Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: "Coach Mode" Xbox 360 OD anyone?

• Facebook
  • Display

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher 8 View Post
    Calm down... I know the restrictions but he was implying
    Which is what I was replying to there...
    Sorry... I wasn't suggesting 5 seasons as what my post may have sounded. I was just looking at it based on the number of teams in each category and maybe restricting jumps based on the category numbers. But based on the response related to prestige changing over time, it appears my comment would be moot.
    Last edited by natcret; 07-05-2011 at 08:19 PM.

So your saying you would be fine with that or no you don't want that? I'm just fearing if we all choose teams as our Alma Mater that it'll be too easy to go up the ranks but if we are restricted from choosing the top elite tier teams then it would make getting a job offer from them rarer and honestly that's how it should be. You should really have to shine with a 3 or 4 star team to get an offer to coach the big boys.
    I don't know what you have against my ideas but whatever...

Choosing a school as your Alma Mater does have an big impact though. It's already been said that if you choose that school at some point their likely to offer you a job if it's open, they weight things such as one of their own over just your coach prestige rating. You saw NC State hire their offensive coord. or whatever over the other more prestigious out of school coaches they could choose from.

If you don't want the challenge then fine lets not do it but I only suggested it as it'll be more challenging to get to those elite schools if your unable to make them your Alma Mater. Period. That was my thought process behind it.

I realize some people will want to choose their actual Alma Mater like JBHuskers said and any restrictions could affect that but I'de guess that most of us haven't gone to a college with DIV-1A football that's that prestigious so for the rest of us we'll just select any school, probably the best ones, or their favorite school.
    Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    I have nothing against you personally man. I just disagree with limiting Alma Maters as what's the point of playing in a dynasty if you can't have a goal of being the team that you absolutely want to be?

Alma Mater isn't a guarantee that you're going to get a job at the school you choose, but so what if it is? We want the ability to get to the big programs and be able to be there right? So what if someone chooses Alabama as their Alma Mater so that they have a chance to go to Alabama and be cheesy as hell with their ridiculous ability to get recruits easily? You theoretically have the exact same amount of ability to get to that school or one just as good as they do if you're truly worried about it. It's been said that it's a factor in a team choosing it's coaches and, sure, if could be the deciding factor between someone with the team as an Alma Mater and someone without them, but it's certainly not the only thing that the teams use to determine who goes where.

What would be the point of playing if we can't choose what school is our dream job? Personally, I wouldn't care if WVU was a school, they'd still be my dream job because they're my team, and I would want to play with them down the road after taking my lashes somewhere else. Not giving someone the ability to choose what school is their dream job is going to limit the amount of interest that person might have in this dynasty, and that's the last thing we want. With my eye on the ability to possibly be the HC at WVU sometime down the road, I'm that much more interested in this dynasty and, once I get the job, I'll be that much more committed to making this dynasty the best I can make it. That's the beauty of the Alma Mater setup. It's the carrot on the stick. It's the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. It's what ever coach in real life is striving to achieve.

I'm curious to know why you think it should be more challenging to get to the jobs that we covet? As I pointed out earlier, we'll be lucky to finish season 4 of this even at a normal OD rate (3 games every two weeks), so, really, why do you feel that it should be made even more difficult to get to the programs that we want to work our way up to? It's already highly unlikely that anyone will get to their Alma Mater before the start of season 3. If this was a dynasty that was able to knock out 5 games in two weeks (pretty damn fast) on a consistent basis, so that we had a chance at 6+ seasons in this dynasty, I'd be all for making it more difficult to get to the big programs and making the program climb take longer, but, that's highly unlikely considering Coach Mode is really for those people that have more things on their plate than just video games and such.

