Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Coach Mode" Xbox 360 OD anyone?

• Facebook
  • Display
    I think my team will be one of these 3

W Michigan
    Middle Tenn
    Idaho

North Texas

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Definitely going with Army.

Pretty sure I'll go with Western Michigan.

They have a good QB coming back and a nice front 7 on D from what I've read so I'll plan to go that route.

The lose a stud WR and S and look to have a pretty tough non-con with Michigan, Illinois, UConn so that'll make it tough to make a bowl without a very good in conference record.

Kernzy, you're an expert with the coach mode side of things so will you provide all of us with "house rules"? Like what pre-snap adjustments we're allowed to make (hot routes allowed?, etc), do we do our own kicking?, recruiting rules/restrictions (can we let CPU do it?), game settings (sliders and stuff), ETC

My examples are only examples - i'm not necessarily leaning one way or another on any issue. Just want to get an idea of what to expect In truth, I'm all for whatever generates the most realistic experience (even realistic stats if possible). Would love to know what's worked for you in the past and what hasn't regarding coach mode.

I would assume with coach mode, you're picking the play and the CPU is executing the play.

Recruiting I would assume is done by us and will probably be anything goes since it's basically impossible to get anyone worth a damn as a or team but that's to be determined by determining if there have been any changes made to recruiting with the coaching carousel and the new coach ratings.

The sliders will be determined once the game drops and I would assume that the rules/restrictions would be whatever emulates real life football (not going for it on 4th down unless it's inside the opponent's 40 or you're losing in the 4th quarter; no fake kicking/punting unless in the same situation; etc). Not sure what rules, if any, we should have on the game planning settings (aggressive jump the snap and all that jazz), though I've, personally, always been a proponent of not using any of the game planning stuff or the commit stuff (since, it's always been my opinion that playing the pass is FAR to powerful of an ability since there's no downside in the way of getting burnt by a draw play or just run in general).

Also, I appreciate everyone understanding my concern about having to leave. Perhaps, if possible, when that time comes I can "quit" my current coaching job and you can keep my coach profile in the system so I can "take a new job after a leave of absence" when I return. Ha too realistic? Yeah I'm a nerd.

Which brings me to the next thing: I realize everyone wants a slower dynasty but for your consideration, would it be possible to finish at least the first season by October? At one game a week, this probably won't happen. Just saying it'd be nice to have at least one full season under my belt before I go. But I also fully respect what you guys have going on here and that I'm only 1/12 of the vote. I appreciate you hearing me out.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    I would assume with coach mode, you're picking the play and the CPU is executing the play.

Recruiting I would assume is done by us and will probably be anything goes since it's basically impossible to get anyone worth a damn as a or team but that's to be determined by determining if there have been any changes made to recruiting with the coaching carousel and the new coach ratings.

The sliders will be determined once the game drops and I would assume that the rules/restrictions would be whatever emulates real life football (not going for it on 4th down unless it's inside the opponent's 40 or you're losing in the 4th quarter; no fake kicking/punting unless in the same situation; etc). Not sure what rules, if any, we should have on the game planning settings (aggressive jump the snap and all that jazz), though I've, personally, always been a proponent of not using any of the game planning stuff or the commit stuff (since, it's always been my opinion that playing the pass is FAR to powerful of an ability since there's no downside in the way of getting burnt by a draw play or just run in general).
    Exactly mors. Those are exactly the kinds of things I'm wondering about (minus the fact you pick the play and the CPU runs it - that's understood). But what rules, if any, need to be adhered to? What things HAVE to be done and what things are left up to us?

I also agree with you about the gameplanning and commit stuff, though, I'd be interested to see what Kernzy has to say.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyKnight View Post
    Also, I appreciate everyone understanding my concern about having to leave. Perhaps, if possible, when that time comes I can "quit" my current coaching job and you can keep my coach profile in the system so I can "take a new job after a leave of absence" when I return. Ha too realistic? Yeah I'm a nerd.

