Thread: I Can't Wait Anymore..

• Facebook
  • Display

I Can't Wait Anymore..

I can't wait for this game. I think this is the first game in my life I've ever actually been truly excited about.

I tried playing NCAA 10 but when I play all I think about is 120 ways to win and ESPN Presentation.

What to do, what to do.

At least only 11 more days until the demo.

Yeah, the NCAA 11 killed our Online Dynasty. We were almost done with ... I think the 2016 season.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

I don't think anyone can wait - 11' just looks so good and improved. Assuming that we're seeing the real deal, we're going to be getting a great, great game!

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    The only thing that worries me is how the defense is going to react to all of this. If there haven't been any upgrades to the defense, then, with the improved blocking and locomotion, it's going to be INCREDIBLY difficult to stop anyone. It's going to be '09 x2...

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    The only thing that worries me is how the defense is going to react to all of this. If there haven't been any upgrades to the defense, then, with the improved blocking and locomotion, it's going to be INCREDIBLY difficult to stop anyone. It's going to be '09 x2...
    That's where game-planning comes into affect.

Assuming that you can make defensive adjustments, like assigning certain guys to guard certain guys (like taking a safety in a cover 2 man, and putting him on a WR, to cause a double team) defense will be playable. I've been playing APF, which is arguably the best complete football game out there right now (that may change this summer) and the offense is very, very powerful, but if you're smart on defense, you can shut-down your opponent. It's not easy, but it can be done, and is very play-calling based, which is very rewarding.

This game is being hyped soooo much. How will it possibly live up to expectations? Anyways, bring on the demo.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by vertigho View Post

Assuming that you can make defensive adjustments, like assigning certain guys to guard certain guys (like taking a safety in a cover 2 man, and putting him on a WR, to cause a double team) defense will be playable. I've been playing APF, which is arguably the best complete football game out there right now (that may change this summer) and the offense is very, very powerful, but if you're smart on defense, you can shut-down your opponent. It's not easy, but it can be done, and is very play-calling based, which is very rewarding.
    AKA use cheesy ass defenses like the 3-3-5 or the 4-2-5 or you're pretty much asking to not stop anyone (just like NCAA '09).

If it becomes that, I'm going to be SO disappointed with this game. There's always been a balancing issue with this game and if it goes back to the '09 way of offense, I'm going to be VERY hard pressed not to be extremely down on this game, no matter what else they do to it.

AKA use cheesy ass defenses like the 3-3-5 or the 4-2-5 or you're pretty much asking to not stop anyone (just like NCAA '09).

If it becomes that, I'm going to be SO disappointed with this game. There's always been a balancing issue with this game and if it goes back to the '09 way of offense, I'm going to be VERY hard pressed not to be extremely down on this game, no matter what else they do to it.
    In APF all you have is the 4-3, 3-4, 4-4, 5-2, dime, nickel, and nickel 3-3 and dime 3-2.

Yeah, you have some variety, but nothing really special. The best defensive players in our league mostly run the 4 basic sets, 4-3, 3-4, dime and nickel. So no, you don't have to go to cheap or cheesy formations, at least not in APF. As for NCAA, that remains to be seen, but I plan on finding out July 13th.

Yeah thats how it was in 08 and 09. People would just use the 4-4, 5-2 defenses and call cover 3 looped DE blitzes all game to stop people. Got old and made the game wack as hell

Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
    Yeah thats how it was in 08 and 09. People would just use the 4-4, 5-2 defenses and call cover 3 looped DE blitzes all game to stop people. Got old and made the game wack as hell
    Yeah, I can see how'd that get pretty damn aggravating. The thing about APF is that the best defensive players take away your best player.

So lets say you have a 3rd and 12. They're going to run a cover 2 man from the dime - take the two safeties and put them in MtoM coverage to double your most dangerous outside receivers - take the MLB and double a slot guy, and leave the RB free. The idea here is that you're taking away their most dangerous guys, and giving up the RB, which is rather low risk.

I realize APF and NCAA aren't the same things, but I'm just giving an example of what people do.

Can't wait to see the reaction of everyone once the demo drops.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Can't wait to see the reaction of everyone once the demo drops.
    Can't wait for you guys to spill the beans on the new features.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Can't wait for you guys to spill the beans on the new features.
    I can't wait to get my hands on the new flexbone plays!