Believe me, I plan on doing a coach carousel dynasty where, like Smooth was talking about before, I'll be lucky to sniff my first coaching job by season 6 much less a good job by season 10. I'm all for it taking a realistic amount of time to progress to other schools from another job and such, but, I also have to be realistic when it comes to the goals that we all seem to want for this OD to be interesting and I think that means not making it take 5+ years to even have a chance at sniffing our dream jobs, much less making it even harder to land them by forcing some people to choose an Alma Mater that isn't a power school.
    I get your side of it now and I can understand that

What I meant by challenge is less likely to get the job offer. If you pick an Alma Mater it's more likely they'll choose you if you have the credentials to even be considered in the first place.
    Even though this discussion has seemingly come to an end and been resolved, I want to give my perspective on it. I am absolutely and vehemently against making certain school off limits to set as your alma mater. Now in real life, I went to a Division III college, so I am simply going with Navy as my alma mater, since they are who I am a fan of. However, say I had gone to college at and graduated from Ohio State? Just because you, or someone else, went to school at a small "bottom feeder" DI-A school, or went to a DI-AA or DII or whatever division school, why should I be banned from setting Ohio State (my true Alma Mater in this theoretical situation) as my Alma Mater and be forced to make my Alma Mater some random school that I don't give two shits about? That is the issue I have with banning certain schools as being able to be made your Alma Mater. Say I had gone to Florida in real life. Again, why should I be banned from using my true Alma Mater as my coach's Alma Mater, and instead be forced make it some random school I don't give a damn about?

That is why I vehemently oppose this whole "banning certain schools and making them off limits as Alma Maters" idea. Because it is basically saying "who cares if you actually went to this big name, big time school in real life, fuck you, pick some dump of a school instead". No. I will never agree to something like that.

Plus I think you are assuming WAY too much when it comes to people setting their Alma Mater, thinking we're all going to set ours as USC, Florida, Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Auburn, and Oregon. No. We aren't. As has already been stated by others, mors is making his West Virginia. I'm making mine Navy. JB is making his Nebraska (his true Alma Mater). Hawkfan is going with Iowa. No one is going with those big time, 6-star, BCS championship contending programs. We're going with our true, real life Alma Maters or the teams that we are fans of.
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 07-05-2011 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Even though this discussion has seemingly come to an end and been resolved, I want to give my perspective on it. ... Plus I think you are assuming WAY too much when it comes to people setting their Alma Mater, thinking we're all going to set ours as USC, Florida, Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Auburn, and Oregon. No. We aren't. ... No one is going with those big time, 6-star, BCS championship contending programs. We're going with our true, real life Alma Maters or the teams that we are fans of.
    I hate to bump this thread with the new one made but I just wanted to say I totally get your side, like you said this was resolved, the only thing I would like to add though is that while many of you have an actual Alma Mater or are fans of a certain team that I have no team. I'm not a fan of college football. I don't even watch real college football. (Though I might start but I won't choose a team) I'm a big time NFL fan and the only thing I do with college is looking at NFL prospects after the season. You might say play Madden but I hate Madden and I love the Online Dynasty Mode because of the recruiting. To me what makes this game so awesome is the team management side not the actual gameplay. That's why I'm interested in Coach Mode. Sorry I suggested the Alma Mater restrictions, it honestly was just an idea that popped in my head and I didn't think about the implications too much. Forget I even mentioned it. 1 WEEK!
    Last edited by Cipher 8; 07-06-2011 at 03:57 PM.

Varsity
    Good Afternoon Guys!

I have always wanted to play in a coach's dynasty online. I have never done an online dynasty, but I have played offline with friends on the ol' NCAA Football 04(I believe). If you guys have any spots left, I'd love to be a coach/coordinator with Eastern Michigan. I get my degree from Michigan State this summer, so obviously my Alma Mater would be ol' Sparty and the goal is to be taking Coach D's job. If there is room, let me know. I'm not picky on rules, I'm 31, and I can go at just about any pace. Just wanted some friends to mess around with and compete for recruits. Any extra information or dynasty webpage stuff would be awesome! Let me know!

Tag: Archedemius

Varsity
    Looks like I'm too late! Dang. Good luck guys!

We've put you on the waiting list Archedemius. Although we are currently full, there may be a spot or two that opens up between now and the start of the OD, as well, there could always be drop outs at some point along the way during the OD, so you'll get be first choice for joining if a spot opens up.

Varsity
    Thanks for the heads up! Will be watching for an opening.

if a spot open up let me know>
    I would love to join

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Ryuu View Post
    if a spot open up let me know>
    I would love to join
    It's full up now but you can go here and sign up on the waiting list, if a spot opens up and your next in line you can join.