Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Tressel Has Resigned

• Facebook
  • Display

Jim Tressel Has Resigned

Watching Mike & Mike on ESPN2 (mainly because Mike & Mike aren't on it today LOL) and this just broke.

As soon as I turned on my TV, It came across the bottom of the screen. I won't say i'm surprised, but I definitely wasn't expecting this news today.

So long sweater vest. Maybe this will save OSU a tiny bit in the eyes of the NCAA, with Tressel no longer there.

Now the big question, who does Ohio State go after, and are they willing to go into that land mine field that is Ohio State pre-penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by HWill View Post
    As soon as I turned on my TV, It came across the bottom of the screen. I won't say i'm surprised, but I definitely wasn't expecting this news today.
    I think it was to the point it was going to happen sooner or later. Tressel realized this and decided to make it happen sooner so the university could get to work on hiring a new coach, and so the team could get to work on moving forward, instead of dragging this out all summer long like a soap opera and possibly ruining the focus of the team going into the season.

This is a sad day in Buckeye country. I really liked him. Now I hope we can bring in Urban Meyer

Urban Meyer may all of a sudden have the energy to coach again.

Les Miles may also be a candidate since he is from Elyria,Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Les Miles may also be a candidate since he is from Elyria,Ohio
    I highly doubt it. It's been absolutely no secret that Michigan is Les Miles' dream job. So I very much doubt he'd go to Ohio State. Plus, if an opening at his dream job in Michigan isn't enough to lure Les out of LSU, then I doubt he's going to turn right around and leave LSU for Ohio State (what with future penalties pending and whatnot).

Yeah considering USC got 30 scholly's taken away over three years and no Pac-12 Championship opportunity....you'd figure Ohio State is going to get smacked even harder.

If I was a NY Times Headline guy....I'd call it VEST IN PEACE

The shocking thing here about the resignation was the AD just gave Tressel a vote of confidence last week.

Yea, the AD's head was not on the chopping block until that article about 50+ phone calls to the car salesman came out lol...
    Best part about this is now instead of just USC, Auburn, and Alabama fans saying they dont care if their teams are cheating, we can now listen to tOSU fans say the same thing.

Fickell takes over as interim.....new coach search won't take place until after the season. Pencil Fickell out for 2012, gives a year for Urban Meyer to get back into "coaching shape" I think.

From SportsPickle

This is new Ohio State coach Luke Fickell: http://bit.ly/lzoPFk. "The Sleeveless Windbreaker" isn't a very good nickname.

The writing was on the wall on this one for a LONG time. You simply CANNOT lie to the NCAA during an investigation and survive. NO coach even K or Joe Pa would be able to survive a scandal like that.

ESPN Insider lists the following as possible replacements:

1. Urban Meyer

2. Bo Pelini

3. Gary Patterson

4. Jon Gruden

5. Mark Dantonio

6. Mark Stoops

7. Gary Pinkel

Quote Originally Posted by HWill View Post
    This. Awfully strange timing.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Now the big question, who does Ohio State go after, and are they willing to go into that land mine field that is Ohio State pre-penalty.
    The answer is no one. Coach Fickell will assume head coaching duties for the entirety of 2011, and then the search will begin in 2012. Which means, in my opinion, that if we have a successful season this year that the search will end with Coach Fickell.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

What is it about the timing that is strange?

The more you mention it, you may be right about no big coach willing to come to the mine field. Then again, this is one of the top jobs in the country and only comes available every decade or so. Some big time coach(Urban Meyer) may be willing to take the risk. Do you guys think the AD will step down? This program has taken a turn for the worse.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    The writing was on the wall on this one for a LONG time. You simply CANNOT lie to the NCAA during an investigation and survive. NO coach even K or Joe Pa would be able to survive a scandal like that.

1. Urban Meyer

2. Bo Pelini

3. Gary Patterson

4. Jon Gruden

5. Mark Dantonio

6. Mark Stoops

7. Gary Pinkel
    Bolded names make the most sense imo.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post

1. Urban Meyer My #1 guess.

2. Bo Pelini Not at this time. Especially with looming sanctions.

3. Gary Patterson Pending move to the Big East, I think he could get TCU to a title game...so I don't think so. But $ talks.

4. Jon Gruden He always shows up on a list. I just don't see him coaching college for some reason. Plus he seems to be set on finishing his MNF contract.

5. Mark Dantonio Don't think so at all.

6. Mark Stoops Definitely could see this.

7. Gary Pinkel IMO a step up from Mizzou, I could see this too.
    My thoughts on that.