Which brings me to the next thing: I realize everyone wants a slower dynasty but for your consideration, would it be possible to finish at least the first season by October? At one game a week, this probably won't happen. Just saying it'd be nice to have at least one full season under my belt before I go. But I also fully respect what you guys have going on here and that I'm only 1/12 of the vote. I appreciate you hearing me out.
    Well, considering, for me, this is one of two ODs and I plan on having 2-3 offline dynasties going as well, I'm more for a slower pace for this one, but, at the same time, I suspect I'll be anxiously waiting to play my next game in this dynasty for a long time. I'm really excited to get into a good coach mode dynasty and Kernzy is one of those guys from Utopia that has always been huge on coach mode dynasties so I'm hoping for great things from this.

I'm flexible if we need to go a bit faster.

Ya know...I think I'll take Western Kentucky.

Great stuff guys, I was away all evening and didn't get to play but one game of the demo last night. I played on Heisman and thought it played very well via coach mode (auto pass).
    I'm getting more and more excited with the possibilities for the best coach mode ever this year.

Guys as far as rules and ideas go, I just want to be part of a democracy here for our league. I'm certainly not a dictator so whatever we all decide is what we'll do. It can be fluid and we can adjust pretty much anything as we go so lets just have fun with it and enjoy good coach mode competition.

Teams taken so far

North Texas - AustinWolv
    Army - morsdraconis
    Western Kentucky - NavyKnight
    Western Michigan - Coach Kernzy

I've posted over at Utopia in their Coach Mode section and their OD section and I also posted at OS in their OD section as well so hopefully that'll drum up some more interest.

So far, it seems like Heisman is the most balanced and 'fair' that it has ever been in the series. The demo seems that way at least, but I need to experiment more.

Agreed AW, from what I've seen and read the players seem to play most correctly to their ratings on Heisman. From the videos of the demo I've seen on Heisman it really looks great and the one quick game I got in it played very well.
    I'm the most excited I've been for NCAA in a long long time. I had some great coach mode times back on the old Xbox with NCAA 06 and 07 but have since been disappointed of course. Last year was ok but this year looks to be GREAT. Can't wait.

One of the things that stood out to me on Heisman was that the CPU QB wasn't throwing perfect passes to the correct receiver every time.....there were times he would throw to a guy that was well-covered due to pressure and held the ball at times waiting for a route to come free instead of the roboQB-genius pass to open receiver perfectly every play within 3-4 seconds of the snap like in past versions.

Agree
    I was Oregon playing Texas and several times Gilbert threw it high or wide of his target and other times he fit it right in there, much like he does in real life LOL
    Oregon's QB Thomas on the other hand seemed to be throwing pretty well but I never did notice him take off and run if pressured. He seemed to hold the ball quite a bit and took several sacks. But I'm not sure if that was just the RT getting smoked by the LE or what.

LOL
    Looking at our rosters on Teambuilder 12 site we all have a lot of work to do to be able to win many games in coach mode with our squads.
    Should be fun and one hell of a challenge.

BTW, from all the recent videos it looks like default AA might be a good place to start or should be go default Heisman for even more difficulty? I think we should decide AA or Heisman and then we can adjust sliders as we go.

Well, with us not controlling anything, I think AA will be fine. Heisman just results in too many all out blitzes in my opinion (and why I hated playing on Heisman in '11). You end up having to throw the ball 75% of the time because the CPU refuses to allow you to run the ball at all.

It's gonna be interesting to see how much I struggle with Army's Flex without being able to control any of the option stuff. The CPU Navy team in G's video did a pretty good job of making use of their FB (like all Triple Option teams should do) but everything to the outside was pretty awful looking. I will have to do some serious practicing to make sure my offense isn't atrocious looking.

Are we gonna be ok with full range of customization for our offensive and defensive playbooks? I know one thing right now, if I'm gonna go Flex with Army, I'm gonna go all out.