

“Back of the Box” Features:

120 Ways to Win: Experience the pageantry and traditions of your favorite school with NCAA Football 11.

Run the offense the way the schools do

Dictate the tempo the game

Acceleration counts as much as speed

Stay connected with Dynasty Wire

New Offensive Styles

Unique Team Entrances

Top Teams
    A+ = Alabama
    A = Ohio State, Oklahoma
    A- = Boise State, Florida, LSU, Miami, North Carolina, Penn State, Texas, USC, Wisconsin

Top Players
    98 OVR - Alabama HB #22
    97 OVR - Alabama WR #8, Georgia WR #8, Houston QB #7, North Carolina DT #9, Notre Dame WR #3, TCU C #76
    96 OVR - 13 players

According to VG Charts, the game would go on to sell 828,072 copies on the X-Box 360, 678,129 for the PlayStation 3, and 180,838 copies for the PlayStation 2. The game would finish with metacritic scores of 86 (360) and 85 (PS3).

You can view the page at http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/for...AA-Football-11

My first purchase for my Xbox 360 (bought them the same day) Didn't buy or play 2010 or 2009 but I gotta say I freaking LOVE 2011, I'm currently 12 seasons into my dynasty and won't stop until 12 is out.

I think this year by year story has shown that the game has made strides over the years. Yes there are still problems that exist but NO Game is perfect. 12 is shaping up to be another step in the right direction.

Thumbs up

My all time favorite in the series. I played 11 more than any football game I have ever owned. It doesn't get much better than this one IMO.

'11 is the best yet and I agree EA is making strides in the right direction every year.

Yeah my post-OD playing time has been...

1. NCAA 11
    2. NCAA 09
    3. NCAA 10

NCAA 11 brought the long overdue appearance of referees. Talk about a drought.

Overall great game.

Freshman
    NCAA 11 was the best in many years, since 06 for me. However some of the features didn't live up to the hype. Real assignment AI didn't work nearly as good as they said it would, still had RBs picking the wrong running lanes, they still covered up the ball when they shouldn't have and over all they were prone to run directly into a crowd of tacklers instead of away from them. I don't know what it was, but the CPU loved cutting it back to the middle of the field for some dumb reason way too much.

Locomotion didn't live up to the hype either. Still seen defenders changing directions on a dime with no lost in speed what so ever. Fatigue didn't matter, neither did weight either like it should have. 120 ways to win however spread teams couldn't run out of the shotgun, so playing against spread teams was horrible. Option teams were just as bad.

Other then that........NCAA 11 was a hell of a game.

Definitely my favorite of the games. 11 graphically made me buy an HD tv. I had one before, but it was only 480p. After seeing how spectacular the lighting made the game look, had to play on a Vizio. Now, I was disappointed by the lack of zone defense, how how easily out routes on a third and 17 could be completed, and shotgun running had its' shortcomings unless you knew how to run it right. But, NCAA 11 was very encouraging, and the fact the I can say that NCAA 12 is more of NCAA 11.5 in a great speaks volumes. Also, I wish the online weather was in the game as well. Hope 12 can bring that.

No doubt the best game of the series by a long shot in many ways. As others have stated, there were a lot of issues and I saw many glitches myself. My main issues were with the zone coverage, blocking, and CPU running. Other than that I really enjoyed this game and look forward to what 12 has to offer.

Great game with flaws

Great game BEFORE the first tuning set/patch. Run game for the cpu never recovered after that.

My favorite. Hands down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Great game BEFORE the first tuning set/patch. Run game for the cpu never recovered after that.
    I think the third patch corrected the problems from the second one.

Overall this was a fun game but I agree with gotmadskillz that locomotion was over hyped and under delivered. I still don't see enough player weight and realistic momentum. But the biggest problem was the lousy zone defences. The cpu still didn't run the spread right and the mobile QB never scrambled and played just like a pocket passer. On the positive side the QB AI was a lot better as there weren't a lot of crazy INTs. The running game had some movement making it fun to read the blocks and the new option blocking system for the zone read was a lot of fun. The negative side of running the spread against the cpu was that the computer AI was so hell bent on stopping the run it lead to an audible heavy scheme that got frustrating. A big step up over NCAA 10 and the best PS3 version to date without question.

Quote Originally Posted by xMrHitStickx904 View Post
    Definitely my favorite of the games. 11 graphically made me buy an HD tv. I had one before, but it was only 480p. After seeing how spectacular the lighting made the game look, had to play on a Vizio. Now, I was disappointed by the lack of zone defense, how how easily out routes on a third and 17 could be completed, and shotgun running had its' shortcomings unless you knew how to run it right. But, NCAA 11 was very encouraging, and the fact the I can say that NCAA 12 is more of NCAA 11.5 in a great speaks volumes. Also, I wish the online weather was in the game as well. Hope 12 can bring that.
    Can u even consider 480p HD with a straight face?