I wish NCAA would use the same mechanics APF used for defensive hot routing. I hate having to switch to each individual player to hot route.

Quote Originally Posted by lilheavy View Post
    I can't wait to get my hands on the new flexbone plays!

I wish NCAA would use the same mechanics APF used for defensive hot routing. I hate having to switch to each individual player to hot route.
    Who knows - maybe they'll implement a new system this year.

Here's to hoping!

I'm personally against a lot of hot routing on defense. I'd rather see better defensive playbooks to handle things.

I'm personally against a lot of hot routing on defense. I'd rather see better defensive playbooks to handle things.
    Why are you against it? That's how a lot of defensive coaches are so good.

I'm all for better plays/playbooks as well, but giving the user more control over their defense could only be a good thing. And I know what's coming next, "well, people could create cheap and cheesy defenses" - well here's my argument. For each action there's an equal and opposite reaction. So for instance, if you take a safety in a cover 2 man to man play, and put him on a WR, to force a double team, you're then opening up the ability for a slot-receiver to beat you over the top. It's all about play-calling.

Why are you against it? That's how a lot of defensive coaches are so good.

I'm all for better plays/playbooks as well, but giving the user more control over their defense could only be a good thing. And I know what's coming next, "well, people could create cheap and cheesy defenses" - well here's my argument. For each action there's an equal and opposite reaction. So for instance, if you take a safety in a cover 2 man to man play, and put him on a WR, to force a double team, you're then opening up the ability for a slot-receiver to beat you over the top. It's all about play-calling.
    I'm against it because usually a defensive call comes in and that lets everyone know what to do and how they work together. In a video game, you call a defensive play. If you then hot route 3 or 4 guys to do something different, how is it even the same original play? How could guys possibly know what everyone is doing from a realism standpoint? I don't think most defensive captains call a play and then while waiting on the snap signal to the DE to spy the QB, tell the WLB to blitz instead of cover his zone, tell the other DE to drop into coverage while the MLB suddenly takes a deep drop down the middle of the field. You do make some corrections but a lot of the corrections are on the fly adjustments after the snap. ie. DE rushes the QB unless the RB swings out for a pass - then follow in coverage.

Some of that stuff may be impossible to get right in a video game but more than two hot routes just doesn't seem realistic to me. I liked the 2K line call system being separate from coverage sometimes. It gave you more options. I really hope the defensive playbooks got some improvements this year.

Personally, once I see the formation I will shift my LBs and/or DL and possibly slant the DL depending on the strong side of the formation. I may choose to blitz an extra LB on what I see but that's about it. I still feel what I do is within the realm of good football and good results.
    Last edited by Rudy; 06-06-2010 at 02:28 PM.

I'm against it because usually a defensive call comes in and that lets everyone know what to do and how they work together. In a video game, you call a defensive play. If you then hot route 3 or 4 guys to do something different, how is it even the same original play? How could guys possibly know what everyone is doing from a realism standpoint? I don't think most defensive captains call a play and then while waiting on the snap signal to the DE to spy the QB, tell the WLB to blitz instead of cover his zone, tell the other DE to drop into coverage while the MLB suddenly takes a deep drop down the middle of the field. You do make some corrections but a lot of the corrections are on the fly adjustments after the snap. ie. DE rushes the QB unless the RB swings out for a pass - then follow in coverage.

Some of that stuff may be impossible to get right in a video game but more than two hot routes just doesn't seem realistic to me. I liked the 2K line call system being separate from coverage sometimes. It gave you more options. I really hope the defensive playbooks got some improvements this year.

Personally, once I see the formation I will shift my LBs and/or DL and possibly slant the DL depending on the strong side of the formation. I may choose to blitz an extra LB on what I see but that's about it. I still feel what I do is within the realm of good football and good results.
    Touche - you got me here.

I'll agree with you on this - normally a play is sent in, and there may be a certain universal signal built-into that play that can change it, but not change the play completely. For instance, a team may run a certain play in certain situation, but if the opposing team comes out in a certain set, or if they hear a certain cadence, all the LB's may tap their helmet to indicate that they should be on alert for a certain route/play. I realize this isn't what I was talking about, in fact, it's supporting your idea - which I now agree with.

Ultimately, the only way to correct this issue is to implement a custom-play feature. I doubt we're going to get it this year (which is a shame) but hey, you never know, and if we don't, there's always next